PDA

View Full Version : Kick Ass cosplay

ibrahimpeasnell
04-10-2010, 10:48 AM
I saw this movie recently and though that Hit Girl, Big Daddy, Kick Ass and Red Mist would make a great cosplays, so that's why I have started up this thread. Discussion and misc information about creating cosplays from this movie can be posted here.

Sakanoue Ayame
04-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Yeah! Hit Girl, finally a character who is around my height and wearing what is quite obviously a wig! Someone has to make that bazooka too! (Or at least the jet pack.) Sorry I am a props nerd. I can't wait to make her big long blade stick.

The toughest one to do would seem to be Red Mist all that red leather, nightmare!

ravenmist
04-10-2010, 05:16 PM
I would love to do Hit Girl just for the fact that her outfit has purple in it and she wears a cute purple plaid skirt. Love it! Can't wait to see the movie to see what other costumes there are.

Ishida_Kat
04-10-2010, 06:46 PM
....read the comic.....hit-girl in a school girl outfit is just terrible...........Red-Mist is far from emo, Big-Daddy doesn't look remotely CLOSE to batman......I'm doing a kick-ass group but from the original comic, i think matthew vaughn slaughtered the characters.....

Cole
04-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Someone has to make that bazooka too! (Or at least the jet pack.)

I don't recall jetpacks or bazookas in the original comic, which was about REAL people with NO powers or super tech, being super heroes.

Ishida_Kat
04-10-2010, 06:52 PM
I don't recall jetpacks or bazookas in the original comic, which was about REAL people with NO powers or super tech, being super heroes.

....jetpack? rocket launcher? what the...what did he do to the comic?!

ravenmist
04-10-2010, 10:15 PM
....read the comic.....hit-girl in a school girl outfit is just terrible...........Red-Mist is far from emo, Big-Daddy doesn't look remotely CLOSE to batman......I'm doing a kick-ass group but from the original comic, i think matthew vaughn slaughtered the characters.....

Oooh. I didn't know it was a comic first! Oops. Thanks for the info! I'll go look that up now.

Ishida_Kat
04-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Oooh. I didn't know it was a comic first! Oops. Thanks for the info! I'll go look that up now.
you should check it out. I'm really excited for the movie but the more I hear about it...I guess ....it looks like it slaughtered the comic...*sigh*

Husk
04-11-2010, 08:49 PM
I like the idea of doing comic Hit-Girl.... not partial to the new costume but i'll have to give it time. Honestly I'm really curious as to how this movie will go, Red Mist seems soo different from the trailers...

director91
04-12-2010, 07:42 AM
you should check it out. I'm really excited for the movie but the more I hear about it...I guess ....it looks like it slaughtered the comic...*sigh*

come back when you see the film, seriously, am reading the comics now, they're great and the movie is f-ing epic

there are minor tweaks to the plot to change it from episodic to linear narrative, streamlining it if you will. But for me, best superhero movie. ever. And im a HUGE x-men fan.

I want to do Kick-Ass for Supanova (Australia) next year im tossing up whether to just buy one or make it myself.
And i could probably do fake wounds from the scene where he's beat up the second time.

Chergnomebyl
04-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Well I do need to see this. Just to see what all the talks about.

Ishida_Kat
04-12-2010, 10:21 PM
come back when you see the film, seriously, am reading the comics now, they're great and the movie is f-ing epic

there are minor tweaks to the plot to change it from episodic to linear narrative, streamlining it if you will. But for me, best superhero movie. ever. And im a HUGE x-men fan.

I want to do Kick-Ass for Supanova (Australia) next year im tossing up whether to just buy one or make it myself.
And i could probably do fake wounds from the scene where he's beat up the second time.

Well, I have yet to hear anything NEgative about it....I'm going to an advanced screening on thursday night so I'll see it for myself ^^;

Crucified_Shini
04-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Doing Hit-girl from the movie at Florida Supercon It'll be debuted on Saturday I'm currently making the weapons. Have the wig just need a mask. Boom..be sure to look for me =P

blackflame16
04-17-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm going make Kick-Ass from the movie for one of my friends for next year. I would like to cosplay Hit-Girl, but I know that I'm too tall for that(I'm about 5'11). I'm pretty sure that this will get cosplayed a whole LOT next year.. better start on it before it gets too popular

StrawberrySiren
04-18-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm going to cosplay an older version of Hit Girl. I have decided this. Why? Because I may be short, but I am not a little girl.

PS The movie was fantastic!

CHOCOLAT3 disco
04-18-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm totally going to attempt a Red Mist cosplay now.
His hair/wig is beautiful and I just love the costume's design. 8D

StrawberrySiren
04-18-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm totally going to attempt a Red Mist cosplay now.
His hair/wig is beautiful and I just love the costume's design. 8D

even though he's a little...well...to quote a very potter musical, "ya little sh!* haha

CHOCOLAT3 disco
04-19-2010, 11:24 PM
even though he's a little...well...to quote a very potter musical, "ya little sh!* haha

xD Are you kidding.
I loved the character too. The design is just a bonus for me. lol.

Blanko
04-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Here are my thoughts:

The comic was sooo much better (when is the original not?) but the movie was hilarious on it's own. I didn't like the jet pack but the bazooka was acceptable. Although I would've changed a few things, the fact of the matter is that it is NOT the comic and people need to accept it as a rendering. Even if I personally don't agree with everything.

HOWEVER I honestly think the costumes looked a million times cooler in the movie to be quite honest. Thus; I'm making movie-version Hit-Girl sometime soon C: Possibly AX, or Otakon, or Comic Con because that's acceptable.

EDIT: I totally wish I saw the movie before I read the comic. Reading it first made the movie not as enjoyable.

Lucifer
04-20-2010, 03:38 PM
I read the comic before the movie and enjoyed the movie just as much. In some regards even better. I only curse my adult body or else I'd totally cosplay Hit Girl.

director91
04-25-2010, 08:10 AM
the movie was actually written before the comic was finished.... just a bit of trivia.

Silent Crescendo
04-25-2010, 04:36 PM
HECK YEAH! It's finally time somebody started a thread about this movie. I <3 Hit-Girl and I'm looking for ppl to cosplay Kick-Ass and Red Mist.

StrawberrySiren
04-25-2010, 11:10 PM
I read the comic before the movie and enjoyed the movie just as much. In some regards even better. I only curse my adult body or else I'd totally cosplay Hit Girl.

again. i'm doing adult version since i'm not tiny. btw i love your icon. i loved david tennant but matt smith is proving to be a great doctor. the latest episode was great. aaaanyway...haha.

the movie was actually written before the comic was finished.... just a bit of trivia.

interesting. that should be accompanied with a sign that says "the more you know!"

Geb_Geb
04-26-2010, 10:16 PM
absolutely enjoy the movie! but I really hate the love story with katie, it's wayyyyy better in the comic :P I want to cosplay hitgirl since i'm really small XD but we will see with all my project -_-

Volnixshin
04-27-2010, 07:48 AM
For the sequel, I am planning to go as The Motherfucker.

talkenia
04-27-2010, 02:04 PM
i have a schoolparty i think in two weeks, and i think i'll be going as hitgirl but, it is leather.. and i cant sew any ideas how i can make this costume from scratch? someone must have a leather jacket, now for the leggings and the skirt(?)

