PDA

View Full Version : Losing Weight Before a Con: Emergency Tips

Jinglebrarian
05-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Hi guys!

There have been several threads discussing losing weight in cosplay, cosplay as a motivator for losing weight, cosfluff, and how annoying being heavier (or lighter!) than we want to be is in regards to our favorite hobby. This thread is not like the others; it's going to be a tip database. I am not a doctor, and tips here are meant to be taken in moderation and with consideration; they work like a charm, but don't push yourself excessively just to lose a bit before a con, okay? I'd rather you know how to do it safely than starve yourself. This was going to be written for a friend, but I thought I would share it with you guys, too!

It's a collection of tips regarding APPEARING SLIMMER (not losing weight, but giving the illusion thereof) and ACTUALLY LOSING WEIGHT (don't push yourself too hard on this one, it's much healthier to take a slow approach to a healthier lifestyle if weight loss is your goal). I looked through prior threads with the keyword "weight" and saw a few, but none that were directly on this topic. This is specifically tips on how to shed a pound or two before the convention; please ask relevant questions or suggest a tip to be as on-topic as possible [as opposed to just discussing cosplay's motivation for weight loss, etc].

-Jingles
It's the week before a big convention. You're debuting your new costume, and you're so excited! But you'd like to shear off the extra few pounds that snuck in somewhere along the sleepless nights at your sewing machine, VHS copy of Yu Yu Hakusho blaring in the background and sewing tools everywhere. You want to show off your costume and get as in-character as possible - so how can you do it, reasonably, while staying healthy and not hurting yourself by neglecting to eat?

:confused: The question: How can I lose a little bit of weight/appear slimmer for a convention if I don't have much time?

The suggestions:

1.) Drink water. If you don't drink enough water, your body will retain it. A normally slender arm will be subtly bloated - your belly will pooch more than it should. Why is this? It's because your body is trying to keep itself alive. It wants to make sure it has the H20 inside to keep everything regulated and working properly. We as a society do not drink enough water at all; we drink soda pop, tea, frappucinos, etc. These may be liquid, but they aren't water! Your body can't be tricked. It gleans what water it can from the sugary things we tend to prefer to drink and holds onto it like a greedy kid. If your body had a thought process, it would say, "I don't know when I'll get any fresh water, so I've got to hold onto what I have!" Your body swells up as a result. So, drink plenty of water. Some doctors suggest 2 litres a day. It sounds like a lot, and, heck, it is, but it filters cleanly through your system and in the tail end of a week you'll see results. You will visibly look slimmer (your body is starting to trust you, and believe that you won't parch it of pure water anymore; so it's letting the water filter out of your system less reluctantly), you will feel cleaner, and you will weigh less. Bonus? Your skin might clear up a bit if you have acne.

In a nutshell - H20 POWER! :drink:

2.) Don't drink your calories. You don't need to. I mean, with all the water you're intaking as of Tip 1, you're not going to be thirsty. Plus, you wouldn't believe how much fat Americans intake from non-water beverages daily! So put down your soda pop, at least for the week before the convention if weight-loss is your goal.

3.) Do crunches twice a day. This is really effective for me; I do proper crunches the week before the convention. Twenty in the morning when I wake up, before I even bother to roll out of bed, and twenty before bed - whereupon completing I collapse in a happy heap and nod off. I now do sixty crunches in the morning and evening, but twenty will see a subtle but pleasing difference in the tightness of your belly in just a week. :jjacks:

3.5) Keep in mind that cardio exercises are the true path to victory when it comes to slimming your tummy. If you're able to fit that in between all of the costuming you're doing before a convention, do it! It is great for sleek long-term results. Crunches are a quicker and less time-invasive exercise, which is why I suggest them.

4.) Avoid snacking on too much salt. Salt likes to make you appear bloaty, even if you aren't actually gaining weight. Instead of the Pringles, just nom on something less salty that you like. Unsalted nuts are good because they have protein, so they'll stick with you. :burger:

5.) Rest properly. A deficiency in sleep impairs your body's ability to work on getting rid of fat.

6.) Improve your posture. Simply standing differently accentuates your figure, male OR female, and gives you an aura of Tip 8, which is critical. Practice this: Stand up straight, and pretend there is a delicate little fishing line being gently pulled from the top of your head, coaxing your spine straight without it being uncomfortable. Now, tilt your pelvis by curling your tailbone in towards the front of your body (kind of like a half-done pelvic thrust! ^^). Your belly will sink in naturally without looking forced or "skinned-in". Lastly, you can tip your shoulders back a fraction of an inch. Check out the difference in a mirror - holy guacamole! :dance: This works great for photoshoots!

7.) Know your poses. If you don't want someone to notice your muffin top, don't bend over and squeeze it out of your outfit at them. Subtle, more natural poses work well with the camera; try not to let the photographer get an 'up the nose' shot unless that's their/your intention. Shots from above are very flattering on most people, and can make you appear lighter than you actually are (and possibly closer to your character's apppearance).

8.) Confidence. You are BEAUTIFUL, wonderful, and worthwhile. You do not need to lose weight or appear slimmer; you do it because you want to. Walk proudly and enjoy yourself; you're indulging in a hobby you love, with a costume you've invested time into and people who are interested in seeing you! You are amongst fellow fans, don't forget! :angel:

If you guys have any more tips, please go ahead and post! I tried to post tips that would not disrupt a person's life excessively; I mean, this isn't hard core weight loss, it's just trimming for cosplay. If you have questions also feel free to ask, I or someone else here on the forums can probably answer you.

Toraxchan
05-26-2010, 02:04 AM
This is a great thread! Love the last tip. That is so sweet!! (:

RavenSkies
05-26-2010, 02:34 AM
This was very helpful. Thank you.

Technowraith
05-26-2010, 03:10 AM
Exercise is something we should ALL do, and not just for a couple weeks before a con. I stopped driving to work and walk to the route 20 bus stop, which is a quarter mile away, a quick 20 minute walk. Even though the Route 67 and 84 stops are right around the corner, on nice days and nights I prefer the 20 so I can get exercise.

I do drink water at work, but I intersperse a cup of fruit punch or an occassional cup of soda if I need a caffeine boost. But it's all mostly water.

Be aware that trying to suddenly lose weight may or may not work. You should always see a doctor prior to starting any exercise routine. But in the end, if walking is all you want to do, then seeing a doctor really isn't required. Keeping weight off is continuous, so just because the con is over doesn't mean you can go lax on your exercise. >.<

Some real quick exercise tips:

-Skip the elevator or the escalator and use those steps! A low impact workout at best. At worst it takes you a minute longer to get where you need to go.

-Park at the far end of the lot and walk in. That extra 200 feet helps out!

-Like going to the mall? Window shop! Walk the mall and window shop. Just don't be tempted to buy all that food in the food court or the candy stand. ^.^

-Two heads are better than one. Find a friend to exercise with and it becomes fun! It's always easier to accomplish stuff in groups, and exercise is one thing that seems to get people motivated if done in groups.

-Wanna try for some strength exercise? Lift a stack of newspapers, or take two filled one gallon bottles and you have a set of weights. Be sure to lift safely and properly. Any sharp pains mean there's something wrong or you are not performing an exercise correctly. STOP and let yourself recover. If pain persists or gets worse, stop your routine and see a doctor. You may have injured something. >.<

-Change the diet. Try for less fattening foods. Aim for foods that give you energy (protein, fiber, etc) but try not to bulk up on carbs. That has less desirable results. Avoid sugars if possible. Get your sweets from natural foods like fruits or use Splenda if you want a sweetener.

saiyamanmasenko
05-26-2010, 03:23 AM
A newspaper article I read back in January had some good tips for walking exercise.
1.) If new to walking, try starting with 10 minutes 3-5 days a week. Try to increase your time by 2-5 minutes each day every week. (i.e. do three 10-min days week one, do 4 12-min days week 2, etc.) The distance is not as important as the time spent.
2.) Walk on relatively flat terrain.
3.) Avoid carrying weights while walking as they will mess up your stride, pace and posture.

I forget the rest of the tips, but those were the basics. If I find the article again I will post it.

Crescentzero
05-26-2010, 03:27 AM
This is very helpful!
I'm going to cosplay for the first time this summer, hopefully I put this thread to good uses

distantarray
05-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Last resort things, wearing things like waist slimming belts to sleep actually helps a bit, It's probably not the best thing to do on a regular basis but it helps squeeze out excess water in the area. If you want a permenant approach you can try corsette training but that's only for hardcore people, world record 15 inch waist was achieved through this. (Looks nasty as hell imo)

besides that drinking a lot of water, and taking in a lot of fiber staying away from processed foods, and just plain working out. If your salt intake is high most people don't realize most of excess salt intake will actually be sweated out through normal exercise which helps with bloating.

