PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing Only Specific Areas of a Costume?

Champuro
05-27-2010, 05:32 PM
My cosplay partner has been wanting to do a Tenth Doctor (http://www.hennessy.id.au/quentingeorge/archives/tenthdoctor.jpg) from Doctor Who costume for the longest time, and just today we found the absolute perfect brown suit. The only problem? The pinstripes on it are white while the Doctor's are a light blue.

We've got a lot of time (and a whollleee lot of dedication) before the con we want to premier it at, so is there any precise way to hand-dye the pinstripes blue? We were thinking of using a RIT dye bath and maybe a needle of some kind, but I'm not entirely sure how well that'll work. Sharpies? Ink? What's the best method, here?

Xwolf Okami
05-30-2010, 06:27 PM
The only thing I can think of at the moment is masking off the brown parts, and using fabric paint or inks to paint in the blue stripes.

squkyshoes
05-30-2010, 07:33 PM
I was going to suggest the same thing as Xwolf Okami, only I suggest using a fabric spray paint (and I have seen light blue fabric spray paint). Traditional fabric paint and fabric makers will take a lot longer and will require a lot more product. If you soak it in blue dye there is a very large chance that 1) the dye will bleed. and 2) the suit will be blue.
When using fabric spray paint make sure to spray in layers and let each layer dry. All at once and it will bleed (I learned that the hard way)

Sarcasm-hime
05-31-2010, 12:19 AM
You absolutely do not want to do a dyebath, especially with a structured suit - it will ruin the suit, plus the blue would change the brown to a grayish-black shade.

If it's just thin pinstripes that need to be a light blue instead of white, I'd see if you can get some fabric markers in the right shade (or even use light blue Copic or Prismacolor markers, since one doesn't usually throw suits in the washing machine) and carefully darken the lines by hand.

Narnian
05-31-2010, 01:23 AM
At Joanns there are some fabric dye pens. The pens work really well for precision dying.