StrawberrySiren
04-27-2010, 07:23 PM
you can buy fake leather stuff. hot topic has a pair of pants i've been looking at on clearance. and a lot of stores carry leather-ish leggings. since it's warming up (at least where i am) you may be able to find a leather jacket in the clearance section. the skirt....eh. you may find something similar if you shop around. and...THRIFT STORE.

talkenia
04-28-2010, 03:41 PM
hmm but i am trying to get everything cheap...
i'll try and borrow as much stuff as i can but the leggins, well tnx for the tips anyway

LaPetiteSalope
05-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Cosplaying Hit-Girl is a must for my costume list. (5'0" tall-heck yeah!)

DeficientAtLife
05-01-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm considering doing a tandem cosplay with my little sister, her as Hit Girl, and me as Big Daddy... or, Big Momma rather, ha. Any suggestions on materials to use for Hit Girl's suit the Big Daddy mask?

And yes, the movie version, because although the comic is awesome, the movie is equally awesome, despite all the plot and design changes they made.

Anti Ai-chan
05-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Why have I not been part of this thread?!

My movie version Hit-Girl fabric has already been bought but I'm having difficulties finding knee/elbow pads that look similar to hers. I've also sketched out how her sword/blade/pole-thing will work and all the dimensions on it.

That being said, I'm hoping to finish it all for Fanime in a few weeks. Not sure which day I'll be wearing her but I have a friend who's probably doing Kick-Ass so I'm super stoked!

CiralFox
05-03-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm so going to try to be Hit-Girl at AnimeNext and Connecticon.
If you see a short 5 foot tall girl as Hit-Girl, It's probably me. xD

DarkusAngelus
05-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm going to try pulling together Red Mist. I am so in love with the movie version of the costume. Leather, cape, and wig are so BA.

Faraday
05-03-2010, 09:03 PM
oh my gosh, I'm thinking of a Red Mist costume too! (Nevermind the fact I'm a chick) I'm drafting a pattern right now to see if I could pull it off, we'll see where it goes from there. :)

Devi 1313
05-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Man, I'm having a crazy hard time finding matte metallic purple pvc for a movie version of Hit-Girl. All I find is shiny stuff. Has anyone else had any luck finding some? If not, does anyone know if it's possible to tint pvc? I've seen some matte gunmetal gray stuff that could work.

Phanari
05-04-2010, 04:30 PM
I saw this movie recently and though that Hit Girl, Big Daddy, Kick Ass and Red Mist would make a great cosplays, so that's why I have started up this thread. Discussion and misc information about creating cosplays from this movie can be posted here.

I SO plan on doing Hit Girl one day. I loooove purple!

I wouldn't do the character very well though. Not very flexable. But I am good with a butterfly knife! :D

Phanari
05-04-2010, 04:31 PM
oh my gosh, I'm thinking of a Red Mist costume too! (Nevermind the fact I'm a chick) I'm drafting a pattern right now to see if I could pull it off, we'll see where it goes from there. :)

Well, Red Mist was a very feminine-looking costume. It'd work for a girl if she just bound her chest.

Anti Ai-chan
05-05-2010, 12:20 AM
Man, I'm having a crazy hard time finding matte metallic purple pvc for a movie version of Hit-Girl. All I find is shiny stuff. Has anyone else had any luck finding some? If not, does anyone know if it's possible to tint pvc? I've seen some matte gunmetal gray stuff that could work.

I actually found dark purple vinyl for mine. See crappy Twitpic (http://twitpic.com/1i53p2) photo taken via phone! lol

After looking at the color in several images from the movie, posters, and figurine it's hard to find the exact purple because it changes in every image. In the movie, it's more of a black-ish purple; in the posters it's very bright and shiny, and the figuring is a basic dark purple. The fabric obviously isn't leather like it's supposed to be but carries a similar shine. It's dark purple in flat lighting, black in shadows and brighter purple in highlights.

Long story short, try to find a vinyl because PVC is probably too shiny and looks to be the same color in every type of light/shadow while Hit-Girl's seems to change.

toyempire
05-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Alright, completed my KICK ASS costume. Well sort of, still need the stick holders in the back. Outside of that, complete. See you at Anime Expo, SDCC, and Dragoncon.

StrawberrySiren
05-09-2010, 05:43 PM
haha. lookin snazzy, toyempire!

toyempire
05-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Thanks StrawberrySiren. For the Kick Ass character, does anyone know how the stick holders in the back looks like or how it is made? I cant figure out how to mount it too. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Volnixshin
05-13-2010, 07:52 AM
They'e loops,

GlassCannon
05-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Anyone looking for fabric for Hit Girl, I just got samples in the mail from DistinctiveFabric.com. I got samples of their purple PVC here: http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fabric.php?product=PVC1&palette=special_order and their purple metallic spandex here: http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fabric.php?product=METALSPANDEX They're both really nice, though I'm personally leaning towards the spandex. The spandex is metallic and just a bit shiny, whereas the PVC is flat purple but shinier. Now I just need to figure out how many yards I need, hmm...

Btw, for all the Hit Girls out there, what are you planning to do for the pink utility belt?

Anti Ai-chan
05-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks StrawberrySiren. For the Kick Ass character, does anyone know how the stick holders in the back looks like or how it is made? I cant figure out how to mount it too. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Google is awesome: http://gordonandthewhale.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/kick-ass-20091105023449635.jpg

Anyone looking for fabric for Hit Girl, I just got samples in the mail from DistinctiveFabric.com. I got samples of their purple PVC here: http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fabric.php?product=PVC1&palette=special_order and their purple metallic spandex here: http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fabric.php?product=METALSPANDEX They're both really nice, though I'm personally leaning towards the spandex. The spandex is metallic and just a bit shiny, whereas the PVC is flat purple but shinier. Now I just need to figure out how many yards I need, hmm...

Btw, for all the Hit Girls out there, what are you planning to do for the pink utility belt?
I just bought a light pink PVC for my utility belt. The shade is a tad off but it's pretty freaking close.

GlassCannon
05-13-2010, 10:32 PM
I just bought a light pink PVC for my utility belt. The shade is a tad off but it's pretty freaking close.

Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards too. Just thought I'd check to make sure there's not some super secret utility belt source out there, before I make all those fiddly little pockets by hand. ;P

Biscuit
05-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Well. for the Hit Girl cosplayers (including myself) I found a matte lilac stretch PVC that I think will work for her bodysuit. I ordered some and I'll let you know if it's right when I get it.....don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but it looks pretty identical to her's.....

