PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for CC29?

LadyoftheThread
05-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Itís probably a bit early to ask but does anyone already have ideas for CC29? I wasnít able to make it to CC28 but Iím registered for next year and excited about the Broadway theme since I love musicals. :D

I see that future fashion folio submissions are open and pattern choices for the single pattern contest have been announced (http://cc29nj.com/singlepattern.aspx). Plus, Historical Masquerade rules have been posted (http://cc29nj.com/historical.aspx) with an additional category for theatrical costumes and going up to the end of 1980.

I donít think Iíll do the single pattern or historical since I have a big project I want to do for SF&F with some friends who havenít been to Costume Con before. Plus, one of the anime cons I regularly attend is the weekend before.

I do want to make something for the Broadway theme although Iím undecided on what. Although there are a lot of shows I love, it seems really hard for me to come up with a combination of a show that I love, a character that I like and could pull off, and a design that I like enough to make. Right now, Iím a bit tempted by Pollyís white dress from the Crazy for You finale (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVCFhJRh4mI) but those feathery tufts at the bottom look like they should be ostrich and would probably be way out of my budget for just a hall costume. :eeek:

What shows are the rest of you considering doing costumes from?

stardust462
05-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Plus, one of the anime cons I regularly attend is the weekend before.
Anime Boston, right? I'm kind of bummed about that because I think that may keep a lot of my friends from being able to go.

I'm definitely going. I want to at a minimum do historical, and I have a few ideas for that, and I'll probably have more now with the rules that were posted (that Theatrical Costume category looks awesome). I'd love to do SF&F again, I just need to pick something. I think I want to do something CLAMP, maybe Magic Knight Rayearth or RG Veda.

What I really want to do is a Sera Myu costume, because it kind of fits with the theme. It would be cool to get a group together for that.

Sarcasm-hime
05-17-2010, 11:46 AM
I want to do Cyd Charisse's green outfit from Singin' in the Rain (movie musical, not Broadway, but eh) and I'm sure there will be designs in the Folio I want to make. I'm also very tempted by the 30s dress in the Single Pattern as I've been watching a lot of old movies while sewing lately. :D

Twink
05-17-2010, 09:40 PM
I want to do Cyd Charisse's green outfit from Singin' in the Rain

I just love that scene, and that dress. Looking forward to seeing it.

I was very excited to hear the theme this year, I had a few Broadway costume ideas planned so this works out perfectly. I've been working on a Eliza Doolittle Ascot dress from the (film version) of My Fair Lady. Looking forward to walking into walls in my obnoxious, giant hat.

Have a few other ideas, but it's a long way between now and April....and plans always change.
This will be my first CC, so I'm still debating on whether I want to enter the Masquerade. May just hang around and observe. :D

supergeekgirl
05-17-2010, 09:52 PM
I've got to decide whether we'll have time and money for both masquerades. At the very least, you can PROBABLY expect to see our historical - Cold War: The Musical.

Berzerker_prime
05-17-2010, 11:38 PM
I have so many ideas rattling around in my brain right now, I don't know where to start. I'll have to assess my ideas and figure out which I can actually reasonably be expected to tackle. I've never actually told a story on stage and I really want to try doing it.

This, of course, assuming that I can actually make it to CC29...

RaDragon76
05-18-2010, 01:34 PM
We're debating what musical costumes to do at the moment. We really want to do something from an obscure show we like but we really haven't been able to come up with one that people haven't at least heard of. We'll probably just fall back on ones that are our favorites instead.

We do have a plan locked in for the SF-F masquerade but it's really just something for fun and not at all serious. We are also doing a little research to see if our first choice of costume for the Historical masquerade is even feasible. If there aren't enough references than we'll have to move to the next choice.

trixyloupwolf
05-18-2010, 05:58 PM
i would like to do like cats nya!!
did ya know i loooooooooove all cats nya!! ^^""

but alone is sad sad =_=''''

but its my wanted to do list nya!!

macbeemer
05-19-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm planning a Glinda bubble dress from "Wicked" at some point. I love all those costumes so much. But I'd also love to do something crazy and sparkly and over-the-top Broadway (/jazzhands), too. Maybe an historic dress in the theme of La Cage Aux Folles... I dunno! There are so many great shows to choose from.

jusdepomme
06-20-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm looking toward a flapper dress for the historical masquerade. I really like the roaring 20s so I thought it could be a great dress to make. Still don't know what to do for the Sci-Fi masquerade thought

RaDragon76
06-22-2010, 12:43 PM
I think we've finally narrowed down our entries for both the Sci-Fi and the Historical Masquerades yesterday after scrapping several ideas that we had. From the looks of things the two are entirely interchangable with a few adjustments. I can't wait to get started. :)

von Drago
06-25-2010, 02:16 PM
I have ideas, what I don't have is time.

