PDA

View Full Version : Canon external flash

Kungfufish
06-05-2010, 10:53 PM
hi guys/gals
I have a Canon XS, old school I know, but I want to buy an external flash.
I'm just wondering if yall have any recommendations?
And is it really better to buy the canon brand ones, cause they're a little pricey or do some offbrands work with your camera just as well?

sorry if there is a thread about this, if so just direct me to it
any info would be great, thanks

K-Man
06-07-2010, 11:37 PM
hi guys/gals
I have a Canon XS, old school I know, but I want to buy an external flash.
I'm just wondering if yall have any recommendations?
And is it really better to buy the canon brand ones, cause they're a little pricey or do some offbrands work with your camera just as well?

sorry if there is a thread about this, if so just direct me to it
any info would be great, thanks

You can probably get a used Canon flash off the net fairly cheap or some of the camera stores sell used/demo flashes as well for a significant discount.

The Sigma's are a nice alternative as well.

I've used both Sigma and Canon flashes on a Canon and don't really find them that much difference in performance...Just some minor features on the Canon that might not be on the Sigma and vice versa.

The only significance might be that the Canon might have some "extra" perks to using their brand of flash rather than a offbrand. (ie- maybe the Canon will support wireless flash function while the Sigma doesn't or one has a backlit LCD screen kind of thing...Not really a dealbreaker unless you really need that function.)

But figure out what you need the flash for and then do a some searching online or in the used section of the camera store. Good luck!

Kungfufish
06-08-2010, 12:47 AM
thanks, I've been looking online at different places and speedlites and I'll probably get the 430exII
I'll look more into the Sigma brands, thanks for replying

Av4rice
06-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Love my 430EXII. I also have a couple Vivitar 285HV which work fine for being much cheaper, but they aren't as fast and power settings are a little more limited.

The Fox
09-28-2010, 12:27 AM
430ex mk I or II are nice for the money. Only things you get with the 580ex is weather sealing(not important since your body is not sealed), more power (about 40% more powerful), can master(useful, but not really reliable), stroboscopic affects, 1 more stop of power reduction and 1/3rd stop increments.

I use a 430ex and was debating the 580ex but none of those things I personally need. If I need power, I have studio strobes and so on.

Nick