PDA

View Full Version : Corsets?

BountyBebopLuva
09-10-2003, 12:22 AM
I'm looking for anyone who can help me with either buying a corset (on a budget) or making one. Thanks

Kimiko
09-10-2003, 01:54 AM
If you're looking to make one, there are a few patterns out that are very nice. Mostly in victorian style.
I'd suggest spring steel boning, the plastic stuff tends to mold to your body form just with body heat.
Hope that helps!

DarkindDreamer
09-10-2003, 02:44 AM
i make corsets.. at what "I" believe is a cheap cost compared to those online anyways...

as to yourself making one there are several good ones out by simpicity.. i wouldn't suggest the corset tops you see with skirt patterns in the bridal pattern sections because they aren't really meant for any sorta of tight lacing.. i would also suggest boning it with steel, or using heavy dutyduct fasteners that you can buy in the home depot, that's the cheap way of doing it and they work very well and hold up to body heat.

Eleryth
09-10-2003, 04:14 AM
There are lots of really handy websites to help you do both. Just search at google (I did this a few weeks ago... plenty of sites). Some help with making, some create patterns, others give hints and advice, and on and on.

Good luck!

Koumori
09-10-2003, 07:22 AM
What kind of corset? Victorian, Elizabethan, Georgian? Different styles of corset can produce very different shapes. I get all of my corsetry supplies at http://www.farthingales.on.ca/ (remember the prices are in Canadian dollars).

BountyBebopLuva
09-15-2003, 03:50 AM
My mom is going to try to make one for me.. this should be... interesting. And thanks a TON for the help that everyone has given me.

Midknight
09-21-2003, 02:20 AM
i would also suggest boning it with steel, or using heavy dutyduct fasteners that you can buy in the home depot, that's the cheap way of doing it and they work very well and hold up to body heat.

That is such an awsome idea... I've been wanting to make a corset for a long time but the thought of ordering the boning and figuring out the sizes to order kind of put me off... I just may try this...Thanks!

Now to figure out what to use for the busk...

Sarcasm-hime
09-21-2003, 03:31 AM
I made a corset from scratch for my Morpheus costume, using directions from www.waisted.com -- they give step-by-step instructions on making your own pattern and how to construct the corset. It's a great site. ^_^

Be warned that if you use stuff other than proper corset bones in your corset, it might not be rust-proof...also you need to make sure the ends are smooth and rounded or they can wear a hole in your corset.

Midknight
09-21-2003, 03:45 AM
Be warned that if you use stuff other than proper corset bones in your corset, it might not be rust-proof...also you need to make sure the ends are smooth and rounded or they can wear a hole in your corset.

Yeah, I had thought about those things... I'll need to make sure it's stainless steel or I'll have to resort to ordering from online... I just like buying stuff in person, ya know? And I don't have a credit card myself, and I hate having to ask my bf or my parents to use theirs.

But thanks! ^_^

Michie
09-21-2003, 05:26 AM
Darkwind, how much are you selling your corsets for?

Koumori
09-21-2003, 09:36 AM
Now to figure out what to use for the busk...

You can buy busks at Farthingales, the site I mentioned above.

Midknight
09-22-2003, 02:20 AM
You can buy busks at Farthingales, the site I mentioned above.

Thanks ^_^

I think I've been to their site before. I'm just trying to find alternatives to ordering supplies online. It doesn't look like there are many though.

BountyBebopLuva
09-22-2003, 03:21 AM
You guys are the best ^^

Vani
09-24-2003, 12:25 AM
Uhm....I do know of one site that may help you a little bit...it's helping me for my Ren Faire costume...so I hope it works for you!!!^^
http://www.reddawn.net/costume/index.html

chocola_charat
01-19-2004, 10:18 AM
Uh, yeah x.x; I was thinking of making a Chii costume but it has a corset in it. I was wondering what boning -is- and what it looks like, and also, how do you put it in? x.x;

Thanks in advance!

Lilli
01-19-2004, 10:21 AM
. I'm actually having a hell of a time finding a pattern for an effigy corset. Hehe, I guess I may wind up having to draft my own pattern, but blaaaah. T_T

dani
01-19-2004, 10:32 AM
I made a corset. Check my gallery. Feel free to ask if you have particular questions.

Enjoy...