Anybody got a good source for that :)

alpha_helix
06-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Since I couldn't make it to CC28, I've been overflowing with ideas for, like, a year or so. I think I finally have my mind made up. My idea for the historical masquerade relates to my thesis on brewing history and science. And for the sci-fi/fantasy masquerade, I was hoping to keep it a secret, but I let it slip in another thread. And my lj. And on facebook. Sooo, I'm planning on making Lady Gaga's EPIC disco ball dress. Sooooo excited to make it.

supergeekgirl
07-23-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm doing Madonna's gray suit from "Express Yourself" as a hall costume. Now I have to pick some of my old costumes to wear in the hall too.

RaDragon76
07-27-2010, 01:39 PM
We have a few new ideas for wearing in the hall and we have gotten the okay for our secondary choice for historical. We have also decided we are going to enter the Sci-Fi/Fantasy this year as well as the Future Fashion Show pending anything of interest in the Future Fashion Folio. I can't wait to get started although actual construction on things won't start until sometime in the fall. We still have a few costumes for this year to finish. And, yes, I am keeping things under wraps for now. :)

von Drago
07-27-2010, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE=RaDragon76;3566663] we have gotten the okay for our secondary choice for historical. QUOTE]

You had to have it okayed? What's up with that?

But yeah for over-achieving & trying everything!! :wave:

trixyloupwolf
07-27-2010, 08:40 PM
i wanted a groupe but iam always alone in cosplay stuff

nah its just happen my friend and i have diferent interest ^^ so its ok ^^

but if any like to team up ^^
i have great idea nya^^

this year gonna be awsome nya
i have so many idea haha^^
ill try my best =_= like i always sometime its not even enough lol
o well well see ill just enjoy haha^^

i love contest costume its awsome it has so many ^^ nya^^

i wanna enter all contest haha as many as i can fullfill hahahaha^^

RaDragon76
07-27-2010, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE=RaDragon76;3566663] we have gotten the okay for our secondary choice for historical. QUOTE]

You had to have it okayed? What's up with that?

But yeah for over-achieving & trying everything!! :wave:

Actually, it was more on the order of having Byron clarify something for us rather than having the actual costumes themselves okayed since they could have worked in several catagories anyway. I suppose I should have tried to be a little more clear there. :)

As for over-achieving and all...well you know us. We're always up for something new (Future Fashion Show) and we haven't competed in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy masquerade since CC26. At the moment we're working out a few kinks in the costumes for the SF-F and trying to work up a presentation while getting costumes ready for Archon. Then there should be plenty of time for the rest once Archon is over and things get back to normal here.

Ironhill
09-01-2010, 09:17 PM
This is the second C C I'm going to but the first time I'm compeating. Right now I'm planning a Revolunary War officers uniform for the historical. I've never done a historical before and I'm not sure what is wanted in the documatation. For the SF/F I am thinking of a Steampunk Ambassitor. I know it isn't part of the theme but it should do.

gamergirlx
09-07-2010, 09:46 PM
This is the second C C I'm going to but the first time I'm compeating. Right now I'm planning a Revolunary War officers uniform for the historical. I've never done a historical before and I'm not sure what is wanted in the documatation. For the SF/F I am thinking of a Steampunk Ambassitor. I know it isn't part of the theme but it should do.

I'm sure you already know, but information about the documentation requirements can be found on the website (Section 10:a): http://cc29nj.com/historical.aspx

I've seen people with detailed portfolios, though brief is usually best. If you have questions, email Byron (historical at cc29nj dot com). He'll be more than willing to help you out.

supergeekgirl
09-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Quick question:

Does this mean we have to compete as Masters in Historical this year?

