PDA

View Full Version : World War II Cosplay

Zexion_Nobody
06-13-2010, 07:59 AM
I was wondering if anyone else here on the forums wears uniforms of the era to cons, either Axis or Allied, and not just for reasons such as cosplaying Hellsing.

Sakurairis
06-13-2010, 08:03 AM
We had some people doing that at a con I went to last year and they got in a bit of trouble because some military murders happened at around the same time. I personally don't think it's a good idea unless you have a particular cosplay you're going after.

ashelia89
06-13-2010, 08:43 AM
I personally don't think it's a good idea unless you have a particular cosplay you're going after.

I second this :) ,it also depends on when/where you cosplay..i dont think theres a way people could cosplay anything WW2 related here in Germany without getting into big trouble unless they were filming a real movie/documentary without approval of the goverment :confused:*if im wrong anyone correct me on this* [Nazi propaganda and items are BANNED and considered ILLEGAL over here,im not a natural resident of Germany]

I used to think the idea of cosplaying as both allies and axis would have been cool in my teenage years*I once dressed up inspired by the axis no insignias or helmets mind you,for comedy relief at home,probably 8 yrs before moving here to Germany, to make my family laugh...they were not amused...i got the hint too and felt insanely stupid/retarded for even thinking it might have ever been funny

but thats changed drastically for a number of reasons...

I dont agree with my teenage self on this anymore,not unless I had a real valid reason or a specific series*

I grew up and later on understood that its a very sensitive time period,its not your "play soldier" type of get up,you're bound to offend people and a lot of them will question why you would even want to do such a thing

and finally I got married to someone in the military...not the same war obviously,but I can't explain the level of sensitivity I have towards watching anything related to wars these days,back when I was single I loved learning about all the wars and understanding them...but that changed...having my husband deploy and see how the war changed him struck a heavy chord in me...I see military uniforms in a whole new light because of this...

I think theres folks out there who dress up and theres people who re enact as either or...
It might seem like theyre just uniforms but they carry a lot of history in them...the insignias all right down to how they wore them and the stories they tell alone by the way there all put together...

thats just my 2 cents...:bashful:

so in the long run my answer is...if i have a specific series with a real purpose ...

x-Steffi-x
06-13-2010, 08:45 AM
We had some people doing that at a con I went to last year and they got in a bit of trouble because some military murders happened at around the same time. I personally don't think it's a good idea unless you have a particular cosplay you're going after.

ESPECIALLY if it were to be from World War II. I'd be very offended if someone came dressed as a Nazi or Hitler or even wore a Swastika. Whether it's part of an anime series or not I don't care, I just think it's in poor taste.

You can cosplay whoever you want, but if you were to cosplay anything related to this, then I will frown upon you or completely ignore you.
I am sensitive on this subject and it can be an obvious reason why, I'm half German. I've put up with a lot of shit concerning this subject and I won't put up with anymore.

But everyone is different, that just happens to be my opinion.

Sakurairis
06-13-2010, 09:14 AM
ESPECIALLY if it were to be from World War II. I'd be very offended if someone came dressed as a Nazi or Hitler or even wore a Swastika. Whether it's part of an anime series or not I don't care, I just think it's in poor taste.

You can cosplay whoever you want, but if you were to cosplay anything related to this, then I will frown upon you or completely ignore you.
I am sensitive on this subject and it can be an obvious reason why, I'm half German. I've put up with a lot of shit concerning this subject and I won't put up with anymore.

I was kinda thinking "Military uniforms in Genreal" like hetalia. I would highly disagree with any heavy swastika'd outfit even if it was for anime.

Kelley
06-13-2010, 09:15 AM
My personal feeling is that WWII is still "too soon".

If someone wants to - I have nothing personal against it and don't mind.

However, I think it rubs a lot of people the wrong way, especially if it's being done "for fun" and not a clear reenactment - and I think that WWI and later reenacting faces a good deal of discomfort from the general public, no matter how respectful. They are still very recent and there is easy access to press coverage from both - there is even WWI film footage. I think it's too "real" - given the press and the fact that the uniforms greatly resemble modern clothing, whereas people can see American Civil War or French Revolution uniforms as antiquated and "quaint", something clearly different from the modern world.

I really like WWI uniforms, but I wouldn't make or wear one unless I had a very good reason. I really respect people who have a deep historical interest - I just don't think the general public is "ready" for it yet.

x-Steffi-x
06-13-2010, 09:20 AM
I was kinda thinking "Military uniforms in Genreal" like hetalia. I would highly disagree with any heavy swastika'd outfit even if it was for anime.

If it were to me general military then I don't mind but the cosplayer has to be careful. But anything World War II related I will disagree with. So will millions of other people.

Sakurairis
06-13-2010, 09:26 AM
If it were to me general military then I don't mind but the cosplayer has to be careful. But anything World War II related I will disagree with. So will millions of other people.

I completly agree with you. It's just a BIIIGG Faux Pas in modern society.

Zexion_Nobody
06-13-2010, 09:56 AM
OP here. I am very respectful of the opinions held by those placed here, yet, I do not understand the stigma attached to the uniforms (Unless it's an SS Officer or Brownshirt party supporter, for example) of the period. I have done this in the past, and encountered no problems. I think the thread got misread in that it's gist was not whether I should /wear/ it to a con, but if anyone else /besides/ myself does. I definitely agree with Kelley, in that the general public may not be fully ready. Yet what I cannot fully comprehend and find hypocritical is that if so many find the uniforms of the period offensive, why is Axis Powers Hetalia so widely cosplayed? Yes, it's an anime, but it's set in the WWII period focusing on the Axis Powers. Other than those that know about it, would the general public not be offended all the same? I'm not saying this to create upset, it's just an observation I'm making.

Sakurairis
06-13-2010, 10:34 AM
why people are still upset is because there are still people from that time period who are alive and remember it happening. My figuring is as long as someone remembers WWII it's too soon to be wearing the costumes. Don't get me wrong, I love Hetalia, but some people DO have problems with it. One of the reasons some people don't though is it doesnt really focus on the war itself, but the history of the countries. Most of the characters don't wear completely historically accurate uniforms.

x-Steffi-x
06-13-2010, 10:37 AM
OP here. I am very respectful of the opinions held by those placed here, yet, I do not understand the stigma attached to the uniforms (Unless it's an SS Officer or Brownshirt party supporter, for example) of the period. I have done this in the past, and encountered no problems. I think the thread got misread in that it's gist was not whether I should /wear/ it to a con, but if anyone else /besides/ myself does. I definitely agree with Kelley, in that the general public may not be fully ready. Yet what I cannot fully comprehend and find hypocritical is that if so many find the uniforms of the period offensive, why is Axis Powers Hetalia so widely cosplayed? Yes, it's an anime, but it's set in the WWII period focusing on the Axis Powers. Other than those that know about it, would the general public not be offended all the same? I'm not saying this to create upset, it's just an observation I'm making.

I'm not exactly being Hypocritical since when I stated in my earlier post that I get offended if someone where to dress as something based in World War II whether it was from an anime or not and this includes series like that as well as Full Metal Alchemist.

Not so much Hetalia since (well, same reason as what Sakurairis said).

ashelia89
06-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Yet what I cannot fully comprehend and find hypocritical is that if so many find the uniforms of the period offensive, why is Axis Powers Hetalia so widely cosplayed? Yes, it's an anime, but it's set in the WWII period focusing on the Axis Powers. Other than those that know about it, would the general public not be offended all the same? I'm not saying this to create upset, it's just an observation I'm making.

This is something that perplexes me also to be honest...

I dont know about Hetalia myself; I read here and there about folks cosplaying it and the name of the series is posted in the "what could be defined as offensive or non offensive cosplay" depending on the person...

I was mainly thinking about video games such as Call of Duty and Return to Castle Wolfenstein for WW2 references *both axis and allies*...

for example; theres no way -in my case and in my opinion- that i could cosplay something that in real life bothers me only to dress up later on through the context of it being an anime... let's use Hetalia for that example...it would be a double standard on my part I believe...

The stigma behind the uniforms is that when we all walk down the road we dont know the stories behind the person walking next to us...their family members/loved ones could have been in the war and for them it could be a really sensitive subject,axis or allies,you couldnt step into a ww2 veterans gathering without offending somebody and bringing back to them the things they felt...some folks are willing to bypass some of these stigmas for the purpose of re enactment's sake because thats it...its unbiased and it holds a historical purpose to it,but anything outside of that is a really touchy subject because ...well its a subject of opinion on the matter...and relativity plays in so many ways...

so do I dress in ww2 uniforms of the era?,no i dont,i thought about it in the past *for the series I listed from video games* but i didnt find reasons that justified it enough to dress for it...

Zexion_Nobody
06-13-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm not exactly being Hypocritical since when I stated in my earlier post that I get offended if someone where to dress as something based in World War II whether it was from an anime or not and this includes series like that as well as Full Metal Alchemist.

Not so much Hetalia since (well, same reason as what Sakurairis said).

No no, I didn't imply you in any of the posts. I apologize if it sounded that way. It was only an observation. Again, I apologize.

Ironhill
06-13-2010, 11:01 AM
When I was at costumecon last year, a gentleman was wearing a WWII Canadian field uniform. It was interisting to see everything that was carried by the troops back then (minus weapons of course). However, costumecon is in part a historical costuming convention so I feal it would be acceptable. It's like having the uniform at a reinactment. At an anime con I don't think it would be right. If I was going to dress in a modern costume at an anime con that were not anime specific, I think I would do what I saw at Otakon. I would make a Tokyo Search and Rescue costume with equipment.

x-Steffi-x
06-13-2010, 12:50 PM
No no, I didn't imply you in any of the posts. I apologize if it sounded that way. It was only an observation. Again, I apologize.

Oh don't worry, I know you didn't specifically mean me, I just didn't know how else to word my post that's all. But I think I've got my point across though :)

Aces
06-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Unfortunately, some people might think you're cosplaying from Craptalia.

Amanita
06-13-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm probably going to get roasted here, but I don't have anything against at least some WWII re-enactment style costumes. Personally, I would avoid nazi stuff because of its connotations. And I would not suggest wearing such an outfit to places where you're going to find large numbers of veterans. But at a con is different. If people can get away with cosplaying the likes of Saddam Houssein, Hitler, Jesus on the cross and the like, I'm pretty sure a WWII uniform is pretty tame in comparison, unless it's full of nazi symbols. As somebody mentioned, look at how many movies, video games, and other media use WWII as a theme. Is cosplaying from those sources always a bad thing? Unless you're acting in a disrespectful manner or crashing places like rememberance ceremonies, war memorials, or veteran's halls, I personally don't think it's always a bad thing to base cosplay off of WWII or other historical events.

About people in the street getting offended or upset, and there being no way to know their history- that's just it. You can't know everyone's history. But at the same time, where do you draw the line? Just about anything on this earth is going to offend somebody, somewhere, no matter how tame or controversial the subject matter. Do the people who are the most offended get to set the rules for everyone else? Or if not them, who?

ashelia89
06-13-2010, 02:00 PM
About people in the street getting offended or upset, and there being no way to know their history- that's just it. You can't know everyone's history. But at the same time, where do you draw the line? Just about anything on this earth is going to offend somebody, somewhere, no matter how tame or controversial the subject matter. Do the people who are the most offended get to set the rules for everyone else? Or if not them, who?

Thats a good question Amanita :) ,its a toughie...no one really has a way of knowing without trying...its like we're all subjected to being constant experiments of society in a weird manner...some folks stick to what they want to do and others just stay away from it,its the perceived threats people are thinking of when all of this happens...it could apply to any cosplay...just wearing a wig alone with a wrong shade of color could probably offend someone,its the play of relativity really...and life...

