PDA

View Full Version : Mask for Hakumen

Chozo003
07-04-2010, 11:48 AM
So my Hakumen costume is well underway, and there are only a few things I have yet to figure out, by far the most important of which would be the mask. The con is on the 17th, so my time is extremely limited. This is what is looks like (just the white part, the darker area is a neckpiece/collar type thing):

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/3910/hakumen.png

What would be the best way to construct that? Also does anybody have any ideas concerning the lack of eyeholes in the costume? Is there anything I could do to provide vision without detracting from the accuracy of the costume (maintain a clean, uniform look on the mask)?

Kitsoru
07-05-2010, 05:20 AM
What are you making the arm/should etc pieces from? You could just use that, I'm sure. Something like wonderflex, fosshape or even paperboard/cardstock could be used for his helmet pretty easily.

As for being able to see, that's the doozy. You could try using a thin layer of that plastic mesh used for fursuit eyes in that bend in the mask and see if it isn't too noticeable, but you may just have to walk around with the mask lifted until someone wants to take a photo.

Chozo003
07-05-2010, 06:07 AM
I'm using foam pads cut and carved into the desired shape, then covered with pleather basically. Not the best method for the mask. =\

ChilmarkGryphon
07-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Depends on how you position the top part of the helmet on your head. If you pad the tops of your shoulders near your neck, it makes your neck look shorter, so you can afford to position all the helmet/gorget pieces higher. I made a scrap paper mockup to test the field of vision: with the bottom of the "helmet" part level with and touching the tip of my nose, I can see about five feet in front of me out the bottom of it with my head at a normal angle. If I move it an inch forward from the tip of my nose, that range increases to 15-20 feet. If the white piece that goes across the neck is at chin level, it won't interrupt your field of vision. You could make the 'throat' out of fine plastic canvas (that mesh stuff with the square holes, it'll be with embroidery stuff at the craft store), which is rigid and pretty easy to see through. Spraypaint it black on both sides if you can only find it in white, light color meshes have poorer visibility.