Journeyman: The Journeyman level is an intermediate level to allow further development of costuming skills. You may not enter at the Journeyman level if, at a Costume-Con historical masquerade, you (1) have won four awards at the Journeyman level, (2) have won an award at the Master level, (3) have won Best in Show, or (4) have a costume Laurel or (5) are a historic costume professional (as defined above).

For reference, we were competing as Novices last year as it was our first CC masquerade, but we won Best in Show in the Historical Masquerade. I thought we only had to move up to Journeyman.

alpha_helix
09-19-2010, 02:05 AM
*flail of excitement*

I think I just convinced my besty to come to costume con with me and help me do something epic for the historical masquerade. Eeee! Part of me wishes it was sooner, but then all of the less fun stuff happening this year would be sooner too.

RaDragon76
09-20-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm not even going to bother posting any ideas for awhile since we keep changing our minds about things. The only things I know for sure are that we are definantly planning on attending CC, we're entering in the Doll Contest and that we are sending in several designs for the Future Fashion Folio. We also have a list of hall costumes that we want to do although that also keeps changing. We've pretty much scrapped our idea for the Historical and have decided to take the year off from it or at least we have as of this moment in time. That could change though if the right idea comes along. I believe we are still planning to enter the SciF-F but again that could change.

gamergirlx
09-21-2010, 03:53 AM
Quick question:

Does this mean we have to compete as Masters in Historical this year?

For reference, we were competing as Novices last year as it was our first CC masquerade, but we won Best in Show in the Historical Masquerade. I thought we only had to move up to Journeyman.

I got in touch with Byron and he had this to say,

I remember your work; it's master quality.

I do not want to scare off entries; however, the answer is "yes the entry that won Best in Show at CC 28 Historical must enter the CC 29 Historical in the master division." The ICG Fairness Guidelines state that an entrant who has won Best in Show in international competition may not enter the Journeyman division in subsequent international-level competitions (Worldcon, Costume-Con, and Anime North). Unfortunately, the CC 28 photos have not yet been posted on Costume-ConNections.org, so I wasn't able to look at the BiS Historical last year.

...please tell the persons asking the question that this happened to me. I was a Novice who was part of the best in Show entry at Torcon III and now must enter the Master division, so I know that doing so is not a disaster. The Master division, after all, is an open division; anyone may enter, and many do even when they are not precluded from entering a more restricted division.

And feel free to contact Byron if you still have any worries.

supergeekgirl
09-21-2010, 12:44 PM
I got in touch with Byron

Hmmm... Okay. I guess I'm just a little scared of competing as a master at CC, but I can do it if it would be more fair. I don't FEEL like I'm worthy of competing against other costumes I've seen up there.

gamergirlx
09-21-2010, 02:08 PM
It's all in good fun though, isn't it?

I've actually never competed at Journeyman either, I kinda went straight from Novice to Masters level for the cons I compete at, so just have fun with it.

supergeekgirl
10-15-2010, 10:44 AM
We realized after Archon that it may be entirely impossible to transport what we were going to enter in F&SF. It took both cars to take it to Archon, and unless I can figure out how to consolidate so that we can put it AND our other costumes in one car, it's not going. :(

Or maybe someone in the SLCG will rent a van with us. ;)

I have to finish the Hetalia stuff :burger: I promised for Bishie Con, but I'm finishing research on our historical right now (medals and ribbons and such). It feels like a late start. *sigh*

I'm not feeling as bad about Master Class now because we've now won two Best in Class awards at regional cons. I guess, at this point, I'd be an ass if I entered as a Journeyman anywhere.

Sarcasm-hime
10-15-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm trying to figure out what my plans are. Think we might have a group for the SF/F, and I'm sure I'll want to do Single Pattern and/or Folio, plus I have a Historical idea.....and won't have time for everything. :P

RaDragon76
10-16-2010, 10:38 AM
We've entered designs into the Folio this year and have had our entry for the Doll Contest already chosen months ago. We've just decided on our Historical Entry for this year and have started research on it. The costumes are not that difficult but there is a crap ton of embellishments again, some of which we haven't tried before so it should be fun. We've also tentatively decided to enter the SF-F with another set of costumes and I think we have our hall costumes mostly worked out. All that's left is to buy the necessary materials and to get started.

