PDA

View Full Version : Street Fighter style gloves

ender
06-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Hey all~

I'm working on some Street Fighter cosplays for my friends, but I am definitely not up to making pvc/pleather/foam etc gloves. I thought they looked like MMA grappling gloves (I was close, but the MMA gloves have formed fingers instead of the flat knuckle cover the SF gloves have), but was thinking that they're probably based off a real style of Japanese fighting- does anyone have any insight on this? Specifically, I need to get gloves in order for a Dan Hibiki and Sakura costume.

THANKS ALL.

Solai Tsukada
06-17-2010, 06:32 AM
:D Me and my husband are cosplaying Dan and Sakura this year. I was going to make our own gloves. If you want, I can make a tutorial, if they turn out nice, so you can use it too.

PuyoDa
06-17-2010, 10:17 AM
When I made my Sakura costume, I couldn't find gloves I liked for it. I ended up making them with sheets of craft foam and matte spandex. You can see them here:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2593223/

They weren't too hard to do. If you'd like to try, here's sort of a guide on how I did mine. I hope it's not too confusing XD;;
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8375/sakuraglovesguide01.jpg
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/363/sakuraglovesguide02.jpg

ender
06-17-2010, 08:29 PM
You guys are awesome, this is super helpful!! Solai, I'm making these for Otakon (lolprocrastination), so I'ma go off of Puyo's tut, but I would LOVE to see yours when they're done.

Thanks again gaaaaaiz ;__;

PuyoDa
06-18-2010, 02:00 AM
Glad to help! Here's the order I did things:

Hand part
1. Cut out identical pieces of craft foam (however thick you want it) that is the shape of the back of your hand. Glue them together.
2. Cut out a cover for them that extends past the bottom part (pointing at the wrist).
3. Before sewing the cover together, I take a strip of fabric, form a circular band with it, and sew it to one side of the cover, which will be the part that your hand goes through.
4. Sew the cover together, leaving the long side open.
5. Stuff the craft foam in. Sew the cover close as close to the craft foam as you can.

Wrist part
1. Cut strips of craft foam that can wrap around your wrist. Leave extra room so they can overlap.
2. Create a cover for the craft foam.
3. Sew on pieces of velcro where it comes together.

Then, I just sewed the long end of the hand part to the wrist part, leaving a little room between them.

Good luck!

Solai Tsukada
06-18-2010, 06:22 AM
Puyo, those are really nice, and actually very similar to how I thought they should be made. :D

aznwolverine
06-20-2010, 04:40 AM
Glad to help! Here's the order I did things:

Hand part
1. Cut out identical pieces of craft foam (however thick you want it) that is the shape of the back of your hand. Glue them together.
2. Cut out a cover for them that extends past the bottom part (pointing at the wrist).
3. Before sewing the cover together, I take a strip of fabric, form a circular band with it, and sew it to one side of the cover, which will be the part that your hand goes through.
4. Sew the cover together, leaving the long side open.
5. Stuff the craft foam in. Sew the cover close as close to the craft foam as you can.

Wrist part
1. Cut strips of craft foam that can wrap around your wrist. Leave extra room so they can overlap.
2. Create a cover for the craft foam.
3. Sew on pieces of velcro where it comes together.

Then, I just sewed the long end of the hand part to the wrist part, leaving a little room between them.

Good luck!

Ttttthhhank you so much. These gloves always bother me.

I always mention how hard Capcom makes their gloves to make in real life. They are fun to draw, and seem like a simple cool design at first glance, yet much more complex when it comes to actually making them.

The diagram confirmed how I thought they are done. Your gloves came out perfect just like in the game/mangas. I cant wait to try it and I'll link to your tutorials when I finish the gloves.

PuyoDa
06-21-2010, 02:55 PM
@Solai Tsukada: Thanks! I can't wait to see yours too! =D

@aznwolverine: I'm glad my tutorial helps! Yeah, I thought it'd be easy to find their gloves on fighting supply stores but apparently not. They weren't so bad to make at least :3

ender
07-11-2010, 01:36 AM
Thanks so much for the help guys!!! Here's the finished costume! http://yfrog.com/5m5w2uj The glove tutorial from Puyo is PERFECT. I can't thank you guys enough. <3

PuyoDa
07-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Your costume looks great, ender! I'm glad the tutorial helped! =D