Dani

Koumori
01-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Uh, yeah x.x; I was thinking of making a Chii costume but it has a corset in it. I was wondering what boning -is- and what it looks like, and also, how do you put it in? x.x;

Boning is strips of stiff material inserted into channels in a garment to stiffen it and make it hold its shape. You can buy cheap plastic boning in any fabric store, but it's absolutely useless for corsets as it will quickly soften and conform to your shape with body heat, rather than conforming you to the shape of the corset. There are also synthetic bonings like Rigilene and artificial whalebone, and boning made of steel, either flat ("spring steel") or coiled ("spiral steel").

Aer
01-19-2004, 02:05 PM
If you just want to buy one...
at my local Renaissance Festival I bought one from Moresca (http://moresca.com/) and *love* it. They can get pricey, but pretty much every piece of ren faire garb can get spendy when made really nicely ^_^;;

But all in all I'm very happy with everything I've bought from Moresca.

dani
01-19-2004, 04:12 PM
A corset can be pricy for two reasons: either the seller is gouging, or the corset is well made.

There is NO WAY a good corset can be cheap, considering the labour and materials it takes. (I spent at least $100 in materials for mine, plus many hours of labour).

Unfortunately, the fact that the price tag is high doesn't guarantee its quality.

Happy shopping.....

Dani

ssmitty
01-20-2004, 03:07 PM
there are lots of corsetiers online that do exceptional work, of course, $$ is always an issue:
www.grannd.com carries corseting supplies as well as the aforementioned farthingales>they also have a $US price list.
www.absolutecorsets.com, blueswancorsets.com offer reasonably priced corsets as well as excellent construction.
meschantes.com, ashfords, romantasy, tons of places...there's even a how to video on making victorian (one of the most popular) corsets: Joanne Peterson? :chatah:

archangeli
01-20-2004, 04:06 PM
how do you go about sewing the channels that boning slips into?

dani
01-20-2004, 04:17 PM
The ones that go on a seam I slided into the seam allowance, because I formed a channel between the stitch line and the serged edges.

For the other ones I sew bias tape. There is a special boning tape but it's a lot more expensive and ca be safely replaced with regular bias tape.

This is my work:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=99112&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=99114&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1

Being local, you could see it in person and chat about its details if we manage to hook up somehow.

Enjoy...

Dani

archangeli
01-20-2004, 05:38 PM
The ones that go on a seam I slided into the seam allowance, because I formed a channel between the stitch line and the serged edges.

For the other ones I sew bias tape. There is a special boning tape but it's a lot more expensive and ca be safely replaced with regular bias tape.

oooh la la! ;)

Thanks for the pics. I've got lots of thoughts in my head for a special costume. I've already purchased all my supplies (boning, hook and eye tape, etc) but the problem is the boning can't be seen.

My plan so far:
- sew/slide/attach the boning to the liner fabric.
- use fusible interfacing to strengthen the outer layer (which is a heavy satin, but i don't want to take chances . . .)
- put both pieces together.

It sounds ok in my head but I'm not quite sure how it'll end up . . .
For now I'm working on accessories . . . :dance:

Koumori
01-20-2004, 07:30 PM

You just stitch them. For durability, your corset should be lined with a heavy, non-stretchy material so that it won't stretch as you wear it, and the boning channels are sewn by stitching the outer layer and the lining together, making a little tunnel the width of the boning plus a little bit of space for inserting it. It's easiest to bone along the seam lines, but for additional support you will probably want to add bones at other places. Look at examples of finished corsets to see where boning channels are often included. You can also use bias tape or boning tape if you don't want the stitching for the channels to show on the outside, but it may not be as sturdy. I don't think the fusible is necessary; you can sew the bottom edge, turn it right side out, stitch the channels if you're doing it that way, insert the bones, and bind the top with bias tape or some other trim.

nyamiko_chan
01-20-2004, 08:00 PM
Hey there!

I've been looking into a few costumes, and one in particualr needs a corset. (Attached)
I don't have a sewing machine, but I can get access to one ^O^. What I was wondering is what kind of fabric is good for making corsests?

I have black Polyester, but I think it's a lil' on the thin side T_T;

Can anyone give me a hand ^^;; ???

darkenedxstar
01-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Hey there!

I've been looking into a few costumes, and one in particualr needs a corset. (Attached)
I don't have a sewing machine, but I can get access to one ^O^. What I was wondering is what kind of fabric is good for making corsests?