Ironhill
10-16-2010, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=supergeekgirl;3668981]We realized after Archon that it may be entirely impossible to transport what we were going to enter in F&SF. It took both cars to take it to Archon, and unless I can figure out how to consolidate so that we can put it AND our other costumes in one car, it's not going. :(

Or maybe someone in the SLCG will rent a van with us. ;)

At CC 27 I saw a group that rented a trailor for all their stuff. It you have a hitch on your vechile you might want to concider that.

Right now I'm waiting for the Folio to be released so I can pick what I'm gonna make.

alpha_helix
10-26-2010, 09:39 AM
I have to finish the Hetalia stuff :burger: I promised for Bishie Con, but I'm finishing research on our historical right now (medals and ribbons and such). It feels like a late start. *sigh*

Eh, I guess I'm not the only one who's having a late start :)

I do have my undergarments done already, but I can't start my dress for a few more weeks. I meant to have it started by now, but I got sidetracked when my appendix decided to turn on me, and I think the huge bolt of velvet I have weighs more than what I'm allowed to lift now.

So, my velvet is sitting in a sad, lonely corner. So sad.

Buddycat
10-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Since my costume didn't get done for Archon, now I have lots of time to trick it out the way I envisioned, rather than having to cut so many corners.

alpha_helix
02-08-2011, 12:50 AM
I hope no one minds if I resurrect this thread? It's not too late to talk about ideas, is it?

Well, I might be crazy and reconsider what I'm doing for the SF/F masquerade. As much as I love the idea of making Lady Gaga's disco ball dress, and as much as I want to make it, I don't think it would be in my best interest to use that much E6000 while it's still too cold and wet to work outside--I have really sensitive sinuses, and the last time I used the stuff the smell and icky feelings seemed to linger around for days. Plan B is a side project I've been working on; I'm pretty sure I could get it done in time, but I'm also pretty sure it'd be ore expensive.

Meh. I think I just need to work on my thesis and my (halfway done!) historical costume and try not to think about other costumes. That's soooooo hard though!

trixyloupwolf
02-08-2011, 10:43 AM
idea for what ???
costume???

von Drago
02-08-2011, 10:52 AM
It's never too late to talk about ideas!

Have at!!

alpha_helix
02-08-2011, 11:38 AM
idea for what ???
costume???

Yep!

And that last post, now I see how rambly and weird it was. Go me for thinking that it was a good idea to post late at night after reading too many microbiology research articles. Heh.

Anyway, I don't know why I was trying to be all secretive and weird and such. Plan B is Princess Zelda, and as I said before Plan A is Lady Gaga's epic disco ball dress of death and destruction. I can't make up my mind!

trixyloupwolf
02-08-2011, 10:55 PM
think transport hehe^^
compact easy for travel =_=;;;;
it always so far hehe^^

alpha_helix
02-08-2011, 11:39 PM
I was actually just thinking that the Zelda costume would be much easier to travel with. That might need to be a deciding factor, I'm probably traveling by bus or train.

trixyloupwolf
02-09-2011, 04:53 PM
hehe so i guess zelda would be more convenient ^^

for myself i come by car with 2 friend yeah!!
still need to not exagerated hehe^^
2 costumer and one photographer so yeah keep it lil package hehe^^::

i cannot wait^^

Aurora Maryte
04-17-2011, 11:03 AM
I guess this is the best place to post this...
I've never been to a CostumeCon before this year, but since it's in Hasbrouck Heights this year- which is 1 town away from my grandma's and 4 away from my house- we kinda have to go.
But as for costumes...I mean, this isn't an anime con. I'm not sure what we should be wearing. I know the response will be something along the lines of 'you can wear any costume you want, people won't care/attack you for wearing the wrong thing'. And I get that. But, what do the majority of people generally wear to this convention?
My sister was thinking of being Lightning from FFXIII or the Courtesan from AC:Brotherhood, and I was going to be Jihl from FFXIII. Do most people wear historical costumes though?

CapsuleCorp
04-17-2011, 08:08 PM
No, don't worry, there's a huge variety of costumes. It isn't just historical, or just sci-fi, it's all over the place. I've worn anime and video game costumes every time I've gone - people are interested in the costume, not where it comes from.