Just exercise and eat right smaller meals more often throughout the day, and snack on healthy things, try to eat wheat breads, and brown rice etc whenever possible. Fiber actually helps regulate your digestive tracks and cleans it meaning foods will process through your body faster, faster it goes through the less you actually intake into your body.

juusanbantaigrr
05-26-2010, 07:28 AM
I would like to add that waist cinchers work for just tightening up a slightly flabby belly under a top. Curvation is a good brand--buy it maybe a size larger than you actually are and it a.) still does it's job and b.) is very comfortable. These also help support your back, which helps you maintain good posture as per Tip 6.

I use mine all the time, particularly under tight dresses like my Yuuko dress that kind of needs to be perfectly slim and smooth. Also, if you crossplay, it can double as binder in a pinch :D

Lithium Flower
05-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Remember, a single limb can weigh as much as 15lbs depending on your weight and level of exercise. You can still function with one good arm (the one you write with preferably) so take this into consideration when choosing a character. Long sleeves and War Veterans are appropriate choices.

Also don't be afraid of control top panties, Spanx shorts, and editing your costume to better suit your figure.

hellparadiso
05-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Yes, this is an excellent idea for a thread, and those are great ideas. But it should be important to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't turn into a general weight loss tips thread. I don't think that's what we're about here, and distributing weight loss tips on the internet can be dangerous. Some people can become quite obsessive about this, and I wouldn't want anybody to think that it's okay to "crash diet" before a con.

In other words: CRASH DIETING IS A BIG NO-NO!!

That said, I am having some success getting ready for my con next week by consciously eating about 60% of what I normally eat (which is a lot), drinking only water (okay, and coffee), and watching my salt intake. That salt is a killer, man. I've also been quite successful keeping away from the Hershey's kiss jar at work. They're so tiny, and only about 40 calories each, but you know...a person could put away ten of them without even thinking about it.

Doing some light weight routines - unless you have joint or muscle issues that could result in injuries - might also help with toning and slimming. Don't go overboard, just a few reps in major muscle areas every other day in the two weeks before the con can help a lot, even if the only visible difference is that your muscles are a little swollen from the excess work!

I'm also a big proponent of lotion. Applying lotion to your "problem areas" can help smooth out and moisturize the skin, which makes it appear more lithe, pliant, and healthy. Also, I think on some weird physio-spiritual level, paying a little extra, positive attention to those areas can help you see them in a better light, which means others will too.

When all else fails, Spanx are a god-send, and having some people with you who think you're beautiful is amazing. Confidence is definitely the sexiest possible trait!

ETA:

Had to throw in my two biggest tips here:

The water thing. It's been said, but I really want to beat this into people's heads. Drink it all day, starting with the moment you wake up and ending with the few minutes before bed. The benefits are countless. It's just...they're countless.

Also, WALK. You're going to be doing a lot of walking at the con anyway, so you might as well get ready for that. Need a gallon of milk? Walk to the corner store instead of driving to the grocery store, and carry that sucker back. If you're close to work, walk to work, or take public transportation. Park far away from the entrance to the store and walk across the parking lot. Take a walk during your lunch break, or even just pace around the house while you're talking on the phone. Also, housework can keep you active and keeps your house looking good. Bonus! If you're going out of town for your con, you don't have to worry about coming home to a messy house.

Kasinator
05-26-2010, 11:03 AM
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]Hi guys!
[CENTER]
3.) Do crunches twice a day. This is really effective for me; I do proper crunches the week before the convention. Twenty in the morning when I wake up, before I even bother to roll out of bed, and twenty before bed - whereupon completing I collapse in a happy heap and nod off. I now do sixty crunches in the morning and evening, but twenty will see a subtle but pleasing difference in the tightness of your belly in just a week. :jjacks:

I really have to disagree with this. Abs are my specialty, and this is something that should be corrected in your post for the sake of correct information. :D

crunches and other exercises should be done every other day and definitely not twice a day.more importantly, crunches will not make the belly slimmer necessarily. true building muscle burns the fat, but cardio is the key to a flat stomach, not crunches alone. Otherwise your input is quite informative, concise, and helpful. Great job!:toothy:

Jinglebrarian
05-26-2010, 01:20 PM
@Toraxchan: I am glad!
@Ravenskies: You’re welcome!
@Technowraith: GREAT tips, thank you very much. I love the tip about simply parking farther out in the lot and fiber!
@Saiyamanmasenko: Sounds awesome, those are good tips.
@CrescentZero: Good luck!
@DistantArray: It’s true waist-slimming belts can help, but we should be very careful - those are our precious organs inside! XD Thanks for the tips, especially about the fiber.
@Juusanbantaigrr: Interesting!
@Lithium Flower: Control-top panties are probably one of the best inventions ever.
@Hellparadiso: This thread is certainly not about general weight loss - I’m keeping the tips on the first post all about temporary weight loss/slimming appearance for a con. Since it’s an open forum, I have no control over what other people say - but I do have control over the first post at least. ^^ Thank you for mentioning the no crash-dieting! I like the tip on lotion.
@Kasinator: I chose to suggest crunches instead of cardio because this thread is targeted at people who want to appear slimmer right before a con - people who are truly interested in pursuing a diet should discuss with a trained fitness instructor or dietician. The thread was aimed at people like me, who are very busy before a con and might not have time to work in a good cardio workout like we all wish we could to get that ‘ideal tummy’. As you know, cardio takes up a lot of time! I will edit the first post to make sure that people know that cardio is the key to longer-term success, though.

Lithium Flower
05-26-2010, 03:31 PM
[B]@Lithium Flower: Control-top panties are probably one of the best inventions ever.

I will edit the first post to make sure that people know that cardio is the key to longer-term success, though.

The bodysuit I got for my Motoko costume...actually a Spax-like body shape thing. XD I didn't realize it until I'd already bought it.-snarf- it did wonders though.

Also, here's (http://www.spanx.com/home/index.jsp) the Spax website for those who don't know what it is or want one RIGHT NOW DARN IT.

But really, those things aren't just for girls who are drastically overweight or mothers with 6 kids. Regular size gals (and guys don't be shy) can use them under slinky dresses and tighter fitting cosplays.

You should also mention that cutting off ones limb for immediate weight loss is not helpful in the long term.

PsychoLove
05-26-2010, 04:05 PM
I fantastic way to give your metabolism a jump start and keep is going throughout the day is to:

1) Eat something as soon as you wake up. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to eat junk, but I've just been throwing cereal into my face every morning, even when I'm not hungry

2) Replace large, spaced out meals for small, more frequent ones. In stead of a large breakfast at 9AM, a decent lunch at 1PM, and a hearty dinner at 6PM, try fitting sandwiches, fruit, maybe some soups, etc at about every 3-4 hours.

Honestly it sounds silly, but it has been working like wild fire for me.

Also, going for walks every once in a while can only help. To remain healthy, the human body should take a certain number of steps a week. If you can't get out of the house, just run around in circles for a while xD

And water is A+

Lithium Flower
05-26-2010, 04:53 PM
@PsychoLove - The whole breakfast thing is true. I've never really been big on breakfast foods so when I get a chance to I'll have a container of yogurt and some blackberries as a quick snack to get me going. It's also great throughout the day and very tasty ;3

So for people like me who never really got into the big breakfast of eggs,ham,and biscuits having some yogurt and a glass of juice or water is a good alternative to that big sit down hearty meal.

PhDPepper
05-26-2010, 05:46 PM
i think what kasinator means is that crunches are used to increase the size of the stomach muscles. Its like saying you want slim tone arms by doing curls, your growing the muscle to make it bigger. Crunches aren't exactly an exercise you want to go too crazy with unless your goal is to increase the size and strength of your trunk.

Jinglebrarian
05-26-2010, 06:18 PM
@Lithium Flower: Thank you for the webbie link, it's glorious. Visions of slimness dance in my head! xD

I love bacon, don't get me wrong, but I used to feel so sick when my mum insisted I sit down and eat a big meal early in the day. Cottage cheese with pineapple (I know it sounds gross, haha!) is probably my new favorite thing. My little sister is horrified by it. ^^ Haha.

@Psycholove: Thanks for the tips, they're wonderful!

@PhDPepper: Agreed! For crunches, I didn't pretend they would 'make you slimmer' (like you said, they're likely to increase the strength and shape of your stomach muscles; water and cardio are better for slimming as you know) but help your tummy appear tighter, and less sucked-in or forced. You know how you can tell when someone is "skinning-in", and when their belly's natural shape is genuinely pretty good? Remember also, these tips are for just the week or so before a convention. You won't get chiseled or super-defined abs in just one week, but you will notice a slight difference - enough to improve your confidence, which is the most important ingredient! ^^ Crunches alone won't do the job, but they complement good hydration. :bigtu:

Blushie
05-26-2010, 09:12 PM
i'm going to be pretty much the most useless person in this thread so far and ask a question.
how do i trim my legs? i've been running in the past 2 months and lost 12lbs, but my legs don't look any slimmer. my cosplay has a short, tight skirt which is going to make me look like a whale at anime iowa.

tips for thunder thigh reduction?

