PDA

View Full Version : Is cosplaying an 'OC' a bad thing?

alchemy_girl
06-29-2010, 12:12 PM
This is my first forum thread here, so I'm hoping I'm doing this right.

I've been going to FanExpo Canada for a couple of years now and I decided, for this year, that I'm going as an OC of mine based off of Kingdom Hearts.

I'm having some help making the costume and am making the Kingdom Key to go with it, but then I know for a fact that there are some people out there who despise OC's.

Even though I'm 25 and LOVE doing cons and such, I can get pretty emotional over a insult that can ruin my entire weekend.

I just want to hear some opinions about cosplaying OC's and what to do if I get good/bad comments about it.
I'm really looking forward to this cosplay 'cause I'm working so hard on it to make it as good as it can be.

Thank you in advance.

Stormraven24
06-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Cosplay whatever the hell you want. There's no rule that says you can't :) What anyone else says is moot if it's something you want to do.

avskull
06-29-2010, 12:20 PM
I've been going to FanExpo Canada for a couple of years now and I decided, for this year, that I'm going as an OC of mine from Kingdom Hearts.

If its an original character then how can it be from kingdom hearts unless you created kingdom hearts. If people dont recognize you because you created the character then i dont know why they would be mad.

Kitsune-sama
06-29-2010, 12:26 PM
You asked for comments, so here goes...

Personally, I despise OC cosplays with a heated passion. Every time I see someone cosplaying their original character from a series, they always have to go into a long explanation of who they are and so on. I get bored, and I figure it must be tough to have to explain the same, long thing to everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I have tons of original characters myself (mostly from original stories) but I would never cosplay them, mainly because I could never do them justice, and I wouldn't want to be stuck explaining all con.

Not to mention, someone can go dressed in all Hot Topic and throw on a ninja headband and say they're some ninja princess from Naruto or something as ridiculous as that. I've also seen awful skits at masquerades with original characters that have made me want to punch children.

All in all, I'd advise against cosplaying an OC. :c

Envy_1988
06-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Well really its up to you. Like posted unless you have avid readers also going to the con you probably wont even be noticed. But the thing is to not go into explanation like if someone asks what your cosplaying says its an OC from blank. If they ask you you can all get into a discussion. Also you might not get as many pictures taken of you as if you were cosplaying a known charecter. So all in all i dont care but not everyone is as accepting so you just have to be aware that there may be people who look down on it. Then again its not any different then if you were to cosplay something else cuz people who hate shows may hate the cosplayers too. So in the end if you wanna do it go ahead.

alpha_helix
06-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Go for it! Just don't give your character's life story unless somebody asks, 90% of people do not give a damn. If someone asks who you are, simply say "I'm an original character" and leave it at that.

kingselite
06-29-2010, 12:55 PM
This is my first forum thread here, so I'm hoping I'm doing this right.

I've been going to FanExpo Canada for a couple of years now and I decided, for this year, that I'm going as an OC of mine from Kingdom Hearts.

I'm having some help making the costume and am making the Kingdom Key to go with it, but then I know for a fact that there are some people out there who despise OC's.

Even though I'm 25 and LOVE doing cons and such, I can get pretty emotional over a insult that can ruin my entire weekend.

I just want to hear some opinions about cosplaying OC's and what to do if I get good/bad comments about it.
I'm really looking forward to this cosplay 'cause I'm working so hard on it to make it as good as it can be.

Thank you in advance.

i say cosplay however you want to as long as you enjoy it and like the character you're playing. as for the good/bad comments, ignoring is best, if its still getting to you, having a boyfriend, husband or friends with you usually wards away negative people and helps keep your spirits up. if you don't have any friends going then check out the fan expo section on the forums. always a bunch of us posting there about going, us ottawa people have to stick together XD.

bellasignorina
06-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Do it. I'm bringing an original character to a Heroes VS Villains party at Dragon*Con, after already having cosplayed her at my Superhero themed birthday party this year to great success. Cosplaying OCs can be a lot of fun! I have to agree with everyone else though when they say skip the lengthy backstory. If someone asks, just keep it short and sweet. They're admiring the costume, not the backstory.

Altrus
06-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Dear Alchemy_girl,

My advice is to ignore some of what Kitsune-sama said. There is absolutely nothing wrong with OCs. My first ever cosplay was an Original Character from an original setting of mine (you can check my profile to see it if you want). I designed the costume myself. It always gets a nice reception! Now, admittedly, the type of con you go to is somewhat important in this. At anime boston and Otakon, while I do get my picture taken occasionally, and many nice compliments, people are looking mostly for recognizable characters. At PAX East however, it was absolutely loved for the fact that it also let me say I was cosplaying a D&D sorcerer, and I even got interviewed by a few gaming sites.