Granted, I like strutting my most awesome stuff. I like to bring the most visually-interesting costumes to help spark chats with other costumers who want to find out how I made them, especially stuff I haven't worn to death already. But that's just me personally. I know other costumers who would rather keep it simple and comfortable during the day and save the showy stuff for masquerade time. And others yet who go around during the day in street clothes (gasp shock). FF and AC costumes would be awesome to wear, we've worn Suikoden and even Yu-Gi-Oh costumes and no one ever looked down on us. Everyone is very welcoming and interested in what you're doing.

Aurora Maryte
04-17-2011, 08:57 PM
No, don't worry, there's a huge variety of costumes. It isn't just historical, or just sci-fi, it's all over the place. I've worn anime and video game costumes every time I've gone - people are interested in the costume, not where it comes from.

Granted, I like strutting my most awesome stuff. I like to bring the most visually-interesting costumes to help spark chats with other costumers who want to find out how I made them, especially stuff I haven't worn to death already. But that's just me personally. I know other costumers who would rather keep it simple and comfortable during the day and save the showy stuff for masquerade time. And others yet who go around during the day in street clothes (gasp shock). FF and AC costumes would be awesome to wear, we've worn Suikoden and even Yu-Gi-Oh costumes and no one ever looked down on us. Everyone is very welcoming and interested in what you're doing.

K, thanks for that, because it seemed to me like Costume Con has an older demographic than anime cons(which is good I guess seeing as I'm 24 and hate whiny teens..), so I didn't know if some of the older, professional people would see us and be thinking we were below them, or we were whiny annoying teens, or we didn't know sh** about costuming because of the source material.

It wasn't that I want to be comfortable; I agree with you about wanting to wear the best costume I can. I just...don't have much done on any of the historical, fancy schmancy costumes I'm making, thanks to school eating up my time. Didn't know if we would both look awkward if our outfits weren't historic or sci-fi based.

I'm not worried now though, so thank you!!!

Ironhill
04-18-2011, 01:01 AM
Aurora, your right that the attendants are of an older crowd but we're all young in spirit.

This is my second costumecon, my first was in Baltimore 2 years ago. There I wore my Mario costume which is mostly modified street cloths and props and won a hall costume award. The judges walk around and give awards to costumes they like. Guess I have the body of a plumber. Also, there was a panel on cosplay. They wanted to know more about it.

von Drago
04-18-2011, 12:01 PM
K, thanks for that, because it seemed to me like Costume Con has an older demographic than anime cons(which is good I guess seeing as I'm 24 and hate whiny teens..), so I didn't know if some of the older, professional people would see us and be thinking we were below them, or we were whiny annoying teens, or we didn't know sh** about costuming because of the source material.

It wasn't that I want to be comfortable; I agree with you about wanting to wear the best costume I can. I just...don't have much done on any of the historical, fancy schmancy costumes I'm making, thanks to school eating up my time. Didn't know if we would both look awkward if our outfits weren't historic or sci-fi based.

I'm not worried now though, so thank you!!!

Yeah, us old fogies are curmudgeonly like that (is that even a word? it is now!) :rolleyes:
Most of us aren't professionals but may have been doing this a long time - which is why we always love new blood!

I love Costume-con for it's variety - you get to see every kind of costuming; SF, fantasy, anime, historical, ethnic, etc., etc. Types of costuming you might never do but it's always cool to look at & learn about. And I love going every year to see my old friends & make new ones.

Ask Stacy & Trixy - we're agressively friendly.

trixyloupwolf
04-18-2011, 11:19 PM
nya!!!! friiiienndd
i miiiiss them soooo a looot
1 time in each year is far =-='''
but yeah love my costume con friend sooooooo muuuuchhh ^^
nya!!
hey 10 day left ^^ woot woot ^^

CapsuleCorp
04-19-2011, 12:10 AM
Aggressively friendly is right! XD

I wish I had a transcript of what Marty said at the Baltimore CC about trying to encourage the anime cosplayers to come to CC and mingle with the fogeys, it was brilliant. They love fresh blood and they're all secretly starting to watch anime and look at artbooks with secret plans forming about doing anime costumes. I bet they are. Just wait and see.

supergeekgirl
04-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Yeah, when I did more cosplay, I felt more comfortable wearing it at Costume-Con than the sci-fi cons I attend because at the sci-fi cons, I was an "anime kid" whereas I was another costumer with cool stuff at CC.

