PDA

View Full Version : Painting on Stockings

Mariks_Dragon
05-09-2010, 12:18 AM
I am working on a costume from Soul Calibur 4, my character wears stocking that have red hand prints on them. What would be the best way to apply those to the stockings. Thanks

rubyredrose
05-09-2010, 12:42 AM
There are three ways to do so that I can think of, each of which is either easy and cheap or harder and will look better. Which is best is up to you.

You can apply red fabric paint to your hands, and then while wearing the stockings apply the hand stamp to the stockings. This will be cheapest, but you can expect that the fabric paint will be more bulky and will look...pasted on.

You could use a baltik type of dying process where your draw the hand prints in negative using either hot wax or a water washable type of glue (it's the blue gel that elmers makes) then apply red dye to the area. Then wash out your blocking medium. This will look good and wear well, but you'd have to draw the hand print, so it requires a certain amount of artisticness.

Lastly, you could do a hand print on tacking paper, cut out the hand print, and use the OUTSIDE as a kind of screenprint. (like here) (http://taeliac.deviantart.com/art/Fakie-Screen-Printing-Tutorial-55149185) This one is probably the most expensive, but would be how I'd suggest since you can trace the hand print, and since you'd be screenprinting the stockings, it would wear well.

Mariks_Dragon
05-09-2010, 01:38 PM
With the last method you talked about, should I wear the stocking while silkscreening or should I not?

CapsuleCorp
05-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Actually, if you use the right paint, the paint on stockings or tights will not look thick or crusty. I prefer Jacquard's NeoOpaque fabric paints. They're a little more pricey than a bottle of Tulip, but they're acrylic-based so you can thin them with water to make a very fine paint that will stick to the fabric but not be thick or goopy. I have used them like watercolors to paint soft, watery wave patterns on my friend's tights and we got SO many people amazed that they were painted - they thought we bought them like that.

You just have to be wearing the tights at the time and have someone else do the painting for you.

rubyredrose
05-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Any way you put the design on, you'll need to fill the stockings with something leg shaped...but since many permanent dyes are somewhat toxic, I'd hesitate to wear the stockings if not using a non-toxic fabric paint. With the dying processes, I'd suggest taking a rolled towel so it's leg shaped (and covering it in plastic, say, a large trash bag) and stuffing one in each leg to fill out the stocking.

SelinaK
05-11-2010, 03:12 AM
I used a thick permanent green marker pen for making 'Cammy' blotches on danskin tights. You need to be wearing the tights when you do it, to protect your legs with food wrap and give the tights several coats of the ink to avoid them looking 'blotchy'. Wash them well afterward (it's surprising how much of the 'permanent' ink comes out) and all's done.