PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay @ Shoujocon 2004

Tweener
09-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Hey, guys!

Rachel Ann here. I'm the lady who organized/ran the Cosplay and Hall Fashion and Photo Suite for Shoujocon 2003. Right now I'm debating whether or not I should come back as Staff for Shoujocon 2004 and run the Cosplay again. What I'd like from all of YOU is:

1> What did you like about Shoujocon 2003 Cosplay?
2> What didn't you like?
3> What would you like to see added?
4> What would you like to see changed?

Any and all feedback will be MUCH appreciated! Little or no feedback kinda gives me answers, too, but that would probably result in someone else doing Cosplay, etc. for Shoujocon 2004.

Let me know! (Especially you, Katie Bear, since you were a judge.)

TTFN!
Rachel Ann

Eriol
09-08-2003, 11:20 AM
Hey, guys!

Rachel Ann here. I'm the lady who organized/ran the Cosplay and Hall Fashion and Photo Suite for Shoujocon 2003. Right now I'm debating whether or not I should come back as Staff for Shoujocon 2004 and run the Cosplay again. What I'd like from all of YOU is:

2> What didn't you like?

Any and all feedback will be MUCH appreciated! Little or no feedback kinda gives me answers, too, but that would probably result in someone else doing Cosplay, etc. for Shoujocon 2004.

Let me know! (Especially you, Katie Bear, since you were a judge.)

TTFN!
Rachel Ann

1) From an operations management perspective, your group seem to run very well.

The scoring methodology and its disclosure to the attendees were the best things. Finally, someone in charge who recognizes that the masquerade is a form of entertainment and that performance should count for the majority of the total score. I should hope more masquerades would follow suit.

2) What I didn't like was the use of Polaroids (tm) for hall cosplay. Polaroids may be fast to develop, but none of the hall cosplay photos turned out nearly as well as the digital camera images. Many details were washed out by the polaroids. If the purpose of hall cosplay is to award workmanship, then something that takes more detail into the image is needed.

3) If time were permitting, I would like to see a separate hall cosplay competition in addition to the masquerade. It'd be nice to get a full separation of the two events (for appropriate scoring purposes), but that could be wishful thinking on my part.

4) If you are using the photo ink printer, be sure to add more time for drying. It appears the ink doesn't dry fast enough. Or maybe bring a blow dryer to blow parallel to the photo surface to speed up drying.

Also, instead of a CD-ROM, you may want to offer just a floppy disk option. Writing a single image to a CD-ROM seems incredibly wasteful, and the relative high price on that service for single image seems to be difficult to justify.

If you have the wherewithal, time, and approval of the conchair, I would like to see you back running Cosplay for 2004.

Michela
09-08-2003, 02:39 PM

I *loved* having a rehearsal for the masquerade. My first masquerade esperience was completely ruined by misplaced sound, which could have been fixed by having a practice performance. The rehearsal also allowed Jen and I to get a feel for the stage and the audience, so we performed much better in the actual event. Having a rehearsal was *much* appreciated. Also, having a break between the rehearsal and the event was great; it gave me time to repair my dillapidated wing.

2> What didn't you like?

I liked the use of a rating system, but since it was a *cosplay* contest, I honestly believed the costume points should have been higher, if only by a few points. The performance *is* what's truly important, but I was a bit upset that one or two of the winners were not even in costume, when others poured their heart and souls into their costumes and came home empty-handed. I agree with Eriol about the polaroids, too... though Jen and I were lucky enough to have our picture develop fairly well, I find digital photos are not only better quality, but also more organized.

Toby! XD Since Shoujocon 2003 was my first time at a Shoujocon, I had heard from several attendees that they missed having Toby. Also, craftsmanship awards would be nice for the masquerade.

My Shoujocon experience was great, (I loved the personalized feel of the convention) but I heard a few complaints about the changed location and time... according to a friend of mine, more people would attend if it is not on a major college orientation weekend (I would have to disagree, though, as my friend's entry into college *allowed* us to attend in general, so you have more to consider on this matter.)

I hope this helps!

Eriol
09-08-2003, 03:36 PM
2> What didn't you like?

I liked the use of a rating system, but since it was a *cosplay* contest, I honestly believed the costume points should have been higher, if only by a few points. The performance *is* what's truly important, but I was a bit upset that one or two of the winners were not even in costume, when others poured their heart and souls into their costumes and came home empty-handed.

Now, if the skit requires someone not to be in costume (look normal), then that in itself may be a costume. If the person is portraying a character and isn't in costume, then I would penalize for that. But that really depends if the judges know anything about the characters.

My reason for emphasizing performance is that the judges cannot possibly know every anime character in existence. Therefore, the performance should be emphasized to entertain the audience and the judges. Even if the judges and audience don't quite understand the characters on stage, they can be still entertained.

This is why I thought the hall cosplay and masquerade being kept separate was a good idea, though the hall cosplay photo quality need improvement. That is why if time permits, they should hold a fashion show in addition to the masquerade.