05-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Anybody else here do steampunk?

Shout out! :)

takimoto
05-10-2010, 11:08 PM
woop woop!!

Narnian
05-10-2010, 11:26 PM
I would like to make a steampunk outfit sometime in the near future. So far, I have a suitable skirt and boots set that I would like to incorporate.

Mehdia
05-11-2010, 12:14 AM
I made my first steampunk costume recently. Though it isn't for me, it was a birthday present for a friend. I designed it and then made it for her. A friend of her's that's cosplayed steampunk for a long time said he loved it and couldn't wait to see it on her. She's working on all the accessories and everything. I just made the clothing part. Here's some pictures: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/172876/

TheRedLion
05-11-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't know if I can call myself steampunk...though I get that shouted at me a lot. I do American Western/Victorian stuff...but not gears or clocks or what have you usually.

Fuck it though, sure. Steampunk yo.

acosplaylife4me
05-11-2010, 10:43 PM
I love steampunk, but haven't tried it yet. I feel since it is a non historically accurate period, it's like the only "genre" I feel I could do without old and/or racist and/or history nitpicker people giving me dirty looks, since the steampunk era never really existed. Wait let me explain myself. I love pirate cosplay. Everytime we go to a pirate event the old school guys totally give us the cold shoulder or evil eye. So what if I'm asian and asian pirates didn't dress like that back then, I want to have fun! :( They can't say anything about steampunk though! It can go as far as your imagination can take you.

Pretty much all cosplay that isn't an anime character, you have to be known as "the Asian so-and-so". Ah so very annoying.

Sarcasm-hime
05-12-2010, 02:12 PM
I've done a couple outfits, want to do more but my costume to-do list is a mile long!

Pocketfightr
05-12-2010, 04:03 PM
I've got the workings of a locksmith. Wore her to Anime Detour but she still needs something more.

Mangochutney
05-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Got a few more costumey outfits, working on something more fashiony now. And of course there's the Agatha costume--if Girl Genius doesn't count then there's something wrong with the world.

cookiechan01
05-12-2010, 07:57 PM
i wanna make one so does that count?

Braithcakes
07-12-2010, 11:22 PM
I love steampunk, but haven't tried it yet. I feel since it is a non historically accurate period, it's like the only "genre" I feel I could do without old and/or racist and/or history nitpicker people giving me dirty looks, since the steampunk era never really existed. Wait let me explain myself. I love pirate cosplay. Everytime we go to a pirate event the old school guys totally give us the cold shoulder or evil eye. So what if I'm asian and asian pirates didn't dress like that back then, I want to have fun! :( They can't say anything about steampunk though! It can go as far as your imagination can take you.

Pretty much all cosplay that isn't an anime character, you have to be known as "the Asian so-and-so". Ah so very annoying.

>o> you should do an asian-inspired steampunk aesthetic, asia DID exist in the time periods that steampunk takes place in, after all :]

silkroad sky-merchant, for the win?

MPsy
07-13-2010, 04:08 AM
Well in the sp community I'm usually known by the alias Capt. Wong Wei the Canton Calamity.

*points down at his sig*

For Asian influences you can look towards the Wild Weird West at the Chinese railroad workers and many of my sp outfits do have a bit of Asian influence here and there.

Kaoshima
07-19-2010, 11:54 PM
>o> you should do an asian-inspired steampunk aesthetic, asia DID exist in the time periods that steampunk takes place in, after all :]

silkroad sky-merchant, for the win?

That sounds awesome. Do it.

There's a guy around here who goes by "Lord Ramirez" and his story is that in the style of Commodore Perry opening Japan's doors to western influence, he was the first entrepreneur to open up an airship line between China and the western world, making him ridiculously wealthy. He wears a gold dragon pendant around his neck because when he first landed, the peasants all called his airship the "Golden Dragon"

Just an example of a simple but awesome background can really round out your steampunk alter-ego's persona and outfit, and how accessories can help tell the story.

JamesTheWolf
07-21-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm just getting into Steampunk, and I've made up a character and am writing short stories about him, so I hope I'm doing it right :)

I'm taking more western influence, but he is a journalist/adventurer operating out of Boston, so while he may have a western look, it will be more an influence than a style. I will also be building a prop to use. basically a phonograph recording device in a briefcase, with gears exposed in a window.

(also first post. yay!)

godmi
07-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Definitely! <3 It's my number one genre.