Amanita
06-13-2010, 02:36 PM
I've heard of people getting carped on because their natural hair is an unusual shade, or unusual length. People will get offended at anything, it seems. So really- is the onus on us to make sure that nothing we do or wear is ever offensive to anyone? Or is the onus on the offended ones in one form or another? Perhaps to ask themselves just WHY any given thing offends them, or if their being offended gives them the right to try to censor the speech or dress of others, or to ask themselves if the offending thing should really be taken personally?

Case in point- a pregnant zombie costume spotted at the Melbourne Zombie shuffle in Australia. I learned about this through a web forum, which unfortunately has gone belly-up recently. But the gist of it is this- a lady at this event dressed as a pregnant zombie, complete with baby crawling out of her belly alien-style. She carried a sign reading "Maternity benefits or death!", obviously making a political statement. She got her picture put on the 'net.

This image was seen by a lady far away from Melbourne, who had suffered the loss of a child. She referred to herself as a "babylost momma", and hung out mostly with other grieving parents, to the exclusion of most of her other friends. And she blogged extensively on facebook, myspace, or some place like that, mostly about how various things personally offended her, because they referred in one way or another to the death of a child. You can imagine how she reacted to that zombie costume! She made a hate-filled post on her blog about how insensitive this zombie costumer was, even going so far as to wish child loss on that woman, saying that she deserved it for lack of empathy for grieving parents. How dare she dress like that?

So who has the problem here? Was that zombie cosplayer solely at fault? Does she really have to censor herself to protect the sensibilities of somebody hundreds or thousands of miles away? Or was it the offended "babylost momma" who needed to step back, calm down and realize that A- the zombie cosplayer didn't dress that way as an affront to her, personally. And B- As tragic as her loss is, it's not the world's responsibility to foam-pad itself for her?

ashelia89
06-13-2010, 04:51 PM
I would say people have to learn they're not the only ones living on this Earth....other people try to communicate things too...whether they agree with them or not...its still there...the messages will come and go just as people do...the lady in the costume DOES sound pretty insensitive.*imho*..but theres laws that allow people to have a free sense of speech and communication...to censor that would be to censor outright the sense of being oneself really...the lady who lost the baby just needed to accept that theres people who dont think the same way she does...that people will have their differences...you cant talk down someone just because you disagree with them....and you cant harrass them in hopes of making them change..you cant force change...

its a mixed combination...society has its generalized claims of whats considered "off topic" and then theres the ones that are personal to people...

I know the OP of this thread meant no harm by asking who wears WW2 uniforms other than themselves,and I know you definitely didnt mean any offense either,everyone just has a different take on it really...in the end...none of us would be wrong since its our opinions based on our personal lives really! :)

things that truly would make it wrong would be harrassment,slandering and trying to hurt people...thats when it takes a turn from trying to communicate differences to trying to defend oneself...

this is just my take on the whole thing really...i spend a lot of time trying to understand how the world fits in all of these vast differences into most generalized terms...

Amanita
06-14-2010, 02:02 PM
things that truly would make it wrong would be harrassment,slandering and trying to hurt people...thats when it takes a turn from trying to communicate differences to trying to defend oneself...

I got royally slagged here for mentioning a costume idea that I had once, based on real-world subject matter. An idea that I had thought about, but would probably never actually do, due to logistical and financial reasons. (I would need a partner to make it work, and the costumes would be rather elaborate and costly). One member of this forum even admitted to snooping into my online activities beyond this board!! Wow, creepy, paranoid and stalker-ish, anyone? To say nothing of the libellous comment he made on the forum, in regards to my mental state.
All of that because he didn't like a hypothetical costume idea.

Sometimes I think people really need to remember that freedom of speech and expression *gasp!* includes things that not everybody likes, stuff that's controversial, and things that aren't always politically correct.

I didn't see the zombie woman as insensitive, IMHO. She was conveying a message about maternity benefits, and tailored her costume to the event- a pregnant zombie would be right at home at a zombie shuffle. Had it been a hippie event, she would probably have been dressed as a pregnant hippy with a great big sunflower on her belly or something like that.
I didn't see her as making fun of parents who've lost children. I can see how a parent grieving over such a loss might find that outfit hard to take. But does it give them the right to try and censor it, or scream down the person wearing it?

supergeekgirl
06-14-2010, 02:10 PM
This could have been a good thread, but you guys are really wanting a fight this week.

I clicked because I do WWII-era costuming. I know a lot of re-enactors, and while I'd love to get into that part of it, I don't have the time. Instead, I just do the costumes. I've NEVER had anyone say anything negative to me or about me when I'm in a costume or uniform. I even do MGS cosplay and regularly wear early 1960s gear, and no one thinks of it as anything but cool. And there are the guys who wear modern gear to cons not even trying to be a character.

Well, I would have loved to talk uniforms and gear on here, but looks like it's nothing but a big argument about whether we can/should wear these outfits or not. I'll come back once this opinion-slinging has died down and talk costuming.

Amanita
06-14-2010, 03:13 PM
I don't see any fighting here. On the first page, some people said they would get upset over WWII costuming, or think it's too soon. But I don't see anyone making personal attacks against you for doing it. I've seen REAL shit-fights over controversial cosplay, and this is nowhere close.

Unfortunately some folks can't seperate politics from costuming, as I've found out the hard way. Personally, I'm all for freedom of expression, and that includes costuming/cosplay. As long as you're not acting like an ass while in costume, I see no problem. I'm glad that your experiences have been positive, and nobody has given you grief for doing what you do.

ashelia89
06-14-2010, 04:31 PM
I got royally slagged here for mentioning a costume idea that I had once, based on real-world subject matter

I can see how a parent grieving over such a loss might find that outfit hard to take. But does it give them the right to try and censor it, or scream down the person wearing it?

wow im sorry that happened to you :( that type of thing should never happen to anyone...

Not one bit :) ,its still freedom of speech for everyone,it would be a double standard if they got allowed to huff and puff (the parents) about it for as long as they could draw their breath but the woman in the costume couldnt even walk in the costume anymore for getting censored later on...:lost::lost:

M_Fujiwara
06-28-2010, 02:55 AM
Sorry for possibly necroing a dead thread, but I thought this was interesting, just becuase I, too, have an interest in doing a Hellsing cosplay that focus' on a Nazi uniform

I was talking to a guy that does allies re-enactments, and he advised, in place of a swastika, using an Iron Cross. His reasoning is that it would get the general idea across without being too offensive. Most kids wouldn't fully get it, and unless you knew a lot about nazi uniforms, most people probably wont get butthurt (sorry for being blunt).

M_Fujiwara
06-28-2010, 03:20 AM
Sorry for intruding, but I thought this was interesting, just becuase I, too, have an interest in doing a Hellsing cosplay that focus' on a Nazi uniform

I was talking to a guy that does WWII re-enactments, and he advised, in place of a swastika, using an Iron Cross. His reasoning is that it 'would get the general idea across without being too offensive. Most kids wouldn't fully get it, and unless you knew a lot about Nazi uniforms, most people probably wont get butt-hurt (sorry, just repeating his words)'.

I wandered in on this thread wondering about how angry people would get/do get on average about Nazi uniforms at cons, even if it is for a specific anime. I see a lot of people raging, mostly about Hetalia, (which is cute, but not very accurate costume-wise and I don't really count Germany as a Nazi/Hitler any more than I count Italy as a representation of Stalin (remember kids, Nazi was political party)). But I digress, sorry.

I'd love to do Rip Van Winkle someday, but I really don't feel like getting my eyes gouged out or causing drama.

My friend (WWII reenacter guy) assured me that he has yet to see anyone dressed as a Nazi attacked, and he seemed relatively encouraging, but he didn't know about cosplay context but seemed encouraging (Note: he doesn't know a thing about anime).

I honestly don't think people mean any disrespect by dressing up as a specific Nazi character from an anime: I certainly don't mean any disrespect. I had three grandparents in WWII, one was even in a concentration camp.

If it's so wrong to dress up as a Nazi-themed character, than is it no as equally offensive to first draw said character and therefore put the idea in the fan's heads?

FLIPINOMAD
07-05-2010, 11:30 PM
It depends on how your doing it and what for. Whenever I cosplay anything military I always try to be respectful in everyway.

supergeekgirl
07-21-2010, 12:43 PM
I don't want to start another thread for a question I have, so I'm going to ask it here.

I'm doing two WWII costumes and wanted to get some help finding good reference for the fiber content of the costumes. This is for the historical masquerade at Costume-Con, so it's very important that I know these sorts of things through and through.

So, does anyone know a RELIABLE resource for information on the fiber content of 1945 Soviet and American dress uniforms? I don't want guesses as to what the content is (even educated guesses because I can guess "wool" myself). I need a reliable resource for that information - a book, a website, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Tsumanne
07-22-2010, 10:49 PM
I've been a WWII German historical re-enactor for 11 years and am a founding member of a group in Florida that has participated in productions for PBS and The History Channel. Hell, we even have a Kubelwagen and several motorcycles. But I've never once worn any of my WWII uniforms to an Anime or Video game related event with the exception of Comiket and Wonder Festival in Japan, but that has to do with the very generic nature of those two events and the strong presence of a WWII dedicated group of Japanese re-enactors doing multi-national impressions.

Anime and Video Game cons are for anime, video games, and related sub-cultures. Not my historically correct 3.SS Panzer-Grenadier Division Feldgendarerie impression. Which is honestly my favorite costume as I've invested years of study into it. But I save that for public history shows, museum events, and veteran's appreciation events. People go to those events specifically to see us in our WWII costumes, but at an Anime con you run the chance of catching people completely off guard. They didn't go to Artist's Alley to run into a 1944 Russian Front German field policeman.

You just have to be aware of what each con's focus is. I wear WWII costumes in order to educate those who want to learn about the horrors our grandparents endured and honor the veterans of all sides of war. Not to unnecessarily offend people. We have to remember, WWII is still in living memory. But Hetalia? A-OK. I mean, seriously. It's Hetalia lol

PS: sorry supergeekgirl, my knowledge is pretty much limited to the German side of things, but I do know that with some exception, most US and Soviet uniforms weren't made of wool. Winter coats sure, and some US units wore wool pants, but most items were of a different material. The standard Soviet combat uniform is actually this really really thin material, no idea what it's made of though.

supergeekgirl
07-23-2010, 10:50 AM
PS: sorry supergeekgirl, my knowledge is pretty much limited to the German side of things, but I do know that with some exception, most US and Soviet uniforms weren't made of wool. Winter coats sure, and some US units wore wool pants, but most items were of a different material. The standard Soviet combat uniform is actually this really really thin material, no idea what it's made of though.

Darn. I'm going to have to find some old uniforms myself. I'm doing dress uniforms. I'm thinking NKVD for the Soviet uniform, and I'm not sure what to choose for the U.S. uniform (but it would be a woman's uniform). My guess at wool is made entirely on Vietnam-era dress uniforms as the only WWII-era stuff I own is coats.

And I think the costumes will fight in just fine at Costume-Con considering it's the historical masquerade, and last year all I wore was military stuff except for during the F&SF masquerade.

Tsumanne
07-24-2010, 12:47 AM
Here's two easy to access resources. For US uniform info check out www.atthefront.com ,it's basically the Walmart of WWII US & German reenacting. Check out the photo references in the US section and they're usually pretty good about giving a basic history and construction information about each uniform product. Plus it'll give you a chance to learn the proper terms for each uniform item which will make it easier to research further. Also check their Materials section. After they finish a production run they usually sell their left over fabrics by the yard. They're the only place I'm aware of that does. And check their Links page. Atthefront has links to all kinds of resources and reenactment groups.