Now, I would say, however, if people ask you who/what you are, just say "This is my original character", or, for you, since you're cosplaying a KH character "This is my Kingdom hearts inspired cosplay" and leave it at that, since most people don't want a lecture on fancharacters (which is technically more what you are) at a con, it's a bit of a matter of etiquette. Also, the more coherently designed the costume is, the more you'll distinguish yourself from people who, as said by Kitsune "Just toss on a ninja headband and whatever and call themselves a ninja princess". I've seen both fabulous and awful OCs, and the biggest distinguishing factor is how well designed the costume is.

Regardless, in the end, cosplay is about having fun, so do what you enjoy!

fujyoshi
06-29-2010, 01:39 PM
all my originals are in my original stuff album, when going to cons I usually wear them on the last day because of all the cosplay events that happen fridays and saturdays. The only downside is the fact that I end up not getting that many pictures taken in them.

☆ KEITA
06-29-2010, 01:44 PM
This is just my opinion. You asked for opinions, so here goes.

I don't hate it, but it annoys me. Though only in the case where you say you have an OC from a series that is already created and is obviously not yours. Like honestly? There are already many characters that you can cosplay from that series.

The thing that ticks me off the most is when people make an OC for a series and just throw together random clothes that don't fit into the 'world' of the series and say that they're cosplaying from -whatever series here- and that they're 'accurate' because it's their OC. -- I'm not saying that is what you're doing, but I see that around and it's so bad.

Though it does change things when you say the cosplay is inspired by a series.

When someone cosplays an OC from their own created original world however, is fine with me.

ladyxzeus
06-29-2010, 02:11 PM
I have a firm opinion on original characters. Before cosplaying one, answer these questions:

1. Is your Original Character a good Original Character? Fanfic inserts are not "good". Generic cat eared boys with chains that are called Ritsuko-chin are not "good". Anything that you can find the same or better on the lowest-rank fantasy book is not "good".

2. Is the outfit of your character complex, intricate or interesting? A Sailor Uniform and striped socks is not any of the above.

3. Your character's features are simply enough to understand that with a "oh it's an original character" everyone around you will be satisfied and you won't have to bother people for 10 minutes explaining an uninteresting and uninspired back story?

If you answered yes to all 3, go ahead. If not, there are plenty existing characters to try out.

ANBUwasabi
06-29-2010, 02:29 PM
I say, just do as you please, Im going to my next con as a Anbu Black Ops member, although Im going to add some more intricate details & accesories to the costume to give it a sense of uniqueness, but as long as you're having fun thats whats up

TR Rose
06-29-2010, 02:31 PM
My opinion is that cosplaying an original character works best if there is some basis for this character in the universe they are supposed to be from.

A few examples. FMA shows a huge military. They don't talk about every single soldier and/or alchemist in the military. Cosplaying with an FMA uniform as an "original" character makes sense in that universe. Lots of stories have bad guy characters with lots of similarly dressed minions - like Star Wars Stormtroopers or the Team Rocket organization from Pokemon. A high school series where the students wear the same uniform - Lucky Star, Ouran HS Host Club, Harry Potter... lots of room to make an "original" character who makes sense. People will recognize a standard uniform type of character from its source material even if they don't recognize the specific character.

OCs who are in-game avatars in things like MMOs work well. It's easily explained as "this is my character from WoW" or whatever.

Completely original characters work well also, especially if your costume is amazingly detailed and eye-catching. I remember seeing a guy on stilts dressed as a faun from mythology. Really nifty costume that stood out from the crowd. I took a photo even though he wasn't from anything that I knew of. Same goes for a lot of detailed fursuits. They might be someone's anthropomorphic original design or from a pre-existing source - if it looks cool, I'll take a photo (particularly if it's really well made).

What doesn't make as much sense to me are things like OC Organzation 13 members. There are only 13 of them, it's in the name. Adding new ones doesn't work. Usually it comes across looking like you didn't have time to get a wig/props together.

Generally speaking, a lot of OC character designs don't look much different from regular clothing at a convention - raver gear, cat ears, props purchased in the dealers' room. There is nothing wrong with this. Wear your cat ears and carry a Buster Sword around - have fun and enjoy the convention. But don't be surprised if you aren't stopped for photos or people don't realize that you are cosplaying.

tl;dr: wear what you like. If you are cosplaying just to have fun wearing an unusual outfit, dress up in whatever your heart desires. But if you are looking to be photographed and get a lot of attention, pick an existing character or go all out with a fantastically detailed and eye-catching original design.

