PDA

View Full Version : Touhou - Fujiwara no Mokou Costume

Hyren
06-01-2010, 05:25 AM
This is my very first costume for my very first con attendance, and I'm mostly wanting to run my idea for how to make the costume to see if my idea was sound, and if not to get any tips on how to proceed. I wasn't sure whether to maket his is video games or newbies, so if I made it in the wrong place I'm very sorry.

I'm also not sure if I'm supposed to post a picture of the character. If you would like me to please tell me and I'll link one.

Anyway, part of the reason I went with Mokou was because, as my first costume, I wanted something reletively simple. Mokou practically wears "normal" clothing, to the point were I could pick up a lot of the pieces I'd need at thrift stores and such with only minor modifications necessary.

I've already gotten a pair of shoes (thirty bucks, but they're nice shoes I must say. They're kinda old fashioned looking and when I saw them I immedietly knew they were perfect) so those are out of the way. Next week I was planning on going out with my friend (since he's far more fashion concious then I and knows were to buy clothing) to pick up a pair of baggy red pants and either a light light brown or white shirt. I was talking to my mother a while ago and she said she thinks she has some red suspenders somewhere, but if not I can pick them up with my friend too.

Clothing is the easy part, though. It's just a matter of finding the pieces. The only kinda tricky issue is the hair and talismans. I was planning to buy some white and red fabric and sew together some talisman accessories. My original thought was to use stiff paper, but I didn't want to wreck them with use and would rather have something that would last. The other issue is fastening them. I think I could do the hair ones easily enough by fastening a hair tie to a few of them. The one thing I'm not sure of is the ones on her pants. I thought of sewing them on to the pants, but that might not look too good, but I'm not sure. My friend said I should use pins to fasten them, but I'd be scared they might fall off, rip, or just look obviousy. Velcro could work, too, I suppose, but there is a high chance of it looking ugly. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The other issue is the hair. I had originally thought I could just dye my hair white (since my hair is pretty long) however that idea was dashed when I discovered white hair dye apparently doesn't exist, and instead I would have to bleach it do death. I like my hair and would rather not kill it. So that leaves a wig. There are costume stores near here I could get one so that's not a huge issue. The one thing I'm worried about is my actual hair showing up under the wig. I don't want to cut it and it's fairly long. Does anyone have suggestions for hiding your hair under wigs so it doesn't show?

Thank you for any tips or suggestions you might have. If I made any mistakes in making this topic please let me know and I'll try to correct them. I appreciate any help you can give.

PS - If anyone is gonna be at the Anime Expo in LA on July 1-4, that's where I'll be going if everything pans out. Maybe I'll see you there. I'd be with a friend (probably dressed as Sasuke from Naruto) and I'd probably be seen at the Touhou Costume Gathering I heard about.

kiratsukai
06-01-2010, 05:41 AM
When asking for advice on a character, always link to a reference so that we all have a frame of reference.

To answer your questions:

-When looking for ways to realize a costume, it's best to look for some references beyond 2D. Look up the character in cosplay.com 's database and at cosp.jp (you can use Tohou wikia to copy and paste the Japanese characters for her name in their photo search box). When you've collected some images of real costumes, you'll be able to see how some other people managed to interpret the character and costume elements you're unsure about. If you have questions about what was done, try PMing the cosplayers responsible for the costume with a sincere compliment and a request for advice. Most of them are happy to walk you through the process for single parts. Just don't rely on one costumer for every costume element since it will seem too much like copying their costume than creating your own.

-Wigs should be worn with wig caps. These will secure your real hair under a wig and help you avoid slips/mishaps. See the wig forum for full tutorials on how to choose, care for and wear a wig (and a wig cap).

-Consider reading some tutorials/sticky threads in each individual forum before beginning. They can give you a lot of useful general information on just about every element of costuming.

Good luck

Hyren
06-01-2010, 05:49 AM
Thanks for letting me know whether I needed a picture for my topic. I attached one to this post. I hope that's ok and that this is what you meant.

Thank you very much for your input. As I said, I'm pretty much flying blind here so every suggestion helps. I've already looked at a lot of the costume galleries here and found a few Mokou costumes and I've been looking at lots of official art, character descriptions, and fanart over the last few days to get as many ideas as I can.

I'll be sure to look over some tutorials, especially the wig one. I expect the wig will give me the most trouble. Thank you or your help again.

Edit - Anyone know where I can find red pants? I've searched everywhere and the only place I've seen them are goodwill, but none looked right. I'm at the point where I'm just planning to dye some other pair of pants red because finding red pants seems to be impossible.

Onitheris
06-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Just make sure to pay attention to some of the smaller things for a costume. With Mokou having relativly simple clothing, without the small stuff it can look like nothing much. Make sure to have the seals on the pants, and she's got lots of hair ties that cant necisarily be seen in the picture you posted, but I'm sure you know.

Just remember to wear the bow, the universal Touhou rule for character design: "If there is no decoration on your loli's head, she will die"

Hyren
06-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Yeah, I'm putting the most effort into her ofuda designs. I've gotten all the things I need to handmake each one so they are identical, and I'm putting a lot of effort into getting the design as close to official as possible.

As I was telling my friend the other day "If the costume itself is a little different it's not a huge deal, however if I can't get these seals right then the costume just isn't Mokou."

Onitheris
06-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Well, keep in mind not all of her seals are the same - even looking at the picture you linked and the several I have myself, although similar there are differences between them.

Hyren
06-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I was actually thinking of that. I'm not sure if that's the angle though. None of them are viewed from straight on. Most of them are also bent and such.

Thus I'm not sure if they're actually all different or if they just look different.

CapsuleCorp
06-04-2010, 08:31 PM
I made this costume for a customer recently. I used a lightweight muslin fabric for the seals and hair bows, which have the red lines and borders painted on with fabric paint. That way, I could sew them onto the pants and not worry about them washing out or getting damaged. Seriously, sew them onto the pants. You don't want them flopping off and having giant safety pins visible is just...no.

But you're not going to find red pants like that. Even back in the early 90's when wide-leg jeans were all the rage, I'm pretty sure no one ever made them in red. You're probably going to have to sew those. Red twill/denim is not hard to find, nor is red cotton or poly if you want to make them a little less like jeans and a little more like tailored trousers.

Hyren
06-04-2010, 11:10 PM
I was able to get pants in white and I'm planning to dye them, so that should work.