PDA

View Full Version : Nekocon - the good and bad?

KTDE
09-09-2003, 05:39 AM
Not having been to it before, what are some of the ups and downs of this particular con?

MonoyashaJLA
09-09-2003, 08:28 AM
ah no weapons...

Recca-kun
09-09-2003, 12:31 PM
Last year I was with a Gravitation group and staff and hotel security flipped out over Mr. K's gun. It wasn't fun... -_-;

It seemed a bit crowded to me last year, so I would expect more of the same this time.

Getting away from last year's complaints about the hotel (our room left a long list), the game room sucked - to quote one of the staffers when we were going to donate a Neo-Geo home system, "That's ok, the roms are better." I spent more time hanging out with the people dishing out ownings on floor 5 than in the official game room (they are cool people by the way).

Other than that it should be ok. ^_^; Despite me saying it's cramped, it definitely is a smaller and more friendly-oriented con than say, the behemoth that is Otakon.

psythe
09-09-2003, 12:51 PM
Wait, does this mean no swords? As in Ramsus' sword? O_o

Tora
09-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Wait, does this mean no swords? As in Ramsus' sword? O_o

We've decided to bring the weapons anyway due to the harsh, and yet un-checked weapons policy at BAAF.

"Nothing over 3 feet, or DEATH!"

So we don't bring our weapons, only to see several meandering around the con, and when asking to get my 'untransformed version' of the sword checked, they say "Oh, no checks"

0_0'

So this time I'm bringing both Tetsusaiga's, and if they don't like it, the big one will stay in the hotel room window.

^_^

Rosiel
09-09-2003, 01:55 PM
From the website...

"Virginia State Law prohibits the carrying or brandishing of replica weapons such as swords, water guns, electronic light guns, or anything that could be mistaken for the real weapon. This also includes the real thing. Such "props" may be worn as part of a Hall Costume or in the Cos-Play. Items for costumes should be peace-bonded. Peace-bonding material is available at the Security desk or in Convention Operations. Anyone caught brandishing any such item or device during the convention will result in that item being taken into protective custody for the duration of the convention. "

Hence it seems, although the first sentence is a bit harsh, that swords will be allowed if peacebonded and not brandished.

(And I have to quote this because I love it "Please do not burn, jackhammer, tunnel, eat, or generally cause any damage the hotel. ")

> As in Ramsus' sword? O_o

Ram... sus's sword? >__>

psythe
09-09-2003, 01:59 PM
Ram... sus's sword? >__>

<_< ...irez'

Sciguy
09-09-2003, 03:34 PM
of course, one also has to think about how several of the terms are defined. I believe that in federal court, replica weapon is defined as "any object that is made to resemble a real weapon, by intention or coincidence" so, of course, Tetsusaiga isn't a replica weapon since it obviously isn't real. Brandish: "To wave about or threaten with" so prop weapons are fine as long as you can keep them still and non-threatening.

(Now, this would all hold up in court, but it may not hold up in the eyes of con-ops.)

Now, guns are a completely different matter. the sillhouette laws in VA gives police the right to draw a weapon on and/or fire upon anyone who appears to have a firearm without verifying the authenticity of the weapon, so don't even think about carrying a prop gun.

hehe, I remember going through all of this for Katsucon *sigh*

Midknight
09-10-2003, 02:35 AM
And then there's that deal about not being able to walk around while wearing sunglasses or a mask :sulk: ... Or have they decided against that? I need to check the Nekocon site forums again.

MonoyashaJLA
09-10-2003, 08:18 AM
???does that mean I wont be able to wear my Kirara costume? considering that does cover my face?

Oshi
09-10-2003, 03:31 PM
I wonder if wooden Kunai are restricted...

As for Kilala... I remember with Katsucon, Leilani-hime couldn't wear the head to her Pimp Moogle, so she carried it around and put it on just for pictures...

Though that'd look pretty weird with your head on Kilala's body walking around ^^;;;

Reiko
10-06-2003, 09:01 PM
I wonder if wooden Kunai are restricted...

As for Kilala... I remember with Katsucon, Leilani-hime couldn't wear the head to her Pimp Moogle, so she carried it around and put it on just for pictures...

Though that'd look pretty weird with your head on Kilala's body walking around ^^;;;

yeah it would... and I dont want to put that thing on you everytime someone wants a pic..even though I bet you wont get very far

dizzylizzy
10-07-2003, 01:01 AM
:::shrugs::: i carried my yuna staff around last year with no problems.

there was a moogle there too... but i dunno if he was allowed to keep it on or not.

hmmm... good things... well, i loved the size of the con. everyone was rather friendly.

con~~~ the line for the masquerade. omg... i was stuck by the game room which SMELLED so bad from the ddr tourney. ::Falls over::

Orbal
10-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh!? No sunglasses? =;_;= *sniff sniff* Whats more... My next costume... =X_X'= Could always do what the mog did. =^_^= *goes to check the website like MidKnight (no ryhme intended =O_o'=)*

Reiko
10-07-2003, 08:11 PM
dude.... what about a big slowing Star... its not exactly a weapon... but its big and pionty... and glows... because if I cant bring that ... Im not bringing Yuffie

DarkMgcnGirl
10-08-2003, 11:49 AM
of course, one also has to think about how several of the terms are defined. I believe that in federal court, replica weapon is defined as "any object that is made to resemble a real weapon, by intention or coincidence" so, of course, Tetsusaiga isn't a replica weapon since it obviously isn't real. Brandish: "To wave about or threaten with" so prop weapons are fine as long as you can keep them still and non-threatening.

(Now, this would all hold up in court, but it may not hold up in the eyes of con-ops.)

Now, guns are a completely different matter. the sillhouette laws in VA gives police the right to draw a weapon on and/or fire upon anyone who appears to have a firearm without verifying the authenticity of the weapon, so don't even think about carrying a prop gun.

hehe, I remember going through all of this for Katsucon *sigh*

*nods* And trust me ANYTHING that they can count as a replica they will. At Katsu a couple years ago my boyfriend was told to put away his super-soaker cause of the stupid law.

I just hope people don't get upset at the con itself as it's not their fault or anything .... it's just the law. Which is why I've told people entering the Hall Costume Contest that I will not penalize them if they don't have a replica weapon for their costume ... I know it's more trouble than it's worth sometimes.

Farmboybob
10-08-2003, 03:05 PM
"I just hope people don't get upset at the con itself as it's not their fault or anything .... it's just the law"

Yeah some people get all pissy about that. In fact I was about to complain but I realized "Hey, not their fault. They are just following the law." Oh well. I'll have to hide my weapon unless someone is taking a pic of me. (I was planning on bringing a bazooka but now that is out of the question)