Anti Ai-chan
05-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards too. Just thought I'd check to make sure there's not some super secret utility belt source out there, before I make all those fiddly little pockets by hand. ;P

UGH! I don't even want to think of those effing pockets! DX

GlassCannon
05-14-2010, 12:39 PM
UGH! I don't even want to think of those effing pockets! DX

Oh I know. I suppose the other option would be to get a premade utility belt in another color and spray paint it. But I think it'll look so much better made from the pink vinyl. I'm trying to look on the bright side -- at least I won't have to work hidden pockets into this cosplay, and if I make the belt by hand, I can make sure I have pockets to fit my phone and camera or whatever. Still, it's going to be tiny and fiddly. xP

Anti Ai-chan
05-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Oh I know. I suppose the other option would be to get a premade utility belt in another color and spray paint it. But I think it'll look so much better made from the pink vinyl. I'm trying to look on the bright side -- at least I won't have to work hidden pockets into this cosplay, and if I make the belt by hand, I can make sure I have pockets to fit my phone and camera or whatever. Still, it's going to be tiny and fiddly. xP

Yeah I'm actually excited to have those pockets even if I don't want to make them. They will be coming in so handy!

GlassCannon
05-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Just found this on Amazon, and was curious if anyone here has bought it, or seen it in person: "Kick-Ass: Creating the Comic, Making the Movie" http://www.amazon.com/Kick-Ass-Creating-Comic-Making-Movie/dp/1848564090 There's a review on Amazon that says that it's a great resource for anyone looking to make costumes from Kick-Ass, since it has more than the usual promotional photography of the costumes. Could be a really good resource for people here. Anyone seen it in person?

Anti Ai-chan
05-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Just found this on Amazon, and was curious if anyone here has bought it, or seen it in person: "Kick-Ass: Creating the Comic, Making the Movie" http://www.amazon.com/Kick-Ass-Creating-Comic-Making-Movie/dp/1848564090 There's a review on Amazon that says that it's a great resource for anyone looking to make costumes from Kick-Ass, since it has more than the usual promotional photography of the costumes. Could be a really good resource for people here. Anyone seen it in person?

I may go and check that out tomorrow! I'll report back with my findings. =3

GlassCannon
05-16-2010, 01:39 AM
I may go and check that out tomorrow! I'll report back with my findings. =3

Ooh, can't wait to hear what you think! :D

toyempire
05-16-2010, 06:51 AM
Hey ebay has a custom made Hit girl outfit available for a buy it now price of $160 + $40 shipping from China for 8 buyers. Purple vinyl jacket, pants, cotton skirt, cape as well as a utility belt. Looks like all you need to get on your own is a mask, wig, gloves, boots and weapons. Of course, your abilty to kick ass varies with your athletic skills and training. What are your thoughts? Does it look good, decent, crap or wow? Is it cost effective vs buying your own materials, time to construct? Is it accurate enough or not enough? Lets hear the feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kick-Ass-Hit-Girl-Costume-Cosplay-Tailor-Made-/400122050505?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2921f7c9

Anti Ai-chan
05-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Ooh, can't wait to hear what you think! :D

Checked it out and it's pretty good! I think the person who was wrote that opinion on Amazon was a bit over the top with some of her statements but it did have some really nice pictures. I mainly focussed on Hit-Girl's section where there is one full-page picture which is really nice. There were a few other pictures of her but nothing compared to the full-page one. I didn't buy it because it wasn't worth it just to have that one picture to reference.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kick-Ass-Hit-Girl-Costume-Cosplay-Tailor-Made-/400122050505?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2921f7c9

There's something about it that just seems off to me and I can't put my finger on it. Not saying that I can do better but it just looks a little... off. =/

GlassCannon
05-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Ah k, good to know about the book. I was poking around online last night and found this page (http://outnow.ch/Movies/2010/Kick-Ass/Bilder/) that has really great high rez pictures, better than I've seen anywhere else before. They're almost all from the movie itself, just one behind the scenes I think, but they're much higher rez than I've seen elsewhere.

As far as the ebay costume, I'm extremely meh on it. It might be because it's on a mannequin, without shoes or anything, but it looks rather lame and thrown together. Though even if it was on a real person that it fit well... The bodysuit is the wrong color purple, and doesn't have any info about one piece vs. two (aka, how to use the bathroom at conventions). The skirt is completely wrong -- wrong plaid, wrong colors, wrong pleating (is it pleated? or gathered? yeesh). The belt is missing the front cylinders and looks too tall, and the lettering looks really sloppy. They don't have any accessories, and it looks mass-produced while claiming not to be. They also claim "screen accurate" which is a huuuuge stretch. Yeah, so downgrade me from "meh" to "wtf??".

I'm really really looking forward to all the reinterpretations of this costume at cons this year. I'm looking forward to the good, the bad, and the ugly. I can't wait to see what various cosplayers choose to do to try to achieve the same look, and how different all the "grown up" Hit Girls (like me) will end up being. If an individual cosplayer had posted this as her first attempt at Hit Girl, I would tell her good job, and happily give her feedback if she wanted it. But for someone to make this as a business, to claim not mass produced and "screen accurate" while looking like that is just an insult, IMO. I think we'll see much better things (and probably a few worse things) out of the fan community has the con season progresses.

GlassCannon
05-24-2010, 03:46 PM
My Hit Girl fabric arrived over the weekend, woot! I ordered purple and black metallic spandex and pink PVC vinyl from DistinctiveFabric.com, and picked up some plaid fabric from JoAnn's and dyed in purple (see attached image). The purple spandex was a bit dark in the sample they sent me, but really nice. When I got the full yardage this weekend and washed it, I was really really happy to find that it faded to a really nice silvery purple. I'm crazy excited about it. :D

I'm still waiting on my wig from CosWorx, and a special zipper I ordered online, but otherwise everything is here. I'm still working on patterns, but this is well underway now!

CiralFox
05-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Her jacket in the movie seemed to me more black than a purple vinyl.
However, what would one do for her pants for someone who is on a budget?
I have pretty much the jacket, boots, gloves, (soon the wig and skirt), and waiting on a friend for the cape, and all I need to figure out is her pants. =/ Also her belt is easy as pie for me. so no worries there.

GlassCannon
05-24-2010, 08:45 PM
After looking at a bunch of photos, I would say her suit is definitely purple, with a serious gun-metal gray undertone. Depending on the lighting it can look purple, gray, or almost black, but in the stills you can tell that there's always a purple tone to it. And the movie posters and action figure/model are definitely purple. (See attached pictures.)

Some people (elsewhere) have mentioned that some shots of Hit Girl in the movie had the color saturation turned up, and the hue tweaked slightly to purple, making the suit (and her wig) appear even more purple than they actually were. But from my perspective, if that's what they wanted her to look like, than that's what the costume looks like, period, regardless of what the suit would look like under normal lighting. JMHO.

As far as the pants, you might want to look into used biking/motorcross pants. Apparently that's what her outfit was in the movie -- children's leathers for motorcross.

jackwabbit
05-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Hi, guys! New here. *waves*

(Though I think I've met GlassCannon in passing on LJ.)

I'm doing movie version Hit Girl, too. I have most of my stuff on order, and plans for the rest.

(Incidentally, on the utility belt question, I am trying a store-bought Batman belt and painting it. I found it for $12 on ebay and since I am a bit of a noob, I really don't want to sew those pockets. I think I'd shoot myself. Or at least bloody all my fingers! If it doesn't work out well, though, I have plenty of time to get some pink vinyl and make one.)

