PDA

View Full Version : Nia's Gems

Ika
06-04-2010, 09:30 PM
For otakon I'll be cosplaying Nia Teppelin from Gurren Lagann
http://img401.imageshack.us/i/nia33d77feeo4.jpg/

What should I use for the gems on her belt, jewelery and shoes? I've cut some styrofoam balls in half and painted/varnished them but I'd prefer a more gem like less opaque look, so they look like real jewels. Any suggestions?

Faraday
06-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Resin casting! I used it for my Nia. :) If you go to a craft store you can find this little box called "Easy Casting" and it comes with the two chemicals and the directions you need in order to create gems. You can use either little circular paint trays or a mold designed specifically to make resin crafts. You will also need to purchase resin dyes (which I have to warn you that blue+yellow dye does not make green in this case).
But I must admit: some of my gems I couldn't make smaller because they wouldn't dry for some reason so I ended up going to the craft section of Joann's and buying a multi-pack of gem-sequins there.

Other people have used those little fishtank rocks and painted them with a translucent nailpolish.

AbiChu
06-04-2010, 10:26 PM
When I did timeskip Nia, I found this package of fake jewels with flat bottoms in three different sizes at our local Hobby Lobby. Some super glue and they attached just right.

Ika
06-05-2010, 12:56 AM
When I did timeskip Nia, I found this package of fake jewels with flat bottoms in three different sizes at our local Hobby Lobby. Some super glue and they attached just right.

Pretty sure we don't have a Hobby Lobby in canada. I was hoping for something online or located in Toronto.

Kitsoru
06-05-2010, 02:00 AM
Definitely resincasting, for the bigger jewels. You can get away with smaller gems bought at craft or floral stores for the small gems, but for the big ones, if you don't want the opaque look, resin casting is the way to go. You can order casting supplies online at TAP Plastics, as they ship Internationally.

spunky-shrimp
01-06-2011, 11:35 PM
If you are in a hurry, or don't have time to sit around and wait for the resin to dry.
You should use hot glue :) I WAS going to use the resin gem kit, but school came first. SO I had to improvise. They look decent. WAYYY better than clay lol. and it looks translucent-ish xD
This method is a good plan B if resin gems don't work out. :)

liivingdeadgirl
06-07-2011, 09:45 AM
I also used resin. I made the jewels out of clay (though some I just used paint trays because they had the right shape for the jewel), then made a silicon mold and then cast the jewels in resin, mixing the dye into the resin rather than painting them afterwards. They come out transparent. You can also mix color with hot glue and use a mold release, but this is harder because hot glue tends to bubble and stick to stuff and sometimes doesn't come out very well.