PDA

View Full Version : Cosplaying an original character?

Amanita
04-13-2010, 01:51 AM
If you're cosplaying an original character, what's the best way to do it without ending up like the infamous "Digimon King"?
Obviously an original creation is going to require some explaining to the curious, since you're not an immediately recognizable character. But how do you make sure you don't go over the top like the DK did?

Aside from overly long-winded explanations, just what was so bad about digimon king, anyhow? I've never seen the guy but I keep hearing stories.

Kobalos
04-13-2010, 02:23 AM
Hmm I have never heard of him lol But I am going as a original character, on th upcomming expo, its a cat/person type thin so I dont know how peeps well react lol

Amanita
04-13-2010, 02:30 AM
Ooh, nice Sesshomaru outfit! I've got an action figure of him sitting on my bookcase:)

I'm designing a Chrysler building cosplay at the moment, that one's gonna be really cool. I've even got vintage clothing patterns for an Art Deco-style dress and cape.

Sakurairis
04-13-2010, 04:21 AM
One of my rules: Don't Half ass. There was this guy at a con who was cosplaying as his OC which was basically black (shirt, pants and a leather duster), cat ears, fuzzy tail, black choker and a katana. Seriously this is EVERY stereo type of a bad OC ever. A Gary-Sue to the max. It looked like he just threw everything together. Try to be more original. Maybe a little more professional.

BTW I'm not familiar with Digimon King. What's that one about?

kiratsukai
04-13-2010, 05:01 AM
If no one knows what you're going for ~ it usually won't work.

It's one thing to do an original costume with a universal or easily-recognizeable concept like an element, a fairy tale character, an anthropormorphic animal, mythological figures, pokemon gijinka, humanized food/drink/product brands etc. If you can sum up your concept in 2-3 words ~ it might work.

If you need 15 minutes to ramble off your character's backstory ~ it's probably just going to seem like self-indulgent conceit on your part.

If can be fun to work with original designs. But most people use the "original character" label to justify wearing whatever they had in their closet and a pair of cat ears or to showcase their mary-sue/gary-stu fanfiction creation to the annoyance of everyone around them.

Want a good indication of how your costume will go over? Draw a sketch of your costume.
Then step out of yourself for a second and look at it as a regular person at a con.

Ask yourself:
1) Can I construct/pull this off well?
2) Does this costume require a long explanation?
3) Is this costume really an original? Or is it a simplified/bastardized version of another character/characters? Is this just a wish-fufillment/mary-sue character?
4) Will anyone enjoy this but me?
5) Do I care?

TR Rose
04-13-2010, 07:29 AM
I can think of two kinds of OC characters that I'd be more likely to photograph.

The first would be "extras" in an organization that has a lot of members who wear a uniform. For example, if you have a big group of State Alchemists from FMA, even if the people portraying them aren't trying to be specific characters from the show. Or if you've got a pack of Team Rocket members running around the con. People will recognize the outfit, and this especially works in a group setting.

The other type of OC that I enjoy are big amazing costumes. Things that just make you "wow" over them. Whether a beautiful gown, or something with giant wings, or a mecha. Usually I assume it's from something I haven't seen rather than "it's an OC". I'll take photos even if I don't know the source material if the costume is just amazingly cool.

I will say this much: unless someone specifically asks for your character's backstory, the average congoer doesn't care. If asked "who are you cosplaying", it's usually a safe bet to answer as "I'm an original character". If they want additional details, they'll ask. ^^ It's not fun to have somewhere you need to be when an over eager cosplayer launches into their character's life story and you have to cut them off.

Amanita
04-13-2010, 09:27 AM
I don't think I'll have any problems being recognized with what I'm planning- the Chrysler Building's Art Deco spire is very recognizable, even to non-Americans. Anyone who's ever watched a movie or show set in NYC has seen it. It's like the Empire State, Statue of Liberty, or Brooklyn Bridge- Instantly recognizable icon.

Between the makeup job, spire headdress, flowing Art Deco clothing, and the pleated Isis Wings I may add to it, I think it will be quite attention-getting. No "pulled from the closet Mary Sue" here! Bonus points if I can make the headdress light up, or have parts of it glow under black light.

As for the Digimon king, he's something I heard about, from some Anime cons- He was an original Digimon character of his own design, but apparently he had a real "Gary Stu" thing going. That and he carried a binder around with him laying out his entire backstory, and anyone who asked "What are you supposed to be" got shown the binder and treated to a loooong story. Or so I have heard.

Chozo003
04-13-2010, 08:04 PM
As for the Digimon king, he's something I heard about, from some Anime cons- He was an original Digimon character of his own design, but apparently he had a real "Gary Stu" thing going. That and he carried a binder around with him laying out his entire backstory, and anyone who asked "What are you supposed to be" got shown the binder and treated to a loooong story. Or so I have heard.
Haha, sounds pretty bad. Doing anything like that will definitely make you seem pretty conceited.

astrya02
07-16-2010, 08:53 PM
I don't know why, but as much as I'd love to make a bunch of accurate cosplays, I always find myself sketching out designs for a really interesting costume-like gown or something that could be a character design for pretty much anything, be it a video game or manga character.

So I wouldn't necessarily call these OCs, just because there is no real character behind them, but I'd definitely call them cosplays of some sort. You don't really need to have a backstory, etc... I think if you want to do an OC, then be as creative as possibly and enjoy doing it! :)

Volnixshin
07-18-2010, 12:49 PM

It's one thing to do an original costume with a universal or easily-recognizeable concept like an element, a fairy tale character, an anthropormorphic animal, mythological figures, pokemon gijinka, humanized food/drink/product brands etc. If you can sum up your concept in 2-3 words ~ it might work.

If you need 15 minutes to ramble off your character's backstory ~ it's probably just going to seem like self-indulgent conceit on your part.

I disagree. Having done original cosplays most of my cosplay career, it's a pretty easy to just say
"I'm an OC" or something quick along those lines if someone asks.

And doing a good OC is always worth the effort, and from what I find, always gets lots of photos, compliments and the like. I have quite a few people I know who have done great OC's, and they're really well known now for their innovative and intriguing ideas

sephygoth
08-11-2010, 09:39 PM

mmmmm ^^
Be brave, be brave as hell OR be picky as hell in front of the mirror. You must understand that normal world would not know what to do with you even as a known character. Now, given that: it's ok to do what you do in the con/event cosplay scene, but they might not know what to do with you either and you will feel the pain in your own world for longer than outside of it.
I'm picky, I do too many OC's , but it's not many ppl's bag. And many people ask for pics, but when asked if they know the character, it's "yes" even though nothing I do is even CLOSE to copyright/established characters.
Also, I've only drawn out my last OC, for halloween last yr. Been doing this branch of the hobby for at least 1/2 decade, not setting the stage, but I've snuck in early on, somehow XD

oh and EDIT, I'm with volnixshin on SOMETHING! I care not for talking about my character either, it's no nevermind to peeps. I just do it.