However, I've never designed a pattern. And I'm having a hard time finding a store-bought one to use for the jacket and pants. Does anyone have any suggestions?

jackwabbit
05-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Well. for the Hit Girl cosplayers (including myself) I found a matte lilac stretch PVC that I think will work for her bodysuit. I ordered some and I'll let you know if it's right when I get it.....don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but it looks pretty identical to her's.....

Oh! Please do!

I googled "matte lilac stretch PVC" and found an exciting one, too. I'm ordering a swatch to start! I'll share if it looks right!

GlassCannon
05-31-2010, 11:06 PM
Hi, guys! New here. *waves*

(Though I think I've met GlassCannon in passing on LJ.)

I'm doing movie version Hit Girl, too. I have most of my stuff on order, and plans for the rest.

(Incidentally, on the utility belt question, I am trying a store-bought Batman belt and painting it. I found it for $12 on ebay and since I am a bit of a noob, I really don't want to sew those pockets. I think I'd shoot myself. Or at least bloody all my fingers! If it doesn't work out well, though, I have plenty of time to get some pink vinyl and make one.)

However, I've never designed a pattern. And I'm having a hard time finding a store-bought one to use for the jacket and pants. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi Wabbit! Welcome to cosplay.com! :D

As far as the pattern issue, it depends a bit on what sort of look you want, and what fabric you're planning to use. If you want a fairly fitted look, then a bodysuit/catsuit pattern is probably the way to go. KwikSew has a couple leotard patterns that are usually available in normal fabric stores, and there are lots of tutorials online for making your own bodysuit pattern, with stretchy.org probably being the best (that I've seen). This way will work well with lycra/spandex or stretchy and lightweight PVC.

For the more "biking leathers" look, you'll probably want to go with just a regular jacket pattern and a pants pattern. The important thing is just to look for the right lines in the pattern -- the jacket should be cut close to the body, with straight long sleeves, and a stand-up "Mandarin" style collar, and a place to put a zipper in the front; the pants should be cut close to the body, and either straight leg or slightly tapered at the ankle (particularly if you're going to wear them tucked into boots as in the movie). The pants should be pretty easy to find. For the jacket, something like view A here (http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1036-products-7890.php?page_id=262), view C on this one (http://www.simplicity.com/p-1948-missmiss-petite-jackets.aspx), or jacket A here (http://www.simplicity.com/p-2191-missplus-size-sportswear.aspx) could all work pretty well. I think this would probably work better with heavier PVC, leather, etc, since lycra wouldn't hold it's shape very well with a cut like this.

I'm going with the more fitted look and drafting my own pattern, so I can't give specifics on which patterns I'm using, but hopefully that helps. And welcome again! (Oh, and on the DragonCon section of the forums here, there's a Kick-Ass thread as well. We're hoping to plan a meetup, you should stop by the thread and say hi. ;) )

CiralFox
06-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Well my outfit won't be exactly close to her outfit, but I know that people will know who I am.
I just got the wig today as well as the skirt and leggings for the pants.
It's coming together well in my opinion.
http://i45.tinypic.com/20qkrvp.jpg

Just have to make the mask, hem the skirt, put the "knee pads" on the knees, and put the HG on the belt.

jackwabbit
06-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Hi Wabbit! Welcome to cosplay.com! :D

As far as the pattern issue, it depends a bit on what sort of look you want, and what fabric you're planning to use. If you want a fairly fitted look, then a bodysuit/catsuit pattern is probably the way to go. KwikSew has a couple leotard patterns that are usually available in normal fabric stores, and there are lots of tutorials online for making your own bodysuit pattern, with stretchy.org probably being the best (that I've seen). This way will work well with lycra/spandex or stretchy and lightweight PVC.

For the more "biking leathers" look, you'll probably want to go with just a regular jacket pattern and a pants pattern. The important thing is just to look for the right lines in the pattern -- the jacket should be cut close to the body, with straight long sleeves, and a stand-up "Mandarin" style collar, and a place to put a zipper in the front; the pants should be cut close to the body, and either straight leg or slightly tapered at the ankle (particularly if you're going to wear them tucked into boots as in the movie). The pants should be pretty easy to find. For the jacket, something like view A here (http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1036-products-7890.php?page_id=262), view C on this one (http://www.simplicity.com/p-1948-missmiss-petite-jackets.aspx), or jacket A here (http://www.simplicity.com/p-2191-missplus-size-sportswear.aspx) could all work pretty well. I think this would probably work better with heavier PVC, leather, etc, since lycra wouldn't hold it's shape very well with a cut like this.

I'm going with the more fitted look and drafting my own pattern, so I can't give specifics on which patterns I'm using, but hopefully that helps. And welcome again! (Oh, and on the DragonCon section of the forums here, there's a Kick-Ass thread as well. We're hoping to plan a meetup, you should stop by the thread and say hi. ;) )

Thanks! I appreciate the pointers!

I think I'm going to try for a biker look, but I'm not sure. If it's too hard for me, then I'll go the catsuit way. I do have a friend of a friend who is a seamstress and would probably help, but I want to make my own suit, so...we'll see.

I am going to tuck in the pants and the sleeves for that matter. Boots and gloves.

jackwabbit
06-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Thanks, GlassCannon! I appreciate the pointers!

I think I'm going to try for a biker look, but I'm not sure. If it's too hard for me, then I'll go the catsuit way. I do have a friend of a friend who is a seamstress and would probably help, but I want to make my own suit, so...we'll see.

I am going to tuck in the pants and the sleeves for that matter. Boots and gloves.

Oh, and I will check out the other thread you mentioned. I did a Disney photoshoot last D*C with some peeps from here, and I'm totally game to do a Kick Ass one.

jackwabbit
06-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Well my outfit won't be exactly close to her outfit, but I know that people will know who I am.
I just got the wig today as well as the skirt and leggings for the pants.
It's coming together well in my opinion.
http://i45.tinypic.com/20qkrvp.jpg

Just have to make the mask, hem the skirt, put the "knee pads" on the knees, and put the HG on the belt.

People will indeed know who you are. And you're much farther along than I am!

toyempire
06-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Heres a pic of Hit Girl from Fanime.

Silvana_Girl
06-03-2010, 12:57 AM
I was bad and decided to buy a wig today in the Cosworx sale for a Hit Girl project I'm working on for Dragon*Con. I just saw the movie yesterday at our $2.00 theater and I LOVED it.

GlassCannon
06-03-2010, 02:53 AM
Yay, welcome to the fun! :D Which wig did you get, btw? I ordered the Angie N in dark purple, and it should arrive tomorrow.

Btw, be sure to check out the Kick-Ass thread in the Dragon*Con forum here too. There's talk of a meetup/photoshoot, 7pm on Saturday I think. Could be fun to get a picture of all the Hit Girls!

GlassCannon
06-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Just a quick update: my Cosworx wig arrived today. The "dark purple" is perfect and awesome, a very nice saturated royal purple. The Angie N style is a good match for the movie wig. It's a bit shorter in back than I think the wig is in the movie (more of an angled bob than a regular bob), but it's very close. I'm quite happy with it. :)

jackwabbit
06-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Hey, guys. Sorry for the double post above. The forum was giving me issues the other night.

My bad.

