PDA

View Full Version : Anime Detour

Pages : [1] 2

CuteButDeadly
09-18-2003, 03:51 PM
I know this isn't for I long wail but is anyone going to Anime Detour?

CapsuleCorp
09-18-2003, 10:44 PM
I was contemplating it. It's sort of in my neck of the woods, and would give me an excuse to go fabric shopping at SR Harris warehouse. :) The flyer I picked up at CONvergence says it's March 26-28, right?

grandis
09-19-2003, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I think I'm up for Anime Detour.

I'm hoping to have my Belldandy done for it, anyway. Yup, I've succumbed. :)

Also the Pirotase reboot should be up and running, although I'm wearing her during the day. ;)

Grandis

CuteButDeadly
09-19-2003, 03:03 PM
The flyer I picked up at CONvergence says it's March 26-28, right?

Yup those are the right dates.

CapsuleCorp
09-19-2003, 10:01 PM
Good. Early enough I can tentatively plan on it. :) There's no other cons around that time, anyway, it won't interfere with anything in my schedule that I know of.

I wonder if the saiyan armor project will be flying by then? Hmm...

Miyazawa
09-22-2003, 05:43 PM
I can't wait. It's the first con in Minnestota, and about 15min. from my house. I'll surely be there.

www.animedetour.com

CapsuleCorp
09-23-2003, 10:59 PM
Ah, thanks, I was going to ask about a website for more info.

Considering there was a point at CONvergence this year when there were more anime costumes than sci-fi walking around, I have high hopes for some fun cosplay opportunities. :)

Faith's Mistres
11-25-2003, 05:02 PM
I love you all!! I live in Iowa and i'm soo there! Me and my friends are going to do the princess dress form Sailor Moon it'll be soo cool!!!
Se ya there.

CapsuleCorp
11-25-2003, 09:39 PM
*gasp* Kyle Hebert! COOL! There's a guest I can get into, I think Dende will have to make an appearance... (whoa, didn't know he was Karasu. *geeks*) And the saiyan armor if it's done, and Hiei, and...and...

Wow, looks like this con's got a lot of fun planned.

PorcelainSakura
11-28-2003, 01:53 AM
OMG some else from convergence! *huggles*

The flyer I picked up at CONvergence says it's March 26-28, right?

Yup those are the right dates.

CapsuleCorp
11-29-2003, 03:52 PM
Oh yeah? Who were you at CONvergence, PorcelainSakura? I had a bunch of costumes, I was in the Masquerade as Luminara Unduli with the glow sticks, but was also at various times Yugi, Goku, and in a can-can dress.

PorcelainSakura
11-29-2003, 04:02 PM
That was you? Totally shibby!
I was Noelle form Tenshi Ni Narumon on friday, and Arwen in the masquerade (my mom was Frodo). My family also ran The Prancing Pony so I was sooo busy this year between that and volunteering, I didn't get to talk to a lot of people that wish I could have met ^_^

Oh yeah? Who were you at CONvergence, PorcelainSakura? I had a bunch of costumes, I was in the Masquerade as Luminara Unduli with the glow sticks, but was also at various times Yugi, Goku, and in a can-can dress.

CapsuleCorp
11-30-2003, 04:13 PM
Oh, Arwen! Aha! LOL we were totally hanging around each other in the Masquerade green room and didn't even know it. Beautiful dress, by the way.

Well, heck. A glance at the Anime Detour website shows me it's got a lot of really fun stuff planned, with room parties, a dance, and some neato guests. I'm definitely in, with DBZ, YuYu Hakusho, and Yu-Gi-Oh costumes to spend my weekend in. I'm so mainstream.

I'll see if I can't get a couple other pals from Madison to come up with me, too. I know some of the kids (heh) in the college Anime Club who would be up for it.

PorcelainSakura
11-30-2003, 04:50 PM
I know Convergence is planning to have a room party there. Are you going enter the stage/hallway cosplay?

Oh, Arwen! Aha! LOL we were totally hanging around each other in the Masquerade green room and didn't even know it. Beautiful dress, by the way.

Well, heck. A glance at the Anime Detour website shows me it's got a lot of really fun stuff planned, with room parties, a dance, and some neato guests. I'm definitely in, with DBZ, YuYu Hakusho, and Yu-Gi-Oh costumes to spend my weekend in. I'm so mainstream.

I'll see if I can't get a couple other pals from Madison to come up with me, too. I know some of the kids (heh) in the college Anime Club who would be up for it.

CapsuleCorp
12-01-2003, 08:14 PM
Stage, probably not. I've competed myself out, I think. Hall cosplay, we'll see. I find I have more fun when I'm not stressing all weekend about competition.

CONvergence room party? I'm there. :)

CapsuleCorp
12-11-2003, 07:35 PM
*punt for the sake of ScottArtsXD* Yep, lots of us going. Well, "lots" is a relative term, I guess...

ScottArtsXD
12-11-2003, 09:44 PM
I made a post about it before I realized someone else already had (oops) but I'm definatly gonna be at Anime Detour (I am Minnesotan after all) I'll definatly be sporting my Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Cloud costume, and hopefully is I can get it done in time my costume of Zero from MegaMan Zero

ScottArtsXD
12-11-2003, 09:46 PM
lol, thanks for the bump.

CapsuleCorp
12-12-2003, 10:20 PM
Cool! Yeah, no prob about the bump. I saw your thread and thought to myself, "I know we had one going around here SOMEwhere." :)

eek, Max300 gives me nightmares...

ScottArtsXD
12-13-2003, 06:31 AM
It used to give me nightmares too, but I finally passed it about 2 weeks ago, I've passed it about 15 times since. (Here's hoping its in whatever mix Anime Detour has for their DDR tourny!!)

KnivesMoFO
01-11-2004, 01:41 AM
Hopefully I'll be there, sporting Vincent from ff7

Hyperion
01-13-2004, 09:50 PM
I hope to be going as well. It will be my first cosplay (hopefully) as well as my first convention. My costume will be an original Sora costume (design drawings in Game Cosplay:Kingdom Hearts). I hope it's as much fun as I think it will be. I think it will open my knowledge on anime (which is virtually non-existent...lol). I live about 20-30 minutes away, depending on how fast I can drive (I get my lisence in 8 days...16th birthday in 6 days)

-Hype

CapsuleCorp
01-15-2004, 10:49 PM
Drive safely, Hyperion. :)

I'm dragging along a friend who enjoys cons and costumes, but has never tried anime cosplay before. I'm making him a Starblazers uniform - he's quite old school. But, I'm on the lookout for fellow DBZ, YuYu Hakusho, or Yu-Gi-Oh cosplayers to meet up with for cool photo ops! :)

CuteButDeadly
01-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Dose anyone know how the weather is in Minnesota in March? My Mother tells that that time of the year is when Minnesota has blizzards. She doesn't want me driving through a blizzard even though she will probably come and be the one driving because she likes to see all the costumes and take pictures.

MyLeonheart
01-17-2004, 01:22 PM
bleh i wanted to come but i might not able to.....but does any one live in Alexandria MN???

MyLeonheart
01-17-2004, 01:28 PM
hummmm minnasota in march....well thats a gamble, some times it's nice but it can turn BAD in a sec... i memeber march 16th 2002 the weeks befor were verry nice but then a blizzard came by and it snowed.. my step father was driving me to the twin citys to the airport so i can go to caliafornia and on the way back..... he smashed his trick up cuz it was soo slipery so if you gunna drive up there meember to lissen to the weather ok? and maby since your a new driver it;s not the best idea spechley if you dont have verry much experience driving in the city....... so yea that my speel ok well take care

~LeOn~

PorcelainSakura
01-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Dose anyone know how the weather is in Minnesota in March? My Mother tells that that time of the year is when Minnesota has blizzards. She doesn't want me driving through a blizzard even though she will probably come and be the one driving because she likes to see all the costumes and take pictures.
Right now things are pretty nice, snow has all melted and the days are getting much warmer. Usually its February that things get bad if they do. But if you're close enough to drive (in Iowa,Wisconson, etc) your going to get the same weather.

CapsuleCorp
01-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Yeah, far as I know the weather in Minnesota in March isn't any different from that of Iowa or Wisconsin. I made a road trip up there about that time last year for fabric shopping and didn't have any problems.

January and February are when you get the blizzards. :) Latest we've had one I think in recent years has been March 1st - and it was gone a couple days later.

Michiru_chan
01-17-2004, 08:36 PM
i will definitly be going, it'll take a lot to stop me lolz. it'll be my first convention, so i'll want to go all out with my costume. if i can ever get a good idea. . . . .

ScottArtsXD
01-20-2004, 09:38 PM
Nothing's stopping me from going to Anime Detour, considering now it looks like I'll have to miss Ohayocon due to really stupid reasons (My friends all backed out on me a few days ago and now I don't have a ride or anyone to share a room with.) But considering I only live about 15 minutes from the Twin Cities... I don't think I'll have that problem.

Hyperion
01-21-2004, 09:56 PM
Hopefully I get my car soon (Looking at 94'-97' Ford Probes(heh...probe)), and I will be able to race my self out there in less than 30 minutes. I looked at a 94, but the engine was crap... he drove the hell out of it...need to find a GT probe...

Anyways I am still excited... Still havent started my costume yet,,,

-Hype

CapsuleCorp
01-22-2004, 10:32 PM
That's okay, you still have time, Hyperion. :) Although I have started on my Gohan costume, but only because I also have commissions to do. There's never enough time in the universe for it all!

TurtleJill
01-23-2004, 03:24 PM
I'll be attending. And I have three costumes too. : 3

Hyperion
01-23-2004, 03:43 PM
I know what days it is on, but what times does it start and end?

Thanks for any answers!

-Hype

TurtleJill
01-23-2004, 03:46 PM
I know what days it is on, but what times does it start and end?

Thanks for any answers!

-Hype

I don't think they put up that yet. I think with most cons they start at noonish and on the last day end around noonish, but that won't help you much. : ( Sorry.

ScottArtsXD
01-23-2004, 08:23 PM
I've only ever been to one con before (Though I've made plans to go to 6 now... but my plans keep falling through.) But yeah, I noticed things got started around Noon or so... but I never really noticed when things "ended"

CuteButDeadly
01-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Most of the cons that I have been to had there opening ceremonies between 12:00-2:00 and closing ceremonies between 2:00-5:00 on Sunday.

Hyperion
01-25-2004, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys/girls. I know I can make it now. I gots me a car. (I seem very excited. Could you tell. lol) Wee. Still haven't started on my costume. Need to get off butt and find materials.

-Hype

Hyperion
02-02-2004, 09:14 PM
I have another question!:

Does everyone that attends the convention have to register, or is that just for skits/competing/what ever else you want to call it? I hope not, but it's okay if it is.

I've found a few buddies of mine that want to come. One wants to be Squall, another buddy wants to go to look at the hasians in skimpy school girl outfits(he's a hentai...lol...but I can't blame him) and I think I might drag along my sister. I don't know if I could get her into a costume, but I think we could modify her semi-formal dress into a unique Yuna ish costume, or maybe I'll find so cool J-rocker/popper to model herself after.

-Hype

TurtleJill
02-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Yes, you need to do the basic registeration to get in and whatnot (pay the fee ect), other than that, none is needed unless you want to be part of anything. Like Skits, ect.

Hyperion
02-02-2004, 09:46 PM
Blah... Poopy. So whats all included in that? Food, drinks, entertainment? Meh?