CC also freed me to do historical stuff more fearlessly. Other conventions seem to look down on historical costumes a bit (hell, just look at some of the threads in the historical costuming section of these forums for attitudes), and it was nice to find somewhere I could finally wear them.

trixyloupwolf
04-19-2011, 03:38 PM
i looooooove to do original costume
its so the right place yeah!!!

nya!!!

von Drago
04-19-2011, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=CapsuleCorp;3897424]They love fresh blood and they're all secretly starting to watch anime and look at artbooks with secret plans forming about doing anime costumes. I bet they are. QUOTE]

Or those of us who aren't secretly watching anything - we've been watching anime since back when it was called "japanimation".:p

Aurora Maryte
04-19-2011, 07:11 PM
:) I feel super happy and confident to be going now.
Oh one more question...they don't list the hours on the website(in fact they don't list much at all), so what time does the convention start and end each day?
(I'm confused by the 'membership fees' too actually. It says at door $100. But then it says $25 for a 'supporting membership' and if I download the PDF then it says $55. I get the discounts for children and students, I just don't get all these other numbers they're throwing out at me).

trixyloupwolf
04-20-2011, 12:00 AM
i says its a secret con and they like to keep all to themself hahahaha

it will be my third year and we want info we have to tear them apart to get any nya hahahha
and iam dead serious ^^::::

but ya nothing more will ever be on they webpage saddly haha!! ive learn that =-=''''

but it is sooooooooooo worth it
i loooooove that convention(last year was not my fav of the 2 ive gone to but o well )

i love all the competition and the doll and the all haha!!!

start houur i saw its wen they wake up if they do (nah kidding)
around 8 to 10 am (they give programation sheet at the registration^^
and end around 5 or 6 pm
but maskerade are at night after lunch yeah theyr genious they have nothing wen it lunch time so we do not run or forget to eat ^^ yeah genious people ^^

price ^^ as i could learn and see ^^
at door 100$
member 25 : its for if ya want to donate and receive the material stuff ^^

well basiquely anyway all need to know its at door price
or pre reg price ^^(hint if you go to other buy 2 year in advance hehe^^ a loooot cheaper nya like half price ALMOST ^^

friendly
trixy nya!!

Ironhill
04-20-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm not sure on the hours, I'm hoping they post the schedule so I can print it out. What I recall from 2 years ago the programing started around 9 or 10 and went until the masquades around 8 (?), then there were parties into the night. I expect this con to be the same.

As for membership, the at door full con price is $100. If you just want to go for 1 day it is $55.

The way the con chooses the location for future cons is the members who attend will vote on the location. (We will be voting for the 2014 convention site at this con.) The group that is promoting a location will have parties, make flyers, go to other con, etc, to let everybody know of the plan to host the con. In order to pay for this they sell supporting memberships. If they win the vote everyone who bought a supporting membership will get a discount on full memberships to the con. If they don't win your out the money (sorry). This is the way the big cons (Worldcon and NASFiC) work.

supergeekgirl
04-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Speaking of parties, SOMEONE PLEASE BRING APPLES TO APPLES AGAIN!!!! That is all.

stardust462
04-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Speaking of parties, SOMEONE PLEASE BRING APPLES TO APPLES AGAIN!!!! That is all.

I'll try to remember to bring mine. I have an expansion pack too.

gamergirlx
04-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Programming schedule is on the website for download (http://cc29nj.com/forms/CC29_Programming_Sched.xlsx). And you can pre-reg for the fantasy/sci-fi Masq (http://cc29nj.com/fsfmasq.aspx). As for other updates, I haven't received any to post.

Aurora Maryte
04-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Whoa...everything ends so early... and starts so early. o.O I'm not usually even awake until 10 or 11. Damn..
Oh well, I'm going to miss a lot of the stuff I'm interested in, but whatev.
Thank you so much for posting the schedule! Now we can figure out what days we are going to the convention. :D

Gravely
04-23-2011, 04:12 AM
Secrets, well, when I was co chair of 27, I was on here almost every day to answer questions, and let folks know whats up.

and last year and this, I know Nora and others tried to do that as well, even tho it wasnt thier job , just trying to help.

for NEXT year, in Phoenix, I have been made head of programming, and named the official 'Voice to Cosplay.com"
so we will try very hard to get all the info up here.