Nothing new to report on my end. Waiting for stuff to get here in the mail!

jackwabbit
06-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Update here: I got my wig today. I ordered one from cosplaydna, and it looks great! Color is a nice dark purple (I was worried it'd be pinkish or whatever) and the cut is perfect. Longer than the Angie N but still a short bob. More chin length than cheek length.

Also, I found this scan of an article that might help some cosplayers out. Has some views I hadn't seen of Big Daddy, Red Mist, Kick Ass, and yes, Hit Girl.

http://tonberryfx.livejournal.com/8851.html#cutid1

CiralFox
06-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Hey Hey Hey people!
I have posted my Hit Girl cosplay in my profile!
Look to check it out! =3

GlassCannon
06-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Hey Hey Hey people!
I have posted my Hit Girl cosplay in my profile!
Look to check it out! =3

Look great! And looks like you had a lot of fun at the photoshoot! ;)

erised
06-22-2010, 10:00 PM
well, i like many others am working on a Hit Girl costume (for Wizard World Chicago/Chicago Comic Con, whichever you want to call it, in August).

I have all of my fabric and materials, have the boots, wig etc. cut out all of my fabric the other day but finally did start the sewing process tonight (i procrastinate, lol).

I finished my skirt tonight (i just have to add fasteners for the skirt, minor detail to finish later). I will just say this, the COLOR in this picture is not the real color, indoor at night pictures suck. the purple is a much nicer purple and very close to the appropriate color. i dyed some plaid fabric to make it the correct purple. anyways. rambling. here is the picture.

BAMF
06-23-2010, 06:51 AM

Geez calm down, the movie and the comic were made practically at the same time. It's not like the comic was a famous or iconic story that could never be tampered with.
Both comic and movie are great in their own right.

I'm cosplaying as movie Hit-Girl this weekend at Supanova, I'll post photos soon.

jackwabbit
06-23-2010, 02:52 PM
well, i like many others am working on a Hit Girl costume (for Wizard World Chicago/Chicago Comic Con, whichever you want to call it, in August).

I have all of my fabric and materials, have the boots, wig etc. cut out all of my fabric the other day but finally did start the sewing process tonight (i procrastinate, lol).

I finished my skirt tonight (i just have to add fasteners for the skirt, minor detail to finish later). I will just say this, the COLOR in this picture is not the real color, indoor at night pictures suck. the purple is a much nicer purple and very close to the appropriate color. i dyed some plaid fabric to make it the correct purple. anyways. rambling. here is the picture.

Your skirt looks great! I was planning on using a simple black and purple number I already had, but now I'm considering making one. Where did you find that particular plaid fabric? It looks like the pattern of it is close to the tartan HG wears in the movie. Well done!

An update on my costume: my fabric came in just today, and I think it will work very well. We'll see. I have enlisted an expert sewer to help me with my jacket/pants, since I'm a novice. But I'm making my cape and everything else myself and it's coming along nicely.

jackwabbit
06-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Geez calm down, the movie and the comic were made practically at the same time. It's not like the comic was a famous or iconic story that could never be tampered with.
Both comic and movie are great in their own right.

I'm cosplaying as movie Hit-Girl this weekend at Supanova, I'll post photos soon.

Agreed. I am considering doing a lock on my movie version cape closure just for fun/in homage to the comic character, but I'm not sure on that yet.

jackwabbit
06-23-2010, 02:54 PM
By the way, in case anyone else is interested, here is the fabric I'm using for the jacket and pants. (And the reason I got help. Dude. Not the easiest to work with.)

http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/Fetish-Wet-Stretch-Vinyl-PVC/Lilac-Matte-Finish-Stretch-Vinyl/580/225

GlassCannon
06-23-2010, 03:56 PM
I finished my skirt tonight (i just have to add fasteners for the skirt, minor detail to finish later).

Hey, I finished sewing the fasteners on my skirt yesterday as well! (While on a work Skype call, yay for multitasking!) I had a hard time trying to get a picture of myself wearing it. The one attached is pretty good, but in person the skirt is more true purple, less blue. And what looks like white lines in the plaid there are actually little silver threads worked into the plaid. They're just a bit sparkley in person. I ended up dying some fabric as well, since I couldn't find a good purple and black plaid anywhere. I'm really really happy with how this came out, and now it's on to the leggings!

erised
06-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Hey, I finished sewing the fasteners on my skirt yesterday as well! (While on a work Skype call, yay for multitasking!) I had a hard time trying to get a picture of myself wearing it. The one attached is pretty good, but in person the skirt is more true purple, less blue. And what looks like white lines in the plaid there are actually little silver threads worked into the plaid. They're just a bit sparkley in person. I ended up dying some fabric as well, since I couldn't find a good purple and black plaid anywhere. I'm really really happy with how this came out, and now it's on to the leggings!

hey! i think we used the same skirt fabric! lol! and in response to Jackwabbit's question, i got that plaid at Joanns and died it a darker purple color. :)

jackwabbit
06-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Looks good, glasscannon!

And as for JoAnne's, well, maybe my local store sucks, but I couldn't find a good plaid anywhere. I was looking for a black and white and I was planning on dying it, but so far no luck. I'm sure I'll find some, though.

GlassCannon
06-24-2010, 02:33 AM
Wabbit, when I went a few weeks back they had some spring suiting in nice plaids. I almost walked by this one, because I was looking for a black and white one too. The one I got was baby pink and baby blue, with dark-ish gray and thin silver stripes, and was a rayon-poly blend. I got two packets of that iDye brand dye, one for cotton/rayon/wool and one for polyester. I think the rayon one was "Purple" and the polyester one was "Violet", but I might have those switched.

In any case, because I used two slightly different colors of dye, and because the fabric started out as pink and blue, up close the purple is actually two slightly different colors, it's really really pretty. And the silver didn't take the dye at all, so that was awesome. ;)

jackwabbit
06-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Ah-ha! I didn't think about that! I will look to see if there are other-colored plain patterns that will work! Thanks!

jackwabbit
06-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Look what I found!

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/jedivet/08130bbd.jpg

Skirt fabric!

jackwabbit
07-07-2010, 07:36 PM
I finished my skirt/kilt! I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

Keep in mind that I've only sewn one piece of clothing on my own ever and that was my Hit Girl cape, so...yeah. I think this came out very well.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/jedivet/DSC00701.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/jedivet/DSC00702.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/jedivet/DSC00703.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/jedivet/DSC00704.jpg

GlassCannon
07-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Looks awesome, wabbit!

I sewed the sleeves onto my shirt/jacket/top-thing yesterday. This is my first time working with stretch fabric this tightly fitted, and I'm very happy with how it's going. Need to add a collar and then it's on to the leggings, and then the belt. I'll see about getting photos of everything sometime soon.

jackwabbit
07-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Looks awesome, wabbit!

I sewed the sleeves onto my shirt/jacket/top-thing yesterday. This is my first time working with stretch fabric this tightly fitted, and I'm very happy with how it's going. Need to add a collar and then it's on to the leggings, and then the belt. I'll see about getting photos of everything sometime soon.

Thanks! It sounds like your costume is coming along, too. Yay!