-Hype

CapsuleCorp
02-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Registration allows you to go into the con. It's like paying for a concert ticket. If they have a consuite, that would be free food, but that's usually just snacks and nothing to live on for three days. If you don't register, you can basically stand by the hotel front desk and not go anywhere or see anything except people walk in and out the door.

I'm so stoked, I finished my Yami Yugi stuff this weekend, so I will be in full effect! Now's the time to start looking for other Yu-Gi-Oh cosplayers I guess. ;)

PorcelainSakura
02-02-2004, 11:23 PM
You don't HAVE to pre-registar, you can pay at the door, but pre-registration is usually cheaper.

ScottArtsXD
02-03-2004, 02:21 AM
Yeah, pre-registration generally is cheaper.

Hyperion
02-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Okies! Thank You much everybody. Scott... If I finish my original KH Sora Costume we will have to a some photos together. Blah. But first I still need to start. lol. Luckily I talked to one of my friends and he is really into costume making (Not anime, but he has made a Darth Vader, Neo/Anderson costume, and right now he is working on a Frodo costume) so hopefully I will be able to go over to his house and start making the costume. He also said He could help me make my keyblade out of plastic which is awesome too. I really hope I make something!

-Hype

ScottArtsXD
02-03-2004, 08:30 PM
Of course! I've got a friend of mine working on the coat for Sephiroth, so I should definatly have it done in time for Detour.

Hyperion
02-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Cool! A friend of mine told me that he thinks cosplay is hi - larious, but then he told me that he would only cosplay Seifer. Sort of an oxymoron.

I think I am just going to do KH2 Sora. I hate my designed costume, so hopefully I will be able to make it. No experiance sewing, but my friend does, and so does my sis. Yay. I'm going to the 2nd hand store this weekend to find clothes and what not.

-hype

todd13
02-04-2004, 07:46 PM
I should be there, hopefully as Samurai Jack. But either way I should still be there, it will be my first con. So I'm looking forward to it.

Hyperion
02-04-2004, 08:53 PM
Cool! Hope to see you there Todd!

-Hype

CapsuleCorp
02-05-2004, 09:50 PM
Dude, Samurai Jack rocks!

Man, I so need to pre-reg. I have the form, just haven't printed and sent!

Hyperion
02-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Yeah same here. Ofcourse I still need the 35 dollars first. I only have 15, and thats going towards my costume and blade, and whatever other moneys I can get my hands onto!

-Hype

todd13
02-05-2004, 11:17 PM
the name on my ID badge will be Todd. i figured that way i dont forget who i am. lol or even Samurai Todd or Todd13. any suggestions? hope to meet all of you, if i dont get all shy and sit in the corner. lol

CapsuleCorp
02-06-2004, 11:06 PM
I usually go with my board name by default...if I figure there's going to be a fair amount of people going who will recognize it. I usually change costumes so many times that trying to put one character name on my badge is pointless.

but that's just me. :D

TurtleJill
02-06-2004, 11:09 PM
hope to meet all of you, if i dont get all shy and sit in the corner. lol

Hey now, the corner near the wall is mine. Lol.

PorcelainSakura
02-07-2004, 04:25 AM
same here ^_^

I usually go with my board name by default...if I figure there's going to be a fair amount of people going who will recognize it. I usually change costumes so many times that trying to put one character name on my badge is pointless.

but that's just me. :D

todd13
02-07-2004, 09:54 AM
TurtleJill, there are four corners to every room, so theres plenty of corners for the 2 of us. I'll take up 2 of them myself. lol. Maybe thats exaggerating. 1 1/2 max then. Or we could just sit in the same corner, since that would be common ground to start a conversation about. How contour the corner is. and so forth. lol

FFF_Freek
02-07-2004, 10:11 AM
I'm going to Anime Detour! If my costume is done, I'll be Yuna Gunner.

My BadgeName will be FFF_ Freek so that you guys will know who I am and *gasp* start a conversation with me!

Hyperion
02-09-2004, 04:00 PM
^ Yay! One of my favorite characters! Hope to see you there!

I'll either be using the tag name:

Hype
Hyperion
or Sora

You guys/gals decide...

My keyblade is starting to be cut out so it will be done hopefully by the end of the month, and I got a perfect windbreaker jacket for the over shirt. I just need to add the white stuff and cut the sleeves to make it a regular length shirt sleeve...YAY!

-Hype

TurtleJill
02-09-2004, 05:26 PM
TurtleJill, there are four corners to every room, so theres plenty of corners for the 2 of us. I'll take up 2 of them myself. lol. Maybe thats exaggerating. 1 1/2 max then. Or we could just sit in the same corner, since that would be common ground to start a conversation about. How contour the corner is. and so forth. lol

Lol, sounds good.

FFF_Freek
02-16-2004, 03:52 PM
I'll either be using the tag name:

Hype
Hyperion
or Sora

You guys/gals decide...

-Hype

Sora is good. That way, your name and costume will match! :)

Bobio Inevuana
02-16-2004, 05:22 PM
Wow! This is gonna be my first con ever! Heh, and its nice and easy for me too, since I live just five minutes from where its gonna be... ^_^ I'm in my high schools Japanese club, and we're trying to get everyone we can together to go to this! I'm glad to see some people who actually are going to attend! And in COSTUME no less! Lets make Minnesota's first ever con a success! ^_^

Hyperion
02-16-2004, 05:28 PM
Neat! I wish my school had a Japanese Club. I think I would actually learn something then. Any updates on any costumes?

I got to lazy to finish my keyblade this weekend. Meh.

lol

-Hype

Bobio Inevuana
02-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Hype, you're new at this too (From reading your profile)? I'm happy! I wont be the only one at least... ^_^; How are you making your keyblade? It seems as though making props can be kind of frusterating... Also, do you have Japanese in your school?

FFF_Freek
02-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Hyperion- I got some fabric with my mom and grandma (clothing experts) so hopefully we'll be putting things together real soon.

Bobio- It's my 1st time too :) . What will you Badgename be? Mine will be FFF_Freek. Look for a Gunner Yuna!

Hyperion
02-16-2004, 09:02 PM
Bobio- I'm making the core out of a large peice of scrap wood found in my basement. After I am done cutting it out (about 25% done now) I will be laying and shaping some poly styrene foam over it. I am not so sure how well that will work, but lets hope it does.

And no I don't have any Japanese language/culture classes in my school which is a bummer. I think they only offer French and Spanish. The closest thing is probably a walk over of culture in History, which might not happen?...

FFF Freek - Sounds good. I'm sure your costume will turn out great.

I'm thinking I might start talking about plans for the Kingdom Hearts Deep Dive trench coat with my friend. It would be awesome.

-Hype

Edit: Sorry for spelling your Forum name, FFF Freek wrong. I am a dope.

CapsuleCorp
02-16-2004, 09:49 PM
*ahem* Minneapolis' first *anime* con. Never forget CONvergence!

I finished Gohan well ahead of the game, so now I get to just twiddle my thumbs and wait till March. Oh, and work and do commissions and all kinds of other things...sigh.

Hyperion
02-16-2004, 11:03 PM
Cool. Seeing as how I've been in this community shortly, when and where was/is Convergance? Was it big?

-Hype

FFF_Freek
02-17-2004, 04:21 PM
^ It's okay. A lot of people get our club name misspelled. After all, that's the reason for my name, cause I am the rep. of the Final Fantasy Freeks (est.2003) !

Whoa, I think I'm starting to brag. Sorry.

Hyperion
02-17-2004, 05:56 PM
You have a club, too. I feel so alone. Ha. I should try to orginize one. Although it would really only be my friends, heh.

-Hype

FFF_Freek
02-17-2004, 07:53 PM
^ Awww. It's okay, we're a small club of most of my pals, too. Good Luck!

CapsuleCorp
02-17-2004, 09:51 PM
CONvergence is at the Radisson South in Minneapolis every July 4th weekend. One of the best small sci-fi/fantasy cons I've been to, and I've been to a lot - they have great room parties.

It's where I first learned about DDR. :D

Well, my pre-reg is in, now it's just more waiting. Lalalalalaa.... :)

Bobio Inevuana
02-18-2004, 06:30 AM
We actually had a con here before? I wish I had known about it... At the sci-fi con you can dress up as an anime character too?
Oh, and regarding badge names... Eh... I feel so stupid. You see, I am a complete newbie at this kinda thing. My freinds and I just used our my first name's... Look for a big red Anthy named Dawn. I wished I had discovered this site *before* mailing my money and application out... Wouldn't it be cool to meet up though, everyone? ^_^

PorcelainSakura
02-18-2004, 03:42 PM
We actually had a con here before? I wish I had known about it... At the sci-fi con you can dress up as an anime character too?
^_^
I've found most scifi cons have a portion of anime fans in attendence, the fandoms go well together. Convergence's is getting bigger, I have some friends that just spend the weekend in Theater Nippon (24 hr anime room) and the DDR room 'cause they don't care 'bout scifi.
Gaming cons too have anime fans, tought I've found I'm usually the only cosplayer there and WAY too many fanboys.

Kaahi
02-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Maaan Bobio, that's the one I told you Holly wanted to take me to. That Sci-fi one... with scawy trekkies YAAH!

Anyhow, guess I should introduce myself. I'm Bobio's (Dawn's) friend, and I'm gonna be her Utena ^^; I'm the dictator- er I mean president of the Japanese club at our school. My badge name is Nikki. We're bringing a Wakaba with us too.

We have a tiny problem though. I'd say we look alright for the parts and all, but um... Dawn and Tina (Wakaba) are both taller than me. Dawn by a little, Tina by a LOT. I'd wear platforms, but I just finished painting my cheap flat soled shoes (that were really a rip off.) Hm... well if the chance for pic posing comes... maybe I'll jump. Heh heh.

Whee I'm excited for this con!

Bobio Inevuana
02-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Ah, thank you Porcelian! Hvae you been to Convergance many times? (And in costume no less! Very brave... ^_^) Are you comming to Detour? Is so, as what?

Bobio Inevuana
02-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Well said, Nikki.

CapsuleCorp
02-19-2004, 12:33 AM
Precisely why I don't go to gaming cons, PorcelainSakura. ;)

There was a point this past year at CONvergence, Saturday afternoon, when I believe there were more anime cosplayers walking around than other costumes. Not to mention there were more anime entries in the Masquerade than ever before - that newbie Inuyasha group did pretty well! One of the girls made all of their costumes - from SCRATCH. Color me impressed.

Anyway. Looking forward to AD. And yeah, we should probably pick a time to all meet, just so we can place faces with board names or something. :)

PorcelainSakura
02-19-2004, 04:30 AM
Ah, thank you Porcelian! Hvae you been to Convergance many times? (And in costume no less! Very brave... ^_^) Are you comming to Detour? Is so, as what?
I've been to every Convergence, pretty much grew up with the people so its like a second family ^_^ Volunteer too much though ^^; Am totally gonna be at detour and taking lots of snaps, so watch out all you!

We all should get together for a little shoot/meet and greet. Maybe Anime Detour should be contacted, so we have an approved place to meet and out of the way. I'll take it apon myself if no one else wants to^_^

PorcelainSakura
02-19-2004, 04:35 AM
There was a point this past year at CONvergence, Saturday afternoon, when I believe there were more anime cosplayers walking around than other costumes. Not to mention there were more anime entries in the Masquerade than ever before - that newbie Inuyasha group did pretty well! One of the girls made all of their costumes - from SCRATCH. Color me impressed.