For WWII era Soviet stuff, I'd recommend getting in contact with the 197th Guard (www.197thguard.com). They are a WWII Soviet reenactment group that I've worked with many times in the past. They know their stuff. They might have a link or two on their website that might be helpful.

Sorry that's about all I can offer. Have fun at Costume-con, WWII stuff ought to fit in just fine there :)

supergeekgirl
07-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Great resources! Thanks so much!

FLIPINOMAD
08-08-2010, 06:14 PM
excellent websites to use! I am planning to do one of the SS soldiers from Hellsing OVA later on.

supergeekgirl
08-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Actually, here's another site for Soviet stuff: http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/uniform/uniform1.htm
I had been there before to do research for a presentation, but I found it again tonight.

I've decided to do the NKVD M1945 Parade Dress Uniform for the Soviet one. The American one hasn't been decided yet. I think I'll probably combine a women's uniform with a men's uniform in the end both because it's in character for what I'm doing, and I like getting to do a LITTLE designing for my big stage costumes.

tamachan247
09-16-2010, 09:58 PM
does anyone know a good place where I can find something close to the black SS uniform's the Germans wore. I'm trying to find a pattern but I'm stuck

Man of Mystery
10-08-2010, 04:40 AM
Deleted picture, sorry.

Jet_Texas
12-02-2010, 03:04 PM
due to Hetalia... I see more uniforms than ever....

Another source for WWII era gear is

http://www.tridentmilitary.com/Reproduction.uniforms.html

Zexion_Nobody
01-05-2011, 11:23 PM
does anyone know a good place where I can find something close to the black SS uniform's the Germans wore. I'm trying to find a pattern but I'm stuck

Other than reenactment stores, such as achtungblitzkrieg, or ioffer where replicas of the uniforms are sold, I'm not entirely sure. You could go with an Imperial Officer's outfit from Star Wars, as the uniforms were based and cut according to German Officer uniform specifications. You could also purchase an SS Officer's uniform without any patches or badges sewn in too.

Spetsnaz
01-12-2011, 03:44 AM
:wave:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8562/conneautww2.jpg

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1760/conneautww22.jpg

World War 2 Reenactor here. :)

Although, I would never wear my stuff to a convention. In my opinion, it's not the place for it.

supergeekgirl
01-13-2011, 03:16 PM
:wave:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8562/conneautww2.jpg

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1760/conneautww22.jpg

World War 2 Reenactor here. :)

Although, I would never wear my stuff to a convention. In my opinion, it's not the place for it.

At some science fiction cons and Costume-Con, it would be wholly appropriate, though. :)

ten_again
02-16-2011, 06:38 AM
If you are in to WW2 uniforms, perhaps you should try historical re-enactment?

I personally do both, and I actually rolled into this cosplay stuff from historical re-enactment.

I wanted a 1940's civillian costume for a Canadian SŻrete de Quebec agent, so I decided to have Indiana Jones' three piece suit from Raiders of the Lost Ark made. :)

There are quite a few events out there and people can provide you with loads of information on historically accurate costumes.

Revelio
03-06-2011, 08:03 AM
I'm German and I have an OC who would require a Nazi outfit, but I could never get away with actually cosplaying him. He's a good guy, but you couldn't tell from his outfit. XD

vampricyoda
03-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Well it depends. I think this sort of costume is best used for historial purposes and not convention based cosplay. Same thing boils down to any military based costume that's meant to be a prefect reinactment. I feel like that sort of costume and the time and effort it takes to do well would be better used for historical reinactment and/or tours.

You could do your costumeing, and be helpful and historically informative. (Also if you get a paying job the costume could be a tax write off lol)

ten_again
03-07-2011, 03:15 AM
(Also if you get a paying job the costume could be a tax write off lol)

Damn, I wish I thought of that years ago! :waaaah:

Somtimes photo opportunities at re-enactment events cam seem like Cosplay photo shoots though.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/5577/pathfinders.jpg

Any excuse to show people that picture again. I'm the guy with the Thompson.

supergeekgirl
03-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Damn, I wish I thought of that years ago! :waaaah:

Somtimes photo opportunities at re-enactment events cam seem like Cosplay photo shoots though.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/5577/pathfinders.jpg

Any excuse to show people that picture again. I'm the guy with the Thompson.

Hey, I'm glad you found an excuse because it's an AWESOME picture.

ten_again
03-08-2011, 02:42 AM
Thank you very much.

Well, for extra bragging rights, all of us in the picture actually jumped out of an aeroplane in those uniforms. We didn't jump with the weapons though.

Been putting some more pictures of my WW2 US paratrooper impression on this board.

ten_again
03-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Been adding some more pictures of my WW2 impressions.

Please let me know what you guys think.

sephygoth
03-15-2011, 08:50 PM
I remember in 2006 someone spoke to me about cosplaying somene from world war 2, when we asked who the person said "I dunno, just someone from WW2"
it made no sense to me, and still doesn't. I don't see this as costume play, I see it as kinda crapping on us history while using a word that doesn't even match. and considering it's ww2, that kinda turns my stomach.

we have a documentary from 4 yrs ago with a friend of mine remembering that time. Rediculous idea.

ten_again
03-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Sephygoth, just curious, do you feel that way specifically about Word War Two or about all historical costuming?

supergeekgirl
03-16-2011, 04:09 PM
@ten_again - Love your pictures! The poses remind me of real photographs from the time.

I talked at length to women at two museums today to get the last bits of information I need for my uniforms. It's been something terrible to track down the underwear info, but I've finally found the right source - the Women's Army Museum in Fort Lee, Virginia.
All of these people getting offended on here should just calm down now. The people at both museums (including the curator of one) seemed quite excited that I would make a WAC uniform to wear at conventions, and they were happy to help. To be honest, I think they're glad that someone cares enough about history to want to make accurate uniforms down to the lining, spacing of the buttons, underwear, etc.

ten_again
03-17-2011, 02:20 AM
Supergeekgirl, thank you. We do try, but it's always great to get a comment like that.

As a group we have been dealing with veterans a lot, and they were always thrilled that we were preserving history in this way.

Most of the time we do this at original locations and provide an educational function for the public as well.

If you're looking for some more detailed info about the WAC, there are several women in our organisation who do that as well and most of them have original uniforms.

Since I'm concentrating on the Canadian forces recently, most women in our group have been going as CWAC's, which as you no doubt know stands for Cutest Women in All of Canada.:toothy:

supergeekgirl
03-17-2011, 09:53 AM
If you're looking for some more detailed info about the WAC, there are several women in our organisation who do that as well and most of them have original uniforms.

I got some great info from a couple of museums including wonderful, detailed pictures, but if you get a chance to talk to any of them in the next week, I AM looking for more detailed pictures of the waistband of the 1944 OD service uniform. I'm hoping to get a couple of images from the Women's Army Museum today, but most of my focus was on underwear when I called.

And yeah, all of the veterans I've met (except my stepfather who served in Vietnam) are happy to see people wearing the uniforms from their times. I wonder if my stepfather's problem is that he doesn't want people thinking of something in his lifetime as "history". :)

ten_again
03-17-2011, 01:01 PM
I got some great info from a couple of museums including wonderful, detailed pictures, but if you get a chance to talk to any of them in the next week, I AM looking for more detailed pictures of the waistband of the 1944 OD service uniform. I'm hoping to get a couple of images from the Women's Army Museum today, but most of my focus was on underwear when I called.

I'm sure they have them, but don't know how soon I can get a hold of one of them. We usually all meet up at the end of the month.

And by the way I am glad you asked the museum about the underwear, because if I started asking my friends about that I would get a few weird looks, at the least... :angel2:

And yeah, all of the veterans I've met (except my stepfather who served in Vietnam) are happy to see people wearing the uniforms from their times. I wonder if my stepfather's problem is that he doesn't want people thinking of something in his lifetime as "history". :)

One of my proudest moments with US veterans was when William Guarnere presented me with a US parachute wing because he thought I had earned it after I had jumped out of an aeroplane in my 506th uniform. :)

By the way, I also noticed you're going to be doing Madonna from Express yourself soon. Excellent! So will that be the green dress, the black business suit or the chain? :thumbsup:

supergeekgirl
03-17-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm sure they have them, but don't know how soon I can get a hold of one of them. We usually all meet up at the end of the month.

And by the way I am glad you asked the museum about the underwear, because if I started asking my friends about that I would get a few weird looks, at the least... :angel2:

Unfortunately, they say that I'd have to take a trip to the museum (several states away) to photograph the pieces if I want pictures of the underwear now. *sigh* I have to figure out how to get ahold of pictures of those now. I can't find them in any uniform books or on any uniform websites. Well, just the slip and panties but not the girdle and bra.

By the way, I also noticed you're going to be doing Madonna from Express yourself soon. Excellent! So will that be the green dress, the black business suit or the chain? :thumbsup:

It's the suit. I'm on the last part of it now - the monocle. I also need to do a black bustier for it because I don't think a regular black bra will cut it. This is my year of cosplaying only blondes, I guess. :D Madonna, the Joy, Helga Sinclair. Badass blondes at that.

ten_again
03-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Unfortunately, they say that I'd have to take a trip to the museum (several states away) to photograph the pieces if I want pictures of the underwear now. *sigh* I have to figure out how to get ahold of pictures of those now. I can't find them in any uniform books or on any uniform websites. Well, just the slip and panties but not the girdle and bra.

Looks through his uniform books...

Seersucker drss, HBT, M-1943, shoes, hair net, handbag and even a 'Patriotic Powder Compact', but sorry no bra...

So is your husband going in uniform as well?

It's the suit.

You know I was kind of hoping it was the chain... :waaaah:

I'm on the last part of it now - the monocle. I also need to do a black bustier for it because I don't think a regular black bra will cut it. This is my year of cosplaying only blondes, I guess. :D Madonna, the Joy, Helga Sinclair. Badass blondes at that.

Absolutely.

Your Boss rocked as well, by the way.

Sorry, I kind of got curious and looked at your costumes.

Brsis
03-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Can anyone point me to some good resources or potential resources for BRITISH women's WWII uniforms of various stripes? I'm specifically looking for the UK version of the motor core (Driver's uniform) and/or any kind of RAF uniform (I know there were women manning the targeting of anti-aircraft guns - but not the shooting - and flying Spitfire delivery, but I can't find out whether or not they had uniforms or what they looked like) but I'll take the WRENs if there's nothing better going. The people I've contacted so far have mostly replied along the lines of "We can give you nurses - just be a nurse" but I am not much enamoured of the idea of being a nurse.

Plus, y'know, with the nurse hat I wouldn't be able to do victory rolls and their outfits aren't exactly suited to dancing, and I'm going to be going to a major shindig in this getup.

supergeekgirl
03-17-2011, 04:45 PM
So is your husband going in uniform as well?

You know I was kind of hoping it was the chain... :waaaah:

Absolutely.

Your Boss rocked as well, by the way.

Sorry, I kind of got curious and looked at your costumes.

He is doing a costume with me. His was actually, somehow, easier to research. It's an NKVD State Security major's service uniform. We're using them for a skit and then probably wearing them at a bunch of cons after that. The skit is called "Cold War: The Musical".

I do love the chain, including the lingerie she's wearing there, but I don't really have the body to do it. If I ever do, because I love Madonna so much, I just might. And I was really debating hard between the suit and the green dress because green is my favorite color.