Metta
05-27-2010, 12:24 AM
I treadmill for as long as I can as often as I can. Try not to take too long inbetween days, though! Used to, I would go for over an hour, but I stopped for a week or two, and now I'm back doing good to get 30 minutes!!

What I do, though, that makes the time pass quicker, and also to get a better workout (whether you be on a treadmill or a track) is I listen to music. It takes your attention away from your steps and may even help your control speed. I always ALWAYS walk in time with my music. I can't really help it, lol, it drives me crazy not to. It keeps me at a steady pace for about 3 minutes, and every new song gives a different level of intensity depending on the pace it takes.

If you get tired, but really love the song, try a different version of the song, or find a new beat within the song. for me, when I treadmill, I listen to a lot of video game music (lol). The original One Winged Angel keeps me in the low 3 mph range, while the Black Wing remix bumps it up very slightly, and the Josh Cianciulli remix keeps me at a steady 4 mph. (http://www.playlist.com/playlist/19840052747) It really all comes down to a sense of rhythm for me.

Jinglebrarian
05-27-2010, 01:01 AM
@Blushie: That's not useless at all. xD You aren't the only one with thunder thighs! It's not really possible to target just one area of your body for losing fat - but you CAN tone what you've got, and your body will respond. It's not something you can do in just the week before a con, though, so I can't really go in-depth on it here in this thread. In short, cardio and upping your heart rate will increase your metabolism a bit, which should help.

I suggest Googling for more info; good luck!

alorian
05-27-2010, 10:48 AM
I can recommend having a danactive first thing in the morning, especially for the "urgh breakfast" crowd that doesn't want solid food for an hour or two after getting up. They're like tiny yogurt smoothies, and they're full of all the nice bugs that your digestive system needs to function properly. It also helps your immune system (ward off the con crud!) and gives your metabolism something to work on for a while until you get hungry for something more solid later. And they are tasty! Good for a con if you can keep 'em cold.

Also, pick up a good multivitamin to take every day! They make delicious chewy ones now for grown-ups.

When I'm sewing, I like to have a drink handy. Water is best, but if you want something warm, try a cup of green tea to nurse over your sewing machine. A dab of honey or splenda packet can spruce it up if it's not sweet enough for you, but I've grown to like it unsweetened, actually.

And finally, to improve the taste of your water, try a fresh lime wedge. Even tap water gets tasty that way. But remember not to chug too much at once, just keep sipping a little through the day in moderation. Your body needs time to absorb it, and too much at once can be bad.

Thanks for starting this thread, Jinglebrarian!

karinka Chick
05-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Honestly, i know this sounds super wierd, but if you don't hae an anxiety disorder try caffeine pills. Caffeine gies you a burst of energy and makes you burn calories faster, and because you need to stay hydrated while taking them, you HAVE to drink A LOT of water....i lost 5 bld, and i work from home, very long shifts...now that doest sound like alot but if you hae a crazy schedual and you need to slim up, using this idea mixed with a high protein and high fiber diet will help sooooo much.

Jinglebrarian
05-27-2010, 01:33 PM
@Alorian: Wonderful tips! Green tea is a great alternative to boring old water or super-caloric soda pop! Thanks! I also love the chewable multivitamins, heehee. It's ironic, I actually drank a Danactive yogurt this morning! What a coincidence! And you're welcome!

@Karinka_Chick: Interesting! I had no idea. I myself can't try this method, because I have panic disorder and suffer from high anxiety, but I'm sure for people who aren't similarly afflicted it will be useful. Thank you.

karinka Chick
05-27-2010, 10:52 PM
Yea that is why i said that about if you can, you could try ginsing pills instead, they are a natural form of caffeine, that helps as well but you dont need the water. also Acai berry pills are AMAZING...another thing to try is hoodia, these pills are GREAT! they make a special formulated version just for women as well, and they are basically a pure fiber and protein pill, taken 30 min before your two largest meals of the day you will feel fuller and eat less there by less calorie intake. BTW sorry for the horrible spelling in my above post, my keys on my keyboard are sticky and so i miss some letters here and there >.> eeew.

Lithium Flower
05-28-2010, 12:57 AM
@Jinglebrarian- my mom LOVES cottage cheese with sliced peaches. The kind that come canned in syrup. T__T pleh. I haven't had cottage cheese in years. Something about the word 'curd' that makes my stomach churn :P

@Blushie-I am very much the same way. When I gain weight it's in my toosh and thighs, there is nothing that will change how you are built but I've been told with on going exercise you can certainly TONE that area of the body.

Also, who's to say you can't weight sheer nylons under a short skirt? Or heck, make the skirt LONGER to cover what you want to be covered. You'll feel more confident anyway.

karinka Chick
05-28-2010, 01:43 AM
Well i have the same problem with my thighs, a really neat trick, that is also often used in drag, you can wear a pair of dance tights, they are thicker and very tight fitting they will help to kinds trim up your thighs, and if you nave any giggle then it will help with that, if you are wanting to go natural there are these patches called cellulite be gone http://www.amazon.com/Nivea-Good-Bye-Cellulite-Continuous-Cosmetic/dp/B000O3SSGQ
it is pretty complex on how they actually work, so just go read the box at target lmao...but they work...i use them whenevr i am going t go on vaca, on my tummy ass and thight...they are amazing

again stupid spelling Grr

Firefly026
05-28-2010, 01:46 AM
2) Replace large, spaced out meals for small, more frequent ones. In stead of a large breakfast at 9AM, a decent lunch at 1PM, and a hearty dinner at 6PM, try fitting sandwiches, fruit, maybe some soups, etc at about every 3-4 hours.

Honestly it sounds silly, but it has been working like wild fire for me.
A+

THIS. Seriously, I lost over 60+ lbs by eating this way (and exercise, of course).
It works wonderfully, so yay for eating every 3-4 hours!

Also another member on cosplay.com showed me this http://www.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=3321939&postcount=6
and the links to the one week fitness routine worked WONDERS for me! So I highly suggest that!!!!

Also, lots and lots of water and watch the late night snacking!

karinka Chick
05-28-2010, 01:54 AM
THIS. Seriously, I lost over 60+ lbs by eating this way (and exercise, of course).
It works wonderfully, so yay for eating every 3-4 hours!

Also another member on cosplay.com showed me this http://www.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=3321939&postcount=6
and the links to the one week fitness routine worked WONDERS for me! So I highly suggest that!!!!

Also, lots and lots of water and watch the late night snacking!

a great and easy way to accomplish this is by using weight watchers, the point system really makes you think about how much and how frequesnt you eat!

amazingT
05-28-2010, 02:34 AM
This is a great thread! I'm no expert, but I've tried alot of things and I'd like to share what works for me to get fit and ready for spandex super hero costumes. ;)

As far as eating habits, I cut my carbs in half, my bigger meals are in the morning (thats also when I have dairy or fruit juices) I eat about every 3 hours and my portions get smaller as the day goes by. Lots of water, working out or not and even more water when working out.

My workouts consist of some cardio and weight lifting. I don't spend alot of time on either one. Sometimes doing them at seperate times during the day. With the weight lifting, I concentrate more on light weight and high reps/sets. I may include 1-2 heavy weight workouts every few weeks. I find other activities that require physical involvement, i. e. indoor rock climbing, basketball, yoga. I tried P90x and still use some of the exercises and approach to working out. This involves lots of moving and very little rest in between exercise, sometimes none at all. This also helps you get a good workout in less time.

I've found that waiting until a week or two before con is not realistic for achieving your goals. You should give yourself at least a few months, but doing something is better than nothing.

Have a plan, set goals! Sometimes finding the motivation is hard, but don't give up, you'll feel better and look better too!

Novaray
05-28-2010, 02:44 AM
I was reading the topic, and I just wanted to say, some people like a muffin top, so, dont always hide it.

amazingT
05-28-2010, 02:44 AM
i'm going to be pretty much the most useless person in this thread so far and ask a question.
how do i trim my legs? i've been running in the past 2 months and lost 12lbs, but my legs don't look any slimmer. my cosplay has a short, tight skirt which is going to make me look like a whale at anime iowa.

tips for thunder thigh reduction?