I know, I was sooo happy to see more anime related cosplayers stepping up to be in it ^_^ I just feel bad that I don't have time to gush over them, and have at times come off as rude (organizing stuff while food/sleep deprived amkes one rather tetchy). So I apologize to anyone out there!!! I just needed a nap and a sandwich!!!

Bobio Inevuana
02-19-2004, 07:05 AM
You can actually set up a place to meet? That's cool! I'd feel all important if there was an official "pre approved" place to meet up and take pictures.
What kinds of duties does one have when they volunteer? I was thinking about helping out at AD, but since this is my first time, I decided to just go and enjoy the atmosphere. ^_^
Oh, a quick question! When you guys go and put the effort into a costume, do you usually do a bit of research first, just to tell yourself what you *don't* want your costume to look like?

Hyperion
02-19-2004, 05:58 PM
Ofcourse, you must do research. You want to know what you're making the costume out of and what you are going to make. Just get snappin' on that costume. Only 30 some days to go!

Bobio Inevuana
02-19-2004, 06:07 PM
I feel sort of bad sometimes though... I think I'm being too picky when it comes to making this costume. When I look at other peoples Anthy costumes, all I can see is flaws. Someone show me a good Anthyyy!!

How is your costume comming along, Hype? How are you making it?

todd13
02-19-2004, 07:45 PM
I got bad news. Doesnt look like I'll be there as Samurai Jack, and I dont think I'll be there at all. Bills too overwhelming! no moola left to make costume or to get the props and accessories. And no moola to go. I guess theres always next year. I know everyone was looking forward to seeing Samurai Jack. Sorry. Have fun for me!

Todd

Hyperion
02-19-2004, 08:17 PM
I feel sort of bad sometimes though... I think I'm being too picky when it comes to making this costume. When I look at other peoples Anthy costumes, all I can see is flaws. Someone show me a good Anthyyy!!

How is your costume comming along, Hype? How are you making it?

My costume...heh...hehheheh...its uhh...great...yeah.

No. It's going very, very slow. I only have the jacket, which still needs work. I might go look for pants, or fabric this weekend, and I am definetly going to work on my keyblade. For my costume I am just looking for clothes to modify, seeing as that would be the easiest way. My mom doesn't want me to go out and buy fabric, because she thinks that it would be too hard. I don't know...

And todd...that is sad to hear. Maybe you'll get lucky though?

Also I think it would be a great idea for us all to meet!

-Hype

CapsuleCorp
02-19-2004, 10:01 PM
awww poor todd! I hope there's some luck and you can at least make it, even if it's not in cosplay. But I understand. That money thing sucks!

Bobio - how much detail and research you want to put into it is up to you. Me, personally, am VERY into accuracy and will hunt store after store for the right color fabric without settling for "close enough." But that's just me. :) If you don't think you'll be satisfied unless your Anthy is very accurate and very well done, then go for it. Go all the way. Whatever makes you the happiest. :)

PorcelainSakura - hey, that's a great idea! If you think it'll help to get the con involved in getting a group photo together, go for it. At the very least, maybe someone can give you a preliminary schedule of events/programming so we can schedule around things that people want to go to. I'm sure they'll be tickled to hear so many cosplayers are coming. (oh yeah, and PM me - I need Kat's address so I can offer to volunteer backstage for the CONvergence Masquerade)

Bobio Inevuana
02-20-2004, 06:38 AM
That sucks, Todd... U_U I really wanted to meet all of you guys...

Bobio Inevuana
02-20-2004, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the advice Capsule! The only problem is...well... ^_^;I can only get a ride to and back from Walmart... But their fabric seems nice... I guess... (However, I still wish I could get over to Hancock fabics... I'd get a student discount from my sewing teacher!)

I know sewing can be a big pain... For the renaissance festival, I made a bodice last year. Sheer hell... (But it turned out nicely) Its always better if you can just buy the damn thing... But, since prom gowns or any gown of this calibur are quite expensive, my wallet gets in the way yet again... *sigh*

Oh! Do you know what kind of stuff is going to happen at AD? I hope there will be skits and stuff! Just like I've heard other cons have done. They better not skimp out on us!! '

And another thought... Any true Minesotan would know that when the calendar says "spring" theres about three feet of snow on the ground. Heres hoping the weather continues like this until March...

By the way, do any of you guys have a very long drive to get here?

FFF_Freek
02-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Todd- aww..... :( . Maybe you can still go. Believe in hope :) .

That is a GREAT idea to get a group photo! I would lurrve to have a pic of us all! I dunno where we could meet, though. And I also think I might only be there on Friday, but I'm still unsure. Oh well, just keep me updated in case we make a meeting spot!

Bobio- Yeah, it'll be about 2 hrs for me.

PorcelainSakura
02-20-2004, 05:00 PM
PorcelainSakura - hey, that's a great idea! If you think it'll help to get the con involved in getting a group photo together, go for it. At the very least, maybe someone can give you a preliminary schedule of events/programming so we can schedule around things that people want to go to.
It's not that I think it will help, we should still meet up even if the con doesn't want to do it, but I was thinking maybe it could be some official meetup and then we'd get to meet more cosplayers ^_^ Plus if a good amount of people come (the people on this thread and the ones reading it + anyone we drag in) it would be nice to know where we'd be out of the way to have our fun.

p.s. everyone, I'm drafting a letter and will send it this weekend *crosses fingers*

SohjiroX
02-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Where is this again, just thought I might go to this if I can.

Bobio Inevuana
02-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Oh! Good luck with the letter, Porcelain!

Thats tough FF freak... Icky. I'm glad you're gonna come though!

Since the mall is so near AD (two blocks), I wonder if anyone will be walking around in their costumes doing a little shopping... Haha, that would be funny.

ShohjiroX- I dont know... I dont even know where you got it.... eh, but I've seen that movie! Its a great famous movie from Japan! I heard theres a Battle Royale 2 floating around. ^_^ Both movies were banned in the US though...

TurtleJill
02-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Since the mall is so near AD (two blocks), I wonder if anyone will be walking around in their costumes doing a little shopping... Haha, that would be funny.

That would be fun. : 3 count meh in!

PorcelainSakura
02-22-2004, 05:05 PM
ShohjiroX- I dont know... I dont even know where you got it.... eh, but I've seen that movie! Its a great famous movie from Japan! I heard theres a Battle Royale 2 floating around. ^_^ Both movies were banned in the US though...
Both BR movies are great ^_^
And FYI, they aren't banned. That's just an urban legend of sorts. No company wants to pick up the licensing to the movie seemingly due to its controversial nature and the fact that it would most likely be rated NC-17. Just about no theaters will run NC-17 movies, only independently owned ones have been known to pick them up. So there's a money issue right there. And I believe there are problems with the japanese company with the rights not looking to push it in the states.

Hyperion
02-22-2004, 05:16 PM
I finally picked up some fabric for my costume. I went to S.R. Harris (I believe) in Osseo/Brooklyn Park near Fleet Farm, and that place is just packed with fabric. I was like a kid in a candy store. Best of all is that everything is half off all the time, and my mom's house is only 10 minutes away. Now I just need to learn how to sew. Anyone mind helpin me out? LOL

I also finished cutting out my Keyblade. You can check pics out in my gallery. It's pretty messy, but it will do for now!

-Hype

CapsuleCorp
02-22-2004, 06:26 PM
SR Harris is my happy place!!! :D :D :D I'm deliberately coming up Thursday night so I can settle in and go to SR Harris early Friday morning before the con starts. ;) Not that I personally need anything, but I have customers who do, and besides, you never know when you'll stumble across that perfect fabric for that costume you had previously only been thinking about maybe doing...

I'm sure I have the longest drive of anyone on this thread so far - 4 and a half hours. Also a good reason to come up Thursday night instead of Friday morning.

SohjiroX - AD is in Minneapolis, MN.

I would tooooooooootally go to the mall and walk around in costume. Especially Yami Yugi. That would freak out so many small children, it would give me too much pleasure. I did this weekend locally, but I left my foam hair in the car, so I only got slightly confused looks. Anyway. :) I like the idea of an "official" cosplay photoshoot for all the cosplayers to get together. It would be kind of nice to know what the con's programming schedule is looking like, though. All they say on the website so far is what sorts of events will be held (e.g. Masquerade, dances, game room, etc) but nothing about when, or what other panels and stuff will be going on.

Bobio Inevuana
02-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Oh, thank you Porcelain! Heh, I think there would be quite a bit of an uproar if that movie ever came here openly... O_O How was the second BR? I'm excited to see it! (My friend is working on downloading it currently...) I'm not a big fan of sequals, so I dont have very high hopes for BR 2...

I'd be scared to walk around the mall as Anthy! I might see some people from my school there (somehow that always tends to happen)! I still have a few more months of school with them before I graduate. I have to make the last bit of it somewhat tolerable for me. ^_^; I'm an "in the closest" cosplayer of sorts.

Oh! I wanna help you out Hyperion! Do you have any patterns yet? Or are you just going to make your own pattern? I just finished my prototype and it looks fantastic! Now I gotta help my Utena and my Wakaba and... X_X Oooo... Your keyblade looks so cool!!! Look at all that detail! Oooh... how scary. You look good as an Unknown!

I dunno guys... I'm sorta scared that this won't be as huge as I think it will be. I wanna put up posters and stuff to let people know. Do a lot of people come from a long ways to go to that Sci-Fi con? Are any of you planning any skits?

Bobio Inevuana
02-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Where is S.R. Harris? It sounds like a nice cheap place with lots pof selection... Can you get shiny black stuff there too?

CapsuleCorp: You are soooo brave!

Hyperion
02-22-2004, 06:40 PM
CapsuleCorp- 4 hours... sounds like not funness. Heh. SR Harris was a happy place for me too. I saw some fabric that I wanted, but it was blocked off by a bunch of cardboard boxes in the back. So I climbed on top to grab it and dragged it off. Right when I was about to cut it my sister says wait, looks at the tag, and found out it was being sent somewhere. That was a close call. lol

Bobio- I have a pattern for the pants and shirt, but thats it. The pants pattern would need to be modified a lot, but I have really no idea how to read the pattern. Luckily they were only 1 buck each at Jo Annes. If you could help me make or design a pattern that would be stupendous, though. Thanks for the comments on the blade.

And as for the mall walking, that would be fun. I'd love to see the looks on people's faces, but I get really nervous when I feel like I am being watched, especially around people I don't know. Oh well.

Oh yeah, how much would a basic sewing machine cost, or where could I get one? Maybe in a pawn shop? I just need to know because we don't have one at my dad's house, only one at my moms.

-Hype

Bobio Inevuana
02-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Oh! Careful CapsuleCorps, AD is in Bloomington MN... Minneapolis is near Bloomington though... I dont know why they're catagorizing Bloomington under Minneapolis... Maybe because thats the biggest city near us...?

Bobio Inevuana
02-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Hmm... I always have a hard time reading those patterns too. Thats why I make my own. ^_^; Lemme do some research on Sora from Kingdom Hearts 2 and I'll get back to you on that. Ask CapsuleCorps also. She seems like she knows what she's doing when it comes to sewing...

Hyperion
02-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Okay, any help would be lots! There arn't to many pictures out there, but for any I would check out: www.ansemreport.com . They probably have the most pictures, or if you need any others I might have some pics lying around, too. Thanks ALOT!

-Hype

CapsuleCorp
02-22-2004, 09:43 PM
I'm maybe not the best person to ask about patterns, I very rarely use them. I draft all of my stuff from scratch. :) If you have questions about the instructions or stuff, methods, I can do that.

