PDA

View Full Version : Masquerade feedback!

Michela
09-14-2003, 05:28 PM
I was thinking of the Shoujocon masquerade and became curious... we all know what the judges thought, but what were your favorite skits? Did you have any favorite costumes? What did you think the performers or staff could have done to improve the event?

As for me, my favorite routines were Anime Idol and the Evangelion skit (the Evangelion skit holds a special place in my heart, as I am a huge fan of Shinji and Kaworu's relationship and appreciated how that group dealt with it on stage... plus, when I gushed to them about how much I loved it, they were all very friendly to me. ^_~) I enjoyed the vast majority of the skits (which almost never happens because I am both a writer and a critic when I'm not cosplaying. :p ) Unfortunately, I couldn't enjoy Aeva's skit to its full potential because I had never read Paradise Kiss before then... (I should have, as your costumes rocked, Aeva-chawan! ^_^) plus, I only saw their rehearsal, as Jen and I had to leave early, most unfortunately. I loved the Gravitation Kumagoro battle, too. XD

I must also thank the staff for making the event so organized and personalized... I had never experienced that sort of treatment before, so I'm very happy I could have attended Shoujocon.

Tenjou
09-14-2003, 07:30 PM
I loved all the skits *_*

My favorites were probably your Angel Sanctuary skit, Michaela! =D and the Eva skit, 'cause I love Grease/anime crossovers XD I really liked the fanboy skit, and I thought the matrix moogle was very cute. ^_^

I don't think they could've improved it at all! It was run really well! The only actual problem was one of the microphones being hard to hear, but my mom and I were about 15 rows back or so and could hear the faulty microphone okay.

Michela
09-14-2003, 08:43 PM
My favorites were probably your Angel Sanctuary skit, Michaela! =D

Awwwww, thank you so much! ::: Dies of happiness::: I really hope we did well, as both Jen and I worked so hard to simply get the act on stage :::Spent two hours between rehearsal and the masq attempting to fix her wings with a couple of used forks and an old colored pencil::: (I am *so* MacGyver when it comes to wing repair ^_^;; )

and the Eva skit, 'cause I love Grease/anime crossovers XD

That skit made me SO happy... I actually came home after Shoujocon and immediately turned on the TV, only to see Grease... I then giggled for about ten full minutes XD

I really liked the fanboy skit, and I thought the matrix moogle was very cute. ^_^

I've actually been in a situation or two similar to the one described in the fanboy skit (surprisingly enough, I'm sure :::kowai::: ) The Matrix moogle and I, both before and during the competition, had a long conversation about how much we love wings... it rocked. ^^

aeva
09-14-2003, 09:29 PM
I am quite partial to the Angel Sanctuary skit.

Erm.. I am like, forgetting everything. x.@! Anime Idol was just so well-planned, and they most definately deserved first place. I talked to the guy playing... oh god, I've never seen Animerican Idol.... the guy who was always crossplaying Dejiko. He is arguably the sweetest person I have ever met. God. I could not have been happier his group won- I just wanted to give him a hug every time I saw him! ...I nearly did! XD XD

As for me, my favorite routines were Anime Idol and the Evangelion skit
I thought the Eva skit was really great and a good idea, but I don't think they rehearsed enough. My constructive critisism: the chorgeography looked a bit shaky... the cosplayers seemed to be unsure of what they were doing, and the movements weren't sharp at all. However, I think it would ahve been great if they had an extra rehearsal or two- I'm sure they were also very nervous!! The Shinji and Kawaoru were FANTASTIC; they just got so into the performance. Three cheers!

I also thought the fanboy skit was hysterical... and Ranma/Adam is just marbelous. <3

I had a major problem with one aspect of the Masquerade, however- costuming was only 10% of the score. Arggg. That really irritated me. >.> I think the Masquerade is a combined effort of putting on a good show with an amazing costume to compliment it. A poorly done costume can really drag down both the audience's and the judge's opinion of a skit. I sincerely think costuming should have been weighted more.... many cosplayers ::coughMICHELAcough:: had spectacular, breathtaking costumes. Yarrr! :3

Unfortunately, I couldn't enjoy Aeva's skit to its full potential because I had never read Paradise Kiss before then... (I should have, as your costumes rocked, Aeva-chawan! ^_^)

God, no one's read Paradise Kiss- I'm not offended. Calm down, luff. ::ruffles hair::
And thanks, by the way. :3 Of course, you got to see some of the erm... [i]construction of my costume. God, that was so embarassing. XD

