PDA

View Full Version : Superhero Masks

AliceMalice
06-17-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm going to be making a Black Spider-man and a Deadpool mask and I wanted to know if anyone had any tips on making a full face spandex mask.

I can never get the shape of the head to look like, for one. And I'm never sure of how to do the eye holes.

I know this is a really tough part of superhero cosplays, so any help would be most appreciated!

GlassCannon
06-17-2010, 09:48 PM
There are a couple of places online that have good tutorials. Stretchy.org (http://www.stretchy.org/) is particularly good, but there are others. Search online for "zentai suit" -- those are the full spandex suits with the hoods (and hands and feet). You might also want to join TheSuperheroCostumingForum (http://thesuperherocostumingforum.com/). It's all superhero costuming (mostly Marvel and DC, but others as well), very friendly, grown-up community, very helpful. They've got good list of tutorials there, too.

xcodevocaloidx
06-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Or buying one would be easier. haha.

Rayonea
07-18-2010, 09:52 PM
I always find that the easiest way is just to get a styrofoam wig head and pin the spandex on it. Usually there's a seam up the back of the head and a dart that goes perpendicular to it across the top of the head to get it to lie flat. But it depends on the design, really. Just do some careful pinning and experiment. If you have some extra spandex, you can make a mock up or two and see what you like best.

TheRad1
07-28-2010, 02:30 AM
I've been looking for a way to make or find the Black Spider-Man mask for years, I finally broke down and tried buying a mask at the last minute and boy did it work out. Mask was phenomenally made for a great cheap price(I think like 14.99 or sumthin like that). Deadpool however, I'm not really sure how to help with that one. Just peruse around online at costume stores, I'll try and find a link or something to show you the mask I got. Totally worth it!

Mallysan
08-27-2010, 01:10 PM
about that mask... how did they go about it to do the eyes? just to see through them? it doesnt look like they actually got holes in or anything...