PDA

View Full Version : Otakuthon 2010 Cosplay Progress

MagiFox
04-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Well, Anime Noth has a thread like this, why not make one here for Otakuthon 2010? It's 4 months away, after all.

I'm planning to make pre-time skip Simon from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann this year, and I might be bringing along my Suki cosplay from Anime North for either Saturday or Sunday of the con (won't be going on Friday, since there wasn't a lot a lot going on last year). Or might possibly be making Ennis from Baccano! for an upcomming photoshoot at the con.

I found some awesome big sunglasses at the dollar store on Wednesday that had yellow-tinged lenses! Plan to use foam sheets and/or Model Magic to cover the white parts of the glasses red. But I only plan to start working on my Otakuthon cosplay after Anime North.

Anyone else like to post on their progress?

Nefer
04-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Like you, I'm planning on making my "Otakuthon exclusive" cosplays only after Anime North, since I have 3 cosplays to finish already only for that ^^;

Though I found that awesome drapery material for Maria's waist scarf, and since it was in the 'backstore' of Club Tissus, and bought it when they had that '50% off on every backstore fabric' sale, I paid only 2,50$/meter instead of the original...25$/meter! :D Good thing I waited and waited to buy it!

I also found the base of her shoes at a value store, meaning a good...2$ for great shoes that even have that 'wooden knocking sound' when walking around with them, even better since the game's timeline is in the late 17's ^_^. Only need to cover them with some of my scarf fabric now, and find a buckle.

That's pretty much it for now, contact lenses for both Maria and Mahado I already have because of other cosplays, and Sephiroth will already be made since I need it for Anime North. Same thing for Mahado's arms 'bracers' since Marik has the same ones ^^

MDA
04-16-2010, 01:03 PM
2 of my cosplays that I plan to wear to Otakuthon are already finished. I like re-wearing costumes to cons. Then I can prove my mom wrong.

Nougami Neuro I finished last month, so I don't have to worry about him for Sunday, since I"m hosting the Shounen Jump 2010 photoshoot (if enough people take interest in it of course). He's the title character from a little-known Shounen Jump series. Yes, they do exist. Last year I found 1 Neuro and Yako at AN, none at Otakuthon. This year, I may be the first Neuro for Otakuthon (without my Godai because she can't make it to the con, AN yeah, but not Otaku).

Rider, she's still in progress for Anime North, so she'll be done before then and I'll rewear her to Otakuthon. More than likely I'll be going on the subway to get to the con, so that should be interesting (50" wig, thigh high boots, skimpy as hell dress...). I just hope someone doesn't think I'm a stripper... though you'd think having friends also in costume would be like "okay, something costume-related must be happening..." just change that little thought thing to French. She'll be worn Saturday, I just hope my wig doesn't die.

Friday... is a toss-up between two cosplays that I finished last year. Roxas and Gijinka Articuno. I'll wear Roxas if a friend of mine is able to come and she wears Axel on the Friday, so I'd be Roxas with her (and it'd be her first time at Otakuthon). I wouldn't mind wearing him to Otakuthon as I had to scrap him last year, since there wasn't enough time on the Friday to put the cosplay on before leaving a friend's. Articuno, I'd like to wear her to a con this year... or some event in general. But I might make a male version as well, but I know just how I'd do it too, but I rather like how my current version looks. This'll be figured out closer to the con.

einlee
04-17-2010, 09:26 AM
I've never been to Otakuthon before, and I'm considering going, but could you guys give me some insight on the quality of the convention? Is it good? Do they usually have good entertainment/guests? Some insight would be helpful ^.^

Also, if I do go, I would be debuting my two new Rena Ryuuguu costumes (after I'm done making them) from Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. These would be her white dress and her Angel Mort maid outfit (super excited for that one). I know Higurashi isn't that well known, but is anyone else cosplaying from the series?

MagiFox
04-17-2010, 10:19 AM
I've never been to Otakuthon before, and I'm considering going, but could you guys give me some insight on the quality of the convention? Is it good? Do they usually have good entertainment/guests? Some insight would be helpful ^.^

Otakuthon a smaller convention compared to, say, Anime North. The Congress center is very nice, plus it has AC, so if you're sick of hanging outside for photos, you can come in and walk around. There's escalators, but everytime you get on, you have to show your pass to security to let them know you're part of the con. It's a little annoying, but they're just being careful with other people comming in (the congress center is near a subway entrance/exit after all).

