PDA

View Full Version : Detangling long wigs

Michela
09-18-2003, 08:41 PM
I have a few long wigs, (3-4 feet) and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to keep them detangled without losing too much fiber. My usual method is to wash it in a baisin of water and shampoo, put conditioner on the extremely tangled areas, and using a soft brush to brush it through while holding it up in the shower. The main problem is whenever I brush any of my wigs, long or short, I lose quite a bit of fiber. Does anyone have any tips to detangle and maintain a long wig?

I appreciate your tips and experiences. ^_^

Sarcasm-hime
09-19-2003, 01:59 PM
Everything I've been told about wigs includes "NEVER brush/comb wigs when they're wet"...*shrug*

Michela
09-19-2003, 02:22 PM
Ah, that's mostly because the style of the wig comes undone while wet, but I've had no problems with brushing wet wigs... I've pretty much given up on detangling my long wigs, though, as once I rid them of one clump of tangles, another appears o.O

Tiirz
09-19-2003, 04:59 PM
With your fingers? Seriously. I'd finger comb them.

usagi
09-19-2003, 08:05 PM
!dude! i have a method to keep long wigs from getting tangeled ;p IM me when your online k ^_~. or post exactly what you need help on on your LJ and ill get back to you on there :p

Hitomi chan
09-20-2003, 02:28 AM
heeey don't just keep it in private!!! please share your secret!!! i have the same problem with my chii wig :(
I've heard that you have to comb them with a natural brush, not a plastic one, I've tried that but it doesn't work very well, the tangles don't get undone and still it loses a lot of fiber

SailorMo
09-20-2003, 01:34 PM
I feel your pain... >.< well, this is my experience with detangling:

Tools: jar of pomade and a metal pronged pik

Pomade is like a conditioner-- Just rub a little on your fingertips, and then rub your hands a bit to distribute it evenly, so it just coats your hands. Then gently stroke the hair and work it through. Too much and it will get greasy. It will calm the hair and relax any curls as well.

Now the real work-- Work in small sections at a time. After the pomading, the minor tangles should come apart fairly easy with your fingers. It'll look a bit like halloween cobwebs. If you have to pull the hair away, pull gently. If you have knots, try to separate the section further, then pick out one hair at a time 'til it gets its smallest. You won't be able to save all the hair in the knot. Start from the bottom and gently pick through the tangles as you work up the length of the hair. You should be able to gently comb straight down once the tangles are out. If it gets unruly while you're doing this, stop and spritz it with a little water and let it sit for about an hour to calm down. For the stubborn spots, hold the hair in your other hand as you comb to alleviate tension at the "roots".

To reduce tangling while in storage/transport, the loose styles, like my Megumi wig, I just loosely twist the length up into the cap and then put it back into the hairnet it came in. For the other 2-- Sailor Cosmos & Sailor Moon-- I wrap the pigtails in ribbon-- I anchor the ribbon at the cap and just criss-cross it down and tie it in a bow.

I still lose a few hairs tho, but I suppose it's unavoidable...

Beware_UY7
09-20-2003, 01:40 PM
Whenever you brush anything: start from the bottom. If there are large knots and you brush from the top, it will just push the knots down and make them worse. So if you work in small sections and begin combing at the bottom, then slowly work your way up, you shouldn't lose too much hair. Just be really gentle.

Michela
09-20-2003, 07:51 PM
!dude! i have a method to keep long wigs from getting tangeled ;p IM me when your online k ^_~. or post exactly what you need help on on your LJ and ill get back to you on there :p

Usagi-chan, I love you so much! :::Triple hug::: (I just had to say that to the Wig Master XD)

Everyone, thank you for all of your help! SailorMo, I'll definitely try your method... Beware_UY7, thanks for reminding me! (Having curly hair, I always start at the bottom, but I always forget to do that with wigs ^_^;; )

Michela
09-21-2003, 01:34 PM
Just to update, I tried a combination of all of these tips, and they worked beautifully! Thank you all very much!
I now have a new tip for anyone who is interested: At one point, I brushed the wig so much it became extremely frizzy, but once it was detangled, I dampened it a bit in the shower and added some Frizz-ease leave-in conditioner, and it made the wig look absolutely radient once it dried. It also smells great. ^_^

Viviane_neechan
02-01-2014, 02:58 PM
(I'm glad you were able to get it under control, Michela--tangly wigs are supremely frustrating!)

Just wanted to add a little something I used for anyone who might visit this in the future...(it was super-easy)

http://www.divinecaroline.com/beauty/hair/easy-wig-care-tips-how-detangle-wig

Basically it's just 1 part fabric softener to 4 parts water in a spray bottle. I used the techniques on this page and was actually able to fishtail-braid some 35" wefts!