AnimatedPoison
06-29-2010, 02:38 PM
A costume is a costume, and there's no reason people should be complaining about an OC-- it's none of their business. You didn't get a say in what costumes other people wear, so who are they to tell you what to do either? You just need thick enough skin to deal with the fact that not everybody will like what you do, and that's not just in cosplay, but in life in general.

x-Steffi-x
06-29-2010, 02:41 PM
My opinion is that cosplaying an original character works best if there is some basis for this character in the universe they are supposed to be from.

A few examples. FMA shows a huge military. They don't talk about every single soldier and/or alchemist in the military. Cosplaying with an FMA uniform as an "original" character makes sense in that universe. Lots of stories have bad guy characters with lots of similarly dressed minions - like Star Wars Stormtroopers or the Team Rocket organization from Pokemon. A high school series where the students wear the same uniform - Lucky Star, Ouran HS Host Club, Harry Potter... lots of room to make an "original" character who makes sense. People will recognize a standard uniform type of character from its source material even if they don't recognize the specific character.

OCs who are in-game avatars in things like MMOs work well. It's easily explained as "this is my character from WoW" or whatever.

Completely original characters work well also, especially if your costume is amazingly detailed and eye-catching. I remember seeing a guy on stilts dressed as a faun from mythology. Really nifty costume that stood out from the crowd. I took a photo even though he wasn't from anything that I knew of. Same goes for a lot of detailed fursuits. They might be someone's anthropomorphic original design or from a pre-existing source - if it looks cool, I'll take a photo (particularly if it's really well made).

What doesn't make as much sense to me are things like OC Organzation 13 members. There are only 13 of them, it's in the name. Adding new ones doesn't work. Usually it comes across looking like you didn't have time to get a wig/props together.

Generally speaking, a lot of OC character designs don't look much different from regular clothing at a convention - raver gear, cat ears, props purchased in the dealers' room. There is nothing wrong with this. Wear your cat ears and carry a Buster Sword around - have fun and enjoy the convention. But don't be surprised if you aren't stopped for photos or people don't realize that you are cosplaying.

tl;dr: wear what you like. If you are cosplaying just to have fun wearing an unusual outfit, dress up in whatever your heart desires. But if you are looking to be photographed and get a lot of attention, pick an existing character or go all out with a fantastically detailed and eye-catching original design.

This has to be the best possible answer of this thread. I 100% agree. I in fact don't despise OCs if they are done nicely and show that a lot of thought and detail has gone into the cosplay then that makes it more interesting. As you plan to do an OC within an existing series, make sure your OC fits in with the show. Follow the guidelines stated above and you should be fine. People may like your cosplay and some others will hate it. But remember this, it's YOU who wants to cosplay YOUR character and therefore you ARE NOT there to please other people, YOU are there to have YOUR own fun. So keep to that, and just brush off bad comments. I'd rather see a very well done OC than a poorly done existing character any day :)

MugetsuHime
06-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Cosplaying an OC is not a bad thing. I mean you won't be as recognizable but, depending on the craftsmanship of the costume you might expect to have plenty of ops. An OC kinda has its pros and cons. :/

DarkCloudInc
06-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Well, depends, what's your goal? If it's to be taken a picture of, then you would have to work your way towards being distinct enough to separate yourself from those who are attending the con as a non-cosplayer. I've run around taking pictures of anyone I recognized and those who had spent a great deal of time and thought into assembling their costumes.

Other than that, can't add to what's already been said.

Just realized I didn't answer your question, but it's neither good or bad. Just have fun, I suppose.

MirniMausi
06-29-2010, 03:08 PM
I don't see a problem in it, really. If you behave appropriate, why not?

People are easily annoyed by OCs with extremely long, sneseless, unlogical backstories, as said before. The problem is, that people usually call OCs created for a certain series 'Mary Sue', even though they may have a realistic personality and backstory, fit in the series etc. You should be able to cope with that. (But you can also get mean comments while cosplaying an original cosplayer. For example a girl told my in a forum she was dressed as Kairi from KH, when suddenly 2 girls walked up to her, and babbled nonsense like "Yuk, you're doing Kairi? Everyone knows that Sora is made for Riku!" and stuff. Just laugh about rude comments. It's the best you can do.)
As the others said, you won't get many pictures taken of you as an OC- but you don't have a guarantee of pictures even as a known character.
Some who cosplay OCs seem to expect that other cosplayers who do the same series but known characters should recognize you and see you as a part of them- which is rubbish because they usually don't know your character. Keep that in mind.

