PDA

View Full Version : Are you a victim of cellulite?. Do you hate seeing it?

PockyMonsta
05-25-2010, 12:24 PM
So i have fallen victim to the ugly cottage cheese skin AKA cellulite. Im 18 and actually quite fit, not skinny but not fat. Unfortually i have alot of cellulite on my legs and i mean ALOT.

I sometimes cosplay characters which are a bit revealing though now i have fallen victim to cellulite i dont exactly want to clear out the short high school cosplays all together. I personally have enough confidence in myself to go out and wear a short or revealing cosplay to a convention. Though i want to know what is the veiw on seeing girls in short/revealing cosplays that have cellulite? Do people look down on you? Are you classed as unattractive and so on?

I know their is the panty hose to cover up some of the cellulite. Though it doesnt do all of its justice for me =[.

So any tips or suggestions on how to cover up cellulite? and what are your thoughts of seeing it? Are you a victim as well? If so please tell how you cope with it ^^

Lithium Flower
05-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Most people above the age of 16 DO have some amount of cellulite, though I've been told that tanning can reduce the appearance of it.

When I was a teenage I was about 30lbs heavier and since loosing the weight I've noticed the cellulite marks as well as stretch lines on my hips.I was a size 16/18 I am now an 8/10. Though I don't trust the 'miracle creams' sold at drug stores that claim to erase cellulite ENTIRELY.

I've resigned to simply making shorts and skirts longer for characters I want to try, though any ideas would help too.

Also, should this be moved to the Makeup forum?

Flora88
05-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Cellulite is an odd thing.
You can be model-thin and have cellulite (I've seen it quite often.) Usually, it appears in people who have been naturally thin most of their lives, but who haven't done any strenuous sports-related activities throughout their lives, or in people who have been overweight, then lost quite a bit of weight. Is it essentially lumpy fat held just beneath the skin.
A great deal of it is genetic, though, and you can only do so much to stop it.

But here are a few things that can only help.

1. Drink LOTS of water. We're talking two liters a day. (But this is a good thing. You'll feel better. :))
2. Stay away from sodium. Always check sodium content in anything.
3. Excercise.

If you want, you can use a cellulite cream or "firming" lotion. I recommend Soap and Glory's cream ($12 at Target.)

And don't feel bad or anything. 98% of women have cellulite, including celebrities and models, who are often photoshopped.

Mangochutney
05-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Nearly every woman, and some men, have cellulite. By "nearly every" I don't mean 60% or even 80%; I mean that ninety-five or more out of every hundred women you see every day. There is no medically effective way to eliminate it or smooth it, and don't think people haven't been looking. Home remedies and expensive salon products alike will swear up and down that they work: they don't. There is nothing that will re-arrange the placement of the fat cells that make up cellulite. Get a nice early start on accepting it as a fact of life.

If you're bothered by it, wear hose or tights. Nobody else will be paying as much attention to it as you are.

PockyMonsta
05-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks everyone. I was just worried that some people may be digusted by the matter. I understand thats there is barely anything i can do about it and ill just have to live with it. Was just concerned if other people seeing me cosplay would actually have a problem witnessing it ><!~

Mangochutney
05-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Focus instead on your own confidence and well-being. You do not have a duty to please everyone who happens to see your legs. You are not a decoration.

PockyMonsta
05-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the confidence boost Mangochutney ^^. Im no longer afraid to do my dream cosplays =]

char99char
05-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Rock it and wear the short skirts like you mean it!

I am a bit older - and my legs are a little heavier than I would like - but I got nothing but grins running around Vegas on Halloween. I even had one woman compliment me and said she could never pull it off - and she was about as petite as could be. It's all about the attitude. Enjoy!

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2561748/

Satine
05-26-2010, 06:04 AM
Remember ads and women's mags and "entertainment" shows only sell when they instill fear about the natural and normal ;) There are some right dingers on at the moment prying on social anxiety to do with perspiration* and other body normalty.

As MangoChutney says it's a universal thing. And if people are disgusted by it they really need to pull head from where the sun does not shine!