Since it's located in Montreal, there are usually a lot of French speaking cosplayers, but most of them are bilingual, so it shouldn't be a problem to politely ask for a picture or say "Hi!". As for guests, at '09, we had Stephanie Sheh and Johnny Young Bosh as VA guests, while Pikminlink, along with Sarcsm-Hime and Kaijugal came as guest cosplayers. We do have some French guests too, one of them at '09 being a French VA for the dub of Ash Ketchum from Pokemon. The 404's (anime improv group) come every year along with other artists and special guests and sometimes bands.

So far on the 2010 page, the VA guests of honor are Vic Mignogna and Aaron Dismuke (Ed and Al Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist (first anime for Aaron only, since his voice changed before Brotherhood came out)). I'm realy excited to meet Aaron since I've seen Vic already at Anime North '09 and soon to be 2010. If they do some kind of FMA panel, I'm SO there! Lillyxandra is the cosplay guest of honor this year, and we even have two artists/writers/creators (?) (Ryan Sohmer & Lar deSouza) for the webcomics: 'Least I Could Do' and 'Looking for Group' (they both opened a comic book shop off the island of Montreal called 'The 4th Wall'. I wanted to check it out for some time now!)

Along with the guests, the dealer's room is a lot smaller than some bigger conventions and they don't carry debit/credit card machines, so CASH ONLY to buy your anime merch. If you have a withdrawl limit on your bank card per day, withdraw cash the day before the con so you're not stuck wanting a DVD set or statue and you're low on cash. Panels and game rooms are always common, so there's stuff to do while waiting for the autograph lines. We even have a Masquerade on Saturday night.

Oh, and if you can, PRE-REGISTER. If you miss the deadline, you have to wait in line to pay your pass between 45 minutes to 2 hours. Not fun at all. D:

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this answers your questions about the con.

Here's Otakuthon 2010's website for more details: http://www.otakuthon.com/2010/home

einlee
04-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks so much MagiFox (didn't want to quote your post since it was so long lol), this was really helpful. I'm going to try my best to go since it does sound like a lot of fun (and I should probably learn a few french phrases)! :)

MDA
04-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks so much MagiFox (didn't want to quote your post since it was so long lol), this was really helpful. I'm going to try my best to go since it does sound like a lot of fun (and I should probably learn a few french phrases)! :)

Really the only phrases you'll need are these:

Excusé moi (Excuse me)

Merci beaucoup (Thank you / thank you very much)

Puis-je prendre une photo? (May I take a photo?)
--- or you can just say "Une photo?" and indicate your camera

And if someone starts speaking to you in French (and if you don't know any), simply say:

Je ne parle pas Français (I do not speak French)

To see if someone speaks English:

Parlez-vous anglais? (Do you speak English?)

Hope those are of help. They certainly helped me last year ^^

The*Fallen*One*
04-18-2010, 12:09 AM
You also forgot: Ou et la toilette? "Where is the Bathroom?!" Very VERY important!

As for my cosplays..

If my Mithra Dragoon costume survives the LARP the weekend before, I will be wearing that for Saturday, and most likely most of Sunday. If I have the time and energy to do so, I might bring back a costume I only wore once.. Miss Cloud. Probably would wear either on Sunday or on Friday, depending on my mood at the time.

MDA
04-18-2010, 12:40 AM
@The*Fallen*One*

I thought I was forgetting something xD But yes, that is very important!

Vicky Janelle
04-18-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm working on the arm warmer for my Simon costume and fix up the Peter Possum plush
for the Con, he a big possum and then make Espeon's ear.

Risea
04-18-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm planning on having Trish from DMC4 done. Also going to be working on Dante and Kyrie, with hopefully a helping hand!