No, thanks for looking at my pictures. I love when people do. I haven't updated on here since October as it's a pain in the ass getting stuff sized correctly to upload here. I put most of my cosplay on deviantART now. http://slythgeek.deviantart.com/

As for British uniforms, I'm currently useless as I'm busy in my own American/Soviet uniform world. I'll try to find some time. What's your deadline? Oh, you know... I saw a book on Amazon at one point all on women in England during WWII. Let me see...

Squeesax
03-17-2011, 08:45 PM
I love military costumes to death, but I do not beleive anywhere in the general public outside of reenactments are like, Nazi uniforms ever a good idea. I am cosplaying a character with a blatant SS inspired uniform and I will not wear it outside of convention grounds and go where it could be seen by the general public. It's not that I personally would be offended by people who wear the uniforms but, "just because they are cool" is an insensitive reason. Unless it's for reenactment or a specific character (even then, dont leave the con XD), I think it's pretty insensitive to go around wearing something that offends many people. If you're out and about in cosplay, wearing a nazi or nazi inspired uniform, the general onlooker will have NO idea that you are just pretending.

We had something happen where we were at a mall in Hetalia cosplay, and my friend told someone when they asked her what she was, that she was WW2 Germany (just lie, people. Don't even say you represent a country XD). I'm not certailn, but their accents sounded alot like someone I knew from Israel. The lady went and told her companion and she yelled back "So you hate Jews?"

While we thought it was all hilarious at the time, my friend was mortified, and later I sorta reeled over the fact that it possibly made those people insanely uncomfortable. I agree, the stuff is still "too soon". It still hits close to home for many people who are still affected by it years later even if they weren't alive during the war itself.

The only other uniforms I could think that should be avoided, probably anything from WW2 Japan, as well as the Red army uniforms. Avoid anything with the hammer and sickle too. I found out from a Chinese friend who also cosplays China, the red arm bands are beyond offensive, and she will not wear it out in public. I dunno about Italy, I guess it depends on where you live. I don't think most people know what their uniforms looked like :/

As far as WW2 US and British uniforms go, meh. No one seems to care. I've seen people eat out in public dressed as the Basterds and no one was batting eyes at them anymore then the Naruto cosplayers. Since none of it is associated with anything offensive, it seems fine to do. People will probably just assume you are in a reenactment automatically.

I think it's all just common sense, don't be out of your way to be offensive. It doesn't matter if the outfit ISN'T a Nazi uniform, if it LOOKS like it, close enough.

No one really bats an eye at the Hellsing cosplayers at conventions anymore (as long as you stay IN the convention), it's only the times we see people dressing up as SS Germany or Prussia that we feel a bit concerned. It's all in very poor taste after that seig heiling crap last year.

Volnixshin
03-17-2011, 10:46 PM

And what of they wore something that was from another axis power?

supergeekgirl
03-17-2011, 11:34 PM
And we were doing so well at having a conversation about finding info on WWII uniforms for costuming...

By the way, I'm piecing together my pattern from tons of different patterns right now, but I found a great pattern for the base of a Soviet kitel jacket - Butterick 4929. The collar and back are cut perfectly although the sleeves need some of the fullness taken out, and the front needs darts instead of fitting. I'm looking at... I believe it was the A design with the sort of skirty bit around the waist. Well, the pattern needs modified quite a bit, but it's a great base.

Anyone seen a good hat pattern that would work for a WAC hobby hat?

ten_again
03-18-2011, 02:12 AM
[Can anyone point me to some good resources or potential resources for BRITISH women's WWII uniforms of various stripes? I'm specifically looking for the UK version of the motor core (Driver's uniform) and/or any kind of RAF uniform (I know there were women manning the targeting of anti-aircraft guns - but not the shooting - and flying Spitfire delivery, but I can't find out whether or not they had uniforms or what they looked like) but I'll take the WRENs if there's nothing better going. The people I've contacted so far have mostly replied along the lines of "We can give you nurses - just be a nurse" but I am not much enamoured of the idea of being a nurse.

Plus, y'know, with the nurse hat I wouldn't be able to do victory rolls and their outfits aren't exactly suited to dancing, and I'm going to be going to a major shindig in this getup.

Have you considered the ATS? Most of the women in our club wear ATS uniforms for British.
Our site is in Dutch, but the pictures speak for themselves.

http://www.livinghistory.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8&Itemid=9
Soldier of Fortune has some of the stuff, amongst other things:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/index.asp

He is doing a costume with me. His was actually, somehow, easier to research. It's an NKVD State Security major's service uniform. We're using them for a skit and then probably wearing them at a bunch of cons after that. The skit is called "Cold War: The Musical".

Excellent! Don’t know too much about the Russian uniforms, as the war in western Europe is my speciality. But the skit sounds something like ‘Springtime for Hitler’.

Hope to see the pictures one day.

I do love the chain, including the lingerie she's wearing there, but I don't really have the body to do it.

Nonsense. I have seen your pictures. Don’t sell yourself short.

If I ever do, because I love Madonna so much, I just might. And I was really debating hard between the suit and the green dress because green is my favorite color.

I say, go for it. :bigtu:

http://slythgeek.deviantart.com/[/url]

Well, people are looking. I’ll have a look at the deviant art later on when I have more time.

Volnixshin
03-18-2011, 02:28 AM
If I used a variant uniform of my Grandfather who fought in the war, and on his behalf wore it, would that be considered historical cosplay?

Brsis
03-18-2011, 04:42 AM
Have you considered the ATS? Most of the women in our club wear ATS uniforms for British.
Our site is in Dutch, but the pictures speak for themselves.

http://www.livinghistory.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8&Itemid=9
Soldier of Fortune has some of the stuff, amongst other things:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/index.asp

Hmmm, I get a lot of variations coming up on Google Images but in principle the 'dress' uniform with the a-line skirt will work (I may even be able to sneak in some hidden gussets into a similar styled skirt for dancing, but it's already much more suitable than the Wrens). I need to rewatch Foyle's War but I managed to find out what the motor core was actually called so that's another lead (I liked the spats...). I'll check out those websites, thanks!

Now I just need to source my olive drab - I wonder if we can still sweet talk Stores...

ten_again
03-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Funny thing is, I was going to sugest watching Foyle's War to you, Brsis. We all love our Sam, don't we?

Soldier of Fortune has WLA and ATS insignia, but I believe the MTC insignia are a lot harder te find.

Depening on how much time you have for it, Ebay is your best option I would say.

Volnixshin, I guess it all depends on the occasion and the uniform in question. But I'm guessing your grandfather wasn't in the SS, so it should be allright if you ask me.

supergeekgirl
03-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Finding OD wool has proven all but impossible for me. I'm dying my own, especially when I have $125 in Hancock gift cards from the fleece contest.

The Army Museum has suddenly decided to cooperate and send me the picture I requested. I'll tell you what I find out.

These are the books I saw before:

http://www.amazon.com/World-Allied-Womens-Services-Men-at-Arms/dp/1841760536/ref=pd_sim_b_3

http://www.amazon.com/Women-at-War-1939-45-Men-at-Arms/dp/0850453496/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Not exactly British only, but I've seen some of the plates in there. They seem useful.

I'd love some good book recs that are just historical fiction set during WWII if anyone has some. I read Jackdaws by Ken Follett, and it was pretty good. I like a good character story. While I work on my costumes, I think I'm going to binge on the Marlene Dietrich movies I got for Christmas. :)

Brsis
03-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Funny thing is, I was going to sugest watching Foyle's War to you, Brsis. We all love our Sam, don't we?

I love that series so. Her real name is Honeysuckle Weeks! Squee!

It's for my Grandad's birthday party (He sort of missed VE day so we're doing it again!) so I've got about two and a half months and a convention in the middle of it. I'm probably going to end up cobbling something together quickly, but it would be nice to have it good ENOUGH that I can actually finish it up afterwards and have it decently accurate. I'd wear my (Multiple iterations removed from an actual military uniform but vaguely the right colour, I may end up using the jacket for the party anyway) Hetalia Igiko uniform but the skirt is corsetted from underbust to knee and I have a sneaky feeling I'm going to be expected to Lindy Hop.

@supergeekgirl, I'm afraid I have no recommendations beyond Empire of the Sun (Er, unless Slaughterhouse 5 counts. Which I think it doesn't) but Marlene Dietrich <3

Volnixshin
03-18-2011, 03:09 PM

Soldier of Fortune has WLA and ATS insignia, but I believe the MTC insignia are a lot harder te find.

Depening on how much time you have for it, Ebay is your best option I would say.

Volnixshin, I guess it all depends on the occasion and the uniform in question. But I'm guessing your grandfather wasn't in the SS, so it should be allright if you ask me.

Gosh no, he was on the US forces.

ten_again
03-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Finding OD wool has proven all but impossible for me. I'm dying my own, especially when I have $125 in Hancock gift cards from the fleece contest.
Iím pretty sure itís really hard to get a hold of. Most companies I know have their own fabricated in India, and that is only worth it for them because they produce large quantities of uniforms.

The Army Museum has suddenly decided to cooperate and send me the picture I requested. I'll tell you what I find out.
Excellent! Good for you.

These are the books I saw before:

http://www.amazon.com/World-Allied-Womens-Services-Men-at-Arms/dp/1841760536/ref=pd_sim_b_3

http://www.amazon.com/Women-at-War-1939-45-Men-at-Arms/dp/0850453496/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Not exactly British only, but I've seen some of the plates in there. They seem useful.
These are both books from the Osprey series, which is a great series. They always have great color drawings in the middle and explain the uniforms on them in the back of the book. But I usually prefer to get books that contain (preferably color) pictures of the original uniforms. The one that usually serves me best for US uniforms is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/GI-Collectors-Guide-European-Operations/dp/235250080X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Not such a great historical resource, but lots and lots of pictures. Unfortunately for you guys, there is only one chapter on womenís uniforms in that one.

The books I have on British and Canadian forces have even less information about womenís uniforms. I do know that there are quite a few people out there collecting them though. Used to know a guy that collected Womenís WW2 uniforms and we went to a lot of military fairs together . He was 6í6Ē and I used to joke with him that he would never be able to squeeze into those.

I'd love some good book recs that are just historical fiction set during WWII if anyone has some. I read Jackdaws by Ken Follett, and it was pretty good. I like a good character story. While I work on my costumes, I think I'm going to binge on the Marlene Dietrich movies I got for Christmas. :)
Well, it may not be historical fiction, but if the period interests you I can really recommend the books written by Stephen Ambrose. And the same goes for the books by Donald R. Burgett.
Iím reading the books by Mark Zuehlke at the momen t, as I am concentrating on the Canadian forces.
For fiction, you canít beat the classics like Alistair Mac Leanís Guns of Navarone. Even better than the movie.
I love that series so. Her real name is Honeysuckle Weeks! Squee!
I know! Isnít that like Łber cute!
It's for my Grandad's birthday party (He sort of missed VE day so we're doing it again!) so I've got about two and a half months and a convention in the middle of it. I'm probably going to end up cobbling something together quickly, but it would be nice to have it good ENOUGH that I can actually finish it up afterwards and have it decently accurate.
What a wonderful idea.
I'd wear my (Multiple iterations removed from an actual military uniform but vaguely the right colour, I may end up using the jacket for the party anyway) Hetalia Igiko uniform
You know, I had never even heard about Hetalia until I came on to this forum. But the name keeps showing up in uniform related costume threads. What is it about? A WW2 anime or something?
but the skirt is corsetted from underbust to knee and I have a sneaky feeling I'm going to be expected to Lindy Hop.
A lot of people in my re-enactment group are very much into WW2 dances and dance contests.
@supergeekgirl, I'm afraid I have no recommendations beyond Empire of the Sun (Er, unless Slaughterhouse 5 counts. Which I think it doesn't) but Marlene Dietrich <3
Slaughterhouse 5 is very poignant, because a lot of it is based on Vonnegutís personal experience. Not sure if he was actually abducted by aliens though.
Gosh no, he was on the US forces.
Interesting!
May I ask what outfit he was in?

supergeekgirl
03-20-2011, 02:05 PM
You know, I had never even heard about Hetalia until I came on to this forum. But the name keeps showing up in uniform related costume threads. What is it about? A WW2 anime or something?