*Especially great when the "stats" they use are about how many people are worried about an issue and not those who actually have the issue...

nyokun
05-26-2010, 03:30 PM
I find that wearing two pairs of panty hose helps to to smooth out everything.

T'Orlyn
05-26-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm 10 lbs underweight and even I have cellulite on my upper thighs.
Working out doesn't necessarily help all that much because I run regularly and I still have it.
The models who you see who don't have an ounce of it are often photoshopped.

In short, don't worry about it.

I mean, no offense to anyone but it's not attractive to see significantly overweight women in very very small and revealing costumes (I have seen a chick who must have weighed 350lbs dressed as Yoko from TTGL before) but cellulite is something we all have a bit of and isn't an issue.

jai
05-26-2010, 10:46 PM
I honestly don't think people will even see it.

I just wear tights myself.

karinka Chick
05-28-2010, 01:03 AM
i just posted something about this they make patchs and a cream that help to eat away cellulite, i use them all the time before i go on vacation of so a more revealing cotume, i dont know exactly how it works it tells you in the box lol...but yea http://www.amazon.com/Nivea-Good-Bye-Cellulite-Continuous-Cosmetic/dp/B000O3SSGQ they are sooooo great

Transmute Jun
06-06-2010, 08:44 PM
I have quite a short skirt on one of my costumes and that area of my thighs is quite visible. I find that dancer's flesh-colored tights hide quite a lot, and they are very acceptable as part of a Con costume. You can even buy kinds that 'compress' a bit, if you think that would help.

fujyoshi
06-07-2010, 07:12 AM
that must be why my butt is all dimply >:

anyway dunno if this'll work but I saw it on the doctor oz show and it had atleast a slight stamp of approval. Take brown sugar, coffee grinds, and olive oil and mix together then rub it on the areas in a circular motion.

YukinaKipling
06-07-2010, 11:59 AM
It's normal to have some. Don't worry about what others think, you're going to dress in an amazing cosplay, that is what will count.

onewingedjade
06-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Heh, everyone has it. I noticed I have a bit. And well, I put my ass in spandex.

I agree with what everyone else says - get some natural looking tights if you feel self conscious and go for it.

supergeekgirl
06-07-2010, 12:26 PM
I wear flesh-colored tights, and people remark on how perfect my legs are at cons. I've fooled them all! :crylaugh:

Seriously, I really do think everyone has it. I'm not a big woman. I'm curvy with large thighs, but I wouldn't consider myself plus-sized. Wearing tights gives me confidence to wear short skirts and short shorts. Tights can make pretty much anyone's legs look nice. Control top tights can even do double duty to thin out your hips and the curve of your lower abdomen. Sometimes I wear them for crossplay.

onewingedjade
06-07-2010, 12:34 PM
I wear flesh-colored tights, and people remark on how perfect my legs are at cons. I've fooled them all! :crylaugh:

Haha, I have to comment again because once I've gotten to know people better and remarked something like 'you have perfect ___!' they'll end up telling me some complex secret as to how they achieved the perfection. There's so many tricks out there, I had no clue.

moogles1989
06-07-2010, 01:12 PM
well i dont have any onmy thighs or butt......no one ever believes me cus they see me then see my weight and automatically assume i have cottage cheese thighs and i dont.....so i guess i luckes out cus i have pretty firm legs and butt....

PockyMonsta
06-09-2010, 11:11 AM
well i dont have any onmy thighs or butt......no one ever believes me cus they see me then see my weight and automatically assume i have cottage cheese thighs and i dont.....so i guess i luckes out cus i have pretty firm legs and butt....

Your lucky you have such a firm but!!~ >< dont worry iv seen big women and they literally have none so your not the only one ^^. I found tights take away most of the little dimples but not the big ones for me /sigh. Though it guess its all about being a woman ^^. Thank you everyone for your comments and what you think about it =]

Vamp-Elanor
06-09-2010, 02:57 PM
This is of great help to make you feel better about it! :) I had the exact same question, I'm currently working on a *quite revealing* costume (Angela from Seiken Densetsu III) and I'm still pondering about wearing tights or not. I'm short (5'2'') and not really fit, but not fat either (125 lb) so I'll continue thinking about it, but this is good advice and makes me feel better :D

Airst
07-14-2010, 09:12 AM
I have a similar problem. I'm fairly tall (6'5)
So I have stretchmarks down my knees/arms from really rapid growth spurts. I Also lost mass from this and therefore look like a frickin tiger has attacked me (covered in large scars across my lower abdomen/back.)

