PDA

View Full Version : ffx-2 Gipple, Baralai and Le Branc Costume Help

lulu_ciel
09-10-2003, 12:17 AM
Hello, I just wanted to ask any of you who probably know how to work on the Gipple, Baralai and Le Branc sama's costume. I lack sources of their picture. I only have the front view of them and my three friends are interested in cosplaying them.

Would someone help me? What fabrics are to use~
:eeek: eye exercises~ *unsure*

R1KKu_77
09-10-2003, 04:19 AM
Hello, I just wanted to ask any of you who probably know how to work on the Gipple, Baralai and Le Branc sama's costume. I lack sources of their picture. I only have the front view of them and my three friends are interested in cosplaying them.

Would someone help me? What fabrics are to use~
:eeek: eye exercises~ *unsure*

Is Gipple the guy with the eye patch and blonde hair? Im not sure on some of the characters' names yet. If so I got a screen capture of his back,the guy on the left, its included here, and Ill look for some of the other characters. As far as fabrics go, kinda depends on how much you are willing to spend.Also, not to get really heavy fabrics when its 90*F outside. =O Id probably go with, say, a cotton/poly blend of sorts, or even satin is good on some costumes. I could look into that for you.

Catpaw
09-10-2003, 08:42 AM
Yea, that's Gippel with blonde hair & patch... Baralai is this person... (Excuse for my lame picture, I haven't gotten a chance to get Baralai full)

Koumori
09-10-2003, 08:50 AM
I beg you not to use satin unless the fabric is obviously shiny on screen. For those characters, I don't believe it is.

xrj
09-10-2003, 10:06 AM
heh, finally someone else who wants to do a baralai costume.

well i had the costume made back in june and there was like no pictures to be found. but i searched like crazy and was able to find the following:

http://holy_knight_7.tripod.com/abaralai1.jpg
http://holy_knight_7.tripod.com/abaralai2.jpg
http://holy_knight_7.tripod.com/abaralai3.jpg
http://holy_knight_7.tripod.com/abaralai4.jpg
http://holy_knight_7.tripod.com/abaralai6.jpg
http://holy_knight_7.tripod.com/baralaisymbols.jpg

the last picture i took from the game. i also have FMV screencaps....but it might be a "spoiler" for those that don't want to know anything about FFX-2 just yet (i beat the game so i'm safe...heh).

you can also look in my gallery to see my baralai costume, though i don't have pictures of the back b/c when i wore it at AX, it was incomplete.

the in-game costume and the FMV one are different...well the symbols are. i'd say go w/ the in-game one b/c the FMV ones are all the same brown sun kinda things (like you see on baralai's back in-game).

i'm bad at naming fabric and unfortunately i don't have my costume back yet...won't be here til oct 1 or so. i'll take pictures so you can see it and judge for yourself.

but one thing i gotta stress is right at the middle of the jacket is a ZIPPER. so make your coat two parts: a top half and then a bottom half with all the yevon symbol straps on it.

off to school...post more later.

R1KKu_77
09-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Oh god, why did I say satin *hits herself* Yeah dont use satin. Im bad with fabric names too.

xrj, will you be at AR this year as Baralai? And on what days? (how do you prounouce his name neways?) I wanna get some pix with you. =D

xrj
09-10-2003, 04:16 PM
R1KKu_77: yeah i'll be at AR. i'll be wearing my baralai costume on friday from about 2 - 4 pm, then saturday from when i wake up - 4 pm again. i'll be sure to look for you!

in different books and stuff, his name is baralai (aka bararai) or bralay. either is ok, but the name that i see all the time is baralai (pronounced ba-ra-lie, lie as in to not tell the truth...heh). i still say bralay tho b/c that's the name that i first saw and got accustomed to.

Ayana
09-10-2003, 04:26 PM
I'll be at AR too and Lenne and White Mage Yuna...we need to get some pics together xrj! Your costume is great!

I usually say 'Baralai' and 'LeBlanc'....

Miss Valentine
09-10-2003, 04:45 PM
Hopefully these help! I'm planning on doing LeBlanc in the future! ^_^ Good luck. P.S.- Thanks Ayana!! ^_^ Sassy!

Ayana
09-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Heehee, Sassy, you'd be a great LeBlanc...

Nietsche
09-10-2003, 06:34 PM
In honesty- Baralai looks like he wears something heavy like a dull velvet..or a suedette would also be viable...just my suggestion.

Catpaw
09-10-2003, 06:56 PM
Uh yea... Yes.

Ayana
09-10-2003, 07:07 PM
Heehee, so I'm not the only one who thinks that Gippel looks like Zell!!!

