PDA

View Full Version : Anime North news

kaiba
09-12-2003, 06:44 AM
Copy and pasted directly from the AnimeNorth livejournal community:

Well, as a presiding staff member of Anime North, I feel it my duty to inform the public of the following information:

(a) We have chosen a new site, I am unable to tell you all where it is located until the contracts are fully negotiated, but it is looking hopeful and it's rather close to where AN was this year (please, no guessing, I won't tell :p)

(b) The con will be held on Victoria Day weekend, that is the 21st through to the 23rd.

(c) Since this year's con will be split into two (close) locations, the Dealer's Room, the Art Room, and Artist's Alley will all be in one building, while everything else will be in another. That being said, all AA applications will be dealt with by the Dealer's people. This is not to say that Artist's Alley is being run by Dealer's. In fact, we are doing this to make the paperwork a bit more manageable. So don't worry, I'll still be around as your loveable Artist's Alley coordinator. *winks*

and finally

(d) Get crackin' on those costumes and those skits. Victoria Day weekend is approaching fast. ^_-

lainey
09-12-2003, 09:45 PM
o YAY! That means it's still close to my house then MUAH and it's on the Victoria Day weekend!
I can DEFINITELY make it then!

Weeee! Everyone get to sewing!

Sarcasm-hime
09-12-2003, 10:19 PM
Everybody keep in mind that next year's location (yes, I know where it is but can't say yet) will not be ideal. It sounds like it'll be okay, but not our 'perfect' hotel scenario and some areas might be a bit inconvenient compared to what AN congoers are used to. We've had to make do with what we can get, and due to SARS there's a huge rush of events rescheduling for 2004. So we had to compromise. So just keep that in mind...and hopefully we'll be able to finally settle somewhere great for 2005. ^_^ Who knows, maybe by then the Regal will be renovated and fabulous...

Kaijugal
09-13-2003, 04:01 AM
Everybody keep in mind that next year's location (yes, I know where it is but can't say yet) will not be ideal. It sounds like it'll be okay, but not our 'perfect' hotel scenario and some areas might be a bit inconvenient compared to what AN congoers are used to. We've had to make do with what we can get, and due to SARS there's a huge rush of events rescheduling for 2004. So we had to compromise. So just keep that in mind...and hopefully we'll be able to finally settle somewhere great for 2005. ^_^ Who knows, maybe by then the Regal will be renovated and fabulous...

Yes I would agree that the location seems less than ideal, but as they say in the old country, beggars can't be choosers. LOL!
Currently my biggest concerns are these things, 1)Transit, not as optimal as it was previously. 2) The trek back and forth from venue to venue. 3) The whole space sharing situation 4) The echo in main room. ARGH! Stage availabiliy and new set up. Double argh.. .....OOOhhh fabulously rennovated Regal.... ^_^" *sniffle*

lainey
09-13-2003, 09:27 AM
awwww...so the stage for the masquerade is going to really suck eh?

Well if the distance isn't too bad to cross from building to building, I won't mind...but if it's a good distance... LoL
I dunno..it'll be insane.

Mage
09-13-2003, 01:38 PM
How....long of a trek...? o_o I had a hard enough time getting back to the dealer room this year...lol...and still ended up missing stuff because of the perilous and photographer-filled journeys back and forth. x_X;

Hmm. Note to self: avoid costumes with painful heels as much as possible. >_<;

So....next week we find out? ^_^

I hope the lobby of one or the other location is going to be big and picture worthy like the Regal's was...that was always very convenient for photoshoots. ^_^

Allia
09-13-2003, 11:02 PM
"The con will be held on Victoria Day weekend, that is the 21st through to the 23rd."

I thought it was going to be memorial day weekend? If this is true I might not be able to go. I might only get to go for one day and that would suck. Is this for sure? * continues to panic*

JustinCredible
09-13-2003, 11:20 PM
The con being split doesn't really bug me that much. I only found a box of Pocky worth buying last year in the D-room... no video games at all :lost:.

There is a bunch of us that want to help with the video game room and provide some OLD SKOOL for the peeps! SEGA MASTER SYSTEM WHOO HOO!

For those who are discouraged... don't worry! These are growing pains (minus the Leo... :shudders:) and on May 21st we all be 'sharing the laughter and love....'

Hell... I started the song... might as well finish it.

EVERYBODY!!!