I'm usually self conscious about it and no matter how much time I spend at the gym every night it will never really improve much.
I still do shirtless/open shirt costumes but I tend to be very picky/conservative on how much skin I'm revealing so I don't leave my comfort zone.

~Angelspit~
07-19-2010, 05:34 PM
I have a similar problem. I'm fairly tall (6'5)
So I have stretchmarks down my knees/arms from really rapid growth spurts. I Also lost mass from this and therefore look like a frickin tiger has attacked me (covered in large scars across my lower abdomen/back.)

I'm usually self conscious about it and no matter how much time I spend at the gym every night it will never really improve much.
I still do shirtless/open shirt costumes but I tend to be very picky/conservative on how much skin I'm revealing so I don't leave my comfort zone.

Though I'm not as tall I went from 5' to 5'11" in about a year and a half so I had the same problem. It's really just about changing the colour of skin in the stretched area, I tried this product called bio oil and I actually worked I can bearly notice it. Though it dosen't make them vanish, it takes it to the point where you would have to really look for them to notice.

Cart-RAT
07-20-2010, 12:10 AM
i just posted something about this they make patchs and a cream that help to eat away cellulite, i use them all the time before i go on vacation of so a more revealing cotume, i dont know exactly how it works it tells you in the box lol...but yea http://www.amazon.com/Nivea-Good-Bye-Cellulite-Continuous-Cosmetic/dp/B000O3SSGQ they are sooooo great

i used the same product except i used the firming lotion and gel before my star fighter cosplay at expo (can be attained at any nearby wally world, target, cvs, etc.). though it didn't completely take it away, the cellulite was reduced greatly; i also worked out every day so exercise helps as well. but like people said, everyone has it and nobody notices. :toothy:

distantarray
07-20-2010, 12:48 AM
Only real cure is to become super fit, uneven fat deposits are less noticeable when there's less fat period. Less fat + tighter skin = less cellulite.

Cellulite can be through bad lifestyle but is mostly by genetics, so you can either accept it or work your ass off literally to minimize it.

fadedsunrise02
07-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Actually no ^_^;;; (entirely genetic)

But the opposite problem of storing most of your fat around your middle/back, which I have, is probably both worse looking and less healthy(according like, any medical professional you can ask).

I only gained weight on my legs when I was really down, depressed, and super binging my freshman year, and near the end of the semester. Then it was the first thing I lost when I started losing. I guess running all through my teenage years helped.

PokiethePumpkin
07-20-2010, 11:48 PM
I've always been petite. I'm 5'1'' and weigh between 90 and 95lbs. Despite this, I still have a little cellulite. xD I have to agree with everyone that has said exercise and tanning can improve the appearance. As others have said, sometimes it's just your genetics.

I honestly don't care if people have cellulite. Nearly everyone has it, yet hardly anyone notices it. If you feel a little uncomfortable, sure, go with some flesh toned tights! What's important is that you're having fun and enjoying your costume that you put a lot of effort into. :D

distantarray
07-22-2010, 01:05 AM
I've always been petite. I'm 5'1'' and weigh between 90 and 95lbs. Despite this, I still have a little cellulite. xD I have to agree with everyone that has said exercise and tanning can improve the appearance. As others have said, sometimes it's just your genetics.

I honestly don't care if people have cellulite. Nearly everyone has it, yet hardly anyone notices it. If you feel a little uncomfortable, sure, go with some flesh toned tights! What's important is that you're having fun and enjoying your costume that you put a lot of effort into. :D

hardly anyone notices it cause thank god with the average overweight population that super skimpy styles of the 80's have gone and passed for the most part.... Besides girls in tight jean shorts i don't think you really get a chance to really see it too often besides maybe the beach.