Miss Valentine
09-10-2003, 07:45 PM
OMFG!!!! He does... I love Zell (Everyone knows that ^^;) and now... yummy Gippel. I just have to change his name, it makes me giggle. :thumbsup:

Troppy
09-10-2003, 11:21 PM
I told Sassy to be LeBlanc AAAGES ago, lol...I'm so glad she is! We should make a Chicago FFX-2 character cosplay sisterhood or something...

anyway, my little tidbit of info...I'd use unique fabrics for Gippel's pants. The red parts look like they'd be great as velour or stretch velvet...white the overpants (black Tidus-like part) could be a pleather of some sort...Gippel just seems like the kind of guy who would work unconventional materials like that. ;)

As for LeBlanc...the only criticism I have of people who make that oufit is the openness in the front...a lot of people attempt to conceal themselves with flesh-colored fabric, but don't fit it to their bodies! It then ends up all bunchy and awkward and very unconvincing. :lost: I'd personally just leave it open and use lots of bodytape, but if you must keep yourself covered, PLEASE put some effort into it and go that extra mile to make your scantily-cladness realistic XD

lulu_ciel
09-11-2003, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the image source for Gipple, Baralai and Le Branc~ Actually, the Pictures are really of great help. I could see better on how to do the costume... and still thinking of the fabrics~

Yay! the Le Branc hairsticks seems to be so easy to do~ just two long hairsticks that overlaps. and it has two circles that is flat and the stick will just be colored black~ I could do that for my friend~
Actually I don't know how to do yet my Lulu Hairsticks~ *pokes* ahaha

Baralai's costume has a zipper~ yeah, it has...
Is Gipple's longsleeves garment, --colored lavender and light stripes on it?

I wish you all the luck cosplaying them for some of you... Also taking pictures of them will be really nice, especially if you have the complete characters who'll cosplay FFX-2~

Miss Valentine
09-11-2003, 04:44 PM
That's right Troppy!! You inspired me to become, dun dun dun, LEBLANC! We should totally start an FFX-2 Chicago Sisterhood! ^^

Chosuke
09-11-2003, 06:14 PM
Actually if you look closer Gippels shirt is not actually lavender and striped.
It is a tye-dyed shirt with ribbing, meaning the lines are part of the fabric texture and not merely designs on the surface.

I have about eleven pages of notes on Gippel's costume , as I have been in the process of making his costume.

If anyone needs help on certain parts of his costume I would be glad to share my notes.

lulu_ciel
09-15-2003, 03:39 AM
^____^ wow~ please share with us your 11 pages notes on his costume I would like to see it too.. I think that would be really great and I am seeing now how'd u been so eager to do that costume... Good Luck!!!

jasontn82
12-05-2003, 11:55 PM
I gotta be prepared for the orlando convention. Baralai looks kind of hard to do but I gotta do it

Mage
12-06-2003, 02:20 PM
As for LeBlanc...the only criticism I have of people who make that oufit is the openness in the front...a lot of people attempt to conceal themselves with flesh-colored fabric, but don't fit it to their bodies! It then ends up all bunchy and awkward and very unconvincing. :lost: I'd personally just leave it open and use lots of bodytape, but if you must keep yourself covered, PLEASE put some effort into it and go that extra mile to make your scantily-cladness realistic XD

I spent a long time working on LeBlanc and I have to say that I've just been dying to blather on about the little details I noticed when I was working on it (I'd love to redo the costume, but...err...there are other projects that need doing, so I'd rather pass on my advice/wisdom to someone making the costume for the first time). I have a good collection of reference pictures, though I made this costume back in the summertime, when FFX-2 wasn't released here yet.

When I made the costume, I left the front completely open. I tried using spirit gum, but for some reason it just didn't want to stick sometimes, so what I did was use carpet tape all around the perimeter (even over top of the purple booty shorts/bikini bottom so that it wouldn't be like...skin-tight and then loose over the purple if I did any pose where I was bending at the waist) and then use spirit gum at the very edge, so that the tape's not as visible. As you can see in some of my pictures, the spirit gum came off in some parts and the tape became visible. I had clear carpet tape, but it didn't stick nearly as well as the opaque stuff.

This is also how I got my bootcovers to stay up, but it didn't work out as well because of the stress put on them by sitting down/standing up (stupid knees! lol).

For Worldcon, I was VERY paranoid and I was also in a rush, so I skipped the spirit gum and used a strand of fishing line strung between the corners of the collar. I also used a strip of clear vinyl and pinned it to the insides of the bootcovers and to the bottom of the purple part. I haven't seen many pics from Worldcon, but it didn't show up that much.

The biggest challenge with Leblanc is the collar, in my opinion. The thing is that, aside from standing up like that, it's also slightly floppy at the edges (you can see it slightly curl at the ends so that the cross-section is really an elongated S...sort of like an integral sign at a 45 degree angle). Since it's a gigantic collar, the fabric is going to be pretty heavy and whatever you ues to reinforce the collar needs to have some sort of an anchor to it. This relates to the issue surrounding the fact that her entire dress is open at the front. What I mean is that the collar is going to want to pull your dress back and open because of its weight. Be very mindful of this!

Another tip for starting out the LeBlanc costume is to count how many triangles there are and how many of each size. Then, using your own measurements, do a little bit of calculation to find out how big you want the base and height of triangles to be. It will save you a lot of aggravation later. Also, in some places the triangles overlap in one direction and then change so that they overlap the other way.

So far as fabric is concerned, there are two things at work here. Certain parts of the costume are tight-fitting (so stretchy fabric might be easiest) and other parts are very flat and/or stiff looking (so non-stretchy might be easiest). I've seen it done well either way, so it's really your call!

I didn't like LeBlanc's outfit at first, but it really grew on me and I'd love it if I could be helpful to anyone. So don't hesitate to PM me! :)