PDA

View Full Version : Gyaru Lifestyle

milk&honey
06-17-2010, 03:50 AM
I know this doesn't necessarily belong here, but it's the closest place I could think of as to where I could make a thread like this. Here's the thing: Lately I've been wanting more and more to transform my daily wardrobe & overall style to a Gyaru look, more specifically, Ganguro. I'm currently a 19 year old male in a state where there isn't much discrimination, almost everyone I know is very open minded and enjoys odd things.

Have any of you Lolita/J-Fashion folks had experience in reactions you typically get to wearing such crazy things outside a con/your home? I really enjoy Ganguro and the overall look of it, it reminds me of summer and vibrant colors, which I absolutely adore. The makeup will be a bit more subtle, though I'll still be super tan with the white eyes, though a bit more controlled.

So my question to all of you is: How many of you live a Gyaru lifestyle, if so, which, how long have you been dressing this way, & what should I expect when I walk out the door?

Thanks guys!

HimeNoKokoro
06-17-2010, 09:20 AM
I'm only a beginner gyaru myself, I started dressing in the style around 6 months ago after discovering Universal-Doll's Gyaru Blog (http://universal-doll.com), but I say go for it! I too am living in a place where discrimination isn't much of a problem. Occasionally old ladies will give me a strange look but for the most part, people love the way I dress because it's so original! Not to mention, the amount of comments I get on my nails.
I'd say, expect some strange looks and maybe a rude comment at first, but after a while people will accept you and your style.
Good luck to you. I think Ganguro Gyaru is so fantastic! I hope I helped somehow~

StrawberrySiren
06-17-2010, 09:39 AM
My friend always dresses in raver gear. To a Catholic school. It's all good. We love her for it! Not exactly the same thing, but it's pretty darn crazy.

UsakoLuna
06-17-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm confused... I googled gyaru and everything that came up for pictures either looked like a buch of Japanese women dressing like a fashion magazine, or in frilly dresses (not Lolita) or people who looked orange... So, um, what exactly is gyaru?

StrawberrySiren
06-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Well ganguro is this (http://japan-powaaa.cowblog.fr/images/2/4310527.jpg). At least to my understanding.

infinitydragon
06-17-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm confused... I googled gyaru and everything that came up for pictures either looked like a buch of Japanese women dressing like a fashion magazine, or in frilly dresses (not Lolita) or people who looked orange... So, um, what exactly is gyaru?

Gyaru has a massive amout of variaties, alot of it is basicly a japanese interpritation of western fashion.
the frilly dresses that aren't lolita is most probably himegyaru and there is a few gyaru subsets that have various subsets that are a varity of shades of orange.

-----------------------
A lolita forum is probably the worst place to ask about gyaru lifestyle and reactions to gyaru around.
We have loads of stories of reactions to lolita, there's probably a few lifestyle lolis to varing degrees, a few other fashion styles too, but gyaru specificaly, you would have better luck elsewhere.

Lithium Flower
06-17-2010, 06:39 PM

Sort of how Westerners want to emulate Japanese fashion, the Japanese emulate America's 'Cali girl' fashion. There's different extremes of it as with everything, some people go very heavy on with extreme make up and obsessive tanning which is what your more likely to find in a google search. I personally don't care much for it so I am not that familiar with it's details.

Eleksin
06-17-2010, 07:21 PM
I don't like ganguro because, to be honest, it does not look the least bit pretty to me. Fake orange tans are not appealing. D:

However if it is really something you want to pursue then go for it. You might be able to change my mind. :D

aSigh
06-21-2010, 01:46 AM
i used to dress as the gyaru style. now im more likely to dress gyaruo.
but, i found personally my reactions received were to be hit on a lot and sometime in scary ways. gyaru r attractive and stereotyped as very sexual, so some ppl like this idea..
i was never ganguro, manba, hime, i was gyaru like ::
http://www.koji-honpo.co.jp/tsubasa/lineup/images/pic04.jpg
so i guess depending on the style u wish for u will look different.

fabrickind
06-21-2010, 02:14 AM
Isn't ganguro horribly outdated? I mean, it's cool to wear what you want, but gyaru is a fashion all about being as fashionable and up-to-the-minute as possible, so it seems odd to want to wear an older style of it.

