PDA

View Full Version : Question about Judging

Mink
09-11-2003, 11:58 AM
How are you judged for your costume when you do a walk on with more than one person? For instance, my two girlfriends and I are doing an "evil girls" walk on at animagic....but there from all different series, and were each making our own costume. Are we judged as a group? How would our craftsmanship be judged? Or are we better off doing three seperate walk ons *craps pants because she is so scared of that idea*? Or coming up with a skit thing?

Also, what is the deal with animagic masq reg this year? Do you really just do it at the con?

Sorry lotsa questions!

Sarcasm-hime
09-11-2003, 12:17 PM
In the Worldcon masq. system, workmanship is judged individually beforehand and is voluntary. So if only one of you wanted workmanship judging, they'd only judge that one person...or if you each want separate workmanship judging, that's ok too. Workmanship judging is done before you go onstage, so what you do onstage has no effect on it. So you can do whatever you want onstage without worrying about workmanship judging.

However, not all cons use the same judging system, so you'd best ask the people in charge of the con you're going to.

Hikaruchan
09-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Depends on the con. At the convention I help judge at, if you enter as a group entry you will be evaluated as one for workmanship. So if there is two okay costumes and one outstanding in a group - it would be judged lower than the outstanding costume by itself. Its about the total picture of what the crowd sees. So if you had three great costumes against one single great worn by someone else - the three looking great together would be a more impressive walk on.

Mink
09-11-2003, 01:32 PM
I have no doubt that our costumes will be equal it quality (were all about the same skill level) but how are walk ons judged without the workmanship judging?

Hikaruchan
09-11-2003, 03:15 PM
Walk ons are usually more judged toward craftsmanship since there is no performance - so if there is a seperate craftsmanship judging I would highly recommend going to that if not doing skit.
If you can think of a character appropriate skit, that would be even better. The longer you stay on stage under judges eyes, usually you are better off (unless skit is too long or not interesting).

Miaka No Baka
09-11-2003, 11:00 PM
ani-magic does do craftsmanship judging. Last year they did it and it was rather rushed towards the end (due to time constraints the judges spent a good amount of time on each entry judging) but the judges were good in asking many questions and equally asking members of the group questions. A craftsmanship award is much harder to win at any con because you have to have massively good skills and make things perfectly tailored to each exact person. Part of the walk-on also is do you act like the character. You should be able to give off that vibe that "hey I AM (insert character here)" not the whole "I'm just dressing up as (insert character here)"

If you are entering for fun then don't worry about anything do what you want to do, but if you are choosing to enter solely for an award perhaps you should rethink things because you'll only wind up hurt and bitter if you don't win.

Miaka no Baka

Sarcasm-hime
09-12-2003, 08:21 PM
Walk-ons are judged for poise, attitude, grace...like Miaka said above, how do you carry yourself? Do you FEEL like your character and have the right attitude? For example, if your costume is a fancy full-length gown, a great walk-on would just be sweeping onstage (preferably withi appropriate music and perhaps a commentary by the MC) gracefully, do some appropriate poses so that the audience and judges can see your costume from all angles, then sweep offstage. If done dramatically, that kind of presentation can be far more impressive than a confused, incoherent skit.

Mandy Mitchell
09-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Ani-Magic is a very relaxed con. As for the Masquerade, "Anything goes!"