Bloomington, Minneapolis - same thing! :) Suburbs. It's ten minutes from my friend's house, that's all that matters to me since I'm crashing there and dragging him along. And I don't know that I'd call me brave...just 29 and no longer caring what people think of me. ;)

Bobio Inevuana
02-23-2004, 06:17 AM
Really? You have a friend who lives close? Thats pretty handy. I wonder if any of you guys are staying at the hotel...?

Heh, I wish I had that luxury. To truely not care what others think of you... Hm... I don't think I'd mind walking around if people I knew didn't go there annually. I'd be kinda fun, actually. Since there are a lot of tourists who go to the mall (especially Japanese ones) you'd all probably get your pictures taken a few times. ^_^ And the people at Suncoast would be tickled to see all of you.

Hyperion
02-23-2004, 03:01 PM
Yeah I wish I were that close, but I will be staying at my mom's house and that is only 30 minutes away I am going to guesstimate so that shouldn't be to bad.

I acctually want my picture taken for a change. I ussually frown or put on a fake face during most of my pics.

-Hype

Bobio Inevuana
02-23-2004, 03:21 PM
Really? Why do you do that Hype? Are you posing or something? ^_^ Thats cool that your mom's going to give you a ride for the three days. You should thank her! My mom would eat my face off if I ever asked her to do that... O_O

Oh! And can anyone help me out with something? How would you ever even attempt Yuna's outfit when she's singing? That skirt thing defies gravity!

Bobio Inevuana
02-23-2004, 03:27 PM
Oh! One more quick thing Hype~!
Where do you find those pictures of Sora from KH 2? I'm having sort of a tough time...

Hyperion
02-23-2004, 04:26 PM
Oh no! My mom isn't giving me a ride. I just got my license and car about one month ago so I am driving by myself, maybe with my sister if she ever finds a costume she wants to do.

Anyways, Here are some pictures for you!

-Hype

Bobio Inevuana
02-23-2004, 05:58 PM
'm jealous!! I'm 18 and still I can't afford to take the class (let alone buy a car). ^_^; Guess its good ol' Beeline for me...

Wow! That costume looks great! But it also looks incredibly complicated... From what I'm seeing, Sora's wearing normal jean shorts under a black covering (it looks like black pants that have been folded up or something...). That wouldn't to hard, but you'd have to consider all those belts and the big red pockets. Oh my...O_O How are you going to do those shoes? What have other people done? (In fact don't know if I've ever seen a Sora from KH 2...)

Hyperion
02-23-2004, 06:13 PM
I'm not really focused on the shoes, because I probably don't have the time or money for them. And the pant's arn't chaps, It is just blue sewn on the black or meshed in there somehow. They are just "one." I really don't think the red pockets would be too hard if I just made something to wrap the fabric around, like a box outline sort of. For those straps I just have yellow straps that you would find on a backpack, so that wouldn't be too hard either, atleast I think. I am just worried about the pants and jacket, and understanding patterns.

Oh and here are some pics of KH2 Sora Cosplayers. If the people in them want them down PM me and I will edit them out.

-Hype

PorcelainSakura
02-23-2004, 09:42 PM
And as for the mall walking, that would be fun. I'd love to see the looks on people's faces, but I get really nervous when I feel like I am being watched, especially around people I don't know. Oh well.

Oh yeah, how much would a basic sewing machine cost, or where could I get one? Maybe in a pawn shop? I just need to know because we don't have one at my dad's house, only one at my moms.

I LOVE cosplaying at the mall!
The stares are priceless. I haven't done big cosplay, mostly school uniforms/egl/and simpler outfits, but its still fun. I'm sure con goers will be there for meals and such.

My first machine was about $100, and so far its been the best one I've worked with (go figure). Sure it doesn't do the fancier stitch work like the others, but it has needed less upkeep. Research what you need vs want and talk to someone about brands ^_^

PorcelainSakura
02-23-2004, 10:18 PM
Okay I sent my letter ^_^
Here it is:

"To the Anime Detour Programming/Events Committee,

I and several other cosplayers planning on attending the convention are trying to organize a cosplayer meet and greet/amateur photoshoot. We would like to know the following:

The best area for us to meet (as appropriate photo areas are mentioned on the site) because we don't know how many people we will attract, and if it is many we don't want to be in the way.

If Anime Detour is interested in participating with us making it con sponsered event (i.e. recognize what we're doing, maybe announce it etc).

I would greatly appreciate a response.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
"
My name removed cause I don't like plastering it on the net *^_^* I hope we get a response soon *cross fingers*

Hyperion
02-23-2004, 11:09 PM
Yay! Yay yay! Thanks PorcelainSakura! The letter looks good. Hopefully this will work. I can't wait. I'm so jumpy! lol

-Hype

PorcelainSakura
02-24-2004, 12:23 AM
Hey, is everybody planning to go pre-registered?
Talked to some peoples that weren't, so just wanted to post a friendly reminder to anyone that might have forgot ^_^

SongofAmazon
02-24-2004, 03:30 PM
*bounce* I'm excited. It will be my first convention and I'll be really close to home, so I'll probably just commute there daily. ^_^ I've been madly sewing for so long, I've got more costumes than days to wear them: Sailor Autumn, My Sailor Mercury, Wakaba, Ami Yukata, Utena/Anthy

FFF_Freek
02-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks PorcelainSakura! We really appreciate it.

Update: my mom has yet to say yes to Anime Detour, but,like previously stated, my grandma,her,and I already bought material, so she pretty much has to take me. I'm getting better grades now, hopefully it will help my cause.

No,I've not pre-reggied.

Hyperion
02-24-2004, 05:45 PM
Yay, everybody! I'm not pre-registered yet (I don't have the moneys), but hopefully I will be by the time it starts. I don't want to have to stay in a line at the con.

FFF Freek - You might have a duo! My sister is seriously thinking of cosplaying Warrior Paine, but I don't know if she could get it done quick enough, so we will see. Anyways, can't wait to see all the other costumes.

-Hype

CapsuleCorp
02-24-2004, 08:20 PM
Excellent letter, PorcelainSakura. Let's see how it goes!

I totally pre-regged. I've learned my lesson!

Bobio Inevuana
02-25-2004, 06:39 AM
Oh! Another Anthy!! Ooo!!! T-tell me all your secret's Song!!! ^_^
Yay!! I'm so excited!! I had a dream that the Con was outside and had lots of red streamers and draping decorations (even though that's not how I imagine it will be at all...) FF Freek, I'll be happy to see you there!

Hype- Those guys did their costumes very nicely (My personal fav. is the first one)! Are you going to try what they did? Your sister is going to be warrior Paine? Wow.. I always feel awed when someone can pull off that giant Elvis swirl hair do. O_O
Oh, and I think my friend bought her machine (Which is what I'm using to make my costume... ^^) for 100$ from target or something. You'll have to look more into that, as Porcelian said.

Speaking of Porcelian...That letter is great! I can't waiiiit! And yes, I pre-registered. Look for a tag that says Dawn on it... ;_; ha...

Capsule- If I could go to Otakon, it would be like a dream come true. I'm so jealous of you! The hotels are already being booked up, aren't they? O_O; I don't think I could afford it in time to get a hotel... How are you planning to get there?

Oh and would you all mind telling me what name's you're putting on your badges?

PockyBunny
02-25-2004, 07:25 AM
~*~ IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ~*~

This is FFF_Freek. I changed my username to suit my nickname. My bagename will be PockyBunny. Got it? PM me if you have any questions.

grandis
02-25-2004, 08:31 AM
Hey Cats and Kitties:

Nemo and I will still be at Anime Detour. We've got our list o' costumes finalized, too.

Nemo: Ruka (Utena), Roger Smith (Big O), Ashram (Lodoss Wars).
Grandis: Natsuki (Hyper Police), Haruka (Nadesico), R. Dorothy Waynewright (Big O), Pirotase (Lodoss Wars), Blue (Wolf's Rain)

At this point, no plans to be in the masquerade, although we do have a cute skit idea if we decide to. Only if they REALLY need folks, I think. :)

Looking forward to seeing all of you there!!!

Grandis :cool:

CuteButDeadly
02-25-2004, 02:50 PM
I will be cosplaying as Dark Chi on Friday and Rikku X-2 on Saturday. I'm not sure what I'm going to put in my badge but it wont be CuteButDeady. I never use the same name twice for I am the girl with a thousand names.

Catboi Blues
02-25-2004, 03:00 PM
Anime Detour sounds like it will be interested to say the least. I'm coming all the way from Michigan for it so I can hang out with my friends and have a great time. Also I'm going to help sponcer the DDR party.

Hyperion
02-25-2004, 03:22 PM
Yay! More people! As I said before my sister MIGHT be doing Paine. I'm not really positive that she has the money or sewing skills to do it, but we will see. Hopefully I will be able to start sewing this weekend with my sister or a friend. We will see!

-Hype

PockyBunny
02-25-2004, 08:32 PM
CuteButDeadly- Yay! a Rikku! I see DEFINITE picture possibilities for the 2 of us!

Hyperion- That's ok if your sis won't be Paine, but THINK OF THE PHOTO OPS!!!!

Like I said before, my name will be PockyBunny, not FFF_ Freek.

Hyperion
02-25-2004, 09:02 PM
^ LOL... I know! I want to sneak in as Tidus or Shuyin with all the perdy ladies! lol

-Hype

SongofAmazon
02-25-2004, 09:42 PM
Oh! Another Anthy!! Ooo!!! T-tell me all your secret's Song!!! ^_^

Secrets eh? Twas a fun costume to make and we really cheaped out. *grins* Utena and Anthy are both actually my friend's but I made Anthy for her and am helping her with utena. So as to do the couple thing, we share the costumes. ^^ *sighs* Our Usako, the Utena we planned to go with is stuck at college in california.

I haven't preregistered yet, but the forum is laying out on the table right now. For my badge name I have my real name (Jenna)... but that's super uncreative. Should I change it to SoA?

Bobio Inevuana
02-26-2004, 06:50 AM
Song- Finally! Someone else who decided to put their first name on the badge! (I'm ot the only one! ^_^) I have a little Utena party too! My best friend is Utena and we have a Wakaba on the way...

Hype- Heeeyy... I just realized this... You're the only guy! Woo... you got lucky! ^_^; And if your sister does dress up as Paine, we've alrady assembled a famous trio! Good luck on your costume!!

Catboi- You're having a DDR party? Where? I love those dancing games! I'm more favorable to Pump it Up though, because the songs don't all sound the same. (In my opinion) ^_^; By the way, I like your little user picture thingy! ^_^;

Cute but Deadly- A girl with a thousand names, huh...? ^__^ Can't wait to see how you pull of Chi! How will you/did you do the ear's?

Bobio Inevuana
02-26-2004, 07:04 AM
O-oh! My bad! One of TWO boys... -_-; Sorry, Catboi... (It says it right in your name too...)

PorcelainSakura
02-26-2004, 03:08 PM
I will be cosplaying as Dark Chi on Friday and Rikku X-2 on Saturday. I'm not sure what I'm going to put in my badge but it wont be CuteButDeady. I never use the same name twice for I am the girl with a thousand names.
A Freya, Yay ^_^ I've got a light Chii, we'll have to do stupid sister chii poses together^_^
The best thing is that the con is a first year and comparabily small, so there probably won't 3 dozen other chiis.

Hyperion
02-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Anyone been to the AD site lately. They met their contractual quota with the hotel, and there have been 300 regestrators already. Maybe this won't be as small as we thought, but then again I wouldn't know what a lot is...

