PDA

View Full Version : Please! Need help with making metal looking armor :)

Gabbana
06-24-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm not sure if I'm posing this in the correct spot so forgive me if I"m not. I'm very new to this lol.

My boyfriend and I are going to Blizzcon this year. He has been playing forever and I have been playing for about a year, I've always loved costumes and thought this would be a great event to dress up at!

So here I am... Kinda clueless lol

This is what I am planning on making:

http://iusbvision.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/sylvanas-windrunner.jpg

I want it to look like real metal but I'm 95-100lbs, it can't be anything too heavy.... Here is where my problem comes in, I just don't know what to use to make the shoulders/chest/boots and all the pieces that look like metal or at least hard armor.

I thought about using Bondo from watching a guy's video on how to make a Halo helmet but I'm afraid it would be too heavy once it's all done, does anyone know if it will? I thought about craft foam too but didn't think it would be durable enough, even if I fiberglass it... Can anyone spare some time and help me out? ANY suggestions, comments, anything at all will be much appreciated.

Zil
07-14-2010, 12:23 PM
I've never made a costume with this much armor, but I had some really nice results for a Tifa elbow pad. I used a cardboard base in the shape I wanted with a layer of fiberglass over top to give the piece some strength, and then coated it in paperclay. I got a smooth finish without having to sand fiberglass (which I hear is a pain.) It's got some thickness to it like real armor and it's really light as well. Not sure how well this would work for a whole costume (that's a lot of paperclay :O) but it might be worth a shot.

fev
07-14-2010, 12:46 PM
its all about the painting!! as long as you get whatever shape you're aiming for, if you can lay down some paint that can give it a metallic feel, you'lll be good to go!

A prime example is this guy http://aarondeadspace.blogspot.com/ http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=186790 (he used insulation foam, craft foam and cardboard! All light materials, and completely left me guessing :)

use whatever you want, lay down a few coats of gesso (or an epoy coat if you choose insulation or styrofoam, lest your workget eaten by spraypaint) then cpray it with either a mettalic or hammer metallic coat (i prefer the latter), and do some washes of blacks & browns ;)

Gabbana
07-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Thank you both for responding to my post! I really appreciate you guy taking the time to help me out :)

I think the insulation foam would be a great idea, as well as using the craft foam. Do you know where I can get craft foam from? I tried Robert's and Micheal's craft stores but they never have them in.... Think Hobbylobby will have it?

I will probably try out the paperclay to build up the thinkness after making the base with the foams.

As for the paint, what brands and types (spray paint, airbrush or brush on kind) would you recommend Fev?

Thank you guys so much for your ideas, this is going to help SO much! :)

ChilmarkGryphon
07-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Be careful with using rigid materials over flexible ones; if your craft foam flexes, the paperclay won't flex with it, it'll just break. Cardboard + paper mache + paperclay would work well, though. The awesome thing about WoW cosplay is that you can use papercraft software to make flat patterns out of the 3D models :) Then you can make your base out of cardboard according to the pattern, smooth the polygons out with cheap paperclay like Celluclay, and detail it with fine-grain paperclay. I know Sylvanas' in-game model is very simple when compared to the concept art, but at least you'd have a starting point?
Here's (http://fxconsole.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-to-convert-game-models-into.html) a tutorial for game model -> papercraft conversion.

SushiKai
07-15-2010, 02:07 PM
the armor in that pictures doesn't really look metal, so really it's down to how you paint it, any metal parts can be easily made to look the part by priming them in black acrylic, or latex based paint, and then dry brushing (it's a specific painting technique, a google search will help with that) silver onto the black.

Mnemeth17
07-15-2010, 04:08 PM
From your picture, it looks like the character is wearing leather armor versus "real" metallic armor. It is very textured and not too shiny, which is why I say this. For that type of look, I suggest using either real leather (a bit expensive and need special tools/paints) or craft foam for the armor. If you use craft foam, go for the thicker kind (3/8" I think?), which will be inherently more durable. You could also go for wonderflex (a moldable thermoplastic), but I have had no experience with that myself.

If you want to do the paperclay armor, I suggest using Jia Jem's tutorial, which includes a special part about texturizing the armor with a special spray paint slightly before painting the final color. Leather and craft foam have more texture to them than sanded paperclay in my opinion. Your final sealing coat should be matte finish, and not shiny/gloss.

If you go with craft foam, it can be found at Michael's in 12" x 18" sheets, which is the largest size I could find there. Be sure to pick black or dark blue to match the final color of your armor. Use flexible paint, like Rub N Buff wax paint, which I know comes in cobalt blue (the character armor has a blueish tint to it) but I don't know about darker colors. Finally, don't worry if you get crazing (small wrinkles/cracks that form when bent too far) in the final armor- I find that weathering these wrinkles lightly makes armor look even more old and battle damaged!