Don't be afraid to include weight training for your legs, if you train them with light weight at high reps and sets, they will slim out while retaining a nice shape. ;) Good stretching also enlongates your muscles helping you appear slimmer. Keep running it will help, it takes time. The effect of exercise on ones appearance is gradual not immediate. Good luck and don't quit!!

karinka Chick
05-28-2010, 02:49 AM
I think that people need to be sure that they know the difference between cardio and fat burn, i never really realized it but cardio is great but does almost nothing for you, you can be 500 lbs and have a strong heart but fat burn is all about slow and hill...bulid up muscle so it eats away the fat. everyday on the treadmill i do this for my workout, at it is awesome because it helps tone you fast and eats fat all the time after, I satrt at 4 go up to 10 (or 15 if it goes that high) down to five (or then if it goes to 15) then up to 10/15 then back down to 0 on speed 2. great workout doesnt leave you supre sore but gets ya sweating that is what you want like a brisk walk

karinka Chick
05-28-2010, 02:51 AM
I was reading the topic, and I just wanted to say, some people like a muffin top, so, dont always hide it.

muffin top is waaaaay different than flab...lets make that one clear here and now dear lmao

distantarray
05-28-2010, 03:11 AM
I think that people need to be sure that they know the difference between cardio and fat burn, i never really realized it but cardio is great but does almost nothing for you, you can be 500 lbs and have a strong heart but fat burn is all about slow and hill...bulid up muscle so it eats away the fat. everyday on the treadmill i do this for my workout, at it is awesome because it helps tone you fast and eats fat all the time after, I satrt at 4 go up to 10 (or 15 if it goes that high) down to five (or then if it goes to 15) then up to 10/15 then back down to 0 on speed 2. great workout doesnt leave you supre sore but gets ya sweating that is what you want like a brisk walk

Honestly I don't understand this post... Your workout routine IS actual cardio... cardio is any workout that elevates your heart rate, and chances are if your sweating your doing a great cardio workout, as long as your not feeling dizzy from it you should be fine.

(if you feel dizzy then your heart rate is above the heart's comfort zone and you can damage your heart with prolonged abuse, short bursts are ok, but not for extended periods.)

Your routine is referred to has HIIT, high intensity interval training. Where you vary the workout as you go along, it can be speed, incline decline, or time etc. Regardless running no matter how you do it is a cardio workout, so I don't understand what you mean by difference between cardio and fat burning, since cardio creates a calorie deficit which will result in fat loss.

Now if your talking about elevation not speed in your post which wasn't really too clear on, then it could be a little different, but then even working with elevation changes getting your heart rate still results in being a cardio workout, the best cardio machine I've ever used was a tread climber, which is a mix between a treadmill and stair stepper which simulates uphill and downhill motions in 1 single step. The tread climber doesn't go much past 4mph, but that's perfectly fine cause the heart rate will be up there and the sweat will come out like crazy :p

karinka Chick
05-28-2010, 03:32 AM
i dont know how to be more clear here hun, what i mean is that you dont want your heart rate to climb, you just want to feel...like playing ddr, but not on heavy, you feel good but not out of breath....lol...bad analogy but meh...you need to work your muscles, cardi is flat out running and endurance to push yourself and your heart, that will not help you to burn fat a better hear has nothing to do with your overall muscle, i know what i am talking about i have a personal trainer lmao. you need to work your muscles not your heart...once you start to gain muscle it will eat away the fat...your hear rate will always go up while working out but for fat burn it souldnt go sky rocketing.

SamuriSmurfX
05-28-2010, 03:47 AM
@kasinator

Sorry it's taken me so long to post my workout. It's kind of been a ...umm, well, things have been happening this week. On top of which, I actually have to do some research - Some of the workouts I do were either shown to me, or workout's I made and i'm not sure if they have names. I've been looking around to see if I can find them, if that fail;s, I'm describing them the best I can.

distantarray
05-28-2010, 03:59 AM
Don't be afraid to include weight training for your legs, if you train them with light weight at high reps and sets, they will slim out while retaining a nice shape. ;) Good stretching also enlongates your muscles helping you appear slimmer. Keep running it will help, it takes time. The effect of exercise on ones appearance is gradual not immediate. Good luck and don't quit!!

Adding weights is great, but please make it clear how many reps people should be doing as well, because anything above 20 reps with weights won't achieve much towards the toning areas.

around low reps (1-12) will create myofibrillated hypertrophy, (12-more) will create sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

Myofibrillated hyperthrophy helps with size and strength, Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy involves the growth of the sarcoplasm (fluid like substance) and non-contractile proteins that do not directly contribute to muscular force production. Filament area density decreases while cross-sectional area increases, without a significant increase in strength.

Basically if you want to tone, there is only 1 real way to do it, build bigger muscles, and attain a low body fat % to show off the muscle. So this is why anything above 20 reps isn't recommended for toning at all. Cause without hitting Myofibrillated hypertrophy you won't really gain enough size to really show off your toned muscles.

The only reason why high reps low weights seems to work for some people is certain exercises raises your heart rate a enough to burn some extra calories.

People also HEAVILY underestimate bodybuilding and working out. It takes YEARS to build muscles like Arnold had, there's a reason why average age of Mr. Olympia winners are at 32 years old. Many actually uses a lot of steroids as well

(also injecting insulin is somehow legal in bodybuilding..... which can be worse than steroids)

Generally 10-15 pounds of muscle for the first year is attainable for a male, and about 5-7 pounds for a female, it doesn't sound like much, Without proper nutritional habits and lack of knowledge people will generally only attain half of their potential the first year, making it even a longer progress.

*IMPORTANT NOTE women will NEVER get huge like a male bodybuilder by accident. Repeat NEVER!!!This is because what female bodybuilders do is drop their body fat % to a unnatural level which forces their body to produce more male hormones, and create less female hormones. In results in the female body to stop menstruating (having periods) and the ability to reproduce. It's probably a body/brain's natural defense in protecting the woman and potential child.

note: also 20 reps don't mean doing 20 reps with 1 pound weights either, it means 20 rep maximum meaning that's where you can't do much more on that single set. Do it til you can't do anymore, rest and do another 2-3 more sets. If you take little to no rest (no more than 60 seconds) between sets (you'll have to lower the weights each set to keep up) you keep your heart rate elevated at a high rate which turns weight training into a cardio workout as well. This is HIIT training as well.

Also try never to hit weights for more than 1 hour a day max, and give your muscle group 4-7 days rest.

Everyone in the world is born with and will always have a 6 pack without even doing 1 crunch in their lives, the key is lowering your body fat % enough. Toning is lowering your body fat so it shrink wraps fat onto the muscles, and building up the muscle to create a good shape for the skin to tighten up on is the only real way to tone. Weight training and cardio.

Also NEVER EVER USE A SCALE AS YOUR MEASUREMENT OF PROGRESS.

Losing weight doesn't mean it's healthy, since with proper workout gaining muscle weight is inevitable. Also every 5 pounds of muscle you gain, it's healthy to gain around 2.5 pounds of fat as well. If you measure your body fat you'll always see a healthy progress, set your goal on a % and not on weight alone.

Don't ever expect your inactive lifestyle weight to measure up the same as your active lifestyle weight. So if you weighed 150 in high school, don't strive to hit that magic number, most people will tend to try too hard overworking out, and over dieting and causing their body more harm than good. Instead try fitting into a old pair of jeans or just go by picture progress is much better than relying on the scale alone if a body fat calculator is not avaliable to you. (about $30 at wal-mart) omron is the most accepted brand.

plz don't encourage muffin tops...... I guess it all depends on how big the muffin is, if it's barely pokes out like your wearing a pair of jeans inch or two too tight that might be ok, but if people like flab that covers and hide the belt loops that's completely and utterly disgusting (sorry just being honest)

SamuriSmurfX
05-28-2010, 04:06 AM
@distantarry.

Oh, I did want to argue. Occasionally, I may take the elevator up. I want every ounce of energy I can before my run, but no matter how dead I am I'll go down the stairs. Going down is lazy =P

distantarray
05-28-2010, 04:14 AM
i dont know how to be more clear here hun, what i mean is that you dont want your heart rate to climb, you just want to feel...like playing ddr, but not on heavy, you feel good but not out of breath....lol...bad analogy but meh...you need to work your muscles, cardi is flat out running and endurance to push yourself and your heart, that will not help you to burn fat a better hear has nothing to do with your overall muscle, i know what i am talking about i have a personal trainer lmao. you need to work your muscles not your heart...once you start to gain muscle it will eat away the fat...your hear rate will always go up while working out but for fat burn it souldnt go sky rocketing.

So basically your just saying don't over stress your heart, which is something you shouldn't do anyways. There is a target heart rate zone you should be hitting, overdoing anything is always a bad idea. Regardless what your doing is cardio no ifs and buts about it.

Also having a personal trainer doesn't mean you know what your doing, I find most personal trainers are dumb as bricks. In many gyms like Lifestyles you don't even require a certification to start training clients, and some personal training certifications take less than a weekend to complete which is scary...

