PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* sometimes I wonder....

Keurblitz
10-13-2002, 11:53 AM
Hm.. Just a question, am I the only one on this board that loves to watch Initial D?? Eh... the character designs suck but I just love those CG graphics!! OMG.... And the storyline too !! ... eh... maybe I'm just weird.... Anybody know if the new series of Initial D started yet? I heard they are calling it the 4th stage?....

Ayaka
10-13-2002, 12:03 PM
I've only just seen some episodes, really, and I missed the first few. But a) I can't drive; b) I don't like cars especially; and c) I think this show is cool. ^^ Of course, I don't get a fair bit of what they're talking about . . . but I do like the show. Even though sometimes it feels a bit too melodramatic, with the bits with the guys who are gonna challenge him, having their little "moments of resolve" or whatever, talking to themselves . . . lol.

And how could anyone possibly not at least like the OP song?

Mei Lan Chang
10-13-2002, 03:03 PM
*points to Eurobeat King* He had that and Para Para playing in our window alllllll Animagic long....

Tenshi
10-13-2002, 03:14 PM
I'd like to watch it. I like car-racing, although not THAT type of car racing (I like NASCAR. . .my redneck side is coming out :P). And it would probably be the ONE anime I could get my brother interested in. Maybe I'll pick up the manga first.

And the OP song is cool. I just downloaded it last night *_*.

MarshalBanana
10-13-2002, 06:45 PM
OH MY GOSH!!! INITIAL D ROCKS HARDCORE!!! feel alone no longer for i an an avid lover of initial d! ive got all of it and ive watched it like a million times...mmm, love the cars, love to drive, love to drift...mmmm.. yes yes.. al (eurobeatking) likes initial d too!! weee!!! im all excited about initial d now! aim me some time NeoCaptorTheory ... we can chat! ^__^ woot woot!

Sami
10-13-2002, 08:14 PM
INITAL D!!!! I love it!! ^____^ I think Takumi's so cute, heehee. I love the CG, and I eventually got used to the different character designs. It's funny, I watched it with my boyfriend recently who is a major car fanatic and he understood all of the "car jargon" that they talk, and he's hooked now too, LOL!!

By the way, I asked him if all of the "car jargon" was actually real things that made sense or just a bunch of hokey pokey, and he said it was very accurate. ^_^

I've only seen through half of the First Stage.. sadness.. the music is awesome too, eurobeat is tubular. :D

MarshalBanana
10-13-2002, 10:53 PM
woo hoo!! we have a new club! the initial d lovers club!!! weee!!

Hungryjack
10-14-2002, 12:04 AM
I just finished Initial D recently. I absolutely loved it. My wife started watching it with me and as she put it, she didn't really like it all that much, but it was somehow addicting. it's true.

I would just watch and watch. You know how all the races are going to end up, but you watch it anyway. I think I could probably watch the whole thing again. Plus, 'Around the World' really gets in your head after you hear it over and over (and over)

shadow
10-14-2002, 08:33 AM
I like it for three reasons.

It is fast paced and I like the animation.
The story is pretty good.
I own the same car as one of the main characters.

I dislike it for one reason.

It has a lot to do with street racing (which I am against) and it also promotes drifting which is extremely dangerous especially on streets.

I would generally say it is a really good series.

Shadow

Ayaka
10-14-2002, 02:43 PM
Shadow - which car?

peacecraft
10-14-2002, 02:58 PM
I LOVE Initial D.

Therefore:

I HATE Tokyopop and what they're doing to it for the U.S. release. KILL KILL KILL!!!

Anyway, yeah, I like it. Now I need a better car.... Damn...

Hungryjack
10-14-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by shadow
It has a lot to do with street racing (which I am against)

It was an ongoing joke with us that Akina apparently had no police force since street racing ran rampant, hospital-type accidents seemed fairly routine, and you had a crazy guy in a red civic trying to run people off the road to their deaths.

Keurblitz
10-14-2002, 05:09 PM
Personally, even though street car racing is dangerous, I think it requires more skill than professional races... ::cough:: NASCAR ::cough:: ack.. I don' t see the point of racing around in a circle, it's more of an endurance race than a race that requires skills....

MarshalBanana
10-14-2002, 05:28 PM
the police in japan have a tendency to look the other way in regards to street racing in general... they know that it stimulates the economy and other such things so they tend to be more forgiving then the cops here in the us... not to say that they dont ever give citations but its much the same way that the police deal with the yakuza, as long as they arent disrupting the general populace or causeing a big disturbance they are pretty much left alone... would take too much time and money to kill something that cant be killed...

Foxwolfe
10-14-2002, 07:10 PM
I love Initial D too what can I say, even if it is predictable as hell as far as the races go heh.