Besides that, I "might" wear Yoruichi (captain vers) depending on a few factors. One of them being who's going to beg me to cosplay her for a particular reason. Having to paint my body a darker skin tone can be a pain. Especially since I need a hand with my back! >.<

einlee
04-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Thanks guys! Unfortunately, I'm taking Spanish in high school, not French ^.^U

MagiFox
04-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Pre-Registration is up on the site! :D It's only $35 for a weekend pass until May 31, then the price goes up to $40 from June 1-30. If you miis those two deadlines, you'll have to pay at $45 at the door at the con. (Sadly, there's no group registration...)

I'm hoping to get my pass sometime before AN, so I can save about $10 and not wait at the door for an hour like last year.

MDA
04-26-2010, 01:10 AM
Switching out Nougami Neuro for Sunday. I won't be wearing him at the con at all as by the time I'd even get to the van to head to the train station to go to Montréal, the cosplay would be wrinkled, and I highly doubt that my boyfriend has an iron that I could use.

So now I'm considering having either Komui Lee from D.Gray-Man for the Sunday, or Gijinka Shaymin (sky form). And if neither are done in time, I might wear my Gijinka Vaporeon... not too sure of how well a girl walking around in a blue wig with fins in it and wearing a swimsuit would go over though.

Luckily, for Komui I can use my real hair (just needs heavy styling), and I just have to make the hat, and finish the coat. Oh, and either buy or make the Black Order cross.

Shaymin... all that's done is the wig and shorts. Though I need to fix my wig a bit. Shoes will be next on the list, along with wrist cuffs. Then the shirt, bandana, and the wings (which will be made of foamboard from Dollarama and white feathers attached to the shirt with safety pins.

MDA
04-27-2010, 12:58 AM
I have progress pictures of Komui, going to be wearing him on Sunday to the Shounen Jump 2010 photoshoot (hopefully interest will build as the con approaches)

Face/Hair - http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2529956/ | Going to be using my actual hair for Komui
Front - http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2529957/ | Primarily store bought for modification
Back - http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2529961/

All that I have left to do is add the black details to the coat, make the hat, and either make or buy the Black Order Cross.

xshedevilx
04-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Going to be bringing Nefertina (as I want as much wear out of her as possible) from Mummies Alive!
Lebreau from FFXIII
and either Anti-Spiral Messenger Nia or Pre-Time Skip Yoko from TTGL. Nia will be if I manage to finish Lebreau and remake the lower half of the outfit in time.

demon-eyes12
04-30-2010, 01:21 PM
im going as Zero from Code Geasss ^^, i cant wait for this year, its going to be so much fun!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Code-Geass-R2-Zero-Mantle-Anime-cosplay-costume-/300420802698?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f279a88a

but i baught mine from someone else cost less lol

MDA
05-10-2010, 04:11 AM
Got my buttons & bias tape to put on my coat for Komui... my mom's getting me more buttons though as I only have 4 of the ones I need, and I need 7 for the coat >_<

Altianna
05-28-2010, 09:40 AM
@ xshedevilx: OMG YAY! I miss that show so much. Looking forward to seeing your cosplay at the con!

I'm planning on going as Lt. Riza Hawkeye from Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood this year. Lucky for me this year I'll get to go to the whole thing instead of showing up, staying for two hours, and getting dragged home by a grumpy boyfriend. Sigh. I worked so hard on my Ichigo Momoiya cosplay last year too! :(

Looking forward to making an awesome uber-detailed army uniform. Woot! :D

The*Fallen*One*
05-28-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm planning on going as Lt. Riza Hawkeye from Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood this year.
Looking forward to making an awesome uber-detailed army uniform. Woot! :D

Damn, now after watching FMA again, I want to bring out my Ed cosplay... Maybe I will bring him instead of Miss Cloud...

Khaos Akuma
06-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Montreal + Anime con = Hell of a lot of fun ^.^

and Chinatown usually does it side walk sell that weekend (I wonder why.... ) so it's a cool con. ^.^Chinatown BTW is like RIGHT a cross from the Palais des Congres.

As for cosplays... I'm not sure depends. I know I've said Ludwig. I will try to do him only because most of my other cosplays will be packed and Ludwig and Gilbert are some of my smaller ones. But I shall try and bring Moomba ( From FF 8 )

genkimami
06-15-2010, 10:28 PM
I finished styling my Sun-Sun wig with arrancar mask and all today :D Now I just need to work on the actual costume.. haha.