I personally really like some aspects of gyaru... himegyaru is my favourite, but I also really like some of the Popteen-style stuff just for everyday, casual wear. I'm a huge fan of miniskirts and heels, so it seems like the perfect fashion for me.

One of the main problems with gal is that because it is broad and ill-defined, with vastly different styles within it (and you are basically gal if you follow the gal trends and styles, so it's not something like lolita where there is a definite look to it where you can take something out of any lolita magazine from almost any time and say for sure that it is or isn't lolita), it's really hard to get into. Universal Doll (the link was already provided) is a great resource, though, since it breaks down all the latest trends, gives tips, has Q&A segments, etc., and really discusses what makes a gal a gal. It's something where you need to work at it and really keep up the maintience of it so that you don't fall out of fashion and so that you can truely be gal (and not just someone in a miniskirt).

Really, about the only reactions I've gotten in semi-gal outfits are positive ones, since girls think I'm cute and guys think I'm sexy. It's a pretty normal-looking fashion compared to something like lolita. As a male, you'd get some different reactions, but you said that you live in an open-minded area, so that's great.

ImASleazoid
06-21-2010, 02:30 AM
I love Gyaru, I have friends who are Gyaru and Gyaru-o.
Even being a girl, I love dressing as close as i can to Gyaru-o style. Even Host styles.

harleyquinn01
06-21-2010, 10:28 AM
I don't do gyaru but I have been wearing lolita clothes to school on an everyday basis and yeah my school mates giggled behind my back after giving me fake compliments but that's what you get in modern day society were booty shorts are more acceptable then frilly dresses. meh go for it it will get better as time passes. Who knows maybe you'll start a trend wherever you are

Siffel
06-28-2010, 09:01 AM
I thought I saw something like this called "Kogal." I remember it being associated with tans and floppy school girl socks. Is it similar?

fabrickind
07-01-2010, 02:09 AM
The term kogal is still used to refer to a young gal, but the style you are referring to is very outdated (super bleached hair, dark tans, white makeup, loose socks, etc., right?). The style has (thankfully!) evolved quite a bit since then.

http://universal-doll.com/
That blog has a ton of good info on gal fashion, what is currently on trend for the various substyles, etc.

celticfreefall
07-01-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm not trying to knock gals or anything, but in a western environment ganguro looks like black face. If you don't know what black face is, you might want to google it. It's not something you'd probably want to wear. Though, like the others have said, I'm not sure why you picked ganguro since it's really outdated (according to a gal friend).

Flora88
07-01-2010, 02:35 PM
The original poster said that he'd be doing a lighter version of the makeup, so I don't think he needs to worry too much about blackface. :)

Chirudesu
07-01-2010, 03:33 PM
I loooove gyaru and I try to follow it, but I don't wear the fashions too much. I practice the makeup sometimes too. I started with ganguro a few years ago, and I got some strange looks, but mostly curious questions, so people shouldn't bother you too much if you're in an accepting area! Anyways, I think you could do it if you want to, but ganguro specifically isn't really in style anymore, neither are the more extremes like banba. It's more about basic gyaru now. Either way, good luck finding what suits you!