Finally, you might want to ask how Fran cosplayers do her battle outfit- the look of Fran's armor seems very similar to the final effect you want on your character (or at least that's what I thought of when looking at your reference picture!) Fran reference here: http://www.eyesonff.com/ff12/images/ff12-fran.jpg

Good luck! :)

martyk
07-15-2010, 04:47 PM
May I recomend taking a gander at this tutorial (http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html). It looks like it should work for what you have in mind.

fev
07-15-2010, 10:02 PM
*facepalm* totoally forgot abput hat helmsdeep tutorial.. seconding martyk's suggestion!

Gabbana
07-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Oh wow!! Thanks to everyone that took their time to help me out! I really appreciate this :)

ChilmarkGryphon, you make a good point about flexing, I totally didn't think of that! I'll have to mess around with some craft foam like martyk suggested. By the way, that person did a fantastic job with the tutorial, thank you for the link!

Mnemeth17, do you know what company makes the craft foam? My Micheal's isn't too helpful and whenever I go in to see if they have craft foam, they just tell me no. Not, "No, but we'll get some more" or "No, we don't carry it at this store" Just a simple "No". Pretty frustrating and I may just have to order online.

I have an airbrush machine and I'm decent-ok at airbrushing, do you still think dry brushing is better SushiKai?

Mnemeth17
08-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Mnemeth17, do you know what company makes the craft foam? My Micheal's isn't too helpful and whenever I go in to see if they have craft foam, they just tell me no. Not, "No, but we'll get some more" or "No, we don't carry it at this store" Just a simple "No". Pretty frustrating and I may just have to order online.

I don't know what company makes them but I am baffled that your Michael's store doesn't carry them.That's a total shame, since they are a craft store! I know Walmart carries them, I don't know the name brand, but if you look in the crafting section they will be there advertised as fun foam, craft foam, crafties, foam sheets, or a number of different names. They are sold in packages of printing paper sized and are multicolored. I found a package on the Joann's site: http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat3156&PRODID=zprd_02358075a&cm_mmc=Google%20Base-_-Comparison-_-Website-_-Fibre%20Craft%2011%27%27x17%27%27%20Foam%20Sheets-12PK/Multi&utm_source=Fibre%20Craft%2011%27%27x17%27%27%20Foa m%20Sheets-12PK/Multi&utm_medium=Comparison&utm_content=Website&utm_campaign=Google%20Base but that's a bit high priced...

~Haku~
08-02-2010, 02:01 AM
Oh wow!! Thanks to everyone that took their time to help me out! I really appreciate this :)

ChilmarkGryphon, you make a good point about flexing, I totally didn't think of that! I'll have to mess around with some craft foam like martyk suggested. By the way, that person did a fantastic job with the tutorial, thank you for the link!

I have an airbrush machine and I'm decent-ok at airbrushing, do you still think dry brushing is better SushiKai?

This sort of foam is called L200 Minicel foam. The primary use of it that I have found is in padding in boats and jet skis as it doesn't become damaged by water. Its structure is of many empty microscopic compartments or voids, giving it flexibility and impact absorbant, while at the same time maintaining its shape. I've seen that it is also employed as padding inside of helmets and the like. Heat can be used to manipulate its primary shape from flat to curved, or however you prefer it.
If you seach online, you will find many places that sell L200 minicel foam in large sheets at varying thicknesses. Look here, for example: http://www.foambymail.com/Minicel.html

I hope this helps at all. Good luck! ^_^

AnimeGamer
08-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Have you tried getting in contact with Volde? She was Sylvanas last year (http://webrender.net/volde/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/onstageblizzcon2009.jpg) and perhaps you can gain some insight on making your own Sylvanas. She might be a tad hard to get a hold of, considering that she has deleted her Cos.com account.

Ayabi
08-03-2010, 06:32 AM
I agree with the above poster and strongly suggest using leather. There are a number of tutorials available online, but I posted a couple of Wow-related ones in the Resource Compendium (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=216342). You can be as simple or complex in design as you desire with leather, and can even add additional raised pieces with contact cement for a more dramatic effect. Leather armor will give you an authentic look which will last for many years and many conventions. It is light and very comfortable to wear for extended hours. The cost is comparable to what you would pay for Foamie sheets, but buying tools can add up very quickly. Start with the basics and you'll be fine.

If you are having problems with adding bulk to the armor or end up using something stiff (like fiberglass), you can always use headliner padding to line your armor pieces. It's not very expensive and will go a long way if you are only lining pieces with a single layer. I prefer headliner to high density foam because it can be purchased in black and several other colors -- perfect for matching your armor.