As far as tokyopop goes, I really like what theyve done lately as far as manga goes, except of course Initial D, I can stand them screwing with the anime (as long as they put out a unaltered version as well which they said they will do, no clue as to WHEN though), but messing up the manga was just a bad idea, they pretty much explained theyre reason for that as being that they wanted it to mirror what theyve done with the anime so that the little kiddies that watch it, will go buy the manga as well. I just dont see that happening myself, I know if I was a kid watching a show like that for the first time I wouldnt be in the least inclined to go look for the comic book of it, but rather be more interested in toys or whatnot, but all the actuall manga buyers are now screwed, yay us.

shadow
10-15-2002, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Ayaka
Shadow - which car?

A second generation rx-7.
They probably would have called it a fC3S in the show.
I will post a small picture if I have one.......
which I probably don't...... I need a digital camera... oh well.

Shadow

shadow
10-15-2002, 02:21 AM
I found a small picture. This is when it was still at the dealers.
I did not put the stickers on..... previous owner........ wheres my scraper.. hehe

the original picture was too big so I toned it down.

Shadow

Ayaka
10-15-2002, 02:36 AM
Yeah, they just call it "the FC" most of the time. COOL. I'll have to show that to my fellow fans in the anime club here. ^^

Ah . . . Initial D may well be what finally motivates me to learn to drive . . . lol. (Nah, I won't do the dangerous stuff. oO;;; )

Okita Souji
10-15-2002, 02:38 AM
Nice car. Thats a FC3S alright. Btw, I notice it's right hand drive. I take it the previous owner imported it here?

I like the series since i'm into cars and tuning as well as circuit type racing. I don't like how some people after watching the series think they can duplicate what they see and or think that drifting is all that. Course those are the same people who pretty much fall into the credit card racer status.

The streetracing thing is always debatable. In going against what Keurblitz said, streetracing is not harder than pro races, just more dangerous. In pro races, whether it be circuit, nascar, or rally are much harder as the limits and demands are much higher.

shadow
10-15-2002, 02:55 AM
I actually imported it.
I never met the previous owner.

I generally just think as street racing as people who are willing to risk the lives of innocent people.

I also cannot believe the misconception that came from that show that drifting is faster. =P

Originally posted by Okita Souji
I don't like how some people after watching the series think they can duplicate what they see and or think that drifting is all that. Course those are the same people who pretty much fall into the credit card racer status.

I agree I am amazed at what people will do to cars that daddy bought them. :lost:

Shadow

Foxwolfe
10-15-2002, 04:07 AM
Heh its nice to find people that have the same views on this stuff as me, I hate when some kid that just got his liscense and car and after watching Initial D, thinks he knows all there is to know about racing and the such. But ah well.

I also have the same dislike for street racing, I love going to searspoint and watching the cars and talkin with the owners. I wont humiliate myself by running my current car down there, Im still saving up for something else.

Hey shadow, something I was wondering about imports, how hard was it to learn to drive everything opposite? As for the stickers, I had the same problem with my car, nice paint/decal on the back windshield that was all cracked looking, had to get rid of that mess fast.

shadow
10-15-2002, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Foxwolfe
Hey shadow, something I was wondering about imports, how hard was it to learn to drive everything opposite?

It is not very difficult I just try to only drive a right hand car or a left hand car for certain lengths of time. It is not dangerous until you stop paying attention and your habits that you have when driving a left hand car comes out. ie drifting out more across a lane.

There are some dangerous aspects though.
When passing on a highway you must go back really far because you will not be able to see around the vehicle in front without crossing the centre line. If you go back farther you can see more.
Left hand turns at controlled intersections can be tricky. I tend to take ample time. I want to get a 2 way mirror for the left side of my car.

If you ever want to import a car I can say learning to drive it is the easy part. Importing it is incredibly difficult. You definitely got to know the laws. if you import a car that does not follow the laws... they will probably crush it and bill you for it. I probably spent half a year looking around and maybe another half actually pursuing it. Also insurance is just great. I have no tickets or accidents and it is high. Also my only other comment is you can never speed because if you get caught you probably will not be able to afford the insurance... I know I wouldn't. :thumbsup:

Shadow

Okita Souji
10-15-2002, 07:57 AM
Thats pretty cool you took the time to import that car. I know in California, importing any car is a pain the ass since it needs to meet not only DOT safety and specs, but CA smog as well. It's easy to spend double the car's worth sending it through a registered importer to have them modify the car to meet the U.S. standards.

If people really want to do stuff they see in Initial D they should 1. take time to either read on what real racing is about 2. Maybe go to auto-x (hey it's like only $20 or so to get your runs in) 3. Go to a weekend school at a track.

shadow
10-15-2002, 08:03 AM
Yea the Dot safety and specs are a pain and emissions are no joke either.

Originally posted by Okita Souji
If people really want to do stuff they see in Initial D they should 1. take time to either read on what real racing is about 2. Maybe go to auto-x (hey it's like only $20 or so to get your runs in) 3. Go to a weekend school at a track.

Basically Okita what you is my bible....