xMira-chan
07-03-2010, 11:16 PM
I love the Gyaru fashion and lifestyle~ It's really a great fashion to get into and I highly suggest it. The site I use for all my Gyaru needs is http://www.ricoche.net/
It's the best site for learning all about the sub cultures of the Gal style including Yamanba, Ganguro, Manba, Gyaru, Himegyaru, Gyaruo, Bgal, and many others. There's also a lot of great people on there that will be willing to help you with anything you need, plus, there's plenty of fellow male Gyarus!
Unfortunately, I don't really have a personal experience with dressing in Gal fashion in public, but I know plenty of people on Ricoche do. xD I would think that it all depends on how you present yourself out in public. Gyarus aren't much different then other people, except for the fact that their quite the trendsetters, but other than that, it probably won't be a big deal. Yamanba and Ganguro though... That's a different story. Despite it being an out-of-date style, there are still a few of them left and most of them still are quite over the top. Dressing in the Yamanba and Ganguro styles is a big step because your just asking for a lot of ridicule. I personally love the style, but as you know, there are a lot of people out there that would find it strange and probably make fun of you. If your really willing to go all out in Ganguro, I say go for it! And you said that your community is quite accepting, so that makes it all the more better to go out there and dress the way you like. :3

Lycorisa
07-04-2010, 08:49 PM
I personally has no care in the world for ganguro or manba. They aren't apealing to me ...I do like himegyaru but they remind me of child beauty pageants for some reason... To me Lolita is the best fashion :). If you like gyaru go for it :).

Eleksin
07-04-2010, 08:53 PM
lol Lycorisa I know what you mean

Illinafli
07-04-2010, 11:35 PM
ganguro is the polar opposite of emo <3 if you compare it. hilarious right? I am a fail ganguro cuz i dont tan, even with tanning aids!

UsakoLuna
07-05-2010, 12:56 PM
I don't get the need to be orange... But if it makes you happy go for it.

fabrickind
07-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Yeah, even though I like himegyaru, I still think that a lot of the girls look like child beauty pageant victims...

Moogles123
07-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Um...why do you care, posters? If you don't dress in gyaru in public, then you aren't answering his question and therefore should not be posting. Ridiculing him and putting his style down just isn't cool. Not all of you are doing it, but some are.
Some people could argue that Lolita makes you look like a victimized child beauty pageant contestant as well. Frilly dresses + big hair = the same fricking thing as Himegyaru for example.
I love both the gyaru fashion and the lolita fashion. You're going to come across things you don't like it life. Instead of TELLING people you don't like their adored fashion, why don't you kindly keep it to your self?

infinitydragon
07-07-2010, 06:55 PM
This is a specificaly lolita forum, not a j-fashion one.
Someone came onto this lolita specific forum asking about a style which is effectivly the antethisis to lolita, don't be surprised when people say they don't like it/say things against it.

fabrickind
07-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Um...why do you care, posters? If you don't dress in gyaru in public, then you aren't answering his question and therefore should not be posting. Ridiculing him and putting his style down just isn't cool. Not all of you are doing it, but some are.
Some people could argue that Lolita makes you look like a victimized child beauty pageant contestant as well. Frilly dresses + big hair = the same fricking thing as Himegyaru for example.
I love both the gyaru fashion and the lolita fashion. You're going to come across things you don't like it life. Instead of TELLING people you don't like their adored fashion, why don't you kindly keep it to your self?

Err... I think you're a little too touchy about this.

I personally love gyaru fashion (especially himegyaru), and I didn't really see anyone ridiculing the OP about liking gyaru. I saw some people saying that they personally don't like it (but are cool with whatever the OP chooses to wear), but I don't see any flat-out ridiculing. As an honest, non-snarky question, can you point me to the posts where people were being mean? I'm curious what you mean.

milk&honey
07-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Haha, well now this thread has been moved to an appropriate forum, so I guess that solves that problem. As for wanting to pursue an outdated fashion: I'm totally aware on how ancient this particular style is, though there's something odd and entrancing about the ganguro look that I just can't help but enjoy. Mind you, I'm not in any way going to tan myself until I'm orange, or wear so much makeup that I look like a clown. And, being in the west gives me one advantage; though it's dated in the east, here in the west where not too many are aware of its impact, i can wear the style without this being too much of an issue.

but yeah, i'm aware it's not exactly the prettiest thing around, but something about the darker tan and peculiar makeup attracts me like a moth to a flame. but i am also a huge fan of hime style, though the only reason i'm not practicing that style is because i'm still not too sure on how i, a male, could pull it off. haha

fabrickind
07-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Well, that makes more sense. Thanks for clairifying~

I think that you should go for it, regardless of if it's outdated, but at least you are aware of that fact. People may look at you oddly because of the makeup, but really, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I think that one of more common things you will get is people thinking that you are a drag queen (like how lolitas often get Little Bo Peep comments, haha), but that's not that big of a deal.