Hype

Bobio Inevuana
02-26-2004, 07:26 PM
Really!? O_O; Oh wow... and I was scared that this would be too small... More great opportunities to see costumes. hehe. Better keep working on my costume.

PorcelainSakura
02-26-2004, 07:33 PM
To me 300 is small ^_^

Hyperion
02-26-2004, 08:54 PM
Yeah, it doesn't seem huge, but I was expecting maybe 100 hundred people, so it is triple to what I thought.

-Hype

CapsuleCorp
02-26-2004, 08:54 PM
Yeah, 300 is a little on the small side, but then again, 300-500 for a first-year con is really excellent. No one ever knows how many at-the-door registrants they'll have, but I'm counting on a fair number. There's a few people I know who intend to go but haven't pre-regged.

I'm glad they posted the basic hours of operation, now I know how much time I have Friday morning for a trip to SR Harris. ;) And there IS a dance both nights. I'm going to do a raver sort of variation to Hiei for Saturday, but now i have to pack dance clothes for Friday too!

PorcelainSakura
02-26-2004, 09:56 PM
300 does seem good for a first con that is such a niche and didn't do lots of active solicitating at others cons. I'm surprised that all I ever saw were posters, and not party rooms with pre-reg forms.

Though from what I've heard, Anime con goers aren't to good about pre-reging. Just showing up ^_^
Either way, there's lots of fun to be had.

Hyperion
02-26-2004, 10:46 PM
Yup! I want to go to those dances, just to maybe hang out, but I don't think I could stay up that late and drive myself home later, and I don't have the money to get a hotel room (then again I am not old enough to get one). But still everything seems like it should be a lot of fun! :: Rides cocoabo into the night (my friend calls them cocoabos so its passed onto me it seems)::

-Hype

PorcelainSakura
02-27-2004, 04:31 AM
Oh, I forgot all about the dances. Its been a while since I've been out (bad clubs, stupid people) I highly doubt I can flow anymore ^^; My parapara is decent, but I doubt they'll play any of the ones I know. Oh well, I'll just do japanese bouncy girl syndrome ^_^ I'll look stupid but I'll have fun.

CuteButDeadly
02-27-2004, 12:48 PM
Just dance like no one is watching, its the best way to dance.

Hyperion
02-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Lol. But then you get the thought oh god, everyone is looking at me like im dancing and nobody is watching. I am a horrible dancer, so I just don't do it.

-Hype

PockyBunny
02-27-2004, 03:48 PM
^ same here. I hope they play slow songs, and hopefully I can find an Auron to dance with (I wuv Auron...... :love: )

CapsuleCorp
02-27-2004, 09:12 PM
oh man, I'm aaaalll about dancing...well, to trance and techno, mostly. If it's house or something insanely fast or insanely slow, no go.

Drat, now how to transition from Mystic Gohan to something dance-worthy Friday night? Hrm. My poor spiked-up hair will never survive.

PorcelainSakura
02-27-2004, 09:19 PM
I used to love going out, but once I got into jpop and eurobeat the people i hung out with were totally not into it. Plus they had this whole elitist follow the flavor-of-the-week thing, a few bad people ruined the whole scene for me :P

Bobio Inevuana
02-28-2004, 06:58 AM
Dances are fun! ...If you know how to dance... ;_; Eh, but it doesn't matter how you dance, because your friends are probably at the same dancing level as you. At least, that was the case for me at prom last year. We had a group of people who *thought* they could dance really well next to us, which made us feel a helluva lot better about our moves. ^_^

All of you: promise to show me your moves on Friday!! ^_^

Bobio Inevuana
02-28-2004, 07:00 AM
BTW: how many versions of Para Para are there? (I only know the one to the mickey mouse song. We're going to be doing that one in Japan. O_O)

PockyBunny
02-28-2004, 01:12 PM
^ Promise. Dun forget to bring a notepad and pencil for phone numbers,etc!

SongofAmazon
02-28-2004, 09:37 PM
Drat, now how to transition from Mystic Gohan to something dance-worthy Friday night? Hrm. My poor spiked-up hair will never survive.

Mystic Gohan eh? My brother wants me to whip up that costume for him if I get done with my own in time (ha!). ^_^

Dancing... I'm okay at it. Mostly all I can do though is Sera Myu style dancing though.

CapsuleCorp
02-29-2004, 12:58 AM
ooo lemme tell ya, SongofAmazon, that is NOT an easy whip-uppable costume. Assuming we're talking about the same Mystic, as I've seen both the Kai outfit and the regular orange fight clothes referred to as Mystic Gohan. I did the Kai outfit, though. It was a tough go, getting the shoulders of the coat to do the sticking-up thing. Tell your brother there's no way you're going to have the time. And then send him along in plain orange. ;)

What is this, DDR? "Show me your moves!" :D Dude, totally. I'm there. I'll have my companion tote along business cards for me. ;)

Hyperion
02-29-2004, 05:36 PM
I'm getting pissed off, because I have absolutly not started anything on my costume. My sis said she would take my measurements on Friday night, and take her sewing machine to my dads. When I walk into her room 30 minutes later, she is sleeping, so I put my fabric infront of her door expecting her to atleast take that. I wake up and its still there and she is gone. NAH! and I was going to my friends house today, and I forget his number. NAH! I really need to learn how to sew so I don't have to depend on others to do it for me. Sorry for complaining...

Atleast I got a little work done on my keyblade...

-Hype

PockyBunny
02-29-2004, 06:43 PM
^ That sucks. I had my grandma come over for reinforcements (I can't do it ALL by myself!)

PorcelainSakura
03-01-2004, 12:06 AM
BTW: how many versions of Para Para are there? (I only know the one to the mickey mouse song. We're going to be doing that one in Japan. O_O)
There are hundreds of para para routines

DeadLegato
03-01-2004, 12:54 AM
CapsulCorp... your cosutme at convergence was very good. I loved it. Hurray for other convergence peoples... I don't know if you remember me, I was the incredibly short tallest Red. (Yeah, I know, people told me not to use Satin but darn it, I liked my satin costume!)

I can't believe I didn't find this thread until now! I hope to be able to meet up with most/all of you who are going to make an appearance at Anime Detour... I need to search through this thread and see if cosplay.com has an official photoshoot planned for Detour or not. We're also hoping to organize a "men in trenchcoats" cosplay photoshoot sometime later on Friday, but I don't know if that'll happen or not.

Do any of you go to the U of M's Manga Anime Society? (hasn't read the rest of the post so it may have been discussed already). I tried bringing up cosplay on the club's message board a few times but each time a certain member just starts a fight over his percieved right to dictate who everyone else can cosplay.

For anyone who wants to meet ME, my badge name will be Zero-Zero One. Is there a scheduled meet up time for us cosplay.com fanatics to get together and say hello yet? I haven't gone back to read all ten pages yet, so again, I apologize if this has been covered. If not, one should be planned. Yes.

Bobio Inevuana
03-01-2004, 06:17 AM
Porcelain drafted a letter the other day to send to AD about all of us meeting up. I'm not sure if they have responded yet. ^_^ Who are you planning to be?

Are you a U of M student, Legato? I just got accepted there! I didn't know they had an anime/manga club. ^_^

PorcelainSakura
03-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Nope no response yet :(
But i'm planing on bringing it up in the forums in a couple weeks hoping they'll notice and post a reply/opinion if they have one.
And no, cosplay.com doesn't have Anime Detour on its schedule. Maybe in the future ^_^

Oh, and Red was totally awesome. I was surprised at all the Zim fans about.

CapsuleCorp
03-01-2004, 09:15 PM
Red...Red... *scratches head, thinking* Oh yeah! Now I remember. Porcelain said Zim, that's the only thing I remember since I've never seen the show. :) Hi! Yeah, I saw you mention AD somewhere else and was thinking of saying "hey, we have a thread! come check it out!" I'll definitely be on the lookout for you - and yeah, we're all getting together, officially or not. We must!

has anyone else pre-regged and not gotten their confirmation yet? I sent mine in a few weeks ago and as far as I know the check's been cashed. I'm still waiting to hear back, though.

Hyperion
03-01-2004, 09:35 PM
Everything is piling up for me. I have to make a costume for a culture festival that will be on the 19th, but luckily spring break is the week before AD. So much to do so little time, including registering.

-Hype

Bobio Inevuana
03-02-2004, 05:38 AM
I hope you don't get too stressed out Hype! ^_^; Good luck on both your costumes... Thats a heavy work load...

Nope, still haven't gotten confirmation, and I sent mine a month ago.

PockyBunny
03-02-2004, 07:30 AM
^ Sure is. Dun worry, you'll be fine :) .

Serria
03-02-2004, 04:59 PM
Guess what guess what! I might get to go to Anime Detour! I haven't registered or anything yet, but it's the closest anime convention since... ever. Yeah. I'm a Minnesotan. Anyhow, if I do get to go, I'll be Aeris Gainsborough. ^_^

SongofAmazon
03-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Fwew! I'm finally regestered, and right before the price goes up again. ^_^'' I'm really excited but frantic to finish up stuff too, fortunately my sprink break is also the week preceeding the con. *spins*

CapsuleCorp- yup, we're thinking of the same costume. I may still attempt it anyway. He's going to buy everything except the jacket thingy, which I may or may not be able to make the sleeves stick up. I'm a huge fan of interfacing and spray starch and I've whipped together several LoR costumes in 2 days before the show. Besides, he doesn't know the difference between good sewing and bad sewing. *grins*

DeadLegato
03-02-2004, 06:44 PM
I paid using paypal, so I got like instant notice that they had at least RECIEVED my payment. I don't know if they are doing actual confirmations or not.

Yes, the U of M has an anime society. We're... pretty darn huge. You should drop by and say hello sometime, the webpage is http://www.tc.umn.edu/~anime
A couple of the people who are the top of the Anime Detour organization pyramid sometimes stop by the message board. (By the way, if you stop by and wonder about all the "Gay Backers" icons, we were doing it as a prank to scare someone, bascially. It's not usually that yaoi-licious of a board.)

How many of you guys will I be seeing in the greenroom? And yes, some sort of meetup must be scheduled.

My costumes- CIS from the Animatrix (The white and red samuri warrior chick), with my friend going as an Animatrix-style agent.
I will also being doing Akabane Kuroudo (Dr. Jackal) from Get Backers if I finish his hat. I may also do some EGL, it depends on if I want to bind myself two days or not.

CapsuleCorp
03-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Ohhh it's a whole weekend of binding for me, LOL!! Gohan Friday, Hiei Saturday, and Yami Yugi Sunday. Joy. And ouchies. Cool with the Animatrix stuff, DeadLegato - be on the lookout for the friend i'm dragging along with me, he has a very cool custom Matrix coat/look and wouldn't mind teaming up for pictures. But he'll be doing Starblazers on Saturday.

SongofAmazon - good luck! :D I ended up using interfacing and a little boning to get my coat shoulders to stick up. I made the whole thing from scratch, though, in about a week. The coat took a day and a half alone. If I see him, I'll have to call him mini-me. :) AND if I get my Z-sword in time...look out! Heheh. I sort of decided to quick whip up a shirt and sash to convert my Goku stuff to Gohan in case I get tired of the heavy layers and want to change into something lighter. Maybe even for the dance, we'll see how the hair holds up.

Hyperion
03-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Yay! My freind is working on my costume now! He is eventually going to make something for himself, too, but I don't know what. With our little culture fest thing we got Chinese Martial Arts and he is making our groups costumes (which will be inspired by the fight between Neo and the Oracles protector (I forget his name) from the matrix reloaded) for that, which I might wear to AD if I get tired of Sora. So I will have two costumes.

