PDA

View Full Version : Good Enough to do photoshoots?

roflwaffles
06-03-2010, 03:32 AM
Howdy all!

I've been going to cons on and off for the last 3 or 4 years now, and I've just recently started photographing them about a year ago. I'm sort of interested in offering my services (for free) for photoshoots, and I'd like to know if I'm good enough. I don't wanna offer services if I'm really crappy I'd feel bad for the cosplayers if that happened. Below are a few sample photos I've taken at the SF Cherry Blossom festival and at Fanime this year.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2461/4534126654_fa6f64e89a.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2717/4533570823_8e4341effe.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2686/4533419675_0bae9d60a8.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/4652498176_17cfaaf8d1.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4658910564_880203e399.jpg

Nayara
06-03-2010, 07:31 AM
I'd say you are DEFINITELY good enough. I personally would like you as a photographer ^^ (but I live across the ocean xD)
Those are some really nice photos there. :)

TheBigTog
06-03-2010, 09:52 AM
You'll be alright...

Elemental
06-03-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm certain you'll find a lot of volunteers. The best way to find out is to just start offering your services at cons and seeing how it goes. Don't worry so much about what photographers think (That's most of the responses you'll get here) since it's the cosplayers who make the final decision of liking your work or not.

brucer007
06-03-2010, 12:19 PM
It looks to me that you have a decent camera, and you know how to use it.
I like your flattering use of natural light and your selectiveness of backgrounds.

No matter what level photographers are at, we all can get better as we gain more experience.

Go for it!

genkimami
06-03-2010, 01:02 PM
In my opinion those are great photos, I especially like your composition skills and use of dof. As a cosplayer, I would love to have my picture taken from you. Doing photoshoots will only make you improve so you should go for it.

VickyBunnyAngel
06-03-2010, 04:49 PM
You're definitely ready to start offering photoshoots. Even if you think you don't stack up against the best/most reputable cosplay photographers, remember that you are still offering cosplayers "better than point and shoot" photos, which will make the vast majority quite happy ^_^.

You also have a good aesthetic eye, and I would be happy to shoot with you....if I wasn't in Canada :P

roflwaffles
06-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks for all the positive comments, I think I'll go ahead offer my services. Trying to put together a semi-last minute trip to AX, so hopefully I'll see some of you there!

andyRak
06-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Very nice images with clean processing and good compositions. Definitely ready to handle all kind of shoots xDD

Can't wait to see around at AX ;)

cookiechan01
06-03-2010, 07:25 PM
you're wonderful!!

brucer007
06-03-2010, 11:20 PM
If you see me at AX, say hello. I plan to be there only Thursday and Friday. I'm short, but my umbrella on on a light stand is tall. ;-)

SirenaBlack
06-04-2010, 01:26 AM
Hope you can make it to AX cause I love your work!

Shichikou
06-28-2010, 02:45 PM
LOOKs awesome to me~ ^_^

yukaku
07-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Some of those are really good, others are just kind of normal. The only thing that will get you further is practice. So just practice as much as you can.
I'd say definetly offer photoshoots, you will learn so much from that. Cosplayers are always happy to get there picture taken, just go for it.
If you tell them that you are not a professional, they won't expect the world best pictures.

I would be happy with you as my photographer. You have talent.

moi_vivienne
07-03-2010, 10:12 PM
DEFINITELY great photos!

Flavored Ink
07-05-2010, 03:24 PM
These photos have very lovely touches to them. And if I dare say, that you are most definately good enough for doing photoshoots!