MagiFox
06-15-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm still debating whether to do Simon (Pre-time skip or Ep.26 alternate reality) from Gurren Lagann or Ennis from Baccano!, but I think I'm leaning towards Simon since I've already planned him since last year... (might be leaning to the second choice for Simon since it's so under cosplayed and it'll be less stress on the binding, but we'll see...) Anyone has any preference, feel free to coment to this post. (It'll help me a little bit on what people might like to see if they're interested.) :)

I've already starting to put a GL photoshoot with some other Coscom members already. I imputted a BIG maybe for the Baccano! 'shoot thread ATM, since I know several of my friends who are cosplaying from that series. >.> Hopefully, I'll be making my decision after I get back from my vacation in Toronto at the begining of July.

Plus, I'm only making 1 new cosplay, due to I'm planning to make a ton of repairs on Suki for Otakuthon, tight budget, and I'm only going on Saturday and Sunday like last year since I live over 2 hours away from Montreal (20 mins near the Ontario boarder) and Friday will be short for me and my friends.

xshedevilx
06-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Luckily the only new outfit I'm bringing is Lebreau which I have to finish the bulk of in 3ish weeks for the Cosplay Picnic X_X but I swapped Nefertina for Medusa as my friends are doing a Soul Eater group and I'll be retiring Medusa, at least her early form, after this convention to move on to other things. I got a lot of wear out of her and though she's my favourite costume to date I feel someone else may get a better use out of the wig I styled for a good price.

I'll also be wearing Faye again with zacloudseth as Spike again and my sister BeepSushi as Ed.

I'm going to be sewing a lot of the basics for Lebreau this week and get more fabric for her other pieces on the weekend. That way all I will have to finish after the picnic is her gun.

MDA
07-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Different backup for Komui now... now my backup for him is Nougami Neuro. I'll have my Evil Friday with me. But this is only if I can't finish Komui in time.

xshedevilx
07-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Lebreau is nearly finished! I've really only got detailing left and the leggings to make. Which means I've only gotta worry about her gun for Otakuthon! YAY! I'll likely finish it when I get back from the Picnic then it's out of the way.

Evabee
07-03-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm working on Euphemia's artbook gown for this con and I'm wayyyy behind. Finished up the pattern for the top and I'm working on the hoop skirt. Time flies.

MDA
07-04-2010, 12:13 AM
I got a couple of the new buttons sewn onto my coat for Komui, and have made the pattern for the hat.

In a couple of weeks I'll be fixing my weapons for Rider since they both broke at AN (one broke at weapon's check, the other at the Fate/stay night photoshoot I hosted). Though I do wish they'd post the weapon's policy on the Otakuthon site so I can find out if I can even have my chains!

MagiFox
07-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Just got back from my vacation from Toronto, and I am totally exhausted from the 6 hour car ride (passed by the TCC on the way back home. I already miss AN!) D: Luckily, I was able to go to a Michaels when I was down there and grabbed some long sheets of craft foam for remaking my armor for my Suki cosplay, along with some fabric dye for my Halloween cosplay I'll be starting to make sometime after Otakuthon. (Why can't there be a Michaels in Montreal!? D: Omar DeSeres is ok, but I just find that Michaels has a bigger selection in craft supplies.)

Anywho, I've finally decided to do Ennis, since it will be easier on the wallet ATM and all I have to do is go to Value Village and find a suit jacket, some sensible shoes and a blouse (and I also put my name in for the Baccano! 'shoot at AN a few months back). I'll be buying the wig off of Coscom's website (mainly Cosworx, but I'll have to double check on the prices on the new wigs too) in the next week, so I can organize my budget.

So, how's everybody's cosplays coming along, with 1 more month or so to go before the con?

genkimami
07-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Agreed. I'm especially sad that Omer de Serres doesn't carry Paperclay.

Even though I already finished styling the wig for my Sun-Sun cosplay, I'm contemplating ordering one of the new Japanese wigs from the Cosplay.com Shopping service because the color is way more accurate than what I have at the moment. Is that crazy?

