PDA

View Full Version : Anizona?

Aeroan
05-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Is there even going to be one this year?

kojikatsuya
05-06-2010, 02:57 PM

I'm going to go with no. They really failed last year and with Phoenix ComiCon kinda taking over, there's no point for AniZona anymore.

Red Comet
05-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Yes, I think Anizona is gone for good now.
But no worries - a new anime convention called Saboten-con has come to the Phoenix area:
http://www.sabotencon.com

I'm kinda surprised that this AniZona forum is still here - I thought by now it would be deleted or changed to a forum for Saboten-con.

Hazel Chaz
05-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Yes, I think Anizona is gone for good now.
But no worries - a new anime convention called Saboten-con has come to the Phoenix area:
http://www.sabotencon.com

I'm kinda surprised that this AniZona forum is still here - I thought by now it would be deleted or changed to a forum for Saboten-con.

It would be moved to the boneyard, not deleted, I think. And changing it over, no, it's only Saboten-con's second year.

Do they have dates for this year? Saboten-con's website still shows the October 2009 dates.

jounink
05-14-2010, 12:17 PM
It would be moved to the boneyard, not deleted, I think. And changing it over, no, it's only Saboten-con's second year.

Do they have dates for this year? Saboten-con's website still shows the October 2009 dates.

I think Saboten dates will be announced during PCC

milk&honey
05-20-2010, 12:28 PM
I think Saboten dates will be announced during PCC

They'll be updating the site before/after PCC.

Sailor Phoenix
05-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Well the anizona site is no longer there. So im guessing it's dead for good. At least I will always remember the good times I had there.

NyuNyu
06-01-2010, 12:34 AM
Yes, a year and the Easter date has passed and their website is gone. So my question is, why is this forum still here?

SabotenCon has announced it's 2010 date: Oct 1-3 Check Sabotencon.com for more info.

Anime Kaigi in Flagstaff is coming up this weekend too! Visit Animekaigi.com to register and see the events.

Kazukii
06-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Noone has asked to have a different Arizona Con to be put in its place.
It should be PCC since it's the biggest / most successful one we have.

Tenucha
06-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Plenty of people have asked for a different Arizona Con and that is why new ones continue to pop up every year in AZ.

Just in AZ the ones I can think of that are anime related are:
Phoenix ComiCon
Saboten Con
Anime Kaigi (Flagstaff, AZ)
Animeland TuCon (Tucson, AZ)
Con-Nichiwa (Tuscon, AZ)

I think cosplay.com should replace this AniZona thread and include PCC and Saboten Con amongst its listings. They are now the two largest in AZ.
I think PCC pulled in about 14,000 this year... which is awesome!

AniZona 3 had many many problems and had a complete staff change (all who left put on the one-shot Phoenix Anime Fest in 2006). AniZona staff at the end of A3 continued to pass blame around then stated that they only had so many months to put the con on for us. It was those couple months they claim they head pre-con that was the reason of the poor quality for a convention and for the care of many panelists and guests, according to main head of staff and "the banker" (during closing ceremonies and repeatedly state on the forums). A few of us even got verbally attacked by A3 staff here on cosplay.com after some of us were just making our own, honest opinions about the con and our experience.

2008 came around and AniZona 4 was in planning with quite a large guest list but at some point the convention was canceled and postponed for 2009. In 2009 AniZona 4 finally took place but this time with absolutely no guests other than the local group Toybox (Maybe they needed more than 34 months to get AniZona 4 moving?). Since then AniZona made a statement on the website saying they were stepping down from the yearly conventions and would focus on smaller events around the valley throughout the year, similar to the AniFests at Atomic Comics I had assumed. However nothing has been done or said since.
The new head staffs who were put in after AniZona 2 (and resulting in many A1 and A2 staff to leave and form PAF), I feel, ran the con into the ground and failed to revive what should have been the original and premiere Arizona Anime convention.

I'll still remember the fun I had and all the friends I made those first couple years but with where the con went, I am happy it has been "put out of its misery". To more simply answer your question: No. Dont expect another AniZona anytime soon. Instead just move on and have fun at any of the above mentioned cons if you're looking for anime or cosplay. There are many many other cons in AZ but those are the ones more focused on Anime, Games and cosplay.

Hazel Chaz
06-10-2010, 12:50 AM
Yes, a year and the Easter date has passed and their website is gone. So my question is, why is this forum still here?

Cosplay.com doesn't rename/repurpose its forums. Sure, Anizona's been gone for over a year, but people are still checking in here and talking about it. Compare to Ani-Magic's forum (http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14) -- Ani-Magic is dead and gone, but its forum is still around too.

Perhaps this forum should be moved to the Archives (http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)?

PastMaster
07-11-2010, 10:05 PM
I wouldn't bet on it! We are very much alive and it's not wise to waken a sleeping giant. Tends to fill them with a terrible resolve.

Hazel Chaz
07-12-2010, 12:26 AM
I wouldn't bet on it! We are very much alive and it's not wise to waken a sleeping giant. Tends to fill them with a terrible resolve.

That's interesting. Jennifer Gibson told me that the Antelope Valley Anime Society had been dissolved. Was I misinformed?

And www.autumn-dream.com is off the air -- the domain expired last month. And the less said about the current state of ani dash magic dot net, the better.

PastMaster
07-12-2010, 06:50 AM
Yes, that is correct. A new organization has been formed to run it. And the web site being reconstituted.

Hazel Chaz
07-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Yes, that is correct. A new organization has been formed to run it. And the web site being reconstituted.

This is what Jennifer told me:
As for telling other people, if they ask about an Ani-Magic 2010, feel free to tell them that we are working on a new group name, more events through out the year, and that there will be no convention in October 2010 , but we have high hopes of doing one in 2011. .. And, of course, refer them to our website to keep updated!

I assumed that a new group would imply a new convention with a new name.

PastMaster
07-12-2010, 05:43 PM
I've been talking with her all weekend. "group name" refers to the organization the runs Ani-Magic, not the name of the event itself. The name Ani-Magic is to continue.

Eberlins
08-13-2010, 12:24 AM
Awww, how sad that it's gone! It may not have been a very good get together, but Anizona '09 was my first convention. D8

Harra Arial
09-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Awww, how sad that it's gone! It may not have been a very good get together, but Anizona '09 was my first convention. D8

Was it now? Who all were you and did you see the lady in the white ballgown, red feather mask and red cloak?

~~~

All the same, last I heard AniZona isn't having any more conventions, but I thought the group who ran it were going to host smaller single-day events. No news on any so far, though. (Pity too, I love small-time events and single-day Cons. Like KikiCon 08 which was hosted at the ASU North Campus by the ASU Otaku Club. I freaking loved that event and wish there were more like it. Especially since the ASU North campus is gorgeous.)

That being said, does anyone know of any smaller Cons/Single Day Events going on in Arizona? Preferrably the Central Arizona/Valley area? (Say... about the size of AniZona 09, or a bit smaller than Saboten? 50-700 people, perchance?)

Hazel Chaz
09-10-2010, 05:11 PM
That being said, does anyone know of any smaller Cons/Single Day Events going on in Arizona? Preferrably the Central Arizona/Valley area? (Say... about the size of AniZona 09, or a bit smaller than Saboten? 50-700 people, perchance?)

Apart from Anime Kaigi up in Flagstaff? http://www.animekaigi.com/

CursingL
09-20-2010, 06:52 PM
I kind of want AniZona to come back. Its a convention that I can't be paranoid about my enemy having powerful connections with the staff.