I'm not biased, of course not.... ::shifty eyes:: >.> <.<

Michela
09-15-2003, 12:08 AM
Anime Idol was just so well-planned, and they most definately deserved first place. I talked to the guy playing... oh god, I've never seen Animerican Idol.... the guy who was always crossplaying Dejiko. He is arguably the sweetest person I have ever met. God. I could not have been happier his group won- I just wanted to give him a hug every time I saw him!
Oh mahgaw, I loved that guy. ^_^ I talked to him (his name is Scott :)) and Darcy before the masquerade, (mostly on the subject of how much we love Tenshi ni Narumon) and they were so wonderful and friendly! BTW, the man he played was Simon... I've only seen American Idol once or twice, but one really doesn't forget a person like that. >.< His Deijiko costume was SO adorable... I wanted to latch onto his skirts, they were so fluffy! I'm glad they won first prize, too (if they didn't, I would have been quite upset.) It was such a great thing to hear, "dog." :::cackles:::

I thought the Eva skit was really great and a good idea, but I don't think they rehearsed enough. My constructive critisism: the chorgeography looked a bit shaky...

I actually thought they were better at rehearsal... methinks the excitement of it all made them a bit nervous ;_;

The Shinji and Kawaoru were FANTASTIC; they just got so into the performance. Three cheers!

Exactly! I giggle *so much* whenever I think of them onstage XD

I also thought the fanboy skit was hysterical... and Ranma/Adam is just marbelous. <3

Unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to meet him (I wanted to thank him for the Otaku's Guide to Westchester thread, which helped me have a safe return to Manhattan.)

I had a major problem with one aspect of the Masquerade, however- costuming was only 10% of the score. Arggg. That really irritated me.

:::Shakes, looking as if she hasn't slept for days::: I KNOW. I pointed this out to the masquerade director on the thread she started... (thank you, Rachel Ann, for letting me provide my feedback!) Though I agree the costume itself isn't everything when dealing with a stage performance, if someone spent a huge amount of time on a costume in order to make it look appropriate, that person deserves to be recognized, if only a small amount. :::whispers "craftsmanship award":::

A poorly done costume can really drag down both the audience's and the judge's opinion of a skit.

I most definitely agree... it irks me a bit if entrants who don't even wear costumes or are wearing something completely storebought win cosplay contests -_-

God, no one's read Paradise Kiss

Ah, but at least two of my friends who live in my town have, and, of course, I gushed about your group's costumes to them ^_^

Of course, you got to see some of the erm... construction of my costume. God, that was so embarassing. XD

Tehehehehehehe, as you may have noticed, I was a bit too busy MacGyvering the makeshift brace on my wings to pay attention to that

On a final and somewhat random note: Michela is biased when it comes to Angel Sanctuary. If she sees a good AS cosplayer, she might as well scream, "Here, have a trophy!!!" XD

Tenjou
09-15-2003, 02:51 PM
You're welcome, Michela! =D Too bad I didn't meet you though ;-; I wanted to see your wings up close (my mom took the two pictures of you in my gallery). Maybe next year or something =D

LOL!! I saw Grease the other day, and it was the dance scene, and I just started laughing XD

And I almost forgot! The Harry Potter skit rocked!

TheAnarCHris
09-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Nervous my ass we just sucked! Hehehe

No actually we were definetly not well prepared enuff for that skit....well anyone non-Shiniji or Karou, but their were a number with this skit, so we did the best we could do and well,...yeah....we got what we deserved and what have you not. I'm just glad that ppl enjoyed the first skit I was in and not involved with the plot at all ^__^.

Mich, despite the fact that I had no clue what was going on in ur AS skit (I'll read the manga as soon as it's translated i promise) ur costumes rocked.

I really hate to choose faves, considering there were a lot of good skits at SJC this and a lot of my friends were up there, but I have to go with the Amercian Idol on, simply that they managed to splice Nadesico/Excel Saga and Detective Conan all into one big skit.

But hey, we took the best group skit at BaaF, so I'm thrilled with that.

aeva
09-15-2003, 03:57 PM
(mostly on the subject of how much we love Tenshi ni Narumon)
YESH!!! Cutest series alive. *__* One could use the cuteness as amunition.

nd I almost forgot! The Harry Potter skit rocked!
It SO did. Very creative, and quite hysterical. ...though I HATE harryxDraco passionately. [See my Devianation: http://www.deviantart.com/view/1790998/]

But hey, we took the best group skit at BaaF, so I'm thrilled with that.
Congrats! ^^

:::whispers "craftsmanship award":::
They had several craftsmanship awards last year- I wonder why they skipped out on them this year. o.o;;;

No actually we were definetly not well prepared enuff for that skit....well anyone non-Shiniji or Karou, but their were a number with this skit, so we did the best we could do and well,...yeah....we got what we deserved and what have you not. I'm just glad that ppl enjoyed the first skit I was in and not involved with the plot at all ^__^.

