PDA

View Full Version : Gothic Lolita

Nicatat
09-08-2003, 07:54 PM
I really am considering making a gothic lolita girl but have no idea where to start. I have scanned through a gothic lolita bible but nothing really caught my eye too much so I was wondering if people could tell me if this would look alright... Get a can can dancer pattern (think moulin rouge) and make the skirt like that with all the ruffles and such.. and then get a corset and add like.. beads and lace and such... and then make a pair of panties (lol) with ruffles on the butt... does it seem like I'm even on the right track?

Kaede
09-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Well if you're going GL, might I recommend long bloomers with frills instead of undies. I've seen something like that before, with the very full skirts instead of petticoats. It looked good. But anyways I guess if you like the look when you draw it out, then go for it.
With GL, it's not flashy. It's childish. You'll see Gothic Lolitas with very short skirts, but never with exessive makeup or gawdy stuff. If you're going to do a bodice, but don't want it to be Shiroi Kozi-esque, then if you like you can add a filly long sleeve shirt underneath, and the corset could instead be a waistcincer.

katrinastrife
09-14-2003, 02:27 AM
Hrm. There seems to be a variety of different GL looks out there. I dunno if "Moulin Rouge" is really what they're into. For wht most part, it's more of an "Alice in Wonderland" in black sort of thing.

But hey, if you wanna make it, it's cool. You might want to try following the path of the GL bibles, tho, if you're trying to go for that particular look.

inertia
09-14-2003, 09:05 AM
What you're suggesting isn't very lolita-ish... sorry. ^^; Although it sounds like a really cool costume, it's likely to upset purists if you call it "Lolita" because it sounds quite different. The clothes in the bibles are very representative of the style, so if they don't catch your eye then maybe Lolita isn't the right costume for you? Like Kaede said, it's childlike, not sexy.

I do think it's a really great costume idea. But if you want to do it, perhaps you should call it something other than "Gothic Lolita"? ^^; I'm sure there's a character who wears something close to your idea.

Lilli
09-25-2003, 04:52 PM
I would have to agree with what's been said. It sounds very cute, but dosn't sound like it fits within the boundaries of 'Gothic and Lolita.'

I wonder what can-can-style anime/game characters there are? I'm sure there has to be at least a few :3

Garuda_Aiacos
09-30-2003, 01:04 PM
Well, I realized that unless one was going for those "American" kind of Gothic Lolita (as in Sexy Adult Costumes), then what Nicatat planned may be appropiate.

But here, when it's Gothic Lolita, it's that Fashion from Japan. ;)

SynVanSiWes
10-05-2003, 05:55 PM
Hey there, I was contemplating a gothic lolita myself, and I asked my mom for suggestions. She said to try Dirndl for dress styles that might work. It's folk german/austrian costume. Some of them have too low cut of bodices but other styles cover up more and quite seem appropriate.

something I just found while I was browsing...
http://www.folkwear.com/303.html

if the skirt was shorter it would be pretty good.

And as for skirts, my mother suggested square dance skirts. I wasn't convinced untill I saw them, but it's crazy. Square dance skirts = lolita skirts. They're short and have layers and layers of ruffly petticoats.

If you don't belive me, just look at what they're selling on this site.
http://www.brantleyswesternsupply.com/default.htm

Shintsu
10-06-2003, 06:02 PM
And as for skirts, my mother suggested square dance skirts. I wasn't convinced untill I saw them, but it's crazy. Square dance skirts = lolita skirts. They're short and have layers and layers of ruffly petticoats.

If you don't belive me, just look at what they're selling on this site.
http://www.brantleyswesternsupply.com/default.htm

SynVanSiWes, YES. By all means, square dance skirts are perfect.
(...has square danced for three years @_@ ) In fact, I'm using one of my sq. dance petticoats for a GL costume right now.

FairyDust
10-06-2003, 07:49 PM
Depending on how much you alter the pattern you're working from, it *could* be Lolita-esque, or Lolita inspired, but like the others said, I don't think it quite fits in the bounderies. The purpose of the Lolita fashion is cute and innocent, not sexy adult.