Are you planning on wearing the old clothing styles too or are you going to update the clothing using the neweser trends while still keeping the old makeup?

Moogles123
07-14-2010, 08:17 PM
I was referring to people calling it an "ancient" and "out-dated" style, as well as saying "I don't feel the need to be orange" and saying "it looks like a victim of a child beauty pageant". That is ridicule IMHO, but I don't know where you stand on it. People take things different ways, and I took all those comments offensively.

But the OP has clarified their feelings on the matter so that's all that matters. ^^;

Milk&Honey; I suggest you check out Ricoche.net if you already haven't. There are some other male Gyarus on there that look pretty spiffy. And they talk a LOT so you could probably get some excellent advice there.

fabrickind
07-19-2010, 08:42 PM
I don't see how pointing out that an outdated style is outdated is ridicule, since it's true. It would be like telling someone that powder blue leisure suits are outdated -- I see it as more fact than ridicule. Thanks for clairifying, though.

89th_Alice
07-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Even if you say it is outdated, it still exists. Many 'old' gyaru styles simply continued to exist as a sub-fashion. So while you don't see them as much now, the style still exists.

If you want this, then go for it! While I would never have the guts to wear most of the clothing myself (although my coat is a gyaru brand...) I actually kind of like the style. You just can't deny they are fashionable.

noi
10-10-2010, 09:51 PM
I think you should definitely wear what ever style of gyaru you like, "in fashion" or not. I think there's a really good gyaru comm on lj that caters to all forms of the style. If I can remember what it's called, I'll give you the link :)

surprise!
10-17-2010, 05:52 AM
wait, okay so gyaru is basically japanese girls emulating western fashion...

and so you're an american who is dressing like a japanese girl who's dressing like an american?

i think i just got really confused.

siuxsiu
10-31-2010, 08:40 PM
I would highly recommend not doing ganguro. It's extremely outdated. It came before manba/yamanba, and now that's outdated. Banba would be socially acceptable to a certain extent (IMO). Banba is the lighter version of manba. But to be honest, I think if you wanted to pursue a gyaru lifestyle as a guy, I would recommend doing OraOra-kei. Here is Universal-Doll's post (http://universal-doll.com/2009/11/ora-ora-kei-and-trend-rising/) about it.

divine_fanaticy
11-04-2010, 10:39 PM
I think a lot of people are focusing on the makeup, but it seems like you're also considering the clothing. I think for today's clothing it would basically translate to beachy clothing mixed with raver clothing. While the ganguro clothes are very neon, you may want to keep more toned-down colors in your wardrobe as well simply because neon is a bit hard to wear and look at on a daily basis and may not be appropriate for all occasions. I'm not sure how it would translate to masculine clothing but you can find some skater-style items and raver/cyber clothing in neon colors.

Chistina199
11-25-2010, 12:14 AM
I love Gyaru fashion, been following it for a year now. used to be a Lolita but I still love both of them equally and sometimes still wears Lolita ;3

Like others said 'Ricoche' is the best Gyaru forums.
If you feel uncomfortable about other people saying Ganguro is outdated etc. how about trying the lastest Manba style? It's similiar ;)

You put little white make on the eyes, a thin line down the nose and some just skip doing the lips or do the lips and little on the nose.

