PDA

View Full Version : T.W.O. dudes wandering if its worth the trip.

musashi3000gt
06-27-2010, 08:40 PM
So me and my hetero life mate where wondering how far people actually travel to this Metrocon shindig and if its worth the bother. We live in South Miami so its like 4 hours by road trip, 3 by GTO. Hes been in Iraq for the last 8 months and just got back in time to hit Supercon in Miami and he went ape-shit crazy loving it. Im wondering if its worth the time off from work and the drive cause so far I havent really been wowed by thier website or itinerary. Is this a small local show for the die hards or is it to like supercon scale?

BayushiKachiko
06-27-2010, 09:31 PM
It's bigger than SuperCon, for sure!

(Btw, I met you guys briefly at SuperCon. I was the chick with the cross-shaped staff) It's a great con--lots of fun, and really some top-notch costuming. If you have the time, you should go. =)

musashi3000gt
06-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Oh you were the babe that asked if we went around punching each other, yeah ofcourse we remember you!
Well it certainly looks bigger on paper, I think the site said 75K square feet. I manage a hangar thats 80K sq. feet so ya thats huge. The event calendar just looks like its lacking.
But if you says its worth it then I guess its road trip time.

Taisa_Azudragon
06-28-2010, 12:28 AM
Well Metrocon is the largest anime convention in Florida.
Megacon being our largest everything (From Anime to Sci-Fi) convention.
Both that I recommend you two should go to.

But anyway, if you're into anime/manga/video games, then you'll have a lot of fun at Metrocon. I've been to that convention for the past 4 years now so...yea. Really depends what you guys are going to a convention for. Won't be in a convention that's connected to a hotel like Supercon was. It'll be in an actual convention center. So that should give you a better idea how big it is.

Main events and the Artist Alley are usually placed upstairs, while volunteer/guest run events are downstairs, along with the video game room and the dealers. It's been this setup for the past two years, but they could have changed it up this year.

musashi3000gt
06-28-2010, 12:50 AM
See you guys know how to sell it. I was thinking it was a small shindig in a huge convention room but you guys make it sound badass!
see Im a car guy so I go to all these car shows and tunner market trade fairs, sometimes they rent arenas and close off the main hall into sections. So you think "oh wow Airlines Arena! big"....no it can be decieving.
But Metrocon sounds like teh hoTtnesS more and more everyday.

Thanks for the info Taisa!

Prota-Girl
06-28-2010, 01:59 AM
Yeah, it's a really fun place. And it's huge indoors and out1 Lots of fun things as well as panels to be in. The staffers are excellent and the tickets and people are really pleasant! ^^ It'd be awesome to see you guys there! :) I'd so spazz for a pic. xDD

onewingedjade
06-28-2010, 02:07 AM
You kidding? Do it! I drove 4 hours for Supercon.

PhantasmaJun
06-28-2010, 03:03 AM
I am coming from Tallahassee (4hrs aswell the ride is pleasant I leave at 3am on thursday morning XD cause I always like to have a non con day in the beautiful Tampa) and this will be my fifth year attending Metrocon it is amazing! I just have to go every year the cosplayers rock the shows are awesome and the dealer room is pretty darn big the best thing about metro is the people! The staff is easy going and informative and the congoers are well behaved and peaceful. This has to be one of my all time favorite conventions <3 plus pre-reg and you can pic up your ticket THURSDAY! which is a big help trust me XD the chess match is a must!

musashi3000gt
06-28-2010, 08:42 AM
This sound better and better everyday....I havent been to Tampa in a while I never even though about just hitting the town before the con.
Looks like we need some last minute mods since this thing is just about 4 weeks away.
thanks for all replies folks, and Prota-Girl we'll keep an eye out for ya.

BayushiKachiko
06-28-2010, 10:13 AM
I hope to see you guys there; I shall keep an eye out.

Also, if some of the evening events aren't suited to you...Ybor City is a five minute drive away. Just sayin'. A few years ago, a few of us went to the Castle on Saturday evening and had a blast. It's also (IMO) a much easier convention to be socialable at, when compared to SuperCon. More space to meander around, etc.

One thing I would recommend though, is if you come up for the whole weekend, stop at a grocery store before hand and get some nonperishable food stuffs, snacks, and water. It is no secret that the drinks and restaurants at ANY convention center are pricey, but unlike SuperCon, the options are more limited at Metro, in terms of what is in walking distance.

musashi3000gt
06-28-2010, 06:32 PM
if some of the evening events aren't suited to you...Ybor City is a five minute drive away. Just sayin'. A few years ago, a few of us went to the Castle on Saturday evening and had a blast.

That sounds like a plan! Did you guys go to the mall dressed up? cause that would rock....except me and Saldana would probably be shot on site but still.
We might catch an early dinner nearby, I'm curious as to what happens at these things after midnight.