I still think it was great. ^^

Ranma Saotome
09-23-2003, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the compliment! The SAFS skit was a quick throw together! :D

Tweener
09-25-2003, 11:34 AM
Hi-hi, guys!

Many, MANY thanks for the feedback you've been giving me! Like I mentioned somewhere else, I may not be coming back to Staff at Shoujocon, but regardless, I'll make sure Angela (Shoujocon's 2004 Con Chair) hears some of this feedback.

As to the weighting of the score: I think you're right. My own opinion is that past cosplays have been weighted too heavily on the costome and nowhere near enough on the performance. But I cut the costume consideration down too much. I think doubling the weighting to 20% is more appropriate.

As to the missing craftsmanship award: It wasn't missing... it was unknown! I received nothing from the 2002 cosplay person, so I had to create everything from scratch. Understand, my experience is limited to watching the Otakon Cosplay and working as backstage manager at Otakon 2000 cosplay. I knew what I could and could not do. The best way to start something is to not bite off more than you can chew. That's why this year's cosplay was more basic. I have plans to add a couple more items to the Shoujocon 2004 cosplay that BUILDS on what was accomplished this year.

As to using a digital camera instead of a polaroid for HFC: You couldn't be more right! *ugh* I suggested - even recommended getting two digital cameras instead of five polaroids, but was instructed to get the polaroids. One BIG advantage the polaroids have is ease of use and posting. With a digital you require a PC and printer, which requires more planning and time. Still, the quality difference is enough that I'll suggest it again for next year. (Again, regardless of whether I come back or not.)

Thanks again for all the feedback! *HUGS!* to everyone!

TTFN!
Rachel Ann

Ranma Saotome
09-25-2003, 02:33 PM
Hi!!!!!!!! *waves*

Carrot Glace
09-28-2003, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the compliment! The SAFS skit was a quick throw together! :D

I almost wasn't part of it. Maybe it was that playing a 'fanboy' seemed a bit humiliating for me. But in the end, it thought "screw it, it's just for fun".

Kurthy133
10-05-2003, 12:18 AM
i couldn't have been more happy with Carrot as my fanboy and Adam and Studmaster protecting me ^^ i had the coolest guys ever to work with - even when it was thrown together!! ^^;;

Ranma Saotome
10-05-2003, 11:29 PM
I've always been told that the best skits are usually thrown together at the last minute. ^_^;;;;

Michela
10-05-2003, 11:44 PM
I would have to respectfully disagree about that... the funniest skits are known to be thrown together, but my personal favorites are always the ones that have been maticulously planned (I just have a fetish for organization, don't I? XD)

Ranma Saotome
10-05-2003, 11:52 PM
It's okay because you're also right about that.

It's all how you look at it. :)

And I did planned skit this weekend at Anime NEXT and won best in show.

Michela
10-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Yay! Congratulations! I was just talking to Jen/Mad Hatter/Paine, and she says you were great! (She also says you must cosplay Dios XD)

Ranma Saotome
10-06-2003, 09:33 PM
Tell her that Mikki comes first. :p

Michela
10-07-2003, 06:39 PM
Tehehehe, I guarantee you she'll still bug you to no end about being Dios, though (because she just rules like that and insists that you would make the best Dios... and I'm inclined to agree. ^^)

Ranma Saotome
10-07-2003, 07:58 PM
She's gonna have to tie me down and force me... Not that I don't mind that...

Michela
10-08-2003, 09:19 PM
XDXD That would make SUCH a great photoshoot :::Cackles:::

Ranma Saotome
10-08-2003, 11:37 PM
^^;;; How thoughtful...

ki kuru kitty
11-13-2003, 08:13 PM
I thought the Eva skit was really great and a good idea, but I don't think they rehearsed enough. My constructive critisism: the chorgeography looked a bit shaky... the cosplayers seemed to be unsure of what they were doing, and the movements weren't sharp at all. However, I think it would ahve been great if they had an extra rehearsal or two- I'm sure they were also very nervous!! The Shinji and Kawaoru were FANTASTIC; they just got so into the performance. Three cheers!

O_O Um.. not to be drastic, but me and Anna been rehersing that skit for over a month. The thing is we had to teach other people how to dance and make it simple but sweet. Also CHRIS! As smart as he was didn't want to dance with his girlfriend but dance with Asuka cause he thinks it's more appropriate, but THEY WERE BOTH LEFT HANDED AND CAN DANCE TOGETHER! but yeah, that wasn't easy.