This is a good tutorial:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa38/amerigals/gya1.gif

Most Manba these days or the most that I've seen in lastest magazines are like this make up, and they just wear slight neon clothes but more intune to the lastest fashion.

Good Luck! and do what you want, don't let other people give you crap~~ ^^

yuya_valentine
12-03-2010, 09:21 AM
I can personally guarantee that the kind of gyaru in which girls try to imitate cali girls (you know, the ones with super fake tans and colored hair) is dead. Haven't seen one girl dressed like this in forever.

Baranegex
01-05-2011, 12:58 AM
There's all types of gal fashions; I miss the saike fashions but since trends come and go I ignore most of the trends now and focus on what I think I look good in. Still working on coordinates but I can't say I can classify as an EXACT fashion gal ex: rock style. I can never stick to once since I want to try them all :)

Vicky.Bjorn
01-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Gyaru is split into many different styles ... I prefer Hime Gyaru (princess gyaru) and Onee gyaru (more mature, classy gyaru). Ganguro is a bit outdated... of course there's still ganguro's out there. This is typical gyaru nowadays http://patrickmacias.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/30/aku2.jpg . I'm doing a 'gyaru cosplay' at the next Japan and anime convention I'm going to. I call it cosplay because I will exagerate the look (and use a pink wig) and it will be like dressing up (kinda like Lolita girls.. you can consider it a fashion style or you can dress up as a Lolita now and then).

toshirua3846384
01-08-2011, 09:10 AM
gyaru has a lot of "sub styles" within the group, and i actually don't mind it. Also not all gyaru people are required to have a tan you know, some are called ganjiro and don't have a tan however partake of the gyaru dress style. Also its not about being orange, depending on the said type "gal" and depending on the person really decides if your shimmery or not, just putting it out there. Also its not all ways about trying to be a valley girl, some of my friends are onee gyaru (thanks to their parents lol) however they on the other hand are also college graduates. Not only that but some people who do "gyaru" just do it for the fashion really like yours truly. And to some people it can be a confidence booster of just dressing nicely too.The ideological views behind being gyaru really just depends on the person.

toshirua3846384
01-08-2011, 09:12 AM
There's all types of gal fashions; I miss the saike fashions but since trends come and go I ignore most of the trends now and focus on what I think I look good in. Still working on coordinates but I can't say I can classify as an EXACT fashion gal ex: rock style. I can never stick to once since I want to try them all :)

I pretty much do the same thing too; it seems like fur is in fashion right now though like fur boots that look like uggs and furry types of purses and knitted/furry sweaters to

Yukina<3sYokubo
01-17-2011, 08:11 PM
In all honesty, I don't really like Ganguro because I think personally I would look horrible if i tried to do it but white hair is cool. orange skin, naaahhh.

ImASleazoid
01-18-2011, 08:54 PM
I love Gyaru, but the older sister look. I tried the sub genre Ganguro once xD Too much makeup for me lol
Gotta look into all the subgenres of Gyaru. I love Gyaru-o <3 http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cLi-hh4odPg/TALkMAKtCoI/AAAAAAAAAQk/AHF8dvo5yzY/s1600/onii.jpg
more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyaru-oh
I find it very fashionable.
not all sub-genres of Gyaru require a tan though, I've seen Gyaru without tan and it looks good. Older sister look of Gyaru I really like too. I find the fashion of Gyaru more nice then regular western fashion? Just imo.

MeltyButter
01-20-2011, 05:09 PM
I've been dressing gyaru for about a year now and it's been really fun! I mainly go for the very casual hime-gyaru style and do it full on when it's a good day. :) To me looks don't really matter but all I've gotten are compliments. Everyone thinks I look like a doll, especially my asian friends!

Marywilliams
06-15-2011, 05:54 AM
I think of Gal as a very beautiful and somewhat intensive fashion.

lilylosh
06-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Wear what makes you happy!!! Just be prepared for ppls reactions. Be able to laugh at yourself and not take things seriously. Get too defensive and you will be eaten alive!!