PDA

View Full Version : Dilandau of Escaflowne

Hikaru Tsuki
09-18-2003, 06:56 PM
Of all my costumes, this was the most expensive and time-consuming. It's also one I would like to give an upgrade. So far a wig is in the works, but not much else. Suggestions?

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=28349&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=28351&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=3

Ali
09-18-2003, 07:51 PM
I love the way it's so tailored... great job.

Maybe if you felt like attempting to make boots instead of just covers, but I have to say that for boot covers, these are really nicely done.

Koumori
09-19-2003, 11:04 AM
I second the suggestion for whole boots instead of covers. You did a very nice job on the jacket, shaping the shoulder pieces and spikes, but in the picture of you on the couch, the boot covers are the first thing you see, and to my eyes they take away from the overall "finished" look of the piece.

Space Invader
09-19-2003, 07:51 PM
You probably can make the whole boots just by sewing on a pleather bottom to the bootcovers... or go buy a cheap pair of flip-flops from your local Eckerds and cut the soles off and use those.

Maybe stuff the vinyl shoulderpads a little more? Just so they're nice and firm, and less wrinkly.

Other than the boots and pads (and your wig situation, which you are taking care of), it looks great. You make an awesome Dil. =D

Rethul
09-20-2003, 12:25 AM
This may not really be a *costume* issue per say, but I beleive your pose is way off for Dilandau in the first picture. Dilandau is always a disgruntled person with a huge violent streak coupled with some pyromania. Maybe instead of the classed hero pose, try and look more like your want to pick a fight with someone bigger than you. Other than that great costume.

(Note: sorry If I seem harsh but I'm very into pose and posture in cosplay)

Karisu-sama
09-21-2003, 10:54 PM
I disagree with Rethul. ~__^ Dilandau is indeed a disgruntled person with a huge violent streak, but has a full range of emotional expression like everyone else - your first pose has that particularly pleased "cat got the cream" look of someone who has just done something delightfully mean...

I really like your costume. ^^

As far as tips, I agree with others about the boot covers. I also suggest you might possibly want to eventually replace the shoulder armor with a hard-shell version, whether over foam or not. And it might be useful to remake the belt with a stiff liner inside it. If you remake the whole jacket at some point, technically the overskirt with its button straps is a separately removable piece (with photos it's not so easy to tell, but it looks sewn on there)- but this is a minor quibble.

yukitoLeonheart
09-21-2003, 11:16 PM
I agree with the lovely Karisu, Dilandu isn't really an evil person, also there have been points where she switched back to her loving self. She is just misunderstood. Your costume is adorbale, I think you tailored it amazingly, edit the boots and make them stand out more for perfection. Already, if I saw you at a con I would be like.... AHH and take your picture though. Also, one Dilandu I enjoy is Karisus, it's uber cute...... ;-)

Cait
09-22-2003, 12:44 AM
On the posing for pictures: Take off the glasses when you pose. You might not have contacts/like contacts/be able to afford contacts, but it doesn't matter! Glasses are easily removed. When you pose for pictures or when you have someone take your picture, take off the glasses and either hold them under your hand at an angle the camera can't see or stick them on top of the other things you invariably have to set down to pose.