Kind of. It's kind of a brief, rather convoluted history of the world, most of which, in the show, takes place during WWII.
Let me describe it a bit better. It's a series of 5-minute shorts based on a webcomic that portrays each country of the world as a person and the wars and events of history as moments in their personal relationships with each other. When countries become allies, they date or become friends. Battles are arguments or phone conversations or other such things. I'm not sure I'd recommend it. You'll pull your hair out on all of the fallacies, but it's actually kind of fun for a history buff who likes yaoi (like me). :rolleyes:

Brsis
03-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Kind of. It's kind of a brief, rather convoluted history of the world, most of which, in the show, takes place during WWII.
Let me describe it a bit better. It's a series of 5-minute shorts based on a webcomic that portrays each country of the world as a person and the wars and events of history as moments in their personal relationships with each other. When countries become allies, they date or become friends. Battles are arguments or phone conversations or other such things. I'm not sure I'd recommend it. You'll pull your hair out on all of the fallacies, but it's actually kind of fun for a history buff who likes yaoi (like me). :rolleyes:

Basically this ^.^

There isn't a huge amount of history in the series - I mean, broadly the events they actually name and date are correct but they get very fuzzy otherwise - but it's painfully cute and funny, and some of the fans are MEGA history fanatics. Er, and some of them aren't. And a five minute investment of your time is not a massive loss if you don't like it!

The uniforms are also somewhere between slightly and way off, and especially since I do female version of male characters, all of my costumes look like they belong in a high school or a fetish fair, not a parade ground ;shrug;

FalconW
03-23-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm also a WWII cosplayer, well sort of. The video game I cosplay from takes place in WWII. However, trying to find the khaki-like colored Afrika Korps uniforms aren't easy at all, so all I did was piece together thrift store clothes with some minor edits to make the uniform. Would love to find an accruate replica uniform to use.

On the point of wearing German uniforms outside of a con, some uniforms I can see a problem with, like the black SS uniform, but, in my case, unless you are familiar with the Afrika Korps, I doubt most people would see it as a Nazi uniform.

ten_again
03-25-2011, 07:31 AM
Hello FalconW,

there are plenty of accurate Afrika Korps reproductions out there, but they tens to be quite expensive. Soldier of Fortune had some good ones, but I think they sold out.

I see your point about you believing an Afrika Korps uniform to be less of a problem, but it really depends on where you are wearing it as well. I realise the swastika is far less obvious on the DAK uniform, but there are still people that are going to take offence at that.

In most countries you could probably get away with it, but I know that in the Netherlands walking around like that in public is quite liable to get you arrested. We have strict laws around here regulating the wearing of those uniforms to designated venues and for educational purposes.

I'm not saying I would object, but there are plenty of people who would. And that again would very much depend on how you behave while wearing them. If you are lecturing people about the DAK and showing them what the uniform was like, there should be no problem.

If you are however goin g to walk around giving the Nazi salute, that just wouldn't work.

Unless you gave the Nazi salute with both hands in the air, as the canadian soldiers witnessed the Nazi's do so many times when they liberated our country... :toothy:

FalconW
03-25-2011, 08:11 AM
I appreciate your response ten_again. I think I worded by posted about wearing the uniforms in public a little wrong. I more of meant if you're wearing it for a photoshoot in public. I understand that some people would not like seeing someone wearing a Nazi uniform. Like for mine, I plan to do an outdoor photoshoot with it sometime in the summer when the weather is better but will be prepared to answer any questions regarding it if someone comes up and asks me why I'm wearing it.

supergeekgirl
05-04-2011, 12:30 PM
FINALLY!!!! I've been mostly gone from the forums in order to focus on our costumes, and I finished them for Costume-Con 29 in NYC this past weekend. Here's a picture: http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/rbetzhold/Costume%20Con%202011/?action=view&current=IMG_3178.jpg

I still need a 48-star flag.

Leadmill
05-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Currently working on a Dieselpunk project based off a WW2 Brit Paratrooper.
A friend of mine who supplies a lot of kit to the re-enactment/film industry is sorting me out with all the kit needed. Most of it issue some of it repro. Will be 'punking it with custom insignia, a minigun and some other bits and bobs.

Scorpion89
05-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Hello All,

I might be able to help with many of your question regarding WWI and WWII Uniforms along with US Civil War and Rev War stuff. I'm a re-en-actor mainly I do Civil War and WWII. I also do WWI as a Pilot both Allied and German, as for WWII stuff I mainly do German Airforce and Army Air Corp stuff.

I'm not sure how many of you live in the USA or on the East Coast but if your really interested in seeing what WWII Uniforms look like up close may I suggest you try to attend any of the following Airshow. WWII Weekend Reading Penn put on by the Mid Atlantic Air Museum this is the largest WWII re-en-actor gathering in the United States this years show is June 4-6, Fighter Factory Annual Airshow at Virgina Beach VA this event is May 21-22 they always have a large group of WWII folks, Thunder over Michigan July 23-24 Ypsilanti Michigan and Geneseo Airshow July8-19 Geneseo New York. I will be at all of these show either in Uniform or flying and aircraft in the show.

For our friend in England may I suggest you try to get to Duxford for Legends not sure what the date is but a quick search you should be able to find it they have the largest gathering of WWII folks every year.

As for the girl looking for a English Womens Uniform what branch are you looking at would be my first question.

As for the person doing the Afrika Corp there are plenty of good repo uniforms out their check around most of them are priced right.

Here is an idea what Reading looks like,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pby5a/sets/72157605503587657/

Ironhill
05-06-2011, 09:40 PM
I live about 35 miles north of Reading but never went to the airshow. I think this year I should.

Scorpion89
05-07-2011, 08:46 AM
I live about 35 miles north of Reading but never went to the airshow. I think this year I should.

Yes you should this year for the simple fact that the only airworthy B-29 will be their this year. Here is a link to the Museum airshow page.

http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html

Oh and here is another reason to come.

http://www.maam.org/wwii/ww2_guests.htm

Hakaider
05-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Wow...I was just looking through those pictures, and I was very impressed with the historical re-enactor portraying General Douglas MacArthur. He really looks like the real thing! I can even picture him saying "I shall return!".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pby5a/2560872999/in/set-72157605503587657

Scorpion89
05-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Wow...I was just looking through those pictures, and I was very impressed with the historical re-enactor portraying General Douglas MacArthur. He really looks like the real thing! I can even picture him saying "I shall return!".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pby5a/2560872999/in/set-72157605503587657

Thanks yes General MacArthur does play him great now for fun can you name the other Generals around him. Also we have a guy that come's every year that does General Patton I have yet to get photo's of him doing the famous speech that Patton did (If you have scene the movie then you know which one I'm talking about) because everytime he is on stage I'm in the air doing air to air work but not this year I plan on finally shooting the speech:thumbsup:

Hakaider
05-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks yes General MacArthur does play him great now for fun can you name the other Generals around him. Also we have a guy that come's every year that does General Patton I have yet to get photo's of him doing the famous speech that Patton did (If you have scene the movie then you know which one I'm talking about) because everytime he is on stage I'm in the air doing air to air work but not this year I plan on finally shooting the speech

You have a General Patton?! And he does THE George C. Scott speech?! Ooooh! That must have been something to watch!

Wait a minute...Wow..you fly those planes too? Which one? It wouldn't happen to be a a P-51 Mustang, P-40 Warhawk, or an F4U Corsair would it?

Scorpion89
05-07-2011, 09:55 AM
You have a General Patton?! And he does THE George C. Scott speech?! Ooooh! That must have been something to watch!

Wait a minute...Wow..you fly those planes too? Which one? It wouldn't happen to be a a P-51 Mustang, P-40 Warhawk, or an F4U Corsair would it?

Yes we have a Patton if you look in the Reading stuff their is a photo of him in his WC-50 Staff Car going down the L-Bird Flight Line. And yes he does the movie speech. As for flying yes on the P-40 and F4U but I mainly fly the Warbugs or better know as L-Birds. I used to own a DH-60B Tiger Moth.

Hakaider
05-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Yes we have a Patton if you look in the Reading stuff their is a photo of him in his WC-50 Staff Car going down the L-Bird Flight Line. And yes he does the movie speech. As for flying yes on the P-40 and F4U but I mainly fly the Warbugs or better know as L-Birds. I used to own a DH-60B Tiger Moth.

Wow...You flew a P-40 and a Corsair before? That's pretty impressive!

You also used to own a DH-60?! That must have been something! Those planes were used during the Spanish Civil War & the Sino-Japanese War, and even predates WWII. Where in the world did you find that plane? Was that an actual period DH60 or a newer model?

Scorpion89
05-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Wow...You flew a P-40 and a Corsair before? That's pretty impressive!

You also used to own a DH-60?! That must have been something! Those planes were used during the Spanish Civil War & the Sino-Japanese War, and even predates WWII. Where in the world did you find that plane? Was that an actual period DH60 or a newer model?

I recover it from the woods it crash in the early 50s I rebuild and kept it for a few years sold it to a guy in England I think it is now Downunder.

I used also own a DH-82

11thDrWho
05-17-2011, 03:13 PM
I do World War 2 Re-enactments and History presentations at Schools, Comunity Groups, Vaiours historical sites and from my personal Experience of being dressed both as Allied and Axis from Verterans I have only ever recieved praise and thank yous. As one Veteran told me and my group, "You can't have a proper re-enactment without the enemy and I am proud of what you're doing." This really got to me I will be honest it brought a tear to my eye.

Now all the gear we use is authentic World War Two uniforms, weapons and memorabilia and is worn as a mark of respect and to educate people on what happened in that dark time in our History.

I hope this helps.

dagmarus
05-18-2011, 08:15 AM
http://images.cosplay.com/photos/29/2933224.jpg

Taken at C2E2 last year.

I think this sort of costume is best used for historial purposes and not convention based cosplay. Same thing boils down to any military based costume that's meant to be a prefect reinactment. I feel like that sort of costume and the time and effort it takes to do well would be better used for historical reinactment and/or tours.
I disagree wholeheartedly. I've gotten a lot of attention when wearing my Paratrooper around conventions. At CONvergence, there were people who were re-enactors (which I am not), and we were messing around because in my shoulder pocket is a recreation of a map from the period of St Mere De L'eglise, and we were messing around plotting an attack route. I usually carry a flask in one of the pockets, a zippo, and wear a Camp Toccoa shirt underneath too, just for some fun authenticity.

dagmarus
05-18-2011, 08:32 AM
ah, damn, double post.

Ironhill
06-05-2011, 12:04 AM
I just got back from the WWII weekend at the Reading Airport in Reading, PA. Very impressive. I even got to watch some 101 reinactors attack a German StuG assult gun. But now I want to start reinacting. Another hobby I'm going to spend a lot of money on.

Scorpion89
06-05-2011, 07:05 AM
I just got back from the WWII weekend at the Reading Airport in Reading, PA. Very impressive. I even got to watch some 101 reinactors attack a German StuG assult gun. But now I want to start reinacting. Another hobby I'm going to spend a lot of money on.

Yes it is, are you going on Sunday

supergeekgirl
06-06-2011, 09:54 AM
I met a few people who were going to that when I was at Marcon last weekend. Wonder if they did...