KohakuWolf
06-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Go, for sure! I'd recommend it even if you were out of state!! It's my all-time favorite con. :)
Two of the MetroCon guests, Jen and Kelly, are coming all the way from the UK for it, if that's any indication of how awesome it is. :D

BayushiKachiko
06-28-2010, 09:03 PM
That sounds like a plan! Did you guys go to the mall dressed up? cause that would rock....except me and Saldana would probably be shot on site but still.
We might catch an early dinner nearby, I'm curious as to what happens at these things after midnight.

Hahah, for the mall thing, I don't do that, but I am certain there are people that do. If I go to the Castle, it's a whole different type of dressing up, lol.

Yeah, be careful with your prop weapons too. Make sure you get them checked upon entry, keep them in bags, etc.

onewingedjade
06-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Hahah, for the mall thing, I don't do that, but I am certain there are people that do. If I go to the Castle, it's a whole different type of dressing up, lol.

Yeah, be careful with your prop weapons too. Make sure you get them checked upon entry, keep them in bags, etc.

Can I go with you??? That looks amazing!

Miyuki Kurosawa
06-28-2010, 09:39 PM
if it makes you feel better, im from tennessee and i have been to metrocon every year except for two since it started ^^

musashi3000gt
06-28-2010, 10:02 PM

Shhh, only one of them was a prop, the other is a loan from my boys at the National Guard recruitment center. The cops where real pissed about that.

Sakenshi
06-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Shhh, only one of them was a prop, the other is a loan from my boys at the National Guard recruitment center. The cops where real pissed about that.

I had that happen to me, Three years ago at Metrocon! Counterstrike costumes, we didn't have our orange caution tips on, and we were in a parking garage with my brother's trunk open with all our gear in it. FUUU moment. Watch those parking garages they have security out the Back door!

SoedBlackChaos
06-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Metrocon offers quite a few events that are unique(or WERE) on the circuit. Where else can you go out on the river-walk at 10pm and find performers spinning fire? And we're still the only con that uses Live Steel in our Fight-Shows.

Seriously though, I've been to Metro every year for the past 7 years(since it started) and this will mark year 8. I have NEVER walked away from this convention disappointed. Lots to do, cosplayers to photograph, lots of artists and dealers, friendly and accessible VA's, a very involved staff, and you can make at least 50 friends just by talking to the cast-members alone.
I have friends who fly down here from Washington to spend 3 months in Florida so they can participate in Metro. I'd say it's well worth it.

musashi3000gt
06-30-2010, 06:38 PM
I had that happen to me, Three years ago at Metrocon! Counterstrike costumes, we didn't have our orange caution tips on, and we were in a parking garage with my brother's trunk open with all our gear in it. FUUU moment. Watch those parking garages they have security out the Back door!

Meh, I dont blame cops and security for doing thier job but it bothers me that airsoft and paintball guns piss them off so much when kids are wielding real swords and daggers at these shows. If I shoot someone with a toy gun its gonna tickle em. Yet the guys who carry real swords are okay?
I'm ex military and I counted at least 5 guys at the last con that are trained well enough to do more damage with a katana then I can with a gun.

Dota2008
07-01-2010, 10:24 AM
So me and my hetero life mate where wondering how far people actually travel to this Metrocon shindig and if its worth the bother. We live in South Miami so its like 4 hours by road trip, 3 by GTO. Hes been in Iraq for the last 8 months and just got back in time to hit Supercon in Miami and he went ape-shit crazy loving it. Im wondering if its worth the time off from work and the drive cause so far I havent really been wowed by thier website or itinerary. Is this a small local show for the die hards or is it to like supercon scale?

go its totally worth it. btw are you guys doing army of two? ill be salem one day of the con. probably on friday

RuhiNunchuck
07-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Meh, I dont blame cops and security for doing thier job but it bothers me that airsoft and paintball guns piss them off so much when kids are wielding real swords and daggers at these shows. If I shoot someone with a toy gun its gonna tickle em. Yet the guys who carry real swords are okay?
I'm ex military and I counted at least 5 guys at the last con that are trained well enough to do more damage with a katana then I can with a gun.

The actors in the fight shows train for MONTHS ahead of the con to do this. That's the reason they're allowed the live steal weaponry and typically they are only allowed to have them when they're performing. Alot of them have been with Metro for years too.

But on the topic of should you go...I say....hell yeah! Between the shows (Chess Match, Fire Show and Masquerade, Star Pary), the lush dealers room, the ever amazing artist ally and the plathera of panels...it's totally worth every penny! I actually bought a VIP pass this year (that's $100 yo) plus putting forth money for the hotel and whatnot. My con schedule absolutely revolves around this con and I wouldn't miss it for the world!

musashi3000gt
07-01-2010, 09:09 PM
go its totally worth it. btw are you guys doing army of two? ill be salem one day of the con. probably on friday

we might do army of two or we might do Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow since its themed ninja vs samurai....not sure yet.

We cant be there on Friday cause we both work but we drive up Sat morning and will be there sat and sun. If you wanna meet up and chill while at the con let us know bro. An Army Of Two fan is a friend of ours any day.