Also there is no way you can workout your muscle, and not your heart. They pretty much come together, its like asking to run your engine in your car without the use of a fuel pump....

I honestly think if you don't believe being on a treadmill is cardio your personal trainer is not certified to teach at all. I'm currently taking classes for physical therapy and is working with one of the best personal trainers in my area. Why do I think he's the best?

1. he was a professional bodybuilder former Mr. Korea and has been able to avoid any serious injuries in his career
2. he's over 50 years old still looks amazing
3. his son is a professional bodybuilder who won Teen USA competition. 5'9 225 pounds competition weight.
4. he also certified personal trainer,physical therapist, and nutritionist.

Picture of Jason his son :P

http://www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/forums/attachments/bodybuilding-discussion/7272d1178964285-jason-huh-describes-his-plan-turn-pro-jason_huh-1-.jpg

SamuriSmurfX
05-28-2010, 04:28 AM
Edit:
Removed.

Didn't see there was a second weight loss thread.

xiaohimecece
05-28-2010, 04:32 AM
Simple and easy to follow steps!
Thank you so much.
You've motivated me in changing my habits to look a little slimmer X3

though i cant garuntee bout the sleep thing ;_; i wonder if there's a thread on getting rid of bags~

distantarray
05-28-2010, 04:37 AM
Simple and easy to follow steps!
Thank you so much.
You've motivated me in changing my habits to look a little slimmer X3

though i cant garuntee bout the sleep thing ;_; i wonder if there's a thread on getting rid of bags~

I talked to doctors about removing bags under my eyes, they pretty much all said the same, you can cover it up with make it, lighten it with skin bleach (some under eye creams have this) , with swelling you can use a anti inflammatory cream like preparation h (tightens the skin) actors like Will Smith has been known to use it as well.

xiaohimecece
05-28-2010, 05:26 AM
I talked to doctors about removing bags under my eyes, they pretty much all said the same, you can cover it up with make it, lighten it with skin bleach (some under eye creams have this) , with swelling you can use a anti inflammatory cream like preparation h (tightens the skin) actors like Will Smith has been known to use it as well.

oh really? thank you X]
i've tried several home remidies,
but i'm not certain if they work any better.

i'll try some sort of cream next time,
maybe it'll work.

Jinglebrarian
05-28-2010, 10:31 AM
A note to everyone! Please stay nice to each other, even if you disagree or feel frustrated with what someone else said! We’re all here to help each other out and support each other in our hobby and goals!

@Karinka_chick: Oh, I’ve heard about acai berries! Where do you buy yours? I’d like to try. Also, the dance tights is a brilliant idea. o.o Would they be too noticeable, though, if they were in a “nude” color? Thanks for the link on cellulite patches; if you don’t have cellulite, just pudge, I wonder if they’ll work.
@Lithium_flower: You’re amazing, pretty much. Just saying. ^_^ I understand completely about the curd “eews”, haha, when I eat cottage cheese with my friends in the morning before classes, they all go, “NAAA~AASTY, IT’S CURDIE!” To which I reply, “Yum.” Also, agreed with wearing sheer nylons! They’re so sexy and clean looking. ^^
@FireFly026: WOW! CONGRATULATIONS! Thank you for those links, she did an incredible job with those articles: I will update the first post with links to them! ~bow~ Thank you1
@AmazingT: Thank you for your wonderful tips! I agree about setting the goals!
@Novaray: Uwah, uwah, it’s true. I am sorry for discriminating against muffin tops! I personally am not a fan! XD
@Distantarray: Oooh, you are very knowledgeable. Thank you for taking the time to contribute your knowledge. ~bow~ I know it will help many cosplayers. I love your tip on not using a scale to measure progress... that’s perfect. I will add it to the first post!
@SamuriSmurfX: We’ll be happy to hear whatever you want to share!
@Xiaohimecece: Good luck, girl! I know you’ll do great. Sleeping is the hardest part, sometimes! As for bags under eyes, you can sleep with your head on an extra pillow; gravity will pull a delightful amount of the water that gathers there down into other areas of your body, reducing puffiness when you wake. It’s just a quick and subtle “fix”, though.

Technowraith
05-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Other ways that may help out:

-NEVER grocery shop when you're hungry. The reason for that is you tend to buy more quick "snack" items and eat them as a result of being hungry. Grocery shopping on a full stomach changes your mind set to "things I need" rather then "things I want right now because I'm hungry." You might not think too much about this, but if you go shopping when you're hungry a lot, you'll find yourself picking up a lot of snack items. And snack items get eaten faster than you think! With that mind set, you'll end up gaining weight and not realizing it.

-Give yourself a quick workout at the grocery store. Take a few spins by the aisles with some heavier items and place a few items into your cart. (Don't go nuts here - lift what you are comfortable lifting). Shop around and then return to the aisles where you got the heavier items (and if you don't need them) put them back on the shelf or display. This seems miniscule to a regular weight or strength lifting routine, but it is exercise in a way. :)

-Are really craving a treat? Earn that treat by walking to the place where you would get it (if within reasonable distance - say 1-2 miles). You'll really feel accomplished and rewarded when you walk that 2 miles to get that ice cream sundae you're craving.

-Wanna save gas, but still be mobile? Get a bike and if needed, learn to ride it. Bike riding gives you a decent workout, yet it's good at keeping you mobile and fit. Be sure to properly maintain your bike, as well invest in a very good, high quality bike lock and chain/cable.

-It's been said already but I will say it again: Avoid Crash Dieting at all costs. This form of dieting is unhealthy. In the long term, it also fails. Weight loss and simple exercise go hand in hand, so to maintain both, you gotta do both and manage them carefully. Easy changes can always be made, and starting out small is always the best thing to do. If you have to lose a pound or two by a certain date, PLAN things out far in advance so you can avoid the crash dieting scenario. Exercise and weight loss best come in small pieces. You can do easy exercises for 15 minutes a day 4 or 5 times a week and that may help you out enough. Or you can increase the time to say, 30 minutes 4 to 5 times a week for a more aggressive workout.

No matter what you do, be smart, be safe and use common sense. :)

Snow_Storm
05-28-2010, 11:21 AM
This is something I discovered while "cleaning" my music/computer room: If you have anything heavy enough for you to lift like say an old VCR or a TV, do some squats with it. I say about 3 sets of 20-30 reps with it, every day. It's just me and I'm cheap so I don't buy weights.

Lithium Flower
05-28-2010, 12:01 PM
@Jinglebrarian- My mom has violent disgusted reactions to older women who don't wear nylons. xD we where out and saw this kinda older wrinkly lady who had on a short dress , my mom nearly had a heart attack about "when did nylons go out of style HONESTLY". She's a hoot really.

Tip: Like yourself the way you are now, not the self you imagine 10lbs thinner.

CiralFox
05-28-2010, 01:52 PM
I like to agree with lots of people on here.
I have had a vitamin and calcium deficiency. So every day I am taking 1 500mg multivitamin, and 2 500mg's of calcium. It doesn't help with the weight loss, but it does help in making you HEALTHY.

Also, food wise, that is what I've had the most problem with. I'm a college student, and the school I go to do not give us the best nutritious diet. Literally, I've been eating fried food, lots of carbs (not the good kind), more red meat, little to no chicken or turkey, and lots of cheese. THIS IS BAD FOR ME. My body grew bigger because of my diet.

For me as a college student, even walking around a big campus or into town didn't help much. However, when I went home, my parents are on better eating habits because my father had a clogged artery and needed stints, so we knew that we had to change. My refridgerator consists of things that are beneficial to the body:
Yogurt (b/c of the live active culture)
TURKEY (seriously, keeps you full and it is good for you)
lots of vegetables and fruit (....need I say more?)
Low-fat/low-cal cheese (i really dont eat cheese anymore...but in some of our dinners we add some cheese, like a low-fat/low-cal lasagne. delicious.)
Pita bread (lower in carbs than normal white bread.)
Rye Bread seeds and seedless (same as above)
Chicken (our dinners consist 98% chicken and veggies and SALAD. chicken is the best)
AVOCADO (big ** on this one. Avocados consist of GOOD FAT. There is a difference between BAD FAT (cookies, some types of sugar and chocolate) and GOOD FAT (olive oil, avocadoes etc))

My lunches can go from:
leftovers from dinner before. (like grilled chicken (just spray to make it not stick to the pan, cooked carrots and cauliflower, and salad (mushrooms, mandarin oranges, apples, raisins, a bit of feta cheese, on romaine lettuce. delicious)
to
turkey in a toasted pita bread with mashed avocado as the "dressing" = DELICIOUS.

Seriously, I think from changing my diet only made me lose some weight.
Now, just getting back to exercising will be my bigger obstacle to face.