ANBUwasabi
07-05-2010, 05:04 PM
I think they're awesome! Plain and simple

zoeoviedo
07-06-2010, 02:37 PM
I think you have potential, i think you need to lay off a little on post production, you tweak the brightness and contrast way too much, and it makes the photo/subject look contrived and cheap (to me) but if it is your style it is your stlye, just offering my 2 cents

bluepaws25
07-13-2010, 12:52 PM
you are good! and i know people who aren't as good and they charge. i love the lighting/color.

katx
07-15-2010, 12:11 AM
This guy takes awesome pics!!! I'm so glad I signed up for a shoot with him ^^ I can't wait to see the rest of his shots from ax10

Here are some pics that he took of me ^^ I feel kinda bad though because I didn't know what I was doing, but he kept up with my lameness and I commend him for that :)
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2622730/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2622731/

Lexandra
07-16-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm not a photographer at all.
I'm a cosplayer and I would totally enjoy having pictures like these.
Your pictures are really really good so yes.

What are the other cons you go to?

korokuXneo
07-17-2010, 09:14 PM
I would definitely pay you to photograph my cosplays. I'm not lucky enough to go to AX at the moment (I live on the east coast), but it would be nice to see you around in the coming years.

NaughtsApproach
07-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Those are some amazing photo's!
I wish i could have found you at AX :3 i so would have taken up your offer of a photo shoot!

shotzgoboom
07-30-2010, 01:44 AM
Mm, these are very nice! It wouldn't be too much to hope that you'll make it up to SacAnime in September, would it?

avskull
07-30-2010, 06:09 PM
older thread never really died yet but might as well say...
depth of field is used good, perspective is good also, cant control the sun so dont expect your picture to be perfect i see them to be close enough but no one can capture perfect with out cheating with bracking.

the biggest thing i want you to too look out for is cropping pre and post picture taking. like the four person picture need to be cropped down.

SeizetsuKenSeie
08-02-2010, 01:01 PM
My only advice is to be mindful of not cutting off parts of the model's body unless it is clearly meant to be a head-shot/close-up/etc. For example, the Super Mario Bros shot has a TINY piece of Mario's foot being cut out of the composition. Stuff like this creates lines that draw your eye OUT of the picture instead of back IN. It also makes the model look short when you crop their legs like in the Black Butler shot. Cosplayers will really appreciate you making them look tall,which means including their limbs, or cutting them at the right place. You never want any important lines teetering on the edge of the picture. Are they in or are they out? Be decisive about your composition and it will help you out a lot!

Good luck!
-Shauna

Aleiki
09-04-2010, 05:27 PM
I agree with the above comment. I really loved a lot of the photos, but there were a couple instances where an elbow or a foot was just outside the picture, and if you're like me, it's super distracting. Seems like you'd be great to do a photoshoot with! I know this comment is super late but I hope you got some awesome pictures and good feedback at that con.

Max_Archer
09-06-2010, 06:46 PM
I think the photos are quite nice. The post-processing isn't what I choose to do, but it's well-done and not bad-looking at all.

I think cosplayers would be more than willing to set up shoots with you. If I can offer any advice, it would just be to make sure that in addition to the more artistic photos like the ones you posted, you should take some "boring" shots of the cosplayer from the front and rear, making sure to capture the details of the costume, and release them with only blemish fixes, but without any artistic post-processing, since the cosplayer will generally want some photos that showcase their work on the costume, in addition to the more stylized shots.

The only other thing I'd suggest is to use some method of bringing a little bit of fill light onto the faces to counteract the overhead sunlight. This can be as advanced as an off-camera flash, a reflector, or even just a small piece of white card to bounce some light back up.

dinanm3atl
09-08-2010, 12:30 AM
I really enjoy this set. I saw fire away ;)

winterwish
10-17-2010, 11:00 AM
You have nice set. I dig the bokeh thing personally =)
and I thin you're good enough to shoot for sure.
If you really need to compare, you can compare with RichardBui/Shiroin/David Yu, and to me you can see that you got the bokeh/wide thing down. IMO.

I might add if you're not confident enough to do shoots, you can always practice on your friends til you're confident enough to go "hey guys! I'm doing shoots at a con. sign up here."

There's really no bar "if you're good enough" I think. Sometimes I shoot and I end up thinking I could have done better or I see someone else's work and I go "oh why didn't I do that. I'm such a n00b." If you think like that, you're never going to be

"good enough to do photoshoots". Just experiment and be ready for criticism. ;)