I myself like OCs and I love to photograph all nicely done cosplays (except for those from a series I don't like xD though I sometimes see great costumes and can make an exception). So if you have a pretty one, why not do an OC?^^

Lycorisa
06-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Bring your character to life go for it ^^. I do not hate OC cosplays. I cosplayed some OC from my stories before. OC is pretty cool^^

!!BUT...It's kinda bad when someone just puts on a random hat(or whatever lols) and random clothes then mash them together not putting in much effort and say they're cosplaying an OC.
Just make it good, put in effort and you're good to go :D!!

ANBUwasabi
06-29-2010, 03:42 PM

you took the cake with that one, i dont thank any of us coulda said it bester, thats actually why I like making unqiue styled Anbus ^^

alchemy_girl
06-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Dear Alchemy_girl,

My advice is to ignore some of what Kitsune-sama said. There is absolutely nothing wrong with OCs. My first ever cosplay was an Original Character from an original setting of mine (you can check my profile to see it if you want). I designed the costume myself. It always gets a nice reception! Now, admittedly, the type of con you go to is somewhat important in this. At anime boston and Otakon, while I do get my picture taken occasionally, and many nice compliments, people are looking mostly for recognizable characters. At PAX East however, it was absolutely loved for the fact that it also let me say I was cosplaying a D&D sorcerer, and I even got interviewed by a few gaming sites.

Now, I would say, however, if people ask you who/what you are, just say "This is my original character", or, for you, since you're cosplaying a KH character "This is my Kingdom hearts inspired cosplay" and leave it at that, since most people don't want a lecture on fancharacters (which is technically more what you are) at a con, it's a bit of a matter of etiquette. Also, the more coherently designed the costume is, the more you'll distinguish yourself from people who, as said by Kitsune "Just toss on a ninja headband and whatever and call themselves a ninja princess". I've seen both fabulous and awful OCs, and the biggest distinguishing factor is how well designed the costume is.

Regardless, in the end, cosplay is about having fun, so do what you enjoy!

Thank you for this comment, this is actually what my cosplay started out at the beginning. I was bored one day and actually drew out an inspired Kingdom Hearts outfit for me and I liked it so much that I decided to actually do this for the con.
I think instead of saying the OC bit, I think I'll actually go for the "This is my Kingdom hearts inspired cosplay" bit, because that's what it really is.

What doesn't make as much sense to me are things like OC Organization 13 members. There are only 13 of them, it's in the name. Adding new ones doesn't work. Usually it comes across looking like you didn't have time to get a wig/props together.

Thank you for this comment as well, very thought out and really made me think. I totally agree with this.
I'm not looking to get like, a bajillion pictures, with this outfit, but maybe a few because of the work me and my friends are putting into this cosplay (a girlfriend is helping me with my pants). I wanted to make a Keyblade for the costume because then it would tell of where I decided to be from, in case I'm seen from a distance and also....cause I really wanted to make one on my own!

I'm doing the cosplay to have fun and I'm really looking forward to wearing it to more than one con, so thank you for the comments.

If anyone wants to see the 'Kingdom Hearts inspired-cosplay' that I'm working on, you can see it on my DA page here: http://alchemygirl.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1mgpy2

Noct
06-29-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm also seconding (third-ing? fourth-ing?) TR Rose's opinion. It's much easier to run around as random schoolgirl X from Y series if you don't want to draw unnecessary attention to yourself, and if you have friends to go in a group with you, all the more fun! I for one, love "miscellaneous" characters (i.e. Anbu) when they're done right.

Ultimately, however, it is your time/money/energy that's being spent. Nobody else's. We can all try to convince you to go one way or the other, but only you can decide what you feel most comfortable in. It might be more difficult to interact with other people cosplaying the canon cast as an OC, but if you think you'd get more enjoyment dressing up as your own character, then go for it! As mentioned before:

A costume is a costume, and there's no reason people should be complaining about an OC-- it's none of their business. You didn't get a say in what costumes other people wear, so who are they to tell you what to do either? You just need thick enough skin to deal with the fact that not everybody will like what you do, and that's not just in cosplay, but in life in general.

Good luck! :)

Echosong
06-29-2010, 04:02 PM
If no one would mind...I want to put in my two cents....

I personally think that OC's are amazing. When I mean OC, I mean, Interesting background and not made for Naruto or any other anime just because you're a Sasuke obsessed fangirl. No, that's not going to work. I'm talking about OC cosplays that you just can't stop looking at, that are intricate and interesting. If I see an OC (that doesn't look like a girl in a bikini with cat ears) I'll go up and ask them what their story is. Chances are, though, is that most people don't care for OC's. Therefore, less people are likely to take your picture, or want to listen to your background.