I am nearly done with everything except my jacket and pants, which a friend is helping me with. I have all my fabric, but I won't see her until next week, so that's when we'll start that!

Here's my cape. I don't have good in use pics yet, though.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/jedivet/IMG_4048.jpg

Oh, and since I posted those pics, I completely finished the skirt. (It had no closures earlier and does now. The waist lies better now.) I also have huge safety pins out in the garage drying. They've been painted black, see. I just couldn't use a brass one (which is all I had) for my "kilt pin." Should be dry soon! I figured I'd do several, just in case.

jackwabbit
07-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Ah-ha! I found this! It took me forever! (Never would have thought to look for Kick-Ass in movies, even though most of us are doing movie version costumes. I kept searching "other costumes," since it hadn't been moved yet last time I was here, and "comics," since that is the source material. Simply did not occur to me to look in "movies," and it still feels wrong somehow. Oh, well.)

Nothing else to say. Was just trying to find my photobucket links easily to copy for someone else without having to go to Photobucket on this computer.

Dude. Crazy.

GlassCannon
07-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Lol yeah, when I saw they were reorganizing I was wondering where this thread would end up. I suppose this thread has been mostly movie, and someone could start a comic-only one if they wanted.

I'm slowly making progress on my costume. With DragonCon less than 50 days away now, I really need to buckle down and finish. The skirt has been finished for awhile now, and just finished the top today (well, finished enough). I'm working on the belt now, and all those little fiddly pouches (making them big enough to store my iphone and con badge etc, woot). I ordered a belt buckle blank online, hopefully that'll be here soon. Then it's just finishing the leggings and mask, making the gloves, and deciding on a cape. Pretty happy with how it's coming along.

jackwabbit
07-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Well, my wandering online paid off tonight! New pics!

Nice, glasscannon!

I wondered what your "adult interpretation" would be like - it's cool! Not too, um...adult.

And I guess you're really going to make me do this, huh?

Here's mine so far. I took the pics a week or so ago, but hadn't posted them anywhere yet.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/jedivet/Edit2.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/jedivet/Edit1.jpg

Interestingly, lighting seems to make a huge difference in the look of this costume. I think I kind of like that. Seems a bit true to the source, no?

What I have left: belt (mostly done if I go with my original idea, but I may scrap it and start over), pants, and jacket. A friend is helping with my pants and jacket and she already has the fabric. Should be ready mid-August.

Then I may (MAY) make weapons. Haven't decided yet on that. Will depend on time, etc.

I know I am waiting until next year to add the ALICE suspenders, pistol belt, brass knuckles, holsters, knife sheath, and grenade. (The final battle accessories.) However, I might make up a staff or bladed staff or katanas. We'll see.

GlassCannon
07-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I'm trying to carefully tread the line on "too adult". When I saw the movie the first time, I left the theater wishing it had been an origins movie, and that there tons and tons of back issues (like with Batman or XMen) that I could go read to see who those characters grow up to be. Red Mist and Hit Girl in particular are set up to have very interesting angst as adults, and to be the sort of character where you never quite know if they're a good guy or a bad guy.

So my plan for this costume from the beginning has been sort of "Hit Girl, 10 years later". She tried to live a normal life, but what she went through with her dad really changed her. So as a young adult she's back behind the mask, still tough and snarky but a bit darker, bit more goth or punk edge to her. A bit sexy too, but in a tough, I-can-kill-you-if-I-feel-like-it sort of way, not in a pin-up sort of way.

Anyway, I have no idea what the reaction to an early 20s, somewhat goth Hit Girl will be, but I'm really happy with how it's coming along. ;)

jackwabbit
07-20-2010, 04:28 PM
You make a valid point about her angst and moral ambiguity.

Maybe that's why I like her!

I think your version/vision works. As you say, you want to toe the line but not go to far, because then it's just well, too far from the character, etc.

I think you'll be fine.

I'm curious what the reaction to a *cough* mid-thirties Hit Girl will be, but whatever. I don't care. I'm having fun with it, and I know I look way younger than that, so...whatever.

Cotton Spores
07-20-2010, 08:03 PM
OMG, just saw Kick-ass. That greenish-blue and yellow costume is sooo freaking awesome... I'd like to have one, but I would be too ashamed to wear it on public.

GlassCannon
07-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Finished the leggings yesterday, and most of the belt the day before. Still need to add snaps to the pouches, but otherwise the belt is done. Just need gloves and a cape now. Still trying to decide between the two wigs I have, and might manage to squeeze in some weapon building before DragonCon. Pretty happy with how it's coming along!

jackwabbit
07-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Looks good! I think I like the shorter wig, but it's hard to say without seeing it in person, and of course how it feels and all that is a factor, too.

I still think you've done an admirable job on riding the line of adult versus too adult.

When I decided to cosplay Hit Girl, the one thing that gave me pause was that I thought some folks would go too far across that line and make her, well, slutty, and I didn't want to play that game. You didn't do that IMHO, but given your, um, curves, you couldn't exactly go little girl with her either.

So, I think you're looking good, kid!

Now, I'm barely an A cup, so...I think I can get away with going with the younger (albeit taller) version of Hit Girl.

I'm happy with where I am, too. My belt is nearly done. I just have to make my buckle and apply a final layer of clear coat (I painted a Batman utility belt after removing all the pockets and moving them plus adding the PVC pipe pieces, and I think it's going to work fine.) I just have the jacket and pants to go, and they should be ready mid-August.

By the way, I saw your post on Replica Props Forum. I am having the same thoughts about making weapons. Thanks for posting there. Seems like there is some good advice. I'm still not sure that I'll find the time to do them, but I'd sure like to make a Mindy Stick. The staff part is easy, but the blades are more difficult.

I'm checking a bag for D*C for sure, so that's not an issue for me, but...

I'm just not sure my carving skills are good enough to make those.

We'll see!

GlassCannon
07-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I'm still hoping I get some time to try to tackle the bladed staff, but we'll see how it looks once I've got all the other pieces finished (hopefully finishing the cape today, then it's just snaps for the pouches, and various little hooks-and-eyes). I've heard good things about carving insulation foam, but like you I'm not sure how good my carving skills are, hehe. I'd love to be able to put together a full-sized bladed staff that disassembles small enough to easily mail, but mostly because it's an interesting design restriction, hehe.

So since SDCC was this past weekend, I thought I'd go looking around for pictures of other HitGirl costumers. Not much posted yet, but I think we've all been outdone by this one (http://ic2.pbase.com/g1/49/183449/2/125835969.JWuXPMqs.jpg). ;)

jackwabbit
07-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Well, I bit the bullet and started a Mindy Stick.

The staff is the garage with a first layer of paint on it now. Easy-peasy.

The blades are in the basement, waiting to be attached/glued to the staff. I carved some foam swords. They aren't perfect, but I think they'll get the point across, and I KNOW they'll be 100% both con and TSA safe.

Let's see. I took a pic on my phone. Let me see if I can upload it real quick. Nah. No time now. I'll post some in a bit.