Show me that smile again (Ooh show me that smile)
Don't waste another minute on your cryin'
We're nowhere near the end (We're nowhere near...)
The best is ready to begin

Ooh...
As long as we got each other
We got the world spinnin' right in our hands
Baby you and me...
We got to be...
The luckiest dreamers who never quit dreamin'

As long as we keep on givin'
We can take anything that comes our way
Baby rain or shine...
All the time...
We got each other
Sharin' the laughter and love

Michi
09-14-2003, 12:41 AM
:D!!!! 21st-23rd means I can attend and not have to miss Fanime! Happyhappyhappy!

heki-chan
09-14-2003, 02:26 AM
its sunday, which is sorta "next week"
gah im dying with curiousity

i wonder if its the marriott..hmmm lighting there was badbad for photos so i hope not ERK ^_^

i miss the regal BUUUUT a change of location is probably a good thing, since AN2003 felt EXACTLY like AN2002 which was REALLY creeeeeepy...^^;

*is done rambling*

but the trek back and forth between the buildings is gonna be horrible in costume *whines*

but we'll make the most of it :) *sooo excited about AN04's cosplay plans* *bubbles*

Sarcasm-hime
09-17-2003, 05:47 PM
More info, just so everybody can understand how hard it has been for the execs trying to find a new location. I've heard some griping and complaining, and I'd just like to address it. This split-location thing is NOT their first choice, it's just what we have to deal with. (sorry, the locations still have not been officially announced so I can't give details; the name of the location has been replaced with ___________)

From AN Staff:

"1) We have spent about 12 weeks (read the entire summer) trying to hunt down for a new venue, negotiate with various hotels (some good, some bad and some very heavy negotiations to the point of ridiculous) and bottom line- the BEST option with *all* things considered is the _____________.
Not just for us but more importantly for the fans.
(sure...we could have gone to the Royal York but raise hands for those who want to pay $200+/night for 2 people ^_^)

With the ____________ for 2004---Its either THAT or NO con.

2) We *have* looked at this from all angles.:) to include what other anime cons are going on...what to do about masquerade, sound, transportation etc.
We have sliced and diced this so many ways- its mind boggling and we know that for 2004 there will be *costs* involved.

3) For 2004- the situation will not be 100% ideal and there will be some programming areas that will be sucking it up the most in regards of not having the ideal situation- but remember we are in this together and we have no other choice.

For an event our size- without the Regal- there are no longer affordable (read for function space AND hotel rooms) hotels with enough space to hold us. 2004 will be the year of growing pains. I dont like either- but we simply have to work with it for 2004 and suck up the annoying things."

Machiko
09-17-2003, 05:55 PM
damn...does that mean we have to pay a hell lot of money for getting a hotel room?? oh wait...i read wrong ^.^'' wow AN at the Royal York...LOL! that's funny lol so it's near the regal..that means by the airport?!?!?!?! NYOOOO.....far away... -.-''' *bah*

why are they making us walk around back and forht anyways? is the place really that small??? >.o i'm gonna freeze if the walk is a LONG walk..i froze this year, hope it's not gonna be cold this year..

archangeli
09-17-2003, 06:30 PM
*sigh*
money and politics. . .

oh well. the location isn't really a big deal as long as the con is still happening :D

Cyber Surfer
09-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Just out of curiousity, where's the Anime North Livejournal community? The address I mean ^_^; I've just bene posted to the hotel news message board ^_^;

archangeli
09-18-2003, 12:39 AM
Well, there's always the official Anime North forums: http://pub43.ezboard.com/bteahouseofthemaplemoon

But there isn't much there right now.

Kaijugal
09-18-2003, 01:47 AM
[COLOR=darkgreen] :bigtu: Hahaha Sarcasm, you've done a great job of posting some of the meat of the subject without giving too much away.

*** I'm going to reenforce the statement that THIS VENUE WAS NOT THE FIRST CHOICE, IT WAS ULTIMATELY THE ONLY CHOICE if there was going to be an Anime North in 2004.***

Many of the unusual circumstances are being worked out as best as can be by the different departments. There are a few issues that worry me mostly main room stuff, details around masq and transportation?, how the dance will be handled? Transportation and safe storage for J-Rock Instruments/Speakers and videography/AV equip, etc.

There is ONE other potential big issue which will become clear when we post all the details. (It's so wierld it's almost funny)

Sarcasm-hime
09-18-2003, 03:35 AM
The AN Livejournal community is at http://www.livejournal.com/community/anime_north/

As for walking, there's no way around it. Neither of the two venues is big enough to hold the *entire* con, so we have to split it. There *will* be a free shuttle-bus back and forth, not sure right now exactly how frequently it will run.

We just need to make a point of having fun despite the inconveniences, since there's nothing that can be done about them. ^_^

Machiko
09-18-2003, 11:00 PM
shuttle bus??? YAY! i dun have to freeze to death lol ^__^ *super happie*

Catpaw
09-20-2003, 11:33 PM
Awww crap... If I go, I gotta remember this or I'll be lost...