It annoys me to no end, though, when people who hate OC's don't even give some of us a chance. We work hard on our costumes and character development, and they blow us off like a fly.

So I say, go for it. Show the world how creative and talented you are. If anyone gives you a snide comment, or doesn't like your costume, then you just ask them one question. "Cosplayers are supposed to be nice people, so why are you ruining our reputation?"

Sisshi
06-29-2010, 04:12 PM
I personally don't have much of a problem with OC cosplays. I mean look at this guy who was at Ohayocon: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=698638402#!/photo.php?pid=3509906&id=698638402

He just sat down and started working with leather and all this prop work because he felt like it. He wasn't anyone specific but his cosplay is still pretty epic.

I have an 'OC' cosplay, I have a Ravenclaw Student cosplay that I wear to Harry Potter movie premiers

Kitsune-sama
06-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Wow, Altrus, please don't tell people to ignore other people's comments. That's rude. She asked for comments, I gave my comment.

I still stand by my statement.

In any case, I do agree that more detailed ones are a bit more acceptable, but let's be honest... how many OCs out there are really 'wow'-ing? How most of them are really as I described before. I think OC is a term that should be used to describe decent/detailed/damn good costumes and Mary Sue Cosplay is for the rest of the junk people wear.

Braithcakes
06-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Definitely up to you, but you wont get recognized, and technically, it's based off of kingdom hearts, not from it.

there will be those fans who will go at you for making a character a keyblade wielder who wasn't in the canon story-line, but oh well, people have done it before and nobody can really stop you.

Idk how they'll feel about you actually using the kingdom key though, they may think you just popped and bought it at the con(they sell tons of kingdom keys at conventions)

go for it if you like it, but there WILL be those who complain about it.

edit: I'm thinking about what I'm thinking more in depth, the people who wont like it wont like it because you're not cosplaying something that can be generalized. There ARE parts that can be generalized in kingdom hearts, such as...well, stylized OC's, but the keyblade masters are pretty much solid and I think that's what people wont like.

example: I've dressed up as a slytherin from harry potter, but...not as a canon character, however, there are MANY slytherin students in harry potter that are never shown or mentioned, so it's not a problem for most people.

If i were to go and tie myself into the direct story-line somehow that would obviously alter the actual story, fans might care.

so be careful, and don't let an insult ruin your weekend.

Nayara
06-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Ah, this topic is so old and still so controversial.

Well, if it’s about personal opinions I have to agree with Kitsune-sama. To be blunt, I don't like OCs either, though the reason for that comes mostly from bad fanfiction (and silly kiddos who think they're being creative).

Truth be told, most “own creations” are either just altered versions of existing characters or cheap closet-cosplays (the old ninja-headband thing was already mentioned. I personally think those are the worst xD"). And the sheer amount of such costumes give OCs cosplays a generally more negative image. :/

Is cosplaying an OC a generally bad thing? No, like other people here said, there really are awesome original cosplays with that wow-effect, but they're rare. So far I've seen maybe 4-5 original designs who really impressed me. The Bad always kinda outshines the Good.

So yeah, my two cents. The rest was already said by others. Opinions differ greatly when it comes to OCs. But people are free to cosplay what they want, so nobody here can and will stop you anyway.

About your link: Without wanting to be rude, but like someone already mentioned in the comments I also think it looks a bit like female Sora or at least inspired by him. ^^; And heterochromic eyes are a typical cool OC trait but Mary Sues have them often too, so well...

Braithcakes
06-29-2010, 08:42 PM
it does kind of look like a male form of sora.

and uhm, heterochromic eyes occur in twins, so..maybe it'd work better if you had a twin with you? >o>

alchemy_girl
06-29-2010, 10:37 PM
it does kind of look like a male form of sora.

and uhm, heterochromic eyes occur in twins, so..maybe it'd work better if you had a twin with you? >o>

I really didn't mean it to look like Sora at all. It really wasn't intentional. I just wanted something that had my two favorite colors in it and that's where the shirt came from, and wanted to commemorate my British heritage, also drawing while sitting beside my Union Jack flag may have had something to do with the design.

And the whole idea for the eyes....honest to Bob truth? Those are what my eyes are like in real life! Not that vivid mind you, but they are two different colors and I just wanted to incorporate them into the picture, it also depends on the lighting.