Hopefully someone will try out my lunch and tell me if you guys like it as much as I do nowadays. =3

karinka Chick
05-28-2010, 03:29 PM
acai berrys can be found at walmart, target, walgreens....etc..

Lithium Flower
05-28-2010, 03:51 PM
acai berrys can be found at walmart, target, walgreens....etc..

Acai diet supplement pills have been reviewed by users as being useless, and having no effect on anyone at all. Mostly because diet pills are NOT regulated . There are no laws to prohibit what they can and cannot claim on their packaging, so something that claims to have green tea or Acai berries does not legally have to contain any of that.

Diet pills are unnecessary and can often be dangerous when used improperly, I would never suggest them at all. (I have in the past bought brand name diet pills before anyone bashes me)

CiralFox
05-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Acai diet supplement pills have been reviewed by users as being useless, and having no effect on anyone at all. Mostly because diet pills are NOT regulated . There are no laws to prohibit what they can and cannot claim on their packaging, so something that claims to have green tea or Acai berries does not legally have to contain any of that.

Diet pills are unnecessary and can often be dangerous when used improperly, I would never suggest them at all. (I have in the past bought brand name diet pills before anyone bashes me)

This is what I forgot to add to my post. Thanks Lithium Flower! =D
I don't EVER want to use Acai Diet Pills. No thanks.

karinka Chick
05-28-2010, 03:55 PM
they are a diet supplement and i have used the for a long time, they help your metabolism, ive been on and off of them for almost 2 years, they work amazingly.they are not a dies pill lol...they are a fruit pill lol...eating 1 acai is like eating 4 pomagranet(or however you spell it lmao)

Lithium Flower
05-28-2010, 03:59 PM
they are a diet supplement and i have used the for a long time, they help your metabolism, ive been on and off of them for almost 2 years, they work amazingly.they are not a dies pill lol...they are a fruit pill lol...eating 1 acai is like eating 4 pomagranet(or however you spell it lmao)

The one's I've seen are diet pills, nearly useless really. If not entirely. The problem with diet pills is the effect people often see and contribute to the pills is their own change in exercise and changing what they eat.

Saki Ree
05-28-2010, 04:02 PM
What do you guys do to stop yourself from craving food?
XD
That's my problem...
What do you guys eat that takes your cravings away? O:

CiralFox
05-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Saki: I chew gum.
Also sometimes if you are craving food, you may be craving a drink.
Try drinking water when you're craving food.
Because that way, you can have that full feeling and not want food anymore.
=3
It's all about tricking your own mind.

karinka Chick
05-28-2010, 04:16 PM
The one's I've seen are diet pills, nearly useless really. If not entirely. The problem with diet pills is the effect people often see and contribute to the pills is their own change in exercise and changing what they eat.
they all say diet pill, but they are not that, thay are a diet suppliment, they help to curb your appitite but changing your metabolism, acai berrys are one of the super fruits and are great for your body, i am not currently taking them but i can tell the difference when i do.

distantarray
05-29-2010, 12:46 AM
XD
That's my problem...

When your hungry eat. You can actually gain more weight by NOT eating. Just make sure you eat healthy, carrots, apples, grape fruits, celery, peanut butter, oatmeal, anything that contains fiber, whole wheat breads etc. Salads with Vinegar based dressings work wonders, you can pretty much eat as much salad as you want if you stay away from cheese bacon bits etc.

The biggest thing is controlling your portions, and eating so your not hungry anymore, but not full at the same time. You should eat to live, not live to eat.

I usually have a tub of smart balance peanut butter
(tastes great and uses flax seed oil instead of peanut oil to give a boost of omega 3 fatty acids which is very healthy) With Arnolds double protein wheat bread. If there is no Arnolds bread just any whole wheat bread is ok. So I just munch on a sandwich with a glass of milk.
2slices of bread= 12 grams of protein
peanut butter = 7 grams of protein
1 cup of milk = 8 grams of protein.
so that's 27 grams of protein for that meal which is amazing :bigtu:

It's also loaded with fiber, omega 3's,vitamin D, potassium, electrolytes, and calcium :bigtu:

Remember if you have to eat, just eat something healthy and watch your portions and you'll be fine. Also don't try to cheat with artificial sweetners. You can actually gain more weight than drinking pure sugar, it's a long story though. If you must cheat, cheat 30minutes before your workout, you can eat that chocolate cake before a workout cause it'll create an insulin spike that you can burn through during your workout as a extra boost of energy. Remember power bar used to make power gels, which was really just cake frosting in a packet for mountain climbers and bikers to down for a slight pick me up.

If you don't workout then that sugar will most likely just add inches to your waistline ;p

Personally I think people shouldn't diet at all when they start their weight loss goals, yes this could take longer, but at the sametime I believe dieting will come naturally as you progress.

you'll reach a time when your mind automatically goes god damn... that soda is 180 calories a can.... it'll take me 20 minutes of running to burn that off! Don't over stress your diet, and just try to eat healthier, and you can still go to McDonalds or Burgerking, just don't order fries or anything with cheese and you should be good for the most part.

The book eat this not that! is a great tool to help you diet, it COMPLETELY surprised me on what I THOUGHT was healthy was actually not, and somethings I avoided was actually MUCh healthier than what I was eating. Like a Arby's market fresh roast beef sandwich vs regular Arby's roast beef.

The market fresh is actually worse...

Many people also get burned out on overworking out and over dieting. Most people also fail to realize weight watchers and dieting programs are almost always geared towards inactive people. Once you add exercise into the mix that becomes a HUGE variable.

The harder your body works, the more fuel it needs. Period. The strange thing about the human body is when you have excess fat your body will burn that off for excess energy first, but once you hit a certain body fat % and muscle density your body will start to see it's own muscle tissue as a the prime source of fuel if your not feeding your muscles properly. It's just borrowing from peter to pay paul. This is why small frequent meals with a goal of around 20+ grams of protein per meal is ideal. This is why peanut butter sandwich with milk is so ideal cause it's also very very affordable.

Protein shakes + oatmeal is great too, protein shakes in 5 pounds can get cheaper than 50 cents a serving so that's not too bad there. Considering protein shakes can also be a complete meal replacement, and things like Ensure runs around 1-3 dollars per shake which has more carbs than anything.

There are protein shakes that tastes amazing too, if you don't believe me go to any GNC they usually have a few proteins mixed for taste testing if you ask. My recommendation if you like hot cocoa is Optimum nutrition chocolate. Tastes exactly the same, even fooled my ex gf with it just warmed it up, and added marshmellows. Muscle tech cookies and cream is good, vanilla icecream from optimum nutrition is good as well, chocolate EAS isn't bad tastes kinda like Ovaltine imo.

Protein shake + couple spoons of peanut butter and a stick of celery as a spoon works well lol, celery is a aquired taste but once you start liking it, it's pretty damn good lol. I got used to the taste because my parents wouldn't buy soda when I was growing up so the only cold drink in the fridge was V8 so I got used to chugging those down after a hot day lol.

Missha
05-29-2010, 01:51 AM
This is an awesome thread! Thank you! :)

HappehPills
05-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Great thread! I'm actually doing what you've suggested here and (either I'm being too cofident or...) it's really working!

1. Drinking water works! It does clean your acne and your system. I've been doing this since last week and I've been feeling even more energetic.

2. I can't lie and say that I'll leave the Coca-Cola away, but at least, I try to drink only one in the day and not more.

3. Been lifting dumbbells or weights from 20-40 times and running in the treadmill for 15 minutes. As well, as running the bicycle (switching from sitting down to standing and viceversa) for 20 minutes. I also tighten my belly with a little wheel.

4. Perhaps the hardest thing! XD But I've repressed salty foods with apples and fruits. I'm also applying vitamin K for my panda eyes (>< Ooh, I hate them!)

5. Resting is key.

This was very helpful and definitely has some hints I'll try out! :)

Celia Rose
05-29-2010, 08:25 PM
These are great tips, thanks for sharing!

I have my own tip to share, also.

If you want to get in shape, either right before the con or months in advance, get other people to do it with you. Exercising alone isn't always fun, at least for me. So, I joined a fitness challenge at my workplace (which we've all seem to have forgotten about determining an end date to see who's won, LOL) and on the Sakura-Con message board, with my motivation to look HOT when I cosplay Yoko (TTGL) at OtakuCon and Sakura-Con, especially since Sakura-Con takes place after the winter season.

Having a bunch of people that you can share advice and progress with will help motivate you and the people around you to become more fit. C:

Firefly026
05-29-2010, 10:27 PM
a great and easy way to accomplish this is by using weight watchers, the point system really makes you think about how much and how frequesnt you eat!

Yeah weight watchers is a great weight loss program!! It wasn't for me, personally, because I never kept up with the points ^_^;; but my grandma did it, and it worked great for her!!!