Jubilee003
07-08-2010, 01:39 AM
Here's the progress on what I will (maybe XD) wear this year for the convention! (Sorry to intrude)

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3064/progressqn.jpg

Alois from the Kuroshitsuji second season (for the heck of it) and the obvious Len from Vocaloid

Tsukune
07-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Progress = WAAAAAY behind schedule mainly because I only found out recently that I was going to Otakuthon so I didn't have much to prepare so their isn't much time to throw together a cosplay but I'll do my best, but if I can't get who I want done I have a few back up cosplays I can throw on xD

MagiFox
07-18-2010, 06:50 PM
@Jubilee003: oAo OMG. Bring Alois to the con!!! You look awesome in that cosplay!

Zacloudseth
07-22-2010, 06:58 PM
I've only really have one new costume I'm bringing to Otakuthon
so progress on that

MALEBLAIR......lust chapter (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs133.snc4/36971_436761581527_511601527_5848926_4285150_n.jpg )

lolo

MagiFox
07-22-2010, 09:39 PM
so progress on that

MALEBLAIR......lust chapter (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs133.snc4/36971_436761581527_511601527_5848926_4285150_n.jpg )

lolo

MALE!BLAIR.

\OAO/

OMFG. I MUST GET PICS OF YOU AT THE CON.

That guy y'know
07-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Who would of tunk it would be so difficult to find burlap in Montreal...
http://i28.tinypic.com/1gj15h.jpg

MDA
07-23-2010, 10:56 PM
so progress on that

lolo

If I find you, I'm so asking for pictures, and most definitely a hug. Because MALE!Blair is awesome idea~! (Now I wish I was cosplaying Blair at Otakuthon, but I don't have anything for the cosplay xD)

xshedevilx
07-24-2010, 12:42 AM
so progress on that

lolo

Yougon'getraped.

Luckily none of my costumes are new, only need some minor repairs before wearing so I am relieved...so long as I don't leave things till the last minute, which I will.

MagiFox
07-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Found me a really nice $5 suit jacket for my Ennis cosplay today at a second hand store down my street. Now, all I need is to buy a wig on Coscom's/Cosworx store tonight so that (hopefully) it will be shipped on time of the convention (Saturday for me). I still hope the Baccano! photoshoot is still going on since I haven't heard a reply for a few weeks now. >.>

Fallen Sephiros
08-01-2010, 04:53 AM
Maid Lancer is almost finished, just need to add the frills and I'm done.

The Faerie Archer is coming along pretty well, need to make the wings and spray my bow and arrows silver and gold, among other things (going to add a bit of that to the wings).

Maddox is finished :)

LaurenBANG
08-03-2010, 10:20 AM
The amount of sewing I have to finish in the next few days is overwhelming but this is what I have done of my Ezio costume

click me (http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/188646/)

Oh progress threads keep me on track.

K-Man
08-03-2010, 10:51 AM
The amount of sewing I have to finish in the next few days is overwhelming but this is what I have done of my Ezio costume

click me (http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/188646/)

Oh progress threads keep me on track.

Wow Lauren! That looks amazing! Looking forward to seeing it at Otakuthon!

MagiFox
08-03-2010, 10:55 AM
@ LaurenBANG: OH SNAP. Your cosplays never cease to amaze me, girl. >w<

So, Ennis is pretty much done, but I'll be styling my own hair for her since I have a similar color (sans the red-ish brown) and I was too late on ordering a wig, along with hearing that there were some problems with Cosworx's/Coscom's shipping orders over the last week on a thread. (I've seen some Ennis cosplayers on the site who used brown wigs/hair). I might rewear Ennis for Anime North 2011 if there will be a Baccano! photoshoot then, but I'll have to wait and see.

Off to do Suki's armor, fans and robe! ;)

Kudrel
08-10-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm almost done my Will of the Abyss! I've realized how much of a tan I've been working over the summer, now I'm totally not pale enough for the cosplay! >.<

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/Calysto619/DSC_0357.jpg

Idol Kof Star
09-26-2010, 11:48 PM
so progress on that

lolo

OMG I love blair!!!!!!