Sonic Man
06-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Alchemy Girl, your thread tugged at my heart strings a little because, I, too asked that same question when my first costume was still a concept in late 2006. However, like the major concensus here, I, too agree that cosplaying an original character isn't a bad thing. The only downside is that OC's tend to be ineligible to win prizes in most masquerades. Despite this, I believe that cosplaying an original character expresses one's individuality and creativity.

Sakurairis
06-30-2010, 01:25 AM
One of my pet peeves on OC's is that some people just throw on some goth clothes, cat ears and a tail and call it an OC. Truly I don't mind OC's if they are original and creative and true to the series they are from (if they are from a series) I myself have alot of OC's and I try to be as original with them as I can. One of my dreams is to form a blitzball group and cosplay them at a convention. OC's but cool OC's

So it all boils down to "who cares what those losers think". My opinion should mean nothing to you. Neither should theirs. While OC's usually can't enter masquerades, it's fun just cosplaying. You should cosplay for the fun of it and not care what other people are going to think.

BTW, I count "Gajinka" and "human form" as OC's but i've seen some REALLY good ones.

alpha_helix
06-30-2010, 10:02 AM
^ Masquerades at ANIME cons. Not all cons are are anime specific, and not all anime cons even have that rule.

Still, I don't think something like that should be enough to keep one from making and wearing any costume they reall want to do. If you really like masquerades and your con only allows specific character costumes, just wear your original on a different day of the con. Easy peasy.

Amanita
06-30-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm working on an original character right now, actually two. One is a revamping of my Jedi kit, which is going to look very nice when it's done. I'm using a slightly non-traditional colour scheme- forest green or blue depending on my mood, paired with the more traditional brown, with ivory accents.

My other one is going to be based on NYC's Chrysler Building. I've gotten grief for the very idea of cosplaying an anthropomorphised skyscraper, with somebody saying that if I just had to do such a thing, then I should be Tokyo Tower or its mascot. No offense to Tokyo Tower, but probably not a lot of people outside Japan (or hardcore anime/godzilla fans) would recognize it, and fewer still would recognize its mascot. In fact, the mascot would probably get mistaken for an "adult" toy over here. So I'm doing Chrysler. Hell, if the building's own architect can cosplay that tower (He did!), I guess I can too. I've got vintage art-deco era patterns for the clothes to wear, and some pretty cool accessories. Now I just need to build that darn headdress!

If you're going to do an OC, do it up well. Don't slop on an old martial arts uniform, a brown bathrobe, and a flashlight handle, and call yourself a Jedi. Don't throw together stuff from your closet with random accessories- it's worth taking the time and effort to do it up right.

Phanari
06-30-2010, 11:22 AM
There is no problem cosplaying OCs. People do it all the time. What gets under my skin is when they do an OC from a fanfiction. THAT'S annoying.

Echosong
06-30-2010, 11:40 AM
I've got to agree with you there. *Blergh*

ANBUwasabi
06-30-2010, 11:44 AM
I just had to do another reply to this thread since it just interests me =P

from what I gathered i think what people dont like is when someone creates a main character into a series and alters the main story
and what people seem not mind is when you unique-afy a side character that has no real affect in altering the story line

for example the Anbus in Naruto, theres tons of Anbus, the ones with the Cloaks & the Battle ready fighter Anbus, they're all mainly the same except for thier mask & sometimes weapons, so if someone (like me xD) were to use the basic Anbu armor design & possibly add some of thier own customizations to it, it would technically be an OC within the Anbu ranks.

Its like you have an Army, you got the general all decked out in fancy patches, so if you re-make the general it wont make sense since thats taking away his "look", but if you have like 1,000 soldiers you never really see them "ALL" but you get an understanding about thier uniform.

Like in the movie 300, there are alot of Spartans (300, duh) lols xD, but you never really individually go and look at every piece of armor they have and weapon, so I bet if you make an OC with the basic Spartan armor, and just unique-afy it, and say "aye this characters name is bla-bla-bla he was in the spartan army" it would sorta fit in

^_^; my bads for maken this so friggin' long

Sentinel150
06-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Hm, I have to say that I have struggled with this question multiple times.

Though I only have canon characters from real series posted in my account, I too have many original characters that I have made successful cosplays of. Granted most of these cosplays were from my own series and not from established ones, but they are original characters nonetheless.

I have to agree with some of the previous posters that OCs can be looked down upon if percieved as "Mary Sues", and may not attract photographers and the like- but I have taken one of my OCs to a convention (Rudicon) and a couple Halloween parties/events among those who cosplayed as recognizable characters and I was bombarded by questions about the character and asked multiple times for pictures, lol. All were quite thrilled to find it was a character I had made for a custom story my friends and I were planning on making into a live-action film (never happened- but I had the opportunity to bring one of my own creations to life). Some convention-goers said that had I entered into their cosplay competition I would have won even though my character was not from a known series.