@Jinglebrarian: Thank you so much!!! And yeah, she did a great job with those forums!!!

Another tip is portion sizes. Make sure what you eat the appropriate amount of food. Because too much and too little are both bad.

DictatorForLife
05-31-2010, 11:35 AM
Two small tips here:

1). Eat small meals regularly throughout the day. Make sure they're high in fiber and/or protein. This keeps the body from feeling hungry and keeps the metabolism up throughout the day. It'll help burn the food faster, and if you're like me [you eat if you're bored] it actually turns what would be a bad thing, into something helpful. :P

2). Ladies, if you want your butt to look better in that costume, there's no need to set aside a specific time during the day for exercises. I know this sounds really weird, but simply clenching and releasing the muscles gives them a nice workout. Because I'm sitting down all day doing school work, I never had the motivation to actually workout. So I started just tightening and releasing my butt-muscles [XP] and hey, within a week I had noticeable results and now a month later, my butt looks a whole lot better! I actually recently started doing the same with my stomach muscles, and hopefully it'll work there too :P

Well, I guess I have a third really small tip too.
Like I said, I eat when I'm bored, even when I'm not hungry. If you do the same, and really don't want to eat anything, just chew gum. It keeps you occupied so you don't needlessly eat. I would suggest you use gum approved for orthodontics or low sugar brands, because it's just generally a good thing to wean your body off a lot of unnecessary sugar. [That doesn't mean to skip desert, it's my favorite meal of the day! It just generally is a good idea to cut down on candy, sodas, and cookies. Because when a body has sugar, it craves more.]

Hope my tips were helpful!

jujubee33
05-31-2010, 12:20 PM
I like to agree with lots of people on here.
I have had a vitamin and calcium deficiency. So every day I am taking 1 500mg multivitamin, and 2 500mg's of calcium. It doesn't help with the weight loss, but it does help in making you HEALTHY.

I would avoid Calcium pills and supplements if you have a deficiency. I had one as well, and those horse-pills do more harm than good since calcium (especially in hard form like in pills) is very hard for the body to naturally digest and can lead to calcification in the body (kidney stones and such) on a long term basis. Plus, it's recommended that you take a supplement like that with an actual meal, so the body can digest it properly, and that won't help your weight loss goals. For me, I had to eat very large portions of meals with my supplements or risk throwing up and getting sick, because I couldn't keep them down... Sooo, I gained weight instead.

My suggestion, if you have calcium issues, especially as a woman:

1) Ovaltine. It's a malt vitamin mix that comes in chocolate and should be in your supermarket tea/coffee aisle. It comes with a lot of vitamins and minerals and you mix it with milk. I drink it twice a day for my calcium boost plus B vitamins and others. It tastes really good and like a chocolate malt shake.

2) Calcium chews. You can find these in any GNC and health store. These are usually taffy-like chews that come in a variety of flavors from fruit (Laffy Taffy tasting) to chocolate and vanilla. Obviously, they're hard on the teeth, so I don't recommend it for those with tooth issues, since this is essentially taffy with Vitamins D and K in them. But, you can let them sit in the mouth and suck on them, letting your saliva do the work. Some are softer than others and have the consistency of chocolate, but I had the taffy ones.

3) Soy. Also great if you're lactose intolerant. Soy milk has a lot of calcium in it, as well as protein for added energy. So, instead of natural milk, you can try soy milk, or add more tofu (if you're brave) to your diet.

Overall, if you cannot obtain healthy foods regularly, then suppliments and multi-vitamins will help you. But I always advocate just eating healthier and more natural foods that have the vitamins int hem already. Have a potassium problem? Eat bananas and peanut butter. Have an iron deficiency? Have some spinach or rice and beans with dinner.

XD
That's my problem...

Honestly, the best method I found was snacking on almonds. They're a "super food" so they're really packed with a lot of vitamins and anti-oxidants. Another thing about them is that they fill me up and are known appetite suppressors - making you feel fuller faster. I can eat around 3-5 (and I'm usually a big snacker), but suddenly find myself full and not wanting to eat anymore. They're healthy for you and helping to prevent bad cravings. Win-win situation right there.

Bodici22
05-31-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm going to swear by the water thing too. A week before any con where I'm going to be baring my midriff, I get a cup of water and NEVER STOP DRINKING IT.

My tummy gets full of water so I don't feel as hungry and I just start feeling fantastic.

So yes. Water. Water and DDR.
Also I would like to say crash dieting is veryvery bad. Done it. Lost 10 pounds and then gained 25 after I stopped. During the diet I felt like crap and looked horrible, and I gained the weight (and more) back in a couple of days.

So once again. Water. Drink lots of water. And, assuming that you pee, there's nothing to worry from drinking too much water. BUT REMEMBER TO PEE! I set a timer for every three hours just to make sure.

(I just realized that I'm talking about peeing to a bunch of strangers on the internet ^^; )

distantarray
05-31-2010, 01:47 PM
(I just realized that I'm talking about peeing to a bunch of strangers on the internet ^^; )

It's alright.... keep going.... :bigtu: jk jk

but if you drink too much water before DDR it's important to point out that it can cause cramps so careful, also drinking too much water if your body isn't used to it can also cause diarrhea. If your going to keep drinking a lot of water it's best to take fiber supplements with it to keep your digestive track as clean as possible and easier to flush.

Also cranberry juice is amazing... after my friend passed 3 kidney stones in 2 years.... I drink my cranberry juice lol. My friend's a former Marine in Desert storm he was shot in the stomach 3 times, and he took it like a man...and driving him to the hospital where he's literally vomitting from the pain no thank you :P

Once the doctor told him to get on cranberry juice he's never had kidney stones again =)

SamuriSmurfX
05-31-2010, 02:26 PM

Back when I lived in Berlin, we met a girl who always talked about poo. We didn't know her at the time, but by the time we did, every conversation we had poo was involved. Moral of the story, don't talk about peeing with us for another month or you'll be that girl.

saiyamanmasenko
05-31-2010, 03:08 PM
So once again. Water. Drink lots of water. And, assuming that you pee, there's nothing to worry from drinking too much water. BUT REMEMBER TO PEE! I set a timer for every three hours just to make sure.

I went to a weekend camp before my frshman year of college and they actually gave us all the "Good Pee, Bad Pee" talk. lol. They all worried that the campers might be dehydrated, so they made sure to inform everybody that if you have yellow pee you are not getting enough liquid, especially water. So good advice for those looking to drink more water (or to tell if you need to take a break at the con and drink a bottle of water). Clear is good.

DevTehFiend
07-12-2010, 03:51 PM
This is the perfect thread for me considering my con is a week away. XD (hurries to try and finish costume in time.)

A tip that my dad taught me (as he liked to brag about how healthier things were when he was a kid) is to actually prepare your meals. Say you want pasta and meat sauce... it's better for you to cook the meat yourself and add it to the sauce, rather than getting the meat sauce in a jar, already made for you.

When you have to make things yourself, rather than making the 'stick it in the oven' type meals you're burning more calories. You burn calories in everything you do, but standing burns more than sitting, that and you have to stir things, and move things (carefully please), and you're moving around the kitchen getting things, so you're burning even MORE calories.

That and the closer things are to being homemade the better they tend to be for you. Plus, what doesn't taste better with the knowledge that you made it yourself? XD

Also, as for the meat sauce thing, ground beef can always be substituted with healthier things like ground chicken or turkey.

Bodici22
07-12-2010, 04:29 PM
When you have to make things yourself, rather than making the 'stick it in the oven' type meals you're burning more calories. You burn calories in everything you do, but standing burns more than sitting, that and you have to stir things, and move things (carefully please), and you're moving around the kitchen getting things, so you're burning even MORE calories.

That and the closer things are to being homemade the better they tend to be for you. Plus, what doesn't taste better with the knowledge that you made it yourself? XD

Also, as for the meat sauce thing, ground beef can always be substituted with healthier things like ground chicken or turkey.

This is especially true in my mom's kitchen, where the pantry is at the other side of the house and every cabinet that you open dumps tupperware on you, so you have to wash that and put it away (it's like that infomercial. xD)

And as for ground beef, here's something interesting: if ground beef is sold as 20% fat, then it will not be more than 20% fat. But if it's sold as 80% lean, then 80% of it is 3% fat or less.

H0TARU
07-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Try this 10 minute Cardio workout that'll make you sweat like a pig...
I was dancing for 2 hours straight and found this kind'a weird workout~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlX_Gy4HP2E&feature=player_embedded#!
I hope this helps anybody trying to lose weight~ OwO

F. Silverberg
07-16-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm going to be honest, I don't like this thread at all because it may encourage in some individuals to do some unhealthy things within close proximity of a con (despite your warnings).