We have also started making plans for a commission business, because I know he hate working at Burger King!

-Hype

PorcelainSakura
03-03-2004, 03:57 AM
OMG!!! YAY!!!!!!!!
"Hi!

Your Cosplay Photo Shoot is scheduled at 1PM on Saturday in Salon C. I will
list you in the program.

Frenchy Lunning
Programming
Anime Detour"

SPREAD THE WORD!!

Bobio Inevuana
03-03-2004, 06:06 AM
Yaaaay!!! ^_________^ I'm so excited!! But I'm kinda worried. You see, I have this graphic design competion on Saturday. I hope it doesn't last longer than 12:30. ;_; Fat chance. *cries* Someone help me think of a excuse to get out of it! (ti is how irresponsible I am...)

Is it okay to just have one costume durring the con? O_O; (I kinda wanted to be Alexiel but the whole time and money thing.... Even if I pulled it off, I'd have no wings. -_-)

Legato- Gay backers huh? *laughs* I'll have to stop by there sometime soon. ^_^ Hopefully I'll join the club next year. ^_^ Out of curiosity, is there anyone named Anthony in the club?

Yay! I hope he can finish all the costumes in time, Hype! (I hope I can finish both the costumes I'm working on too...)

Bobio Inevuana
03-03-2004, 06:38 AM
Serria- You just missed the last price hike by a few days... -_- Even though the price right now is no different than if you payed at the door, maybe you should sign up soon, huh? ^_^ What will your badge name be?

SongofAmazon
03-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Fun stuff! Sakura- is that just your photoshoot or is that a cosplay.com one? (doesn't know how this works because she's never been to a con before)

Meep... I just got myself into another yukata commission. I hope the person that gets it isn't in a hurry to have it done. While yukata only take 4 hours for me, I'd rather concentrate my efforts on Ami, Utena, and Gohan. ^^''

PorcelainSakura
03-03-2004, 04:16 PM
I hope this doesn't come off rude but I want it to be said:
I want to make this really clear for everyone,

this is NOT a cosplay.com photoshoot.

This is a cosplayer meet and greet/ameteur shoot for everyone. Anyone is free to show up and take snaps. *hopes I'm not the only one with a camera* Because I sent in the request I assume I'm expect to host it, but this is for everyone. The whole point was so we could all get together in one spot, and to be a part of the convention.

I hope no one gets the wrong idea, I'm no professional and have talent no where near Admin's. But I am a girl with a camera that loves to snap it, and is passionate enough to spend the convention getting as many cosplayers as possible.

Sorry to be blunt, I just don't want to upset Admin if people are thinking its his photoshoot when its not and I never ment it to be. Anyways, please come everyone!Whether your costume is done or not ^_^

DeadLegato
03-03-2004, 05:01 PM
Bobio- You know Anthony? Kinda short, really likes wrestling games?

I'll deffinately make it if I'm not actually GIVING a panel at one. And I'll have my Animatrix costume that day.

Say, you do planning? Don't suppose you'd put "Men in Trenchcoats standing in high places" photoshoot on the schedule for sometime on Friday? We were figuring we'd go up to a high place and make everyone photograph us from below, because anime men in trench coats ALWAYS stand in high places. You don't have to, just askin'

PorcelainSakura
03-03-2004, 05:32 PM
DeadLegato- what kind of panel are you doing? I remember my first panel, sooo nervous ^_^

Hyperion
03-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Yay! I have a camera, not a fabulous great professional camera, but I have a nice 3.1 mp digi cam. Pictures for me! My friend also started my costume...yay...pics in gallery. YAY!

Did I say YAY! yet?

-Hype

PockyBunny
03-03-2004, 09:21 PM
^ Yayness here! I'm bringing a reg camera w/lots o rolls o film, and a digicam 4 more pics and so I dun have to scan them all.

DeadLegato
03-03-2004, 09:47 PM
It's not my first panel. I know the woman who is running the "How to Cosplay" panel sooooooooo... heh heh... I got connections.

Maybe my dad will let me borrow his professional camera. (like there's a chance of THAT ever happening)

PorcelainSakura
03-04-2004, 04:45 AM
It's not my first panel. I know the woman who is running the "How to Cosplay" panel sooooooooo... heh heh... I got connections.

Maybe my dad will let me borrow his professional camera. (like there's a chance of THAT ever happening)
Sounds like a fun topic ^_^ I thought about doing panels, but I decided to just enjoy the con as a patron for the most part. Saving all the grunt work for convergence ;)

Bobio Inevuana
03-04-2004, 05:41 AM
Legato- Yeah! (But I didn't know what kind of games he likes) Is he a short Asian guy who wear's glasses any plays Pump it Up? If so, tell him to drop by the forum sometime! Tell him Dawn sent him! ^_^

Hype- Yaaay! Aww! You look so cute! ^______^ I can't wait to see the final product!

Everyones bringing all this high tech photography stuff... I'll have a good 'ol disposable. heh.

PorcelainSakura
03-04-2004, 02:47 PM
I hope others will take pics friday night, I have classes.
Sooo excited now ^_^
Say, is anyone going for masquerade?
The wig and shoes I need can't get here in time so I'm out.

Bobio Inevuana
03-04-2004, 03:26 PM
I feel kinda stupid for asking this but uh... as you know, I'm a newbie... What exactly happen's at masquerdes? Like, what kind of things do you do? Is that the skit thinger?

Bobio Inevuana
03-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Oh! Does anyone have any tips on where to get a floor length crinaline underskirt thing? Like, a petty coat or something? I need to poof out my skirt quite a bit. ^_^;

Serria
03-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Err... I don't know what my badge name will be. This will be my second convention, but the last one I only got day passes and didn't have a badge name. :p Can you pick any name?

Hyperion
03-04-2004, 08:10 PM
Yup... Anything you want. Just put it by nickname on the registration form.

-Hype

CapsuleCorp
03-04-2004, 10:49 PM
YAY PorcelainSakura!!! Cool! I'll have to mark it in my...er...well, I'll remember it. :) My friend that's getting dragged along will want to both photo and videotape it, he's a video nut.

I'm not entering the Masquerade this time around. I'm taking some time off from competition - besides, the costumes I do, while being spot-on accurate to the smallest detail, always lose to the flashy costumes with gratuitous use of trim and/or the obscure ones. So sue me if I like mainstream anime series. I'm just going to kick back and relax this time - not running any panels, no responsibilities, just going to have fun in my costumes, see if I can impress Kyle Hebert with my Gohan, maybe play up a little yaoi teasing as Hiei with my friend coming as Youko Kurama...

...oh yeah, and dancing the night away. Nights, I should say! :)

DeadLegato
03-05-2004, 12:25 AM
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.... yes, it makes me sad when a costume wins just because it's the most disco-era-ified, so to speak.

Yeah, that's the Anthony! Wow, how do you know him, so I'll know exactly what to tell him? You can pm that to me if you don't feel like posting it here. As for Masquerades... there might be a panel on what to expect at the Masq at Detour, they have a panel KINDA like that at CONvergence... or at least they did once, I remember going to it.

I'm also considering making a "terminator Chii" costume for Sunday. I have a Chii-style dress but I don't want to actually go as Chii because... there are five billion Chiis. So I thought I'd make the metal eyepiece and arm that the Terminator has, Chii ears, and paint a toy AK-47 (Yes, you CAN buy those) pink and put ribbons on it.

But I'm kinda broke, so I can't really afford the metal parts. Maybe for Anime Central.

FirearmofMutiny
03-05-2004, 12:40 AM
I have arrived, Bobio Inevuana! XD

Dead Legato let me know that you were looking for me, so here I am. What's up? I haven't seen you in so long! Like everyone else, I'm getting my costumes ready for Anime Detour. I've probably told you about my "3 Kens" thing, and I think Jiro from Kikaider too, but I'm also going as Rock Lee from Naruto! I hope to see you guys there! ^_^

Bobio Inevuana
03-05-2004, 06:04 AM
WAAAAHHH!!! ^_________________^ I'm so happy to hear from you!! How are you!? Nikki and are going ahead and doing the Utena thing. We even hve a Wakaba who wants to join us! I've heard of Naruto, but I'm not quite sure what its about. Oh, and could you exlain the three Kens thing again? I remember you explaining it to me but I forgot what it was. (sorry! ^_^)

Are you going to be a part of our little photo shoot thing? Porcelain mailed AD a letter asking to have a place to take pictures. We're in their schedule. Its very exciting!!!! ^_^ Are you getting a hotel room? Or are you going to commute everyday?

I want to have more costumes, but I wont be able to afford it this time. ;_; Did you have a lot of costumes the first time you went to a con?

PockyBunny
03-05-2004, 07:12 AM
Yay! We are in the schedule! *dances* *gives cookies to everyone*

FirearmofMutiny
03-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Hey, that's awesome! ^_^ BTW, at my first con, I had no idea what I was doing--All I had was a school uniform Shinji costume. :P Anywho, here's what Rock Lee looks like (http://lee.trabia-garden.net/gallery/screen08.jpg)--Sure, he looks uncool, and he's a total dork, but Naruto fans love him anyway. :D As for Ken, I have 3 Ken Hidaka (from Weiß Kreuz) costumes ready to go--Ken from Kapitel (the original TV series), from Verbrechen/Strafe (the OAV), and Gluhen (the new TV series). There are a few pics in my gallery from ACen 2003--I haven't made many changes to the costume since. ^_^

Bobio Inevuana
03-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Wow! I'm very impressed! ^_^ I can't wait to see all of these in real life! Oh! And whats with that Rock Lee guy!? He looks... a tad... messed up. Is that how he always looks? Heh, if so, I can't wait to see you pull this one off. ^_____^ Hee.

Are you bringing any friends with you? Who are they going to be going as? And when did you register?

SongofAmazon
03-05-2004, 10:40 PM
Ohh! Nice fun photoshoot. ^^ Now that I have a little time on my hands, I need to run out to a fabric warehouse to buy the rest of the pieces for my costume. I just know the 8 yards of gold trim will make me go broke though. ^_^''

Now I'm really excited about the photoshoot. *grins* I'll have to drag my brother and friend up there too. *bounces*

CapsuleCorp
03-06-2004, 02:22 PM
If they've got it, SongofAmazon, check the SR Harris warehouse in Brooklyn park for your trim. 50% off every day and fantastic selection to boot. I can't wait to get there. ;)

3 Kens, sounds like my 3 Hieis. :D Cool, even more folks to meet and greet! I'm quite excited about this. I hope AD is prepared for us to make their first year a killer kick-off.

PockyBunny
03-06-2004, 03:05 PM
^ Definitley. Hopefully this will influence others to start up more anime cons in MN! Hooray!

treasure_chan
03-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Hio, all.
I haven't really been around the forums much, but I'll be going to Anime Detour. It'll be my first con... It's be so exciting! :D

Serria
03-06-2004, 10:12 PM
I've never been to a convention that was specifically for anime. I'm more of a video game person. I like anime but I'm no expert, I never have the time nor opportunity to watch much. D'you think that will be bad since I'm going to an anime convention?

SongofAmazon
03-06-2004, 11:17 PM
I'm not really an anime expert either. I only know little things. I'm mostly a manga reader myself. ^^ We'll be clueless together!

PorcelainSakura
03-07-2004, 02:10 AM
- besides, the costumes I do, while being spot-on accurate to the smallest detail, always lose to the flashy costumes with gratuitous use of trim and/or the obscure ones.
I get more upset about judges that don't think recreations should win bests, only originals. And mark points off *ack* I think its harder to do a recreation than a original.