Ironhill
06-07-2011, 01:00 AM
No, I didn't make it on Sunday, wish I could have. I do plan to go to the Bridge at Remagen event in Tidioute, PA. Not as an reinactor, just as a spectator. Though I might do a WWII Civil Defence air raid warden. I saw one of those at Reading.

Zhor'Fughakee
06-23-2011, 07:08 PM

I saw some last year on eBay, maybe you could buy one there :)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/WW2-German-M32-Black-Officer-Unform-Inclu-Trousers-S-/250729843276?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item3a60a9ca4c :)

Ironhill
06-24-2011, 12:37 AM
atthefront.com is a supplier for WWII reinactors. They carry a full line of German uniforms.

doctorjackal777
07-17-2011, 07:04 AM
I've always really wanted to do Nazi SS uniform because, naziness aside it is a really smart looking uniform. I talked to some friends about it when we went out for lunch the other day and they seemed all for it. As far as uniforms go they agreed the SS ones look amazing. What do you think of me maybe wearing it to a convention? Like maybe using it as a base to do a Hetalia cosplay.

Scorpion89
07-17-2011, 02:14 PM
I've always really wanted to do Nazi SS uniform because, naziness aside it is a really smart looking uniform. I talked to some friends about it when we went out for lunch the other day and they seemed all for it. As far as uniforms go they agreed the SS ones look amazing. What do you think of me maybe wearing it to a convention? Like maybe using it as a base to do a Hetalia cosplay.

May I suggest that if you want to cosplay a German Uniform that you look at other branches try the Luftwaffe or the Kriegsmarine. I can go into many reason why no one should every Coplay anything that has to do with the SS but your seem to be a smart one so think about it first.

Personally if I was on Staff at a Kon you were attending with a SS Uniform on I would ask you to go and change.

Ironhill
07-18-2011, 12:46 AM
One of the things you have to remember when you wear a uniform is that you are showing support for what the uniform represents. At a WWII reinactment weekend it would fit in just fine but elsewhere it might cause problems. I don't follow Hetalia so I don't know if they actually use the Swasticka or SS markings. If you are just using the look of the uniform for a cosplay, you might want to remove the insignia.

supergeekgirl
07-18-2011, 10:00 AM
I agree that the uniform looks sharp, but I also agree that you're likely to be told to change. Now, personally, I understand that, at a convention, a costume is a costume, and I don't expect that people in costume actually WANT to be like their characters, but I also say that you should stay out of the kitchen if you can't stand the heat. People WILL be angry if you wear a Nazi uniform, especially if they don't recognize it right away as a character. The SS IS Nazi, not simply German military.

Brsis
07-18-2011, 01:41 PM

The SS uniform isn't used in any official Hetalia art, with or without insignia.

Aside from the convention staff likely being uncomfortable with it, you are likely to get negative responses from other Hetalia fans. As a group en mass, we have a (partially deserved, due to the irresponsible actions of some) bad reputation, and many fans are now very aware of what is going to make them look even worse. You will inevitably find yourself on 'bad cosplay' websites, being chewed over on the Hetalia communities, and any pictures that get taken will follow you forever all over the internet with cruel comments attached to them because you are not the first person to have this idea and this is what always happens.

It's just kinda not cool.

If you really like the uniform and the history surrounding it, great! Find a WWII re-enactment society or some other legitimate venue, or else keep it for private occasions. If you want something you can wear to a general convention and just really like the styling and the look of it, why not look into a military styled anime series (Something like Dolls maybe) or OC it, switch out all the insignia and probably also the accent colours, but keep the cut and the lines that make it so smart looking. Or look into the hundreds of equally (In my eyes at least) smart and good looking uniforms which are less problematic to build a Hetalia cosplay on.

Scorpion89
07-18-2011, 03:08 PM
The SS uniform isn't used in any official Hetalia art, with or without insignia.

Aside from the convention staff likely being uncomfortable with it, you are likely to get negative responses from other Hetalia fans. As a group en mass, we have a (partially deserved, due to the irresponsible actions of some) bad reputation, and many fans are now very aware of what is going to make them look even worse. You will inevitably find yourself on 'bad cosplay' websites, being chewed over on the Hetalia communities, and any pictures that get taken will follow you forever all over the internet with cruel comments attached to them because you are not the first person to have this idea and this is what always happens.

It's just kinda not cool.

If you really like the uniform and the history surrounding it, great! Find a WWII re-enactment society or some other legitimate venue, or else keep it for private occasions. If you want something you can wear to a general convention and just really like the styling and the look of it, why not look into a military styled anime series (Something like Dolls maybe) or OC it, switch out all the insignia and probably also the accent colours, but keep the cut and the lines that make it so smart looking. Or look into the hundreds of equally (In my eyes at least) smart and good looking uniforms which are less problematic to build a Hetalia cosplay on.

I agree with you 100% as someone who does WWII Re-Acting I'm with a German Luftwaffe United that is why I suggest either the Air force or the German navy they both have one offensive uniforms. If you want to Cosplay with a German Uniform then be smart about it.

supergeekgirl
07-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Aside from the convention staff likely being uncomfortable with it, you are likely to get negative responses from other Hetalia fans. As a group en mass, we have a (partially deserved, due to the irresponsible actions of some) bad reputation, and many fans are now very aware of what is going to make them look even worse.

Oh, yes! PLEASE be the Hetalia fan who knows, loves, and understands history rather than the one who wears the uniform just because it looks good. A Hetalia fan who knows the story (and implications) of a uniform is always a better Hetalia fan IMHO.

And don't think you CAN'T wear uniforms to a convention. Uniforms are awesome, but without a deep knowledge of WHAT you're wearing and an understanding of the consequences of wearing it, you shouldn't even start the project.

People loved our uniforms at ACEN. Granted, 90% of the con thought we were from Hetalia, but I knew that would happen going in. I accept and go on instead of crying over the ignorance or simple mistakes of others.

doctorjackal777
07-18-2011, 10:06 PM
My friend just suggested we swap out the insignias for smily faces and go as the SS-Smily Brigade. I dunno if thats such a good idea though.

Scorpion89
07-19-2011, 04:25 AM
My friend just suggested we swap out the insignias for smily faces and go as the SS-Smily Brigade. I dunno if thats such a good idea though.

OMG Face palm-really do you know anything about what the SS did they actually had a Brigade that sort of did what your suggesting in Poland.

Why not just do what I suggest and look into the two other German Military branches.

doctorjackal777
07-19-2011, 04:57 AM
But I'm not interested in any of the other uniforms. If I was we wouldn't be having this conversation. *sigh* Why are my friends the most open minded out of everyone here?

supergeekgirl
07-19-2011, 09:41 AM
But I'm not interested in any of the other uniforms. If I was we wouldn't be having this conversation. *sigh* Why are my friends the most open minded out of everyone here?

Okay. Guess they are. Or perhaps they're the least educated on World War II history. Don't really know because I've never met them.

Most of us are saying that, sure, you can wear the uniform, but don't whine when you get told to change or end up with your pictures all over the internet captioned with nasty things. M'kay?

Scorpion89
07-19-2011, 11:07 AM

Really maybe if you should 1 ask some question about those other uniforms 2 Try listing to what all of us are saying 3 Do some research on who and what the SS did during WWII then you might understand why we feel the way.

Speaking as a former Staff person for Comicon I can tell you this if I say you wearing an SS Uniform you would be ask to leave and change oh and this is a stander policy of most Cons in North America.

doctorjackal777
07-19-2011, 12:38 PM
I did research the SS and yes they were ordered to do some pretty horific things. But then again the Americans dropped the atom bomb on Japan and I don't see anyone banning American military cosplay on account of that. Also I don't live in America.

Brsis
07-19-2011, 12:46 PM

If you don't know if it's a good idea, assume it's not a good idea. It's an extremely touchy subject and one that's probably far better for everyone concerned if you play it safe.

Presumably if you're wanting to make up a Hetalia-ish cosplay group, you have chosen Hetalia characters or are at least familiar with the series. Look at the way those uniforms are adapted from the originals - aside from changes in cut and colour, in the Hetalia canon, the uniform insignias often get swapped out, if they exist at all, with plain squares or triangles. These are a bit more neutral, but if in doubt, take them away altogether. I'll also re-iterate the point about swapping out accent colours - you could switch the red to the colour of the canon uniform of whichever character you've chosen. Otherwise, do look at series like Dolls and Trinity Blood, for ideas on how you could adjust the details to be less offensive.

Scorpion89
07-19-2011, 03:01 PM
I did research the SS and yes they were ordered to do some pretty horific things. But then again the Americans dropped the atom bomb on Japan and I don't see anyone banning American military cosplay on account of that. Also I don't live in America.

I see your from Downunder which has law's on the books about wearing Neo-Nazi clothing IE SS Uniforms. See I know a tad more about this subject then you do, if you had taken the time to do some real research on the different SS units you would never have made the Smiley Comment, I suggest you go read up on some of the SS units that were in Poland maybe then you will get it.

Also there is a big difference between dropping the A-bombs and committing whole scale Genocide. But by your tone you come across as one of those snibbling Left Wing Nibbys.

I suggest you might want to try and go learn about actual WWII History I can point you to quite a few nice museum in Aussi and New Zealand.

Ineedaname9
07-20-2011, 05:59 AM
I personally would find it more offensive to wear the Japanese WW2 military uniform then a WW2 Nazi uniform. Then again I'm a 'Jap' from Hawaii, while yes the Nazi symbol still has a stigma against it here but the evidence of what the Japanese did in WW2 is just a 30 minute bus ride from me. A lot of people forget that while anime and manga and etc all come from Japan, their cruelty lead to one of the largest attacks on American Soil. At an anime convention, I probably be curious as to why do a historical cosplay? (I'd probably get mad if they just said 'it was because it was Japanese' though)

On that note cosplays from series that include 'Nazi' symbols (more prevalent then Japanese military) is a totally different thing. Kinda like how someone would cosplay someone you hate? The person in the cosplay is just wearing the cosplay of someone you hate. Having an attitude of don't do it breds ignorance and while some may describe it as bliss.... it just makes people stupid.

dagmarus
07-20-2011, 06:36 PM
At an anime convention, I probably be curious as to why do a historical cosplay?
Plenty of reasons. It's a costume, they like the way it looks, they wanted to wear it and don't like Anime, but enjoy costumes and socializing. Etc.

Ironhill
07-20-2011, 11:10 PM
The same reason there are Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr. Who or Steampunk costumers at anime conventions. The creators took pride in what they made and want to show it off to people who understand costuming.

I think it would be cool if someone wore a Imperial Japanese Naval uniform to a con. One reason I don't find it as offensive is because it doesn't have the stigma of the SS. Everyone remembers the SS for the concentration camps but forgets the Panzer and Grenadier divisions that fought on the Eastern and Weatern fronts.

Spetsnaz
07-21-2011, 01:02 AM
One of the things you have to remember when you wear a uniform is that you are showing support for what the uniform represents.

So does that mean I support the Nazi regime when I reenact?

What you just said is probably one of the most ignorant and moronic things I've seen in regards to reenacting in a long...long time.

You need to get your facts straight, buddy.

Scorpion89
07-21-2011, 03:59 AM
I think it would be cool if someone wore a Imperial Japanese Naval uniform to a con. One reason I don't find it as offensive is because it doesn't have the stigma of the SS. Everyone remembers the SS for the concentration camps but forgets the Panzer and Grenadier divisions that fought on the Eastern and Weatern fronts.

