PDA

View Full Version : I need help deciding on my next costume

JoeBoeing
10-12-2002, 10:28 PM
Hi all,

I'm torn between 4 differant characters whom I all like but I just don't know which to do next.

I don't want to hear the, "Do whichever you like more" and the like. I'm asking because I want to know what you guys think are more under-appreciated or underdone costumes.

The choices:

1. Mario from Mario Bros.
2. E. Honda from Super Street Fighter II Turbo
3. Mitsukake from Fushigi Yuugi
4. Sie Kensou from King of Fighters

For refrence I'm 5 foot 10 and weigh 338lbs with a 61 inch waist. I can pull off E. Honda and Mario but Mitsukake is severly under rated and barely anyone does him. And I identify myself heavily with Kensou.

Please help,
Joe Boeing

Koumori
10-12-2002, 10:36 PM
I love Mitsukake.

But if you identify with Kensou, why not do Kensou?

JoeBoeing
10-12-2002, 10:44 PM
I'm glad to find another Mistukake fan. Miaka, Nuriko and Mitsukake are my favs of the show. He was soooooo noble and I myself in him as well.

As to your questions. I just feel that Kensou was done really well by several cos-players (Wayne of the AGSMA being the best) I know cos-play is about fun... but when one has perfected it I feel it should take a step back on the list.

While there have been Mario cos-players (H-chan's is my fav) and Mitsukake cos-players I have yet to see an excellent one.

and E.Honda I don't think was ever done in the U.S. and I have his size to pull it off.

FRom,
Joe Boeing

Hikaruchan
10-12-2002, 11:50 PM
There is a Mario that is French that shows up at southeast conventions that does that character very well. At AWA there were 2 Marios, so seems cosplay of him has picked up recently.

JoeBoeing
10-12-2002, 11:52 PM
really? anyone have a pic of him?

H-chan's Mario is still my favorite.

Mink
10-13-2002, 07:11 PM
Go with Mitsukake...Ive never seen him done very well either, it should be a challenge. Plus you get to carry around a cat *wishes she has seen Trigun so she could carry around the cute cat!*

Sami
10-13-2002, 08:04 PM
I would love to see either E. Honda or Mitsukake. I honestly don't think I've ever seen an E. Honda cosplay, and he's so recognizable that I don't think you'd have a problem having to explain who you were. ^_^

However, Mitsukake is seriously undercosplayed as well! Choices choices.. well, that's just my two cents. :D Keep us updated on which one you choose!

Koumori
10-13-2002, 08:45 PM
I'd be thrilled if you did Mitsukake. I might even glomp you and I don't glomp anybody.

Celine
10-13-2002, 08:46 PM
E. Honda would be very interesting... verrrry interesting. ^_^ You'd have all the SF fans going nuts over that. I can't recall ever seeing one.

But I'd vote for Mario because I really love Mario. He's got a crazily cute design.

Himemiya
10-13-2002, 08:56 PM
I vote for everyone but mario, because lots of people do it ^^; but hey, if you love him go for it!

Hikaruchan
10-14-2002, 07:44 PM
Here is pics of Mario in SE cons, middle of page
http://www.fansview.com/2002/may2002/az25c0007.html

What is really good is he has the mannerisms down to go with the outfit.

officer_fujita
10-14-2002, 10:52 PM
I vote for E. Honda :)

JoeBoeing
10-14-2002, 11:13 PM
Hi all,

Hikaru-chan - that is a pretty good Mario.

Anyways, I have decided my next costume...

*3 drums-a-thumping*

E. Honda!

Mitsukake was close but after reading these replies I have decided on E. Honda.

I'll save Mitsukake for when I got my new sewing machine in a couple months.

I went to my local Jo-Ann's Fabrics and they did have the material needed for my E. Honda costume.

I need 5 yards of blue/white striped cotton/poly blend fabric and from at least a 45 inch bolt. at least 2 1/2 wide vetical stripes.

I have a poofy scar from my surgery when I had my motorcycle accident in 1999 on my right shoulder... anyone know how to cover that?

Also, should I get geta sandles or straw sandles? E. Honda is barefoot but I don't want to cut my feet.

Also, I'm going to get a wig for the costume and will put it in a top knot... anyone know how to do that?

Thanks everyone who helped me decide my next costume.

FRom,
Joe Boeing

Celine
10-14-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by JoeBoeing
I have a poofy scar from my surgery when I had my motorcycle accident in 1999 on my right shoulder... anyone know how to cover that?

Also, should I get geta sandles or straw sandles? E. Honda is barefoot but I don't want to cut my feet.

Also, I'm going to get a wig for the costume and will put it in a top knot... anyone know how to do that?

Scar- Makeup! You can try and get some decent quality stage makeup from a theatrical or costume shop near you. It will cover scars. Try it out before the con to make sure you aren't allergic and also to see the coverage you will need.

Hmm... I think Honda's a decidedly Japanese character, geta sandals seem appropriate.

To style the wig, buy a styrofoam dummy head and pin the wig to it while you style it. That way it won't move around... and having the dummy heads around is quite useful!

Koumori
10-14-2002, 11:30 PM
Dang. No glomp for you. ;)

In addition to pinning the wig to your wig head, make sure you have a wig clamp or some other way of holding the head itself in place while you work. I learned this the hard way.

Geta are mostly worn outdoors - I'd suggest straw zori instead.

JoeBoeing
10-15-2002, 12:55 AM
I wanna be gloped! No fair! Oh well, I'll have Mitsukake for Ani-Magic 2003 and maybe A-Kon 2003.

Where can I get Straw Zori? What is Straw Zori? I've never seen those I don't think. also what price would be fair if/when I buy them?

I know some Japanese girls from Japan and a couple of them knoow I cos-play... maybe they can style the wig.

Celine - what is the name of a good scar covering make up?

Maybe I can get this done by Halloween.

FRom,
Joe Boeing

Celine
10-15-2002, 01:44 AM
Well, for makeup, it depends on what you can find locally... Ben Nye is a pretty good choice for costume makeup. You might also want to check out this thread: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2131

Eh, don't worry about glomping. Everyone has their own preferences... maybe you'd get glomped as Honda! XD I mean, personally, I'm obsessed with white mages.

Koumori
10-15-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by JoeBoeing
I wanna be gloped! No fair! Oh well, I'll have Mitsukake for Ani-Magic 2003 and maybe A-Kon 2003.

Where can I get Straw Zori? What is Straw Zori? I've never seen those I don't think. also what price would be fair if/when I buy them?

Zori are the flat sandals.. geta are the wooden ones (which I advise against because they're noisy and uncomfortable on hard floors, and bad for the floors too).

Hey, I *told* you I'd glomp Mitsukake... didn't say nothin' about anybody else.

JoeBoeing
10-30-2002, 07:03 PM
My mom said I can't use her sewing machine if I were to make a sumo wrestler costume because Sumo Wrestlers have no real cloths on... so it looks like E. Honda is out of the question (until I get my own machine).

So, here's my plan.

I'll piece together Kensou when I find the cloths at Thrift shops and in the mean time (read - Christmas break) I'll work on Junpei from Digimon Frontier and then I'll do Mistukake and have those 3 completed by March if all goes well.

Then my summer project will be Wizardmon from Digimon and after that who knows.

I really wanted to do E. Honda too.

FRom,
Joe Boeing