I wanted to enter masquerade but,

1, original idea fell through due to classes.

2, was thinking 'bout using chii, but I have no ideas for a chii schitk and I'm afraid of audience groans

PorcelainSakura
03-07-2004, 02:27 AM
oh! some con scheduling is up ^_^

Bobio Inevuana
03-07-2004, 03:27 PM
WAAAHHH!!! I am sooo unbelievably excited!!! Look! A map as to what the place is gonna look like! A-And the schedule for the anime! A-and the PANELS! Ooooooh~ I can't waiiit!

And I'm also almost done with my costume. Just need to put white trim on the vest and cuffs, and assemble the brooch and shoulder thingers! *grin*

I think its okay if a gamer goes to an anime convention. Personally, gaming and anime go hand in hand for me. ^_^ I wonder how many video game/anime crossovers were written last year...

Also... Lets all pray that this snow thing doesn't last long. I know its all melting and stuff, but I dont want it to snow again... ._.; Even though...the month of March is the snowiest (is that a word? Or did I just spell it wrong...?). Come on out sun! ^_^;

CapsuleCorp
03-07-2004, 09:19 PM
ooo panel-age! *bounce* Thanks for the heads-up! Now I know how early I have to get up each morning to spike my hair. ;)

I know the feeling, PorcelainSakura. I always think that the quality of my reproductions makes them worth entering, but I can never think of schtick. That's the one drawback to wanting to compete, for me. A can-can dress is easy to perform with, however Dende or Gohan is not.

as for never going to an all-anime con before...well! :) Last year's ACen was my first all-anime con, after going to bunches of sci-fi cons. It was the springboard to my complete otakudom. Sure, I didn't know what was going on half the time, and had no idea what most people were cosplaying, but since then - less than a year's time - I've learned so much and gotten so immersed in it. And I have to say I had way more fun than at any other con all year. So, don't be afraid, jump right on in! You never know what you'll learn.

Bobio Inevuana
03-08-2004, 06:18 AM
Good advice, Capsule. ^__^ Maybe its not too late to start saving for Otakon. I heard it was one of the bigger conventions out there. And in...where...Baltimore is it? But hotel blocking... Thats gonna suck.

Serria
03-08-2004, 08:40 PM
^___^ I'll jump right in... besides, "anime expert" is pretty relative, isn't it? I mean, I can recognize Pikachu and Sailor Moon. :D And out of process of elimination, I think I could recognize an "Inuyasha" or "Kenshin". Bwahaha!

I really want to go to Otakon... pretty expensive, though, both hotel and traveling. >_<

CapsuleCorp
03-08-2004, 09:14 PM
This is going to be my first year at Otakon, but I've been to giant-sized cons of other types, so I'm not worried. Vacation, here I come!

SongofAmazon
03-08-2004, 09:46 PM
question- does anyone think I'll be inconvenienced terribly by not staying at the hotel and commuting (45 minutes about) instead? There's no way I'll be staying at the hotel, as my mom is qutie against it as she doesn't know what kind of wierd people will be lurking about the con.

Bobio Inevuana
03-09-2004, 08:39 AM
Aww.... thats to bad, Song. I wanted to know someone who had experienced the hotel side of Cons... ;_; Is your mom really that willing to drive you back and forth everyday to the con? Sheesh... If I asked my mom to do that, she'd kill me. ^_^; I guess its really up to you.

PorcelainSakura
03-09-2004, 02:58 PM
question- does anyone think I'll be inconvenienced terribly by not staying at the hotel and commuting (45 minutes about) instead? There's no way I'll be staying at the hotel, as my mom is qutie against it as she doesn't know what kind of wierd people will be lurking about the con.
Depends on how long you stay. The only thing at night is really gonna be parties, dancing, and videos. So it isn't a huge thing to miss, just fun to stay out late. You mentioned this was your first con, so its okay to take it slow. I had a friend stay all weekend at Convergence and it was her first con, she got too overwhelmed and burnt out saturday afternoon.

todd13
03-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Update for everyone. I still wont be able to make it. more money problems. long long story and this isnt the place to put it. Maybe next year though.

Bobio Inevuana
03-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Oh! Porcelain, could you answer a question for me? Its about parties... Are those only for the people who actually rented a room? ^_^;

Serria
03-09-2004, 05:02 PM
^ I've gone to parties at other cons where I didn't rent a room... I think you just need to have a night pass, or a weekend pass, which is the only kind Anime Detour is selling. Or if you need a room I guess I just managed to not get caught. ^_^

Hyperion
03-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Now I have about 3 people that all want to come with me... they all live 30 more minutes away from my moms house that I will be staying at, so they all want to sleep over at my house. Ugha Ugha. What do I do? lol

-Hype

Bobio Inevuana
03-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Serria- Thank you for your advice! ^_^ I'm glad theres no real rule about that kind of stuff. If I'm not too exhausted from my endeavors durring the day, I might try to join one of the parties. ^___^

Hype- Let em stay! (but make em pay rent.) Haha! Just kidding! (but really... at least make them pay gas money ^o^)

<(^^ <) ^( ^^ )> (> ^^)^ <--Its kirby doing the robot.

Hyperion
03-09-2004, 06:45 PM
Bobio - Lol. Nice. I was planning on charging gas money anyways (actually one is making my costume so I'm giving him a ride there). The only thing that worries me is that one of them is dirty, so I told him if he wanted to stay in my house he would have to take a shower and brush his teeth...it was quite hilarious, until he punched me.

And you stole my kirby...now kirby is pissed! t('-'t) ... (Kirby flippin' you off!)

CapsuleCorp
03-09-2004, 09:15 PM
poor todd! we'll miss you.

I would guess the parties are the same as at any con - as long as you're going to the con, they'll let you into their party. Hell, sometimes that isn't even a requirement. ;)

I'm not a drinker, though, so if it's THOSE kinds of parties, I'll gladly dance my night away instead.

Bobio Inevuana
03-10-2004, 05:44 AM
Yeah... If its one of those parties, I dont think I'll be going. :p But if its just simple fun, I'll try to get in there. ^_^ You've had an experience with that?

Hype- I've never felt so fuzzly while being flicked off before. ^_____^ However, Kirby loves me more (ha). <( '-'^) So your friend has a hygeine problem? Ick... I've known a kid like that before... nasty suckers, aren't they?

Serria
03-11-2004, 05:14 PM
LOL! That flippin' Kirby made me giggle.

At one fantasy-sci-fi con I went to, I sorta kinda new a guy that just walked in and started eating one party's candy. He was also in the MORP (that's what it's called, right? Where you pretend to be a character...? Heh.) He lasted a long time before he got caught. >_<; But yeah. Have a pass. I'll stay away from alchohol parties. I think this is just an all round good idea for fourteen year old girls.

PorcelainSakura
03-11-2004, 06:12 PM
I would guess the parties are the same as at any con - as long as you're going to the con, they'll let you into their party. Hell, sometimes that isn't even a requirement. ;)

Sometimes parties are private, but those usually aren't announced and they check at the door friends. The rule I was taught: if it's in the public party area or has flyers or the door is open you can go in. Yeah, sometimes people ghost but I personally think that is poor con manners.

PorcelainSakura
03-11-2004, 06:14 PM
He was also in the MORP (that's what it's called, right? Where you pretend to be a character...? Heh.) \
I think you're referring to a LARP ^_^
(Live Action Role Play)

CapsuleCorp
03-11-2004, 08:13 PM
Yeah, ghosting is very bad manners. I've never done it, but I have friends in the Chicago Garrison that have done it at small cons like Capricon and stuff. Dorks. I prefer fun parties. It does look from the site map at the AD website that they have some first-floor rooms near the consuite designated as party rooms, so I'd assume those will be public parties.

Heh, wonder if CONvergence will be cross-recruiting via a party like AD did at last CONvergence. ;)

PorcelainSakura
03-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Yeah, I think that's their intention. It seems lots of cons hold parties at other cons to get people interested/register. I didn't see AD had a party at convergence, but then I didn't get around to many of the parties this last year.

tatsmaru
03-12-2004, 01:59 PM
we let the hotel bag guy and some man in a suit into our party at acen, so you dont always have to be a guest, just a cool/nice person. But from the volunteer meeting for detour it seems that the partyroom block is for any people planning on having public con parties, and there will be a board or signs for different parties, along with (im assuming) the usual flyers. there will surely be other parties but those are more likely to be invite only..
"I'll stay away from alchohol parties. I think this is just an all round good idea for fourteen year old girls."
couldnt have said it better, besides would it really be that fun to spend your night with a bunch of drunk stinky otaku instead of friendly ones who know that no matter what they shouldnt grope the washu? you have all weekend to deal with those folks, spend the evening at parties (or gamerooms/video rooms) with people who want to party the same way as you.... (besides i'm rangering saturday late night, I enjoy busting drunks, and surprising well behaved parties with happiness)
-tats

am i crazy?!?

Hyperion
03-12-2004, 03:12 PM
^ Crazy you just may be!

I'm so lazy... I was gonna make some hooks (chinese weapons) for the culture fest at my high school, but I didn't want to cut anything out so I just bought a 5'6" wooden dowl and said it was my bo/staff. I just have to paint it...

No updates on my costume. I will have to get it done over spring break. And I still need to register... anyone want to donate to the "Give Bud Twenty Dollars So He Can Register For Anime Detour Fund?"

-Hype

SongofAmazon
03-13-2004, 04:24 PM
*runs in circles* I'm suddenly in a panic after having gone to three fabric stores and unable to find any of the materials I need for the rest of my Mercury myu fuku. I shall be hunting some more this week and during spring break too.

So what exactly are party rooms anyway?

CapsuleCorp
03-14-2004, 09:07 PM
pretty much what it says - a room where there's a party going on. :)

Serria
03-14-2004, 09:23 PM
LARP! I knew that. I really did. *cough cough* *MORP is the mock prom thing that goes on in our school where you dress up in humourous costumes instead of prom dresses... cough*

Parties have lots of candy!!!! And socializing! And sometimes dancing, but usually more socializing.

Bobio Inevuana
03-15-2004, 06:20 AM
We had MORP at our school too. It was a new concept for us this year. ^_^;

Anime in Japan is supposed to be for little kids, right? I was talking to this older guy from Japan and he sort of looked at me funny when I told him about anime. I seems kids ranging in ages 8-14 usually watch that stuff. "Its very exaggerated. Their faces look like children but they have bodies of nineteen year olds. Its what little kids wish they had." We were looking at a picture of Utena at the time. I hadn't even looked at it that way until he showed me that. ^_^; But I don't care! Little kids have it very good in Japan! They actually get good cartoons instead of the patronizing stupid American ones that we've had to suffer through. ^_^ He also told me that American printing in our magazines sucks compared to the Japanese quality. Of course, no Japanese guy would be so direct in saying it that way... But I got the drift.

Hyperion
03-15-2004, 03:04 PM
lol, true true. And it is aimed towards younger kids in Japan. I guess it's just the mindset of what is okay over here and over there. We wouldn't accept "our" children to watch language filled cartoons, but the Japanese don't seem to have a problem. Its the same how we let people over here be somewhat individual as in styles, but most people don't accept rebels in Japan, they all like to conform.