Kia
09-21-2003, 12:14 AM
LOL, I think we're *all* going to have to figure this out. Either that of wander around only half the convention the whole weekend. ^_^

Vanity Fading
09-21-2003, 11:31 AM
dang... and an 04 was gonna be the first time I'm gonna get a hotel so I don't have to go back home =/ im conffuzled

Sarcasm-hime
09-29-2003, 01:56 AM
An update from the Exec staff...it turns out that the Anime North LJ is not officially sanctioned (it's not run by the con), so any info from it cannot be considered official.

Actual message from the higher-ups:
----------------------------
To those at Cosplay.com

I am sure many of you are anticipating Anime North 2004 as much as the staff is, but would like to let those in all communities that there are only two (2) places where you will find official and more importantly CORRECT information about the details of Anime North.

1) Our website: www.animenorth.com However the some of the new details for 2004 will not be posted until Dec or Jan, as we are still working on the content (information) to be posted on our website. The hotel/venue information should be posted shortly.

2) Our message board via Ezboard: http://pub43.ezboard.com/bteahouseofthemaplemoon

Any other information from any other sources (to include past/future staff) should be considered with a grain of salt.:)

I know many of you have many questions, we have them too! So until we have all of the details clearly worked out- we ask that you hold your questions for a bit, as you will find we have thought of these ahead of time and will most likely have them answered in our new FAQs.:) This also includes speculation, since though it is ok to speculate (after all it is like thinking out loud)- some people are taking this as the official word and are getting confused.:) Anime North doesnt want confusion- we want people to have fun!

Our main goal is always to bring you a 3 day weekend of fun, that is affordable and as fan friendly as possible!

Thanks-
Tamara MacDonald
Liaison Director
Anime North 2004

JustinCredible
09-30-2003, 08:51 AM
Well the venue has been announced!

http://pub43.ezboard.com/fteahouseofthemaplemoonfrm32.showMessage?topicID=7 .topic

http://www.torontocongresscentre.com/

Kia
09-30-2003, 12:21 PM
^_^ Yeah! We finaly have the news!
O_O .... I have to wear my masquerade costume on the shuttle bus? ... :: sigh :: oh well, at least we got a big venue...

archangeli
09-30-2003, 11:05 PM
wow. i just checked out the floorplans of the TCC. It's HUGE!

*is excited*

rainetomoe
10-01-2003, 02:32 PM
Yah I saw the announcement too....though I'm still sad about what happened to the Regal we will all still have fun and a great weekend ^_^
By the awy has anyone heard any news on what's going on with the regal and if it's avaliable for 2005 will Anime North go back there?? I hope so....I really liked that hotel. ^_^

Sarcasm-hime
10-01-2003, 03:36 PM
We don't know what's going on with the Regal. There are rumours that it's been sold, but nothing's certain so we can't count on it. As stated on the AN message board, for 2005 we will be in the International Plaza Hotel (across the street from the TCC). I liked the Regal too, but we were getting a bit too big for it...also the quality of the rooms wasn't the greatest. The International Plaza is, I believe, a better quality hotel.

archangeli
10-02-2003, 11:46 PM
Question to those "in the loop":
Will all the events at AN04 be held in the convention centre? Meaning, no trekking between buildings to get from artist alley to the video rooms....?

Sarcasm-hime
10-03-2003, 02:12 PM
Some events will be in the convention centre, some in the hotel. The major stuff (Dealer's Room, Art Room, Gaming, Main Room) will be in the big convention centre.

The panels and video rooms, unfortunately, will have to be in the hotel as the convention centre is one enormous room and therefore there would be problems with sound bleeding--not appropriate for panel discussions or video viewing.

We understand that this is not ideal, and it's only for this year. The convention centre does have smaller rooms, I think, but they were already booked.

archangeli
10-03-2003, 03:01 PM
ah. danke!

that's what i wanted to know!

Koumori
10-03-2003, 03:29 PM
Huh. Interesting. Well, I've requested the time off from work already, so I'll be there.

lainey
10-03-2003, 06:59 PM
any idea of where the masquerade will be? will it be bigger or smaller than the one at AN2003?

Sarcasm-hime
10-03-2003, 07:21 PM
The masquerade will be in the Main Room, which will be in the Congress Centre. We anticipate having a surplus of space there, so we can probably make it as big as we like. ^_^

Allia
10-03-2003, 07:48 PM
Which hotel are you talking about?

Sarcasm-hime
10-03-2003, 11:01 PM
The Best Western hotel, just down the street from the Toronto Congress Centre.