Oh Nyamiko_Chan, which chii are you making? I'm making the same costume as yours. I'm making both of'em. One for my friend and the other for myself. In fact, I wanna tell you that they don't have to be a corset. If you look at other chii cosplayers who have cosplayed that, most of them don't have a corset. They just make a really nice tanktop that looks like a corset but not at all. Take Haruka for example, I believe hers was quite simple infact.

dani
01-20-2004, 09:05 PM
What I was wondering is what kind of fabric is good for making corsests?

The traditional corset fabric is called COUTIL, but you can use anything strong on the inside and then cover it with your fancy stuff just for looks. Mine has 3 layers: bemberg lining for the inside, so it slides on the skin, strong duck cotton canvas in the middle for strength, and skincolor swimsuit lining on the outside for color.

First I serged together the three layers of each piece and then I put the pieces together as if they were just one layer.

Have fun...

Dani

Koumori
01-20-2004, 09:57 PM
As long as your lining layer is heavy and doesn't stretch (duck, drill, coutil and some twills work fine), you can make your outer layer out of whatever you like.

nyamiko_chan
01-20-2004, 10:00 PM
Oh Nyamiko_Chan, which chii are you making? I'm making the same costume as yours. I'm making both of'em. One for my friend and the other for myself. In fact, I wanna tell you that they don't have to be a corset. If you look at other chii cosplayers who have cosplayed that, most of them don't have a corset. They just make a really nice tanktop that looks like a corset but not at all. Take Haruka for example, I believe hers was quite simple infact.

^_^ Thx darkendxstar and Dani. I notice that Haruka's and Lillyxnadra's looked simple. I suppose I could make a "corset" top, and that way it'll work just as good. (I'm just not really thin ^^;; so I feel weird cosplaying some things, :sulk: but I shouldn't let other people bring me down for what I want to cosplay :thumbsup: )

If anyone in the thread or site does corset commisions please let me know ^O^, it would still be nice to have one *_*.

I can't wait to see your Chii's then DXstar ^O^ I hope they go well ^_~

Hanyaan
01-20-2004, 10:09 PM
I'm trying to do a specific costume that seems to require a corset; however, I have a really thin waist and a budget that won't let me commission a corset, as well as a parent who refuses to let me make one. Would it be possible to buy generic bodyshapers and make a corset-look shirt with plastic boning and still have a corset-type "look" (aka even a slightly reduced waist)?

Anele
01-20-2004, 10:24 PM
I have the same dilemma. Any ideas to Hanyaan's question?

dani
01-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Hanyaan and Anele:
for that you don't need to buy a body shaper. I have a pattern somewhere... give me a minute to go find it

Anele
01-20-2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks, Dani. Oh, and I think you do a wonderful job at crossplaying ^_^

dani
01-20-2004, 11:15 PM
Thanks, Dani. Oh, and I think you do a wonderful job at crossplaying ^_^
Flattery will get you anything from me :)

The pattern I was thinking about is Simplicity 7009. See if it's on their online catalog, if not I could scan the envelope. It's a bustier that can be made to look like a corset easily.

And my corset is based on Simplicity 9769.

Enjoy, and ask if you think I can be of any help.

Dani

Hanyaan
01-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Thanks so much Dani! XD I can't find the online catalog though; could you possibly scan the envelope? Please? *makes cute "pweeze" face*

Anele
01-20-2004, 11:48 PM
*nods* Thank you much, Dani. I have another question though... I do not have money needed to buy a corset, nor buy the materials to make one. What other methods can you use to get the same look other than binding yourself with athletic bondage tape? XD

dani
01-21-2004, 12:02 AM
Thanks so much Dani! XD I can't find the online catalog though; could you possibly scan the envelope? Please? *makes cute "pweeze" face*

I took a pic. Too lazy to lift the cover of the scanner.

Live long...
Dani

dani
01-21-2004, 12:13 AM
*nods* Thank you much, Dani. I have another question though... I do not have money needed to buy a corset, nor buy the materials to make one. What other methods can you use to get the same look other than binding yourself with athletic bondage tape? XD
If you don't need the reshaping, It's just the bustier. And it takes less than a yard of whatever fabric you want to make it for looks.

Now.... if you are after real corsetting, there are other ways to save, but it will be more expensive for sure.