My character was a creature of sorts, with leather armor, extendable arm blades, horns, tendrils instead of hair, a metal faceplate/mask, ebony skin, a tail, ancient metal talismans etc. It was quite detailed and everyone loved him. Even when I show photos of my costumes to new friends they always inquire about my character over my Samus suits!

I also made a generic "Jedi" outfit once. Others asked who I was, expecting her (my character) to be a legitimate one. Of course I told them her name- but had I not said it was my own character they would have been left believing that she had some place in the Star Wars lore. As others mentioned she very well could have been- there are plenty of unmentioned jedi- it's possible for her to be one of them. Cosplays of anbu, students, minions, and other groups are plausible OCs because of their numbers.

Anyways, I say you should go for it. Nothing is more fulfilling than having something of your own come to life. I know that the world and characters she may interact with are not yours, but I'm sure everyone has wished at some point in their lives to partake on adventures alongside their favorite characters. That is the root of OCs, to make an avatar of yourself. There is nothing wrong with it- it is all part of the creative process, and integral to growth. When I was little I was limited to the characters in a series- and just replayed their adventures. Then I realized I could make new situations for them and later new characters to fit into these situations. Eventually I realized that I was not bound by what already was- that there was so much potential lying latent within my own mind and that characters, conflicts, nay, the whole universe could be of my making in a tale! OCs are an intermediary step from adhering with the characters and tales of an established series to one entirely made from your imaginings.

Being a canon character is rewarding in the fact that you are paying homage to the series and revealing how you identify with the character so much as to try to "be" them. OCs, though, using elements from your favorite series, are a representation of you and are, thus unique. OCs from a tale of your own devising can be just as beneficial, for you are a shard of yourself set in your own ideal universe and entirely yours. Though "unknown" they exhibit the full capacity of one's ingenuity. It is one thing to paint from a photograph, and another to work with only a blank canvas.

So perhaps we should not judge OCs too harshly, for all that we know of in fiction derived from reality or from past tales as ancient as civilization itself. Yes, a known character will draw attention at conventions, but they can be percieved as another "so-and so". OCs, from series made by the individual or by another, are not a "copy" if great care is taken in their design, and can be a good way to support your favorite series without being ridiculed for facially having little resemblance to the character you are cosplaying as. (I have seen one too many a soul be driven into the ground for trying their best to be their favorite character without having "proper" physique). Cosplay is ultimately a way to celebrate fiction and making it a reality- something that is achievable to everyone no matter their circumstances. To be admonished for trying to break the mold and make something new whether there be inspiration in an existing series or not is a violation of this right.

I understand the animosity against OCs, and have definitely simmered over stumbling across fan-fictions that pair someone's OC with characters and completely alter the world to their liking; but it is petty to try to exert control over them, and to criticize them is childish because it only reveals that we believe they have influence over established characters or are jealous (not the best word to use but it implies a sense of ownership I know some feel for characters/series in the fan-sense).

Gah, I feel like I'm ranting :( Sorry. Go with what you love, dare to be different! No one should have the right to say otherwise. Cosplaying is about being someone other than yourself or a representation of yourself while showing off your dedication, perseverence and armor-crafting/sewing skills! I might actually put up my own OCs on my profile soon because of this discussion.

Keep up the good work!

Lolligag-love
06-30-2010, 03:42 PM
There is nothing that says you can't be an OC but in my opinion I wouldn't go to say a KHR gathering and say oh I'm one of the school kids (unless they were doing a photoshoot and wanted Backround character)

At cons I have no prob when people cosplay their own character and I sometimes think it is cool (hell I did one when I was 9)

I just don't like when people go on and on because most cosplayers have add and can't sit still... like me

There is a huge difference between OC and like maid and school uniforms that are just for show

And if you get told off at a con tell them thats rude or make a come back (not like a fist fight) if not just ignore them because they are in a bad mood

When I cosplay characters I made they are just thing I wear take a picture and then Im done. I don't wear mine out and about, unless I'm like the photo taker that day and I will wear it just to be silly

Tabby-chan
06-30-2010, 04:09 PM
i dont mind it. i just dont like it when i ask someone what they are cosplaying, and they go off about it. when i ask what you are cosplaying, please just give me the characters name and that its your OC. i do not want their life story starting from when your character was 2 years old lol. if i want that, ill ask about their story. but other than that i think its perfectly fine^^ i plan on cosplaying an OC of mine, probably not to a con though.

