PDA

View Full Version : Fear of entering masq due to bias?

Lucifer
09-11-2003, 10:40 PM
I don't know if this is anything that happens in other cons, but locally its become a rather large issue, and I'm curious as to how others view it.

For a masq, would someone bother to enter when they know those judging have extreme bias against particular genres? Example is you worked hard on a jrock/pop oriented skit and know two or more judges passionately hate jrock, would you bother to enter?

Most would I assume, for the fact they wish to entertain the audience. I'm only curious of other's viewpoints. This has been an issure I've faced personally several times this year mind you (thus making me tempted not to enter any contests anymore).

Psychotic Jei
09-11-2003, 11:44 PM
I think the judges shouldn't even have that kind of bias. And if they obviously do (since a contestant could see it) they shouldn't be put in the position of judging.

Me personally, I would enter anyway not only to entertain, but just to spite them. :: such a mean vindictive person :: =D

archangeli
09-12-2003, 10:36 AM
I don't think it should matter what the judges personally think about one genre or another. I mean, in a masquerade they are judging the quality of your skits, costumes, workmanship, etc. Just because the judges may not like JRock doesn't mean they can't spot an amazing outfit when they see one.

It's really sad that something this superficial has hurt your cosplaying experiences.

Koumori
09-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Depends. Are awards the ONLY reason you want to enter the masquerade?

RedPikachu
09-12-2003, 12:09 PM
if you are in the masquerade and just wanna win stuff, i would suggest to that person not to participate. i think a masquerade is more about fun for the cosplayers on stage and the audience.

Menchi
09-12-2003, 02:09 PM
me i quit entering the masqeruades...being i could spend the time having fun instead of waiting in a long ling for judging *Shrugs*

Scortia
09-12-2003, 07:30 PM
Enter... if anything, do it to prove that you can make a great skit that the audience recognizes as great and makes the judges look worse if they don't choose yours. I was in a similar situation for a skit before and it felt good to have members of the audience come up to us after the skit and say "I can't believe they didn't give you an award!" "You guys were so much better than the ones that won" ... so on and so on... yes, the bias will always exist.

Mandy Mitchell
09-13-2003, 03:29 PM
I enter in Masquerades regardless of the outcome. The whole point is to go up there and have fun!

katrinastrife
09-14-2003, 12:12 PM
I enter in Masquerades regardless of the outcome. The whole point is to go up there and have fun!

Well, as long as your idea of fun is performing arts... For example, my boyfriend really wants to do a good Johnny the Homocidal Maniac costume, but there's no way in hell he'd go on stage (if such costumes were allowed in the costume contest), because he's got terrible stage fright! So, it wouldn't be much fun for him =/ He'd rather just walk around dressed as Nny.

I think of it this way: when it comes to cosplay contests, don't let anyone stop you from doing a skit--judges bias, audience bias, whatever. But, don't go up there with something half-assed, just because you felt you had to do something! ^_^ You don't have any obligation to enter the cosplay, just because you're in costume! But, I'm sure you all know this, ne! ^^*

*Feels Silly*