PDA

View Full Version : Noel Vermillion - Making the guns.

vileaerok
07-05-2010, 03:40 AM
Alright - so my cousin wants me to make some guns for her. She is small and petite and wants to go as Noel Vermillion from - I don't have to tell you I am sure you already know.

I want to make them LIGHT for her. I don't think she needs to carry around 3lbs (6total) of material so I was thinking cardboard/foamboard/whatever.

I was hoping you guys could give me a little insight on what you think is best. I want to do the best job I can on these for her in the limited time I have (I have to make both by the end of this month)

If you guys have any experience with this it would be a giant help - also I was wondering if you knew what I could fill the cracks in with if I end up using cardboard. Should I go with bondo/something else? I really wanted to shape these out but I am worried about scraping into the cardboard and again - making it too heavy. Little bondo adds up in the end.

Thanks guys in advace.

TL;DR version - Need to make guns out of light materials, needs suggestions. Also filler information (cracks from putting together 2 flat pieces covered up). I have OCD. :bigtu:

flux83
07-05-2010, 04:30 AM
I am working on the same using a light weight wood they should only weigh about 1.25 each maybe less. But if you would rather something lighter I would use that baording with paper on the outside and foam in the middle(I think its called project board) and use wood fill to smoth out the edges bondo is very hard to work with and might melt some products. Let me know if you need any more help.

vileaerok
07-05-2010, 05:49 AM
I am working on the same using a light weight wood they should only weigh about 1.25 each maybe less. But if you would rather something lighter I would use that baording with paper on the outside and foam in the middle(I think its called project board) and use wood fill to smoth out the edges bondo is very hard to work with and might melt some products. Let me know if you need any more help.

Thanks for the tip. I have worked with bondo in the past making a helmet for a Protoman costume I was working on. This "wood fill" you speak of - are there any name brands or anything you can tell me about. I was gunna hit up the local Super Walmart in my area after I get out of work tonight and grab some stuff anyway.

Chergnomebyl
07-05-2010, 11:08 AM
I've made mine from foam core, It's fairly easy when you break it down. I didn't have to bother with bondo or any substance, just enforcing it with different materials. I see you want to use cardboard, but foam boards exactly the same. It doesn't have creases as cardboard does, so that should be a plus.
This is how they turned out, just to give you an idea of how
I did it.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2597566/

flux83
07-06-2010, 03:44 PM
I would go with the foam core or cardboard for a quick fix but nothing beats wood. But wood filler is made by elmers glue and a few other companys, easy to find

Chergnomebyl
07-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Yes, wood is nice to also use considering it is very durable, but I'm sure you won't be going around wacking everyone with it, so the quick fix is easy to to make, but if you're good with wood working then either way it's easy. It's really up to you. Both take time, one might take longer than the other, but it depends on how much time you have.

vileaerok
07-08-2010, 04:40 AM
I've made mine from foam core, It's fairly easy when you break it down. I didn't have to bother with bondo or any substance, just enforcing it with different materials. I see you want to use cardboard, but foam boards exactly the same. It doesn't have creases as cardboard does, so that should be a plus.
This is how they turned out, just to give you an idea of how
I did it.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2597566/

I failed shop - mostly because I hate working with wood. I of course aced everything else and have made stuff in the past. Just out of other things (helmets etc). Good idea about the foam boards. Now to find the stuff (BTW sick work on those. They look really good!)

Thanks for everything guys - this place is the best.

vileaerok
07-08-2010, 04:55 AM
@Hugginsseller - quick question on your build there. Not like you wanna throw out secrets but seeming you are being helpful just 1 question. I cant find any thick pieces, are those just layres of the 3/16th inch thick ones?

I mean retail stores around here are the main places I can go - there arent many "art" stores around here (most of my markers/easels/pencils etc come from the interwebs). I just wanna know really how you got it to look so good without the obvious (you're awesome) :D.

If you dont get back to me its alright - I actually have white/black foam board I was going to use right now but I was going to layer it and try to paint it or something so it wasnt showing the layers - or bondo it or something just so I could sand it down on the edges - yours just look really slick and I would like to try to do the best my cousin can get on short time (She is going to Anime Boston in like... 3 weeks I think?)

ALSO - the foam board I found had some kinda paper on it. Like black foam with black paper on the outside of it. apparently it is used for like display projects/hanging posters etc *thinking its the same stuff*