Ah but allot of those SS units were responsible for some of the worst crimes committed by the Germans the SS Panzer Units weren't under the German Army control they report to Himmler.

Ineedaname9
07-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Plenty of reasons. It's a costume, they like the way it looks, they wanted to wear it and don't like Anime, but enjoy costumes and socializing. Etc.

I didn't mean it like it that lol it's something I think about whenever I see a cosplayer, I phrased it wrong, sorry.

I think it would be cool if someone wore a Imperial Japanese Naval uniform to a con. One reason I don't find it as offensive is because it doesn't have the stigma of the SS..

...Are you kidding me? The Imperial Japanese Navel isn't offensive? Did you skip a bunch about WW2? The Japanese were ruthless and they are responsible for the deaths of people. Yes the German's had the Hollocaust but the Japanese had the Rape of Nanjing and the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Yes, the Japanese did suffer one of the most horrific things ever created by man but that doesn't erase what they did.

supergeekgirl
07-21-2011, 09:57 AM
This thread is starting to sound like it used to. This same argument has been hashed out at least twice on here, and no one is adding anything new. Pretty soon, we'll get the "Americans did bad stuff too!" person in, which will lead to "WW2 is too soon for cosplay!" We're already at the comparing-how-much-we-know-about-WW2 stage.

So since this argument is old and entirely subjective, why don't people who want to argue over whether we're ALLOWED to wear WW2 uniforms as costumes read over what's been said before in this thread and then move it over to LJ or something?

The facts are thus:

1. Some outfits are illegal or against the rules of a convention. Find that out before you go. Nazi insignia in some places is considered neo-Nazi support and is banned. Other places, no one bats an eyelash. Some cons even have rules on ALL military uniforms. Just play it cool, and read the rules.

2. Despite what the rules of a convention are, some uniforms are offensive to large numbers of people. This varies by the place (Japanese Imperial in Hawaii = much more offensive than in, say, Ohio) and population, and, because being offended is such a subjective thing, person to person. You either ignore it and go on or not wear the costume at all. If it's not against the rules, it's up to you. Expect to offend most people with Nazi uniforms, many people with Soviet uniforms (especially NKVD if people recognize it) a few people with German army or Japanese Imperial uniforms, and maybe a very small group of people with any uniform at all. It's a popular past-time nowadays to look back in your family history and find some reason to be offended. Pretty much all of us have done it without even thinking sometimes.

3. You should always, ALWAYS be respectful and DO YOUR RESEARCH. Know what your unit or branch did during the war. Learn what your insignia means. Be careful when wearing medals because that can offend a lot of people as well, especially American medals.

4. This is a costuming thread, so it should be about costuming. A little debate every now and then is cherished by the wisest men, but it generally dissolves quickly into name-calling and intelligence-questioning.

Thank you for your time, and carry on with the thread.

Ironhill
07-22-2011, 02:02 AM
[QUOTE=Spetsnaz;4057544]So does that mean I support the Nazi regime when I reenact?

What you just said is probably one of the most ignorant and moronic things I've seen in regards to reenacting in a long...long time.

You need to get your facts straight, buddy.[/

I'm not talking about idealogy. Most reenactors I spoke with have a indepth knowledge of where the unit they are portraying served, what equipment they used, and what hardships they experienced. They honor the veterians that served in the unit they represent.

Ironhill
07-22-2011, 02:21 AM
...Are you kidding me? The Imperial Japanese Navel isn't offensive? Did you skip a bunch about WW2? The Japanese were ruthless and they are responsible for the deaths of people. Yes the German's had the Hollocaust but the Japanese had the Rape of Nanjing and the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Yes, the Japanese did suffer one of the most horrific things ever created by man but that doesn't erase what they did.

"Isn't as offensive." Yes, the Japanese ARMY did the Rape of Nanjing, and the Bataan Death March, and other acts of cruelty in the Phiilipines and Singapore. The NAVY attacked Pearl Harbor and the near by airfields and the had a successful 6 months of operations until they were stopped at Midway.

Pvt sleepy
09-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Can anyone tell me what nationality and time period this uniform is?http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i348/crackbone42/50215_lrg.jpg http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i348/crackbone42/63745_lrg.jpg http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i348/crackbone42/63744_lrg.jpg There is a really good sale on it, and I was wondering if it was WWII era. I'm embarrassed to admit I know almost nothing about WWII uniforms.

ten_again
10-29-2011, 04:19 AM
Couldn't tell you which nationality exactly, but most likely a Nato country. The ringlets in the belt identify it as certainly post WW2, and beware that on his head is not a helmet but a standard Nato helmet liner.

supergeekgirl
11-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Specifically, I can see that the gear is not WWII accurate. If that doesn't matter, carry on. If it does, yes, the canteen is much later and in the wrong cover. The pouch on the side looks to be a U.S. pouch, but I don't think that's a U.S. uniform of any era. Anyone know more about it?

*tries to help this person out by getting others interested in this thread*

Scorpion89
11-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Specifically, I can see that the gear is not WWII accurate. If that doesn't matter, carry on. If it does, yes, the canteen is much later and in the wrong cover. The pouch on the side looks to be a U.S. pouch, but I don't think that's a U.S. uniform of any era. Anyone know more about it?

*tries to help this person out by getting others interested in this thread*

I already broke it down for him in another thread he ask about.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=251367&page=4

supergeekgirl
11-03-2011, 03:33 PM
I already broke it down for him in another thread he ask about.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=251367&page=4

Good! I'm glad he got an answer. I hate seeing people's costuming questions go unanswered.

Mr Oni
11-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Just like civil war reancting there are huge reanctment communitys for both world wars somebody has to play the bad guys and you can't do that without wearing a swastika. The uniforms these groups use are by and large 100 percent accurate reproductions. Anything less and you are called a Farb for Far be it for me to buy a real uniform. You need at least 1000 dollars dollars to get into civil war reancting for example and that's assuming you are buying used equipment. Hetalia has nothing to do with any kind of real history and yes I don't get the attraction other than female bishi porn. For cosplay something less would do but I don't want to see anything like the skit that won at anime usa that was complmented for historlcal accuracy for cosplaying the Revolution. The uniforms didnt look very made of wool to me.

Scorpion89
11-25-2011, 06:29 AM
Just like civil war reancting there are huge reanctment communitys for both world wars somebody has to play the bad guys and you can't do that without wearing a swastika. The uniforms these groups use are by and large 100 percent accurate reproductions. Anything less and you are called a Farb for Far be it for me to buy a real uniform. You need at least 1000 dollars dollars to get into civil war reancting for example and that's assuming you are buying used equipment. Hetalia has nothing to do with any kind of real history and yes I don't get the attraction other than female bishi porn. For cosplay something less would do but I don't want to see anything like the skit that won at anime usa that was complmented for historlcal accuracy for cosplaying the Revolution. The uniforms didnt look very made of wool to me.

Not sure were your getting your $1000 for Civil War to get a total Rep Uniform will set you back between 300 to 500 and that includes all of your leather and brass. Now if you want to add a rifle/sword and pistol then your looking at around 5 grand. As far as WWII German reactors wearing the Armband not sure your know your history please show me outside of certain SA Units and SS Units no other German Military Unit wore the Armband.

As for the Rev. stuff I think the reason they complemented. was because unlike other folks I've seen wear Rev period stuff they had the actual correct colors/markings and over uniform, I could ask one of the judges about it if you like.

Mr Oni
11-25-2011, 09:04 AM
You have to include the cost of the rifle which start at about 500 bucks. so yes a basic civil war outfit is over 1000. The weremacht had swastikas on there helmets and field caps. The Luftwaffe did also. Maybe you should learn your history a little better there were no good guys in germany the weremacht commited attrocities without the help of the ss. It really blew my mind when the french girl said it is very old wine it is vintage 1812!.

Scorpion89
11-25-2011, 11:41 AM
You have to include the cost of the rifle which start at about 500 bucks. so yes a basic civil war outfit is over 1000. The weremacht had swastikas on there helmets and field caps. The Luftwaffe did also. Maybe you should learn your history a little better there were no good guys in germany the weremacht commited attrocities without the help of the ss. It really blew my mind when the french girl said it is very old wine it is vintage 1812!.

First off I think you better go back and read some of my post if anyone in this thread know about German Uniforms it would be me I've been doing Living History of German Units for 30 Years so yea when I say that only certain SA and SS Units wore the Arm bane you bet I know what I'm talking about.

As for the Civil War Rifle not sure were your getting your price but I just purchase a non working 1863 Sharps Repeater for $2100 the cheapest working Civil War Rifle starts at $1500 and goes up from their.

Ironhill
11-26-2011, 11:56 AM
When I was looking at getting into the Civil War reenacting back in the early 90's, the group I talked to said it would cost around $1000-$1200 for all the uniforms and the weapon. I couldn't afford it at the time so I never got involved. I'm sure the price has gone up now.

Mr Oni
11-26-2011, 11:29 PM
First off I think you better go back and read some of my post if anyone in this thread know about German Uniforms it would be me I've been doing Living History of German Units for 30 Years so yea when I say that only certain SA and SS Units wore the Arm bane you bet I know what I'm talking about.

As for the Civil War Rifle not sure were your getting your price but I just purchase a non working 1863 Sharps Repeater for $2100 the cheapest working Civil War Rifle starts at $1500 and goes up from their.

Ok nowhere in any of my posts did I mention a swastika armband thats all you but the german army as i said all had swastikas on their head gear. Only a complete retard would bring a real civil war rifle to a reanactment. http://fcsutler.com/fcweapons.asp check out this link most of them are made in Italy or india.

Scorpion89
11-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Ok nowhere in any of my posts did I mention a swastika armband thats all you but the german army as i said all had swastikas on their head gear. Only a complete retard would bring a real civil war rifle to a reanactment. http://fcsutler.com/fcweapons.asp check out this link most of them are made in Italy or india.

Really huh did I say it was an original Civil War Sharp no I said I just purchase a non working one for that price as for the link I'm very aware of Fall Creek stuff if you actually had read what the website say on each weapon it give a price for Jan but it also states to call none of their guns go from less then 1500. I actually own one of their Fremount which I purchase a few years back and checking the bill of sale for it was 957.67 that included tax and shipping.

And no most of the stuff is made right here in the USA, Euroarms has a plant in Penn that they are closing at the end of the Year Armi Guns are made in Germany and England the company has it HQ in Rome but operated all over Europe. This is not a discussion you really want to get into like I said you can't get a working Civil War Rifle for under 1500 Dollars period.

Oh and I know quite allot of Reactors who bring real Civil War Rifles to many events why not they still are in working order, I take it you have never been involved in this type of Living History so here is some advise go and look up US Civil War 150t Anv events find one near you go out and talk with us who do this you will get a very large eye opener on how much stuff really cost and you might actually learn something.

As for the German stuff the original discussion was about the SA and SS Arm bands only a complete moron would know that all German Patches and Insignia had the Swastikas in them. The discussion was about what not to wear to a Con not what we who do living History wear, maybe if you had spent the time in going back and reading the thread you would have got that instead of walking into a discussion half blind.

So inclusion if you want to get into doing US Civil War reacting it will set you back around 5 Grand, if you decide to do WWII Era Cosplay don't do any SA or SS German Units since you would have to wear the Arm Band.

Mr Oni
11-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Really huh did I say it was an original Civil War Sharp no I said I just purchase a non working one for that price as for the link I'm very aware of Fall Creek stuff if you actually had read what the website say on each weapon it give a price for Jan but it also states to call none of their guns go from less then 1500. I actually own one of their Fremount which I purchase a few years back and checking the bill of sale for it was 957.67 that included tax and shipping.