Enjoy..
Dani

archangeli
01-21-2004, 01:11 AM
I took a pic. Too lazy to lift the cover of the scanner.

Live long...
Dani

Dani, you're a darling.

I pulled this pic off of simplicity's site. It shows exactly what you'd get in the pattern set for the corset:

dani
01-21-2004, 01:22 AM
Dani, you're a darling.
Feel free to repeat that at random intervals.
I pulled this pic off of simplicity's site. It shows exactly what you'd get in the pattern set for the corset:
I didn't bother with A or B. Didn't find them much flattering. I could scan and post the whole instructions, if I wasnt sure Simplicity would sue me in a second. Besides It's probably $4.77 at your closest Walmart.

On this project, notions will make a big dent on your budget, and even in a big city like ours there is some stuff I had to mail order. Let me know if you want me to share my experiences chasing corset notions.

Seeyou
Dani

DarkindDreamer
01-21-2004, 12:34 PM
as to corset patterns, one that should be easy to find is Simplicity 9769, it's a historical corset pattern that is very easy to alter and understand. you may also want to check out "Past patterns" i don't remember there .com address.

to archangeli, i would not recommend putting the fusible interfacing onto the satin, because with stress and body heat the fusible interfacing with stress, shift, snd buckle; making the satin bumpy, and if reironed will leave permanent marks on the satin.
and for people looking for someone that does corsets, i myself do.
here's a link to my site: Http://HouseofCanney.com.
Prices start at $80 for basic colonial shaped corsets on up to fully custom, hand sewn corsets.

Kairi G
01-24-2004, 06:29 PM
if you want cheap boning materials, i just bought a pack of 100 cable ties at Lowes, and it was only $8, cable ties are a nice, sturdy, and cheap boning method.

also, if you dont need a corset that actually reshapes and you want it to be super super comfy, i am lining the one i am making for Hailo with a very thin layer of foam, it is really soft and nice.

archangeli
02-09-2004, 11:36 PM
if you want cheap boning materials, i just bought a pack of 100 cable ties at Lowes, and it was only $8, cable ties are a nice, sturdy, and cheap boning method.

depending on what you're making the corset for, i think it's better to invest in steel bones. personal opinion a suppose ;)

i'm currently playing around with canvas to create a mockup corset. it's an interesting learning process. i didn't pay too much attention to the original pattern and ended up alterning the wrong ends of a few pieces - hehe.

dani
02-09-2004, 11:42 PM
depending on what you're making the corset for, i think it's better to invest in steel bones. personal opinion a suppose ;)
For someone in a really tight budget, bones can be cut from a spring steel drain snake. The only drawback is that it's not coated, so it may rust and tips must be filed.
i didn't pay too much attention to the original pattern and ended up alterning the wrong ends of a few pieces - hehe.
Pieces are cunfusingly similar and unintuitive. I wrote all kinds of signs on the pieces to help me put it together.

Dani
(debuting new avatar)

Beatrix
02-10-2004, 01:02 PM

Just wondering if anyone knows what places sell steel boning and roughy what it costs? Thanks in advance. :)

dani
02-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows what places sell steel boning and roughy what it costs? Thanks in advance. :)
You are in luck!
McDonald Faber http://www.macdonaldfaber.com is the ONLY local supplier I've found, and I've searched a lot. Prices are on their page, but roughly if you budget $1 per foot should be enough.

There also is a canadian mail order company specialized on these products: http://www.farthingales.on.ca I've got my lacing bones and busk there.

Enjoy...

Dani
(Who learned a LOT making his corset)

Beatrix
02-10-2004, 01:18 PM
You are in luck!
McDonald Faber http://www.macdonaldfaber.com is the ONLY local supplier I've found, and I've searched a lot. Prices are on their page, but roughly if you budget $1 per foot should be enough.

There also is a canadian mail order company specialized on these products: http://www.farthingales.on.ca I've got my lacing bones and busk there.

Enjoy...

Dani
(Who learned a LOT making his corset)

Wow! Thanks so much! :D

DevilsIsle1690
09-02-2006, 05:35 AM
If any one is still looking for a corset... I do make them. Most of mine are a mix between renfesty styled corsets and colonial american. Also, they are mostly hand sewn. Hey I'm a historian, and I like period accuracy. I made mine for under thirty dollars. I shall be posting picks soon. I'm also working on a piratey corset as a commision for a local friend. So there will be pics of that one as well.