DevTehFiend
07-01-2010, 01:24 AM
Definitely up to you, but you wont get recognized, and technically, it's based off of kingdom hearts, not from it.

there will be those fans who will go at you for making a character a keyblade wielder who wasn't in the canon story-line, but oh well, people have done it before and nobody can really stop you.

Idk how they'll feel about you actually using the kingdom key though, they may think you just popped and bought it at the con(they sell tons of kingdom keys at conventions)

go for it if you like it, but there WILL be those who complain about it.

edit: I'm thinking about what I'm thinking more in depth, the people who wont like it wont like it because you're not cosplaying something that can be generalized. There ARE parts that can be generalized in kingdom hearts, such as...well, stylized OC's, but the keyblade masters are pretty much solid and I think that's what people wont like.

example: I've dressed up as a slytherin from harry potter, but...not as a canon character, however, there are MANY slytherin students in harry potter that are never shown or mentioned, so it's not a problem for most people.

If i were to go and tie myself into the direct story-line somehow that would obviously alter the actual story, fans might care.

so be careful, and don't let an insult ruin your weekend.

Actually, if the character originates from before the cannon, rather than after, then keyblade wielders would be a general thing because ,I mean, have you seen the Keyblade Graveyard...? XD It's been speculated that keyblade masters were NOT that rare before the Keyblade War. It might be interesting to see how many people can come up with Masters that belong to all those weapons, and if you get enough good shots one could even use an existing keyblade from one in the graveyard.

This thread suddenly makes me want to cosplay as a Team Rocket grunt.

Volnixshin
07-01-2010, 09:42 AM
You asked for comments, so here goes...

Personally, I despise OC cosplays with a heated passion. Every time I see someone cosplaying their original character from a series, they always have to go into a long explanation of who they are and so on. I get bored, and I figure it must be tough to have to explain the same, long thing to everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I have tons of original characters myself (mostly from original stories) but I would never cosplay them, mainly because I could never do them justice, and I wouldn't want to be stuck explaining all con.

Not to mention, someone can go dressed in all Hot Topic and throw on a ninja headband and say they're some ninja princess from Naruto or something as ridiculous as that. I've also seen awful skits at masquerades with original characters that have made me want to punch children.

All in all, I'd advise against cosplaying an OC. :c

How about the people who cosplay an original cosplay, and just give a two word explanation of where their cosplay is from.

I've gotten hundreds of compliments on my OC's, so I hope that encourages OP to go ahead

In another sense, any character, comic, manga, anime, cartoon, is original.

Actually, if the character originates from before the cannon, rather than after, then keyblade wielders would be a general thing because ,I mean, have you seen the Keyblade Graveyard...? XD It's been speculated that keyblade masters were NOT that rare before the Keyblade War. It might be interesting to see how many people can come up with Masters that belong to all those weapons, and if you get enough good shots one could even use an existing keyblade from one in the graveyard.

I am thinking the same thing. You can't really tell someone its not real since, they're are like thousands of keyblades in that video, so that opens up thousands of costumes.

UsakoLuna
07-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Do what you want and have fun :) for AB this year I cosplayed Xion, but in an outfit I made up (orgy cloaks look hot) I looked cute, and like 5 people reconized me, but I don't cosplay just because I want to be center of attention, I cosplay because I still like to play dress up even though I'm 21. I had fun, got to carry around a keyblade and fight with my socks and garters all day (next time, I will just buy the damn black tights instead of making my thigh-his act like them)

supergeekgirl
07-01-2010, 07:23 PM
People have been making "OC" costumes for years. It's older than dressing as a particular character.

Most of the stuff you see on stage at Costume-Con is original (80-90% or so). It pisses me off when people complain about it. If you're inspired, please make the costume you are inspired to make.

City-Dreamer
07-02-2010, 01:33 AM
I wouldn't say that cosplaying an OC is a bad thing... BUT, it wouldn't make much sense if it was based off a series. :I For example, if you had this OC from Final Fantasy, it would really be some character off a Final Fantasy FANFICTION. [Not that you would have had to write it, but technically it's a fanfic. xD]

I would suggest doing a cosplay off something completely original. But don't go around boring people with explanations. Heck, if you want you can write out an explanation on an index card and make copies to hand out to people... XD

This is just my opinion. BUT, you should cosplay whatever the heck you want. It's the stuff YOU'RE wearing, not like other people are... 0.o

Yui
07-02-2010, 11:43 AM
You're good. Feel free to always costume as your passions dictate, provided it is legal and non-disruptive to others enjoying the convention. ^_-

And with that, the original poster has asked this thread be closed. Thanks for you input, everyone.