And no most of the stuff is made right here in the USA, Euroarms has a plant in Penn that they are closing at the end of the Year Armi Guns are made in Germany and England the company has it HQ in Rome but operated all over Europe. This is not a discussion you really want to get into like I said you can't get a working Civil War Rifle for under 1500 Dollars period.

Oh and I know quite allot of Reactors who bring real Civil War Rifles to many events why not they still are in working order, I take it you have never been involved in this type of Living History so here is some advise go and look up US Civil War 150t Anv events find one near you go out and talk with us who do this you will get a very large eye opener on how much stuff really cost and you might actually learn something.

As for the German stuff the original discussion was about the SA and SS Arm bands only a complete moron would know that all German Patches and Insignia had the Swastikas in them. The discussion was about what not to wear to a Con not what we who do living History wear, maybe if you had spent the time in going back and reading the thread you would have got that instead of walking into a discussion half blind.

So inclusion if you want to get into doing US Civil War reacting it will set you back around 5 Grand, if you decide to do WWII Era Cosplay don't do any SA or SS German Units since you would have to wear the Arm Band.

You are the man!!!! I must not have any experience in anything to question you so you go!

redsheep
02-23-2012, 02:36 PM
ignore

redsheep
06-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Any buffs be willing to answer a question?

I'm doing a cosplay of Peggy Carter from Captain America. Can anybody tell me what the pins on her lapel (http://comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/27306/PEGGY_CARTER_hayley_atwell.jpg) would be? They're not the ones I've seen on WAC uniforms. They may just be something the costume department put there to look good, and if so what would be similar? I need something to go off of when I start shopping around.

Makarov92
09-27-2012, 02:29 PM
I am currently working on a 101st Division Easy company reenacting kit. I have a lot of stuff to buy, and a long way to go. But so far, a M1 Helmet, and an airsoft 1911.

Also just a general note for everyone here, keep three things in mind.

A: You are going to be wearing/acting in the same garb that many people fight in and died in. Just keep that in mind, and play/show the part with respect (for whoever you reenact as).

B: Be careful what medals and stuff you wear. There are some medals (at least in the US) that are illegal for non recipients to own/wear.

I realize this is a WW2 related thread, but just keep this in mind.

C: Don't take credit for any military action unless you are an actual vet. I have met people who "reenacted" in modern US military gear, and claimed to be vets. Even though they weren't. Its a stupid thing to do, a dishonorable thing to do, possibly illegal, and it might get your ass beat.

annamouse
09-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Any buffs be willing to answer a question?

I'm doing a cosplay of Peggy Carter from Captain America. Can anybody tell me what the pins on her lapel (http://comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/27306/PEGGY_CARTER_hayley_atwell.jpg) would be? They're not the ones I've seen on WAC uniforms. They may just be something the costume department put there to look good, and if so what would be similar? I need something to go off of when I start shopping around.

They are Strategic Scientific Reserve insignia designed and made for the movie.

They are similar to the "ruptured duck" pins given to honorably discharged service men and women after WWII, but not quite the same.

good luck :)

tommy_gun74
01-26-2013, 10:42 PM
I was wondering if anyone else here on the forums wears uniforms of the era to cons, either Axis or Allied, and not just for reasons such as cosplaying Hellsing.

Personally i would go for Allied uniforms to avoid those people who get offended easily. Go for a 101st airborne Look. They tend to get a lot of attention. But remember that when you are cosplaying is a historical era uniform to make sure that what you are wearing is correct to the time period.

The only Axis uniform you could have without offending people would be a Japanese uniform. Which I don't understand why when they killed more civilians in WWII than the Nazis did. But, stuff to make a Japanese wwII uniform is very hard to find do to the fact its not as big in the Re-enacting community as US VS Germany types.

IenzoRenaNipah
04-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Like Squeesax, I love military uniforms to death, but wearing them outside of cons/re-enactments/house is NOT a good idea.

In my opinion, I don't think it's okay to wear a fully detailed, 100% accurate uniform at a con. Especially with a swastika. If you do that, you're begging to get beat up. On the Hetalia note, since their uniforms aren't that accurate, I believe it's okay. (As long as the Anime Boston 2010 incident doesn't happen again!)

That's my take on the situation, so.... *flies away*

dagmarus
04-24-2013, 08:36 PM
I used to wear my 101st Airborne jump jacket around, and I always got a favorable response. Once, I was at a McDonalds and an 80 something year old guy came up who was IN the 101st in WWII came up and talked to me for a bit, and said it was like a blast from the past. There was another con where I wore a dress uniform (the ONE time it fit me) with the pea cutter, and we went out to eat, and two older ladies looked like they were having flashbacks. Another time, I wore it to a memorial day celebration at a military cemetary where they do the timeline and actually had a WWII vet thank me for wearing it that day. I've had a lot of good reactions to it. But yeah...doing so in a uniform that ISN'T American (or one of our allies) would probably get some pretty negative responses.

Scorpion89
04-25-2013, 06:37 PM
I used to wear my 101st Airborne jump jacket around, and I always got a favorable response. Once, I was at a McDonalds and an 80 something year old guy came up who was IN the 101st in WWII came up and talked to me for a bit, and said it was like a blast from the past. There was another con where I wore a dress uniform (the ONE time it fit me) with the pea cutter, and we went out to eat, and two older ladies looked like they were having flashbacks. Another time, I wore it to a memorial day celebration at a military cemetary where they do the timeline and actually had a WWII vet thank me for wearing it that day. I've had a lot of good reactions to it. But yeah...doing so in a uniform that ISN'T American (or one of our allies) would probably get some pretty negative responses.

No not really I do living history as a German from a couple of different units all Luft stuff and I have never had any issue's from vets. But I also would never wear a Dress Luft Uniform to any type of Cons

Boreotheria
05-02-2013, 10:00 AM
No not really I do living history as a German from a couple of different units all Luft stuff and I have never had any issue's from vets. But I also would never wear a Dress Luft Uniform to any type of Cons

I suspect that people who are going to educational and reenactment type events understand more that someone has to play the Nazis, and that you're doing it as an actor and not because you espouse the beliefs of the political party whose uniforms you're wearing.

At a convention there's probably more of a sense that in general people play characters they like or identify with, and you might get more of a side-eye if you dress up as a Nazi-inspired fictional character like one from Hetalia or Hellsing.

Ranger Soldat
07-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Prejudice makes me sick... What is wrong with what somebody wants to wear? If somebody wants to wear or like German Uniforms, so what? My whole life I have been taught to be Tolerant, not prejudice, accept others and not to judge... The whole thing is hypocritical... No body cares if you wear a Soviet Uniform and Stalin Killed 20 Million or so. Nobody cares if you wear a Commie Chinese Uniform and they killed 60 million... Lets not even start about how many Cultures Christianity has destroyed...

German Uniforms and German Cosplay is very cool... I guess its ok for a Transexual to show up wearing a diaper, but not ok to wear a Uniform designed by Hugo Boss... If the Third Reich is so offensive tell Hollywood to stop portraying them in movies so they can make millions and millions of dollars...

eBay Sniper
11-20-2013, 01:05 AM
I might be necroposting here....

Not sure if anyone else who is in the actual military (or were) posted here. So, I figure I'd add my two cents, and excuse me if these were brought up earlier.

When it comes to era reenactment, I think its perfectly fine if someone wears to a con. In a sense, the person probably did put as much research time and money into a reenactment uniform. Trust me, this stuff isn't cheap if you do anything prior to the 80's...

And personally I don't think anything bad if someone young is wearing a uniform from the past. As long he isn't defiling a fallen member's uniform or something like that (you'll find that a lot of collectors/reenactors will only wear reproductions out and not originals, this being one of the reasons). Also, there are reenactors of all ages, even those not old enough to be allowed to join the military. My main thing is as long they aren't wearing modern day uniforms with the proper branch tapes and insignia, and definitely as long as they don't take it anymore than a cosplay/reenactment/costume. With that, I mean lying and impersonating a military member for some sort of gain. That is the real problem, right there. Generally though, most reenactors have a great respect of the actual military and history not to do anything like

Now, when it comes to wearing uniforms that are "less then acceptable", in terms of Nazi uniforms and the Swastika mainly, you really have to be careful with it. Yes, I have to hark on the whole Anime Boston 2010 thing myself. I don't think it deserves to be at a con, unless you are a specific character, and with that, still don't have the Eagle, Swastika, SS runes and skulls and such all over. If you came in a Nazi SS uniform, with out the markings, you'll get your point across and a lot of people would be made happy. Keep the markings for hollywood, reenactment, plays/stage, or anything museum or historical related. And of course, be mature about it.

And, I do have the same feeling as a lot of others might have with the Nazi uniforms. Even though the Nazis were the epitome of modern day evil, you can't digress that their uniforms and technology was absurdly stylish. So, then what do you to cosplay something like that to a con, you might ask?

Easy, cosplay something that has been artistically inspired by them. Ever since JinRoh and the Kerburos Saga, there has been plenty of Nazi based designs, without the Swastika or any of the legit markings. Even now, there is an entire game series which the bad guys are based off the Nazis and JinRoh; Killzone. Plenty of good designs there to choose from. Plenty Nazi without the Nazi markings.

Eh, just my two cents though. The way I basically feel is, its cool if you do, "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery" or something... As long you aren't pretending to be an actual military member and lie about it to everyone. Now, THAT IS NOT COOL BY ANY MEANS.

thompa
11-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Nazi SS uniform

If you were a member of the Wehrmacht or SS you weren't allowed to be a member of the N.S.D.A.P (Nazi party) and if you were a member you had to resign your membership if you joined up.

XxEmo SasukexX
12-09-2013, 04:03 AM
I'm in the process of getting a paratrooper uniform together and was planning on wearing it to a con but then I stumbled across this thread. Do you think it would be alright to wear this to a convention? I planned on wearing it to Otakon.. I've been very excited about it but I never thought about people taking offense to it.

eBay Sniper
12-10-2013, 02:13 AM
The real question lies with what country and if you planned on wearing any symbols? Like the Swastika or the Eagle holding it, etc etc.

XxEmo SasukexX
12-10-2013, 01:26 PM
It's going to be a Band of Brothers cosplay--101st Airborne Division. It will have that patch and I was thinking about the US Airborne flag patch but that's it.

eBay Sniper
12-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Oh, that should be fine then. You should only worry about patches and insignia if you are doing a Nazi, lol.

Scorpion89
03-08-2014, 07:25 PM
It's going to be a Band of Brothers cosplay--101st Airborne Division. It will have that patch and I was thinking about the US Airborne flag patch but that's it.

Well if your going to do something from BoB may I suggest you do some research because the type of Screaming Eagles Patch they wore on D-Day is different then the one that the present 101st use, also when you say your going to do a Paratrooper outfit our you talking about what they woe after hitting the ground or what thy wore on the drop, because the two are very different and since you plan on wearing this at Otakon if you decide to do the Drop Uniform then you might find it rather hot to wear. Don't forget when they jumped while it was June 6th the outside temp coming out of the Goonys was 12 degrees hence why they had heavy jackets on plus they carried everything in their bags.

If you live in Bmore or Penn may I suggest you try and attend WWII Weekend Airshow at Reading Penn it has the largest gathering of re-actors including 4 different Screaming Eagle Units you can get a better idea on what they wore plus they do a jump, this year the German Airborne Unit I belong to will be doing a jump for the first time.

Rcsi1
06-22-2014, 09:22 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but can anyone recommend a tutorial for making a prop M1 Garand?

Star Schnauzer
06-24-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but can anyone recommend a tutorial for making a prop M1 Garand?

Might be easier to buy a resin copy of one...most are under $300