As for costume con liking cosplayers,
for 27, the reason our numbers popped so big ( largest ever non california cc) was 100% because of the efforts to get the word out to anime cons and the cosplayers.
And it seemd to me, that they won many many awards.
costuming is costuming, skills are skills

gamergirlx
04-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Unfortunately this year, a major event in NYC is occurring for cosplayers. Sakura Matsuri in the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens is the same weekend as CC29 (next weekend). There's a lot of activities to engage in and many cosplayers have already committed to that event already (vending or participating in the many events). So they are unable to come to CC29 this year.

Aurora Maryte
04-23-2011, 03:16 PM
I don't see why they can't split their time and do a day of each.. That's what we plan on doing. I guess it's hard for anyone in high school though- they can't attend Friday or Monday because the events end before they'd even be able to get in costume and make it over to the con, and well, Sakura Matsuri is on both days of the weekend. But idk, they could make it work. I think a lot of them don't really even know CostumeCon is going on though...all the cosplay friends I have and talked to had no idea- I thought at least a few would know.

gamergirlx
04-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Actually, most of the cosplayers I know do know. They just aren't going to pay $55 to attend for a day when they can go to most conventions and pay that for the entire weekend. Or get their badges comped because they do panels or judging.

Also with AnimeBoston just this weekend, many aren't going for the 2 cons in 2 weekends rush.

Gravely
04-25-2011, 12:59 AM
costume con is a national event.
if folks want to go to a genre specific event in any city the same weekend, cant fault them for that, but there ARE cosplay folks coming from other states and countries for cc.
It just needs to be promoted properly, and the folks that want what cc has to offer will go, and others will not

no harm no foul

von Drago
04-25-2011, 10:39 AM
costume con is a national event.
if folks want to go to a genre specific event in any city the same weekend, cant fault them for that, but there ARE cosplay folks coming from other states and countries for cc.

We get a few more every year, don't we? :)
There's always a couple who get hooked into the different experience of costume-con & make it their destination con.

And we LOVE that!

supergeekgirl
04-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Sooooooo... how much does the Sakura Matsuri cost for a day? We're going up to NYC on Saturday, and it might be fun to attend for a couple of hours.

von Drago
04-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Anyone interested in Miniature Golf on Monday afternoon? There's a place close by that bills itself as a "mining adventure" about 20 minutes away.

trixyloupwolf
04-25-2011, 12:56 PM
iam in for mini golf ^^
like last year bowling team was so much fuuuunnnn^^

gamergirlx
04-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Sooooooo... how much does the Sakura Matsuri cost for a day? We're going up to NYC on Saturday, and it might be fun to attend for a couple of hours.
Sakura Matsuri at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden: http://www.bbg.org/visit/event/sakura_matsuri_2011/

Adults $15
Seniors (65 and over) $10
Students 12+ with valid ID $10
Children under 12 Free
BBG Members Free

Gravely
04-27-2011, 01:40 AM
Nora,
you are 100% right, as a group, we seem to be expanding our reach into the anime/cosplay group each year, and
i think it will keep growing

Buddycat
05-11-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing how many Canadian Cosplayers show up in Toronto!

trixyloupwolf
05-12-2011, 05:40 PM
toronto will be the bigger one lol!!!
we caN STILL DREAM NYAHAHA
will be bringing more people nyahahha cause its close by right ^^ hehe^^

Gravely
05-13-2011, 01:45 PM
buddycat,

the talent is there for sure. it will be all about the cash. I hope the lack of travel will really make the difference for them.

At Anime North, at any one moment, there are over 3,000 people in costume,and over the weekend, my guess is that 5,000 have been dressed up somehow. gotta hope that 10% make it.

I only say 10% because of the many different things they all look to get out of thier costuming. CC wont appeal to all of them.

von Drago
05-13-2011, 03:08 PM
I only say 10% because of the many different things they all look to get out of thier costuming. CC wont appeal to all of them.

But 10% would be massive! I'd love to see that!