Anyways, less than two weeks...ahg... I'm getting stressed, cause my costume is no where near done and my keyblade is half finished and I still have to paint it! AHHHHHh

-Hype

Serria
03-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Anime in Japan is a kid's thing? I heard that it was directed toward young adults in general, even in the 20 range... but what do I know? Some anime is pretty "mature" though, if you know what I mean. Things that I wouldn't let my 8 year old kid watch. :D

CapsuleCorp
03-15-2004, 09:31 PM
Anime in Japan isn't a genre, it's a medium - like film, photography, music, etc is a medium. there are kiddie series (Pokemon, Digimon) and there are adult series, and even more extreme examples. It's NOT limited to "cartoons are for kids" like they are here. Strange that someone from Japan would think that...my friend's Japanese husband told me that everyone watches it, to some extent. They simply don't have the stigma over there that anything animated is automatically for kids.

Bobio Inevuana
03-16-2004, 06:10 AM
Good point. Maybe it was because he was kinda old... There are quite a few series that deal with the more mature themes. Hm. Maybe he just doesn't know much about anime to be talking about it in the first place. He was talking an awful lot that night...

Oh! And there are rebels in Japan!!! ^__^ Have you ever read the fashion book called Fruits? Its a collection of Japanese styles and a lot of them are quite over the top. Some photographer went around looking for "fruits" as I call them (^_^) and there were people from pretty much every genra and even new genra's that I've never seen before.

Wahh!! Keep working at it hype!! I'm sure a lot of us are still working out the bugs in our costumes too. I hope you can get it done in time!

Serria
03-16-2004, 04:16 PM
That's what I thought... I'm sure there's some Japanese who think that anime is dumb, but I was told that it was pretty much for everyone..

Hey, what is everyone wearing on what days? Do you know yet?

Hyperion
03-16-2004, 05:58 PM
There are rebels in Japan, it is just shunned upon by those that follow conformaty, sort of how we do with those not in our cliques (sp?). We shun upon them, or we just don't seem to get along with them.

-Hype

Oh yeah, and I will be wearing Sora Friday and Saturday for sure, not sure about Sunday. I might wear it...might not?

Another update: I am finally preregistered! Yay go me! I put my nickname as Hyperion so most of you members could find me!

CuteButDeadly
03-16-2004, 08:23 PM
My friend told me that in Japan even when they rebel they all rebel together. She was talking about the J-Rock look because apparently every body that isn't wearing attire or wearing a school uniform is sporting the J-Rock look.

CapsuleCorp
03-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I know my schedule by day. I'm keeping it simple - Gohan Friday, Hiei Saturday, and Yami Yugi Sunday. But I've got basically four Hiei outfits, and a special shirt for the dance, so I'll probably be switching between them throughout the day. Depends on how many other Hieis show up and whether they look like crap. ;)

I'm so bad.

CuteButDeadly
03-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Oh yeah my costumes
Friday-Chi
Saturday-Super School Girl Rikku

PorcelainSakura
03-16-2004, 08:49 PM
Friday and Sunday- EGL
Saturday- Chii

Bobio Inevuana
03-17-2004, 06:09 AM
'll be sporting Anthy Sat & Sun, I think. I wish I had more costumes...
Only 9 more preparation days!!!

CuteButDeadly
03-17-2004, 04:18 PM
I think I will only be wearing Chi and not Rikku I don't have the money to finish it. So Saturday- Chi

Hyperion
03-17-2004, 07:31 PM
Oh god. 9 more days to stress about my costume. I still need to have my friend sew it....then I need to make the things on the guys shoulder...the belts, the metal things around the yellow straps...the mini belts on the shoulder... need to find gloves... deep breaths...and I need to finish my weapon...which I will probably spend all day saturday on... Nya...

Oh yeah...registering members is up to 500 so far! YAY more people to judge my costume!

-Hype

PockyBunny
03-17-2004, 09:23 PM
500? Wow. I didn't register, my parents are like, "at the end of 3rd qtr. we'll see how your grades are" which is like this Friday.

My grandma stopped over again today. she's helping out,as you know. We're nearly done!

Could you all do me a favor? Could you PM or e-mail me telling me what your costume is and what your badgename will be? I don't have time to skim through the posts, this way is much easier.

DeadLegato
03-17-2004, 11:21 PM
I already posted this, but I'll do it again...
Friday- Akabane Kuroudo, (Get Backers) assuming I can get this $#$@#%@ hat to work. (has been trying all day.)
Saturday- Cis (Animatrix) and my dear costume-hostage, Nate, will be doing Agent (Animatrix) with me.
Sunday- Either Akabane again or some random EGL. Undecided at the moment.

Hyperion
03-17-2004, 11:37 PM
Hey Legato!

My friends got a Neo costume, well, he has the trench. I will see if maybe he wants to bring it and maybe we could take some group shots? The other two people that are coming with me are going all three days with out a costume. One of them really won't care though because he is just going to stalk the Rikku cosplayers, and if he wears what he says he was going to wear, a pirate costume, it could turn out quite hilarious!

-Hype

Serria
03-18-2004, 04:32 PM
I'm not done with my costume either, so don't worry. ^_^

I don't expect that I'll get there until later Friday, thus, I'm not sure if I'll wear costume then. Saturday is probably when I'll wear my (newly completed) Aeris Gainsborough. I doubt that I'll bring my Lady of Avalon costume, just because that's more fantasy-sci fi than Japanese product, heh.

Bobio Inevuana
03-18-2004, 05:08 PM
My mom was getting really paranoid about whether or not AD got my money. She began trailing off on a long rant about it all being some scam to get all of our money and then we never hear from them again and then we're all out on a few bucks. So I emailed them this:

Sorry I had to email this to you. I was unable to post it on the forum because its acting screwy. So!

Some of my friends and I are getting a little concerned about registration. We've all registered, sent out the money and everything, but haven't heard anything of it. Basically, we're all wondering what happened to our money. Did it get to you guys okay? Are you guys planning to send out confirmations so that we're a little more confident that we're getting in or not?

Do you think I sounded a little too hostile? My bad...
And they replied with this:

R.T. Shwaa,
I hear you. Part of the reason that you haven't heard anything is that as a first-year convention we are very short-staffed. We have exactly one person (me) doing the registration work, and since January I've been swamped, since I'm also keeping the books and doing work on the video committee. That having been said (i.e., enough whining, I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ^__^) I am planning on finishing up the Big List of Pre-Registered People this week and getting one last progress report out in the e-mail to everyone. In the meantime, I can look you up if you give me your name - can't seem to find the e-mail address you're using.
I'm also sorry that the forums are acting weird. I've cc'd our webmaster on this so he's aware of the problem.
See you a week from Friday!

Kevin Trainor
AD Registration

I just have to compliment Kevin on his speedy reply! He got this back to me the next day! ^___^ Now my mom will finally be forced to shut up. I love you mom. :-p

PorcelainSakura
03-18-2004, 05:48 PM
No that's not unreasonable. The only reason I'm being trusting is cause thier a local club and a first year con (so kinda disorganized).

edit:
Just looked at the boards and they have stuff posted in thier registration thread. It basically comes down to being too too busy. Mail confirmations take lots of people to do (remembers stuffing envelopes for convergence) so email is how they're trying to do it.

CapsuleCorp
03-18-2004, 08:45 PM
Hm. Yeah, I was wondering about that myself. Some kind of confirmation would be good. I know my check has been cashed, finally, but I don't have any kind of stub or canceled check to show as proof. If their forums weren't screwed up I'd post asking what to do in that case.

but, if they're emailing, I guess I'll watch for an email to come across my inbox. Now I can't remember which email address I put on my form. Ergh.

PorcelainSakura
03-18-2004, 10:00 PM
This is the address you have to use for the forums:
http://www.animedetour.com/phpBB2/

They mentioned in the gen. announcements thread that there was a problem and this would fix it.

Here is the "Do you have my reg?" thread:
http://www.animedetour.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=266

It sounds like they might only have one (or very few) registration people, so I feel rather sorry for them. I know it takes a lot of work.

Serria
03-21-2004, 08:27 AM
I didn't pre register after all... d'you think that's bad?

CapsuleCorp
03-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Nah, you should be fine. You just have to pay a little more. :)

Well, I know which address to watch for the confirmation email, now, but I have my doubts about getting it before I leave Thursday. I just hope that being a small con, they'll easily find my badge by name with my ID and I won't have to prove I paid already.

grandis
03-22-2004, 08:45 AM
Hey guys!

Nemo and I are ready to head up your way! We'll be going to Minneapolis on Thursday, and we'll be at the convention bright and early Friday morning.

Blue's contacts are here, so finally all the suits are in hand. Here's what we got planned.

Nemo: Ruka from Utena, Ashram from Lodoss War, Roger Smith from the Big O.
Grandis: Natsuki from Hyper Police, Haruka from Nadesico, Haruka Shitow from Rah Xephon (call it a whim!), Blue from Wolf's Rain, Pirotase from Lodoss War, R. Dorothy Waynewright from the Big O.

Yeah, if we can only get all that in the car!

Anyway, we're looking forward to seeing folks and having a good time. :)

Catherine

Bobio Inevuana
03-22-2004, 06:38 PM
O-oh! Grandis you are so cool! ^__^ Fluent Japanese!? O_O; I'm having a hard time learning the basics in school... Did you ever go to Japan and live there? Oh! And out of curiousity, were you ever into the Rocky Horror Picture show stuff? Or was that too weird for you? I only ask because my mother lived through that craze (taking it to the point where she dressed up and performed on stage as Magenta infront of the big movie screen while people watched...), and some of it has rubbed off on me. That movie is so messed up. ^_^

CapsuleCorp
03-22-2004, 09:22 PM
LOL understatement, Bobo. ;)

Yay grandis!! Looking forward to seeing you and Nemo again. My Starblazers-uniformed friend will be glad to know he's not the only over-25 cosplayer there. ;)

grandis
03-22-2004, 10:12 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing you too, CC. Star Blazers? That's a neat show! I'm looking forward to seeing your friend's suit.

Bobio, I lived through the craze, but that wasn't my thing. I spent most of my college years dressing up for comic book cons. I am the spandex queen. ^-~

I studied Japanese at the University of Iowa for four years, and went to Japan for a summer intensive 5th year. I've been 3 times, and I'm taking students this summer. Sadly, I've never gotten to go to a cosplay event in Japan, but I hope to some day.

See you guys real soon!

Grandis

Bobio Inevuana
03-23-2004, 06:31 AM
Wow! You're going to Japan!! When are you going this summer? I'm going on a delegation this summer to Izumi in the middle of June. Bloomington is a Sister City of it. We'll be going to Kyoto Nara, and Osaka, I think. Are you doing the thing where you live with a house family? Where have you been in Japan?

Capsule- Heh, did you like the Rocky Horror Picture show too? Its hard to find people who actally get into that stuff around here. Tim Curry in fishnets... ^_____^

grandis
03-23-2004, 08:18 AM
Wow! You're going to Japan!! When are you going this summer? I'm going on a delegation this summer to Izumi in the middle of June. Bloomington is a Sister City of it. We'll be going to Kyoto Nara, and Osaka, I think. Are you doing the thing where you live with a house family? Where have you been in Japan?

Capsule- Heh, did you like the Rocky Horror Picture show too? Its hard to find people who actally get into that stuff around here. Tim Curry in fishnets... ^_____^

We'll be going last week of July/First week of August. I'm actually taking students to learn to draw comics. We'll be in Tokyo at a school there.

I've been all over: Tokyo, Nara, Hiroshima, and Kyoto. Most of my time has been spent in Kansai, in Hikone, sort of in Kyoto's backyard, on Lake Biwa. I did live with a family then.

:)

Grandis