My belt, though, is coming along very well, I think.

http://twitpic.com/290phv

(Note that nothing is attached here. Just sitting there. I sure hope I don't make anything crooked when it comes time to attach! This is currently in the clear coat drying phase now.)

kojirojames2004
08-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Well jackwabbit, do you think you can pull off the schoolgirl version of her alter ego?

http://calitreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/kick-ass-hit-girl.jpg

toyempire
08-03-2010, 03:19 AM
SDCC was a blast. As expected, I counted about 5 kick ass costumes, 5 hit girls, including a cute little 4 yr old and one big daddy. No red mist.

Heres some pics from Eurobeat king:

http://www.acparadise.com/acs/display.php?p=411339

Make sure you press previous or next to see different views.

jackwabbit
08-04-2010, 12:22 AM
Well jackwabbit, do you think you can pull off the schoolgirl version of her alter ego?

http://calitreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/kick-ass-hit-girl.jpg

Not without a wig and some self-confidence! *g*

jackwabbit
08-04-2010, 12:27 AM
SDCC was a blast. As expected, I counted about 5 kick ass costumes, 5 hit girls, including a cute little 4 yr old and one big daddy. No red mist.

Heres some pics from Eurobeat king:

http://www.acparadise.com/acs/display.php?p=411339

Make sure you press previous or next to see different views.

Thanks for sharing these! At least it wasn't overrun with Hit Girls, huh?

jackwabbit
08-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Here's where I'm at:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/jedivet/DSC00834E.jpg

Devi 1313
08-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Hey guys! I'm finally getting mine going! I found the perfect vinyl on ebay, of all places! Unfortunately my wig is the same color as my vinyl so I have to dye that darker. I'm really hoping to have it done in time for Dragon*Con!

Bo0Do0
08-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Sup everyone. I'm late, aren't I?

I made Movie versions of Red Mist and Kick-Ass for Otakon 2010. :)

Jackofalltrades
08-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Going as Hit Girl! :toothy:

toyempire
08-05-2010, 11:54 AM
What about the parade? Is there going to be Kick Ass movie/comic characters marching?

GlassCannon
08-05-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm not planning on marching in the parade (it'll be a miracle if I actually get up in time to even watch it), but it might be worth trying to hook up with the Superhero Costuming Forums guys (thesuperherocostumingforum.com (http://thesuperherocostumingforum.com/)) and marching with them, if you want to be in the parade.

jackwabbit
08-05-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm marching in the parade in the periodic table group, but not in any Kick-Ass group. Frankly, I think I would pass out if I marched as Hit Girl. It's hot under all that! *g*

If you decided not to go superhero in the parade, you're welcome to join us in the geekiest group of all. Check out this post if you're interested!

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=215169

Bo0Do0
08-05-2010, 10:29 PM
I almost want to go the D*C just to see that! Hahaha.

toyempire
08-06-2010, 04:50 AM
Another set of pics from SDCC
http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/188342/

jackwabbit
08-07-2010, 04:19 PM
I almost want to go the D*C just to see that! Hahaha.

I did it last year, too. It was a blast. I was concerned no one would recognize what we were, but I shouldn't have been worried. The crowd totally got it and cheered us like crazy. At the end, they started an "elements!" chant. It was too funny.

SpartanNinja
08-08-2010, 11:16 AM
My girlfriend is very much wanting to go to Dragon*Con as Red Mist. She's making very good progress with her costume, but the parts that she's having issues with are his armor. His gloves, gauntlets, etc. I honestly can't remember off-hand if he has anything on his legs (she's way more into Kick-Ass than I am), but if anybody knows where we might be able to acquire such armor, then that information would be very much appreciated.

From what I can tell, it seems to be modified motorcycle armor. I have similar gear for my bike, but nothing that looks exactly the same or has the same coloring.

Bo0Do0, your costume looks rather fantastic! I'd be very interested in hearing about the construction of yours.

This has just been a very frustrating time for her as far as costuming. Her MacBook just crapped out on her and has to be sent off for repairs, so she lost all of her reference photos that she's been collecting. I'm just trying to help her out as best I can by finding out as much info as possible to make things easier once she has the pictures back again.

GlassCannon
08-08-2010, 12:40 PM
SpartanNinja, that's awesome! Does she know about the Kick-Ass meetup? (Saturday 7pm, Marriott Atrium, everyone welcome.) I would love to get pictures with her.

I took a quick look around for some RedMist reference pictures showing the armor. From here (http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/images/2010/02/Kick-Ass-Red-Mist-Body.jpg) and here (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_38S3GvMLsqg/SlW_5-ZGdII/AAAAAAAAAGA/h30_QF75ylA/s1600-h/Red-Mist.jpg), it looks like silver guards on his ankles and wrists, along with black gloves and black boots. The gloves themselves shouldn't be too difficult -- a lot of costuming stores carry basic black gloves, and there's a pattern here (http://www.stretchy.org/catsuits/options/gloves/) that's pretty simple and quick. For the guards, something like soccer shin guards covered in silver fabric or painted silver would look right, I think. (Maybe kid's shin guards for her wrists?)

There are a couple of cosplayers out there who have completed Red Mist costumes, and it looks like some used varying thicknesses of metal (here (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2647366/) and here (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2539594/)), and others used posterboard or cardbord painted silver, I think (maybe?) (here (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2612833/)). Might be worth asking some of these guys for suggestions, too (several of whom have been posting on this topic, I think).

Tell her good luck, and hi from us! :D

jackwabbit
08-08-2010, 10:04 PM
SpartanNinja - I just wanted to say that I think you're awesome, too. Helping out like this is fabulous! Well done!

Glasscannon already covered everything I can think of, though, so I'm no new help.

Good luck!

Also, glasscannon?

It's about 90% likely that I will not make the Kick-Ass photoshoot, as much as I'd like to. I've been involved in Browncoats: Redemption since 2008, and I can't bail on that. That said, I have some time free earlier on Saturday (maybe even right before seven? like six or six thirty?) that I could meet up with you/any others willing to give it a go a bit earlier.

Let me know. I'm sure we can work something out so that we at least get to meet up.

GlassCannon
08-08-2010, 11:50 PM
I hear you on the Browncoat loyalty Wabbit, hehe. I might go to the Steampunk world record attempt, if I can get stuff together in the next three weeks. But that's at 4, so even if I do go to that I could probably be in Hit Girl gear by 5:30. I'm all for running around a bit before the 7:00 meetup. When does Redemption start?

jackwabbit
08-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Redemption is at 7:00 in the Westin.

And I need a clothes change before I go.

I'd really like to go to the Trek record attempt, but I'm not sure Redemption will be done on time. Esp since Trek is in the Sheraton. But I'm considering attending Redemption in Trek gear with my Redemption t-shirt on underneath (I'll just carry my tunic until time to go to the Sheraton). That way, I can jet out of there right when it's over and get to Trek.

So, you see my dilemma. I will likely do Hit Girl for the Super Hero record attempt (I signed up and I'd feel bad if I bailed) at 1 and then stay in that get-up until about 6 or 6:30, I think. Then quick run to room to change and shower and off to Redemption.

At least that's my current plan.

But man, oh, man do I want to do the Kick-Ass shoot. I'd love to pose some fight shots, etc.

