PDA

View Full Version : Putting Zangief together

thebraken
05-03-2010, 05:50 AM
So first of all, this is my first post, apologies if I'm in the wrong section, or too wordy, or what have you. (Not meant as a "Who should I be?" as I already know that, just a "How should I do it?" thread)

Moving on - One of my friends called me about a week ago, saying he'd gotten a contingent of folks to go to a con with (supposedly) one of each of the Street Fighter characters, and he asked me to tag along as Zangief.

Now, there are a handful of things that I need some advice/input with.

1) The chest hair. Oh God, the chest hair. I have a respectable amount naturally, but I'm not sure if it's sufficient. Roll with it? Or is there a source of good chest-wig?

2) Red/Green Tidy Widies vs. Alternate Costume - On the one hand, everyone will recognize the classic Zangief, and it'll really make sure I bust my ass to get into shape; On the other hand, I'm not quite sure how to go about making the costume. (Speedo/Posing Trunks are easy enough, it's the wrist bands, and belt that confound me.)

3) How to do the X scar thingers? The lazy part of me says to grab a Sharpie and draw them on, but the rest of me says "Dude. No." - So I'm wondering what I haven't thought of, shy of using proper fake scars.

Apologies if this is all newbish stuff, this is my second go-round at the cosplay thing... And the first one was a pretty basic Sabertooth getup, which revolved mostly around being really big, and blonde, with mutton chops.

KillaBeeSwarm
05-03-2010, 08:56 AM
1) I've seen people use fake chest hair before, and it works. And I've seen people use their natural hair. Attached are some pics, so you can get a gauge for how both styles look. If you want the fake chest hair, just google/bing "chest hair wig"

2) I believe you mean "tighty whities," as in tight white briefs :) For the belt, I'd buy a white one and then paint it gold, unless by chance you happen to come across a gold one. There are several ways to make the wristbands. I'd take the elastic waistband (http://sewinganswers.com/Elastic_Waistband.php) concept and use that to make an elastic wristband. I'd use a wide width elastic, two inches or so. Another way is to find a red wristband and then add the gold around it. If you can't find a red one in the right shade, buy one and then cover it with red fabric, and then the gold.

3) For fake scars, liquid latex seems to be popular, but it's not the only way. If you go into the Makeup Technique forum (http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82) and search for "scar" or "fake scar" you'll find lots of threads on different techniques like rigid collodion, scar wax, even lip liner.

Akuma145
05-03-2010, 09:21 AM
For the scars you want to get something called rigid collodion- its the stuff they use in movies.

here is a link for how to use it lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVbbgtVKLRo&playnext_from=TL&videos=pXvSOzVzshM

also man up and do the red undies lol

KillaBeeSwarm
05-03-2010, 10:51 AM
The makeup forum also has a FAQ at the top with several threads on scars

thebraken
05-03-2010, 07:28 PM
also man up and do the red undies lol

In doing some poking around the internet, I found these: http://www.internationaljock.com/cliff-keen-red-wrestling-briefs,6518.html

For the wrist bands, I had an epiphany last night about using the same sort of wristbands I used to use at the gym. (The kind that actually support your wrists, not the ones that are supposed to like... catch sweat.)

The belt is still bugging me, though. I really dig the look where it's got the really big round studs evenly spaced all the way around.

thebraken
05-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Holy give-a-damn, Batman! I have replies!

I have settled on wearing the traditional red briefs. Partially because the phrase "Man up" was used, and partially 'cause I found a pair for a decent price.

I am figuring that I'll go ahead and use a cup, so that I don't run into any awkwardness with that.

I think I have the wristbands figured out - I can just grab a couple of the sort I use for weightlifting when my wrists are feeling sore, and attach some fabric.

You guys have given a remarkable response about the scars, the hard part of that now is going to be deciding which approach to use.

The two things that are still bugging me are the belt (I want to try and nail the look, and not just use a yellow belt.) And the shoes. Mostly because I can't track down a good picture of Zangief's shoes...

Apologies for the double post - My computer has been ...interesting... lately *glares at it*

Garen
05-04-2010, 12:29 AM
All-purpose gold spray-paint can be found at most craftstores, and can be used on almost anything (fabric, leather, paper, feathers, wood, craft foam, hands if they get in the way). Read the back first to make sure it's all-purpose.

The belt itself looks kinda like the one I made for Tasuki's tessen holder (http://www.hikarikat.com/zora/Harem/harempics/tasuki.jpg). I cut the pieces out of fake suede, sewed them together and spray-painted them.