The best way to prepare for a con body wise is to plan it out months and months in advance and do nothing last minute. There's very little you can do in a week (or even two) anyway, and still be healthy.

kyaKakashi
07-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Just Work out 10 Minutes a Day .... What i do is i Watch TV on the floor while doing Push ups or something like that XD
It works Perfectly
Also Try to Listen to music.Its Proven to help you want to " Move to The Groove" so you want to Dance to exersize

astrya02
07-16-2010, 09:42 PM
I dunno if this is the best thing to do, but I'm sometimes extremely lazy to make myself something to eat for lunch, so I end up just drinking a tall glass of milk. Milk turns into a solid in your stomach, and makes you feel fuller than you actually are, so hunger cravings are basically shot down.

Other than that, I eat lots of snacks during the day. My mum started buying 100 Calorie boxes like granola bars or chips, so if I'm really craving something I eat one of those. For actual meals, lunch-wise, I normally avoid bread because of carbs.

My daily lunch used to be grilled cheese sandwiches, but now it's more along the lines of a good soup or a salad chock full of stuff that's actually good for you and filling too. My mum and I figured out a way for salad to taste good without the dressing as well, if anyone is interested in how to make it.

I used to eat a ton every day, but since I've started eating little meals throughout the day that are more filling, my hunger has gone down a lot!

Oh, and I barely used to drink water, but my mum put me on a challenge to drink three bottles a day. It is insanely good for you! Not only that, but it clears up your skin really well!

We also bought a DVD for a Hip-Hop workout. Dancing appeals to me more than other forms of exercise, so that's why it's Hip-Hop specifically :)

Anyway, I hope this helps :) This is more for long-term results, but it can work short term if you're really determined!

korokuXneo
07-17-2010, 05:46 PM
I agree with the water suggestion. I worked for me.
I knocked off ten pounds the month before Animazement.

America, sadly, is obsessed with soda. In my opinion, it should be treated like a cupcake. A can of soda is actually more like a treat, and some people really fail to realize that. It won't kill you to have one once in awhile, but frequent drinkers will end up with lots of water weight.

I learned to balance out my meals with a large, juicy apple between them. That way, I can have some fuel in my stomach to prevent myself from pigging out at meals.

There is always a fruit or veggie in season and on sale. :D

Also, homemade fruit smoothies are tasty. :D

FLIPINOMAD
07-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Drink alot of water and less soda, sadly since I work at Grave Shift as a Security Officer (12AM - 8AM) its like gold to us. But I make sure every one cup of soda I drink I always drink about 1-2 cups.

Charlotte00
07-20-2010, 05:28 AM
This thread is so awesome!
It has inspired me to start drinking more water (just drunk a couple of glasses)!

I completely agree with the girl who said the whole soda is a treat like a cupcake. That is so true. I am from Australia, and I am lucky to get a can of soft drink once every month! I was so suprised to hear people saying they were limiting it to one a day!

This has been said but I just want to say it again:
- Never use starving yourself method. It puts your body into panic mode because it thinks it can't get any minerals, so it starts to take the minerals from your body organs which makes you fatter (not the best explaination, but hey).
If you really want to become skinny quickly, never use that (never use it anytime). You could always just wait for the next con to show of your awesome outfit.
Even then, you should always feel comfortable in your own skin. Everyone is beautiful and unique in different ways, and the sooner you relise that the better. :)

Kasinator
07-20-2010, 08:12 AM
This thread is so awesome!
It has inspired me to start drinking more water (just drunk a couple of glasses)!

I completely agree with the girl who said the whole soda is a treat like a cupcake. That is so true. I am from Australia, and I am lucky to get a can of soft drink once every month! I was so suprised to hear people saying they were limiting it to one a day!

This has been said but I just want to say it again:
- Never use starving yourself method. It puts your body into panic mode because it thinks it can't get any minerals, so it starts to take the minerals from your body organs which makes you fatter (not the best explaination, but hey).
If you really want to become skinny quickly, never use that (never use it anytime). You could always just wait for the next con to show of your awesome outfit.
Even then, you should always feel comfortable in your own skin. Everyone is beautiful and unique in different ways, and the sooner you relise that the better. :)

You got it down! :D maybe you should start giving advice to others along with us. :)

kkoganei1328
07-21-2010, 10:16 PM
I dont fully agree with the person who said to "take a cup and drink water and dont stop". Doing things in moderation is key. drinking too much water can also be bad for you, because it can cause ion imbalance that may impeded with your thinking and even muscle movement and cause people to pass out in some circumstances. Drinking water helps to flush out the excess ions in the body, however, drinking too much water forces the body to obtain ions from muscle, organs and the brain to be able to flush out the excess.

Only drink as much as your body needs, and that's it. The 8 cups a day, is an average, and an absolute, drink water based on your weight, and that number is not set in stone, more like a guideline for those who dont know how much to drink. some people will require more water, some will require less than that.

89th_Alice
07-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Only drink as much as your body needs, and that's it. The 8 cups a day, is an average, and an absolute, drink water based on your weight, and that number is not set in stone, more like a guideline for those who don't know how much to drink. some people will require more water, some will require less than that.
I agree that you shouldn't drink too much water, you'll end up flushing away all kinds of things that your body actually needs. So drink as much water as you need indeed, and keep in mind that in hot days or when exercising you'll need more water.

City-Dreamer
07-22-2010, 05:01 AM
Really REALLY bad emergency.
I have a con on Friday. That's less than a day. XD It's late at night so I'm planning on working out right now. XD I know, not getting enough sleep is a HORRIBLE idea, but ehh... can't sleep, passed out today and it's coming back to haunt me... ;~;
I think I've got a fast metabolism so I'm not too picky on the tummy right now, but does anyone know how to get rid of a little thigh fat, but more importantly... CHIN FAT? D:

Krye
07-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Just recently got motivated to workout. Don't want to be a bum anymore. XD I'm not particularly overweight - just average. Mostly due to my body type, but don't want to blame it on that. So, this thread has been really helpful. =) Will do those crunches to make my tummy more in-shape.

Here's my question though: I don't drink water much neither T^T but I drink a lot of unsweetened tea. Just your normal authentic tea-leaves and hot water (like... real tea from tea leaves - not packaged tea pouches). Not sure if that's alright? As tea helps your body cleanse and repair. But maybe not a sufficient source of "pure" water?

2DLogic
07-22-2010, 09:50 PM
One thing that, I'm sure has been mentioned before, but is absolutely helping me in my working out right now is having someone to workout with.

Right now I'm doing a run of P90X Lean and running as supplemental cardio to get back in shape for a Kyo Kusanagi costume. Alone, there is no way I'd be able to run more than a mile or so without getting bored and wanting to do something else, running with friends we're going about 5 miles each time we go.

distantarray
07-22-2010, 09:53 PM
I have a con on Friday. That's less than a day. XD It's late at night so I'm planning on working out right now. XD I know, not getting enough sleep is a HORRIBLE idea, but ehh... can't sleep, passed out today and it's coming back to haunt me... ;~;
I think I've got a fast metabolism so I'm not too picky on the tummy right now, but does anyone know how to get rid of a little thigh fat, but more importantly... CHIN FAT? D:

lol only thing I think that could potentially help is a face mask which tightens your face while you sleep, but if you don't have one already good luck! maybe bandaging your face could work, but could also make you breakout if you fall asleep and sweat a lot at night.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FACE-LINE-SLIM-UP-MASK-WARM-BELT-WRINKLE-FREE-CHEEK-/180521319627?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Face_Care&hash=item2a07e8bccb

Miyukisetsu
07-22-2010, 10:14 PM

You wouldn't be able to lose anything in that small amount of time...so I'd suggest going out and getting some medical tape. If you're wearing a wig you can use it to stretch the skin under your jaw line so it doesn't look like you have too much under your chin. I'm not positive if this is the best way to go about it, but I have heard of people doing that, so it's an option. XD

89th_Alice
07-23-2010, 04:23 AM
Here's my question though: I don't drink water much neither T^T but I drink a lot of unsweetened tea. Just your normal authentic tea-leaves and hot water (like... real tea from tea leaves - not packaged tea pouches). Not sure if that's alright? As tea helps your body cleanse and repair. But maybe not a sufficient source of "pure" water?

Unsweetened tea is just as good as water :)

anime_grl
04-23-2014, 11:02 PM
So Colossalcon is in a little over a month. I JUST found out that i might be able to go. Problem: i've been REALLY self concious about my body lately (especially after looking at pics from ohayocon..)
I know it's probably a long shot and pretty unhealthy but I was wondering if anyone could tell me how i could lose at least 20 lbs (~9 kg) or so by then.

ShezgottaSmilez
04-24-2014, 08:52 PM
water is my drug during con week