It's still up in the air, but I just doubt it...sigh...

jackwabbit
08-09-2010, 12:54 PM
PS-I know Hit Girl isn't really a "super" hero, but she was discussed in the LJ com on the subject and seems to qualify. Also, I've seen the footage from the Austrailian record holding attempt, and there are a few of her there, so...

tanik
08-10-2010, 10:55 PM
I am working on a Kick-Ass inspired costume: Gamer Girl -- complete with Nintendo parts. haha Hopefully it won't look too dorky. I will post final pics later, but I wanted to reply on here because I love that you guys are doing it for D*Con!

Bo0Do0
08-11-2010, 11:25 PM
My girlfriend is very much wanting to go to Dragon*Con as Red Mist. She's making very good progress with her costume, but the parts that she's having issues with are his armor. His gloves, gauntlets, etc. I honestly can't remember off-hand if he has anything on his legs (she's way more into Kick-Ass than I am), but if anybody knows where we might be able to acquire such armor, then that information would be very much appreciated.

From what I can tell, it seems to be modified motorcycle armor. I have similar gear for my bike, but nothing that looks exactly the same or has the same coloring.

Bo0Do0, your costume looks rather fantastic! I'd be very interested in hearing about the construction of yours.

This has just been a very frustrating time for her as far as costuming. Her MacBook just crapped out on her and has to be sent off for repairs, so she lost all of her reference photos that she's been collecting. I'm just trying to help her out as best I can by finding out as much info as possible to make things easier once she has the pictures back again.

Mine's just plastic sheeting painted silver! With brads for the knuckles :)
If you want great reference pics, buy the DVD. There's a whole set of photos of his costume on there. I wish I had them when I was making the costume.

OMGwyn
08-17-2010, 09:15 PM
WOOO!!!!

Started sewing on my RedMist cosplay!!!
I'm freaking out, just wanted to share xD

Kickarse
10-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Hello all, new here (obviously lol) I'm glad to see other people have an interest in cosplaying Kick-ass characters. I usually go all-out for costumes, but this year I decided I just wanted to do something simple, but cool. So I decided to go as Kick-ass himself. But since my sewing skills .. don't really exist, and lord knows I don't have the money to create the most accurate costume ever... I decided to take the easy/lazy route and just buy the typical costume shop version of it;

http://www.halloweenexpress.com/kickass-movie-adult-costume-small-p-21556.html

A bit on the pricy side but, it's not bad. I just got the costume in the mail, and like we all know, it rarely actually matches the picture on the package. This is no exception.

The bodysuit actually has great dark colors, but all the yellow threads are only sewn by one side, so the other half is popping upward a bit.

The size SMALL is incredibly tight! Even though I'm not very slim, i'll have to work out this month for it to fit comfortably.

The gloves are kind of weird. They have five fingers, but the pinky and the thumb aren't exactly specified, it's anyones guess which way they're meant to go on.

The zipper in the back is also something of a problem, it's thin and white, and without help from someone to zip it up, the teeth of the zipper often pull apart if you move too fast.

But besides the nitpicks, my big nag is with the mask. This came with a size small? The thing is HUGE! I guess I'll just have to pull the back of the mask tighter and roll it to get it to fit properly.

Just thought I'd share that for anyone else who is curious about this costume. Not the best, but not the worse. But eh, it'll suffice for Halloween, and isn't too hot like a real wet suit might be. I don't think I'm going to do the batons or baton holder on the back just yet.

If anything, this costume is worth getting for someone who might aspire to use this one as a reference for making a better one :)

Kickarse
10-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Eventually I'd like to make a better one from the cheap one I bought, any tips at all would be appreciated!

mongoose
10-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Ack, count me in as another that really wants to cosplay Hit-Girl. If I can make it to D*Con next year I'll try to fit it in then, but I never get to gooo;; everyone's Kick-Ass cosplays look so great though * A* What do you guys think would be good to make her huge double-bladed staff out of? Though I'm not sure if the con weapons policy would even allow it at all.. OTL

buggirl101
10-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Hi all! I'm currently working on a Hit Girl cosplay, AND a Big Daddy cosplay. (Both for me...acually.) I love Big Daddy in the movie, so, I figured it'd be good 'manly-man' practice. XD Despite my ttiiinnnnyyyy little girl figure. I'll just be a short BD that's all.

Anyway, I've gotten some basic stuff for Big Daddy. Black material for the shirt, and a large child sized 'muscle-man' foam-chest. I'll spray-paint it black so if anything does end up showing it won't be bright neon red. I ordered the boots. And I'm going to my local motorcycle shops for the pants, and lowes for some sofa-foam for the toned legs. I'll have to go to the local Spirit Halloween to find a 'batman' mask to modify.

Aaannnndddd nothing started on Hit Girl yet. XD Anyway, I just wanted to join the epic Kick-Ass-ness.

EternalMoon19
10-29-2010, 05:24 AM
I can't believe I JUST now found this Thread. Fail.
Oh well. I'm the girlfriend SpartanNinja was talking about. Managed to finish my red mist and am working on MotherFucker now :B
I like to think it came out pretty good. I have real armor and hand made gloves. Opted to dye my hair, because his wig is one that I'm going to take the time to custom dye and weft together and I want it to look amazing. I don't just want to buy one and cut it up, because I'm a costume Nazi XD
I also didn't bind my chest this time, I probably will later, but for now, I'm Red Mist with bewbs. Lol. :spinner:

alicecullen
10-29-2010, 07:38 PM
I can't believe I JUST now found this Thread. Fail.
Oh well. I'm the girlfriend SpartanNinja was talking about. Managed to finish my red mist and am working on MotherFucker now :B
I like to think it came out pretty good. I have real armor and hand made gloves. Opted to dye my hair, because his wig is one that I'm going to take the time to custom dye and weft together and I want it to look amazing. I don't just want to buy one and cut it up, because I'm a costume Nazi XD
I also didn't bind my chest this time, I probably will later, but for now, I'm Red Mist with bewbs. Lol. :spinner:

oh my god, i LOVE it. fantastic! you look super hot, lol.

EternalMoon19
12-11-2010, 08:18 PM
oh my god, i LOVE it. fantastic! you look super hot, lol.

Haha Thank you so much! <3

jackwabbit
05-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Hey, guys. I'm working on new costumes for D*C, and it occurs to me that I never shared the results of this one! Well, I think I've figured out this site enough to do so, so here you go.

What do you think?

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/209292/

jackwabbit
06-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Ack, count me in as another that really wants to cosplay Hit-Girl. If I can make it to D*Con next year I'll try to fit it in then, but I never get to gooo;; everyone's Kick-Ass cosplays look so great though * A* What do you guys think would be good to make her huge double-bladed staff out of? Though I'm not sure if the con weapons policy would even allow it at all.. OTL

Obscenely late response, but I'm playing around tonight, so whatever...

I made my Mindy stick out of PVC and two foam swords. I just shaped them a bit to fit the shape after removing the handles and then attached them to the PVC (which was the tricky part - I glued the usual sticks inside the swords, then made them much bigger with electrical tape going around and around them and just jammed them into the PVC super tightly so they stuck). No troubles at all with con security with that.