PDA

View Full Version : Making a Ciel Cosplay

Sunshine2010
07-06-2010, 05:14 PM
I really hope this is in the right place -.-'
I am making a Ciel cosplay for NYAF in october and im useing this pikture as referencehttp://media.photobucket.com/image/ciel%20phantomhive/ashleex1057/kuroshitsuji/largeAnimePaperscans_Kuroshitsuji_S.jpg i live in the bronx and this is my first time makeing cosplay does anyone know were i can find fabric for less im on a budgetT.T and how long this outfit might take? also some link for sewing guides like an online sewing book im sorry my newbieness must annoy yew-is shot-
-runs and hides-

Lycorisa
07-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Your link doesn't work :(

Fabric.com has cheap fabric it's where I buy fabrics. Also check Hancock or Joann. Walmart has cheapest fabric..but I'm not sure if every walmart has fabric.
If you check some youtube vids they have very useful tutorials ^^.

MikuChu
07-06-2010, 06:56 PM
http://media.photobucket.com/image/ciel%20phantomhive/ashleex1057/kuroshitsuji/largeAnimePaperscans_Kuroshitsuji_S.jpg the link was just connected to the word

Mehdia
07-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Well, I have to say, most Kuroshitsuji cosplay will cost you a bit because of the amount of fabric that goes into them, as well as details. But the main thing will be to find patterns that you can use and possibly modify to get a good estimate on yardage you will need for everything. If sewing is intimidating, then you might want to find things at thrift/vintage shops that you can alter to make the outfit. As for the amount of time it will take...that will depend on your level of skill. If you are just starting out, it might take you a bit longer since you will have to acquaint yourself with the patterns, how to use them, and how to use the sewing machine.

Aqua's Rhapsody
07-06-2010, 07:09 PM
I am going to be honest with you and tell you that if you have no sewing experience, this costume is going to be very difficult for you. NYAF is slowly approaching, so you should start right away.

Sunshine2010
07-06-2010, 07:13 PM
i know how to use a sewing machine and have made minor things in the past gloves shirts etc. and im having help frum an expert she just want me tew find fabrics

EasilyAmewsed
07-06-2010, 07:47 PM
If you are truly a beginner I strongly suggest making a mock up of this outfit out of some crap fabric from places like Walmart, or JoAnns red tag section first. It will be your 'practice run' in which you can tackle any fitting problems your pattern has, find out the actual yardage and learn the necessary sewing techniques.
To really make this a pleasant experience, give yourself some time...this is not the kind of outfit you can bang out overnight unless you have strong intermediate skills or are just lucky. Since you have til Oct., the odds are really good you can achieve this if you take things step by step.<:)
As to learning places online, - do check the 'must have sewing books for cosplay' and 'sewing terminology' threads in this forum section? The books you might be able to find at your local library. I personally recommend the Singer sewing library series as it has nice clear photos of steps.
Burdastyle.com also has some basic skill tutorials.
Oh, I just read you have help..wonderful! It's so much nicer when there's somebody to guide you.
EA
ps...Sy Fabrics also has some interesting fabrics at good prices.

Kelley
07-07-2010, 12:27 AM
What you linked to is not a "beginner" project.

If you want to do a high-quality job, I think it's realistic to give yourself 6 months to a year for this if you have to learn everything as you go.

I am a big supporter of beginners pushing their limits and picking challenges - but if this is your first costume and you don't have any fabric sources or experience - I would pick something else.

You have basically two choices if you insist on making this :

1. Buy really cheap fabrics so it's not that bad if you mess up and have to re-do things. Re-do a lot and have a decent looking costume in crappy fabric.

2. Buy the expensive fabric and do a lackluster sewing job and get frustrated at the money you wasted and have a costume that you look back on not-so-fondly.

I suppose option 3 is to be totally awesome right from the start - but this is highly unlikely, even if you gave yourself months to work on this, unless you had an unlimited budget.

I would guess it will take you at least three tries of doing the same skill before you're basically competent at it - that is, if you're a very quick learner.

Sorry to be cynical. I just don't want you to lose a lot of money and get discouraged from ever making a costume again.

And, October ? THAT as your first costume ? I just don't see it happening. I am pretty experienced with sewing and a similar project of mine has taken MONTHS already. That is WITH having good fabric sources at my fingertips and knowing how to make such a thing.

You might be able to bang something together if you're very dedicated - and it might look okay - and if you're having fun, that bit does matter quite a lot. If you want to try - I can certainly offer my sources and information.

However, Kuroshitsuji is not conductive to "on a budget" and "first costume" unless you turn out to be a true genius and have lots of help in-person.

Edit : I just read your second post in the thread, about having help.

I admit, I am still very wary. This costume is Menswear - and a Master Seamstress, even a very, very wonderful one is only going to be able to lead you to do a so-so job on this project if they don't have extensive experience in men's clothing.

I guess some people have lower standards. Sorry if that makes me sound like a jerk - I've just done a lot of true men's clothing work and I could never ever settle for polyester and fused-in interfacing.

For that costume, you are going to need probably 3-4 yards of 16-18oz wool suiting / broadcloth (not the cotton quilter's stuff).

WAL*MART, JoAnn's and even DenverFabrics is not going to have what you need. But if you're willing to settle is up to you.

Just evaluate your standards - I know what mine are, I guess that's painfully obvious and probably off-putting. I know what it takes to do the best job - and I won't settle for less, even if it takes a year and a pint of blood.

Even doing a "budget" version of this costume is going to cost in excess of $100 - most likely quite a lot more once you add in accessories. The BUDGET version of that hat is $50-70, wig is probably $30-40, if you don't have shoes, probably at least $10 if you're lucky enough to get them from a thrift store.

The button will cost probably more than $20 even for cheap ones. The only way around this is if you get wooden ones and fake the metal - or bake your own clay ones and once again fake the metal - which are both totally valid options with awesome results possible.

And the stockings - if you want them to look like something Ciel would wear, they probably going to cost at least $6 - and all those little bits add up - you won't think anything about $1 thread, but it will add up and add up behind your back and bite you with a $30 bill if you're not prepared.

For the socks : http://www.sockdreams.com/products/sock-collections/trouser-socks/bella-trentata-italian-trouser-socks , I'm sure there are better ones, though (these are just cheap and easily available). If it was me and socks were too long on me, I would gently make an invisible inner pleat and hand-sew it down or shorten at the toe - but you might have to re-shape the heel that way.

My apologies for being an anal-retentive psycho.

Sunshine2010
07-07-2010, 02:17 PM
What you linked to is not a "beginner" project.

If you want to do a high-quality job, I think it's realistic to give yourself 6 months to a year for this if you have to learn everything as you go.

I am a big supporter of beginners pushing their limits and picking challenges - but if this is your first costume and you don't have any fabric sources or experience - I would pick something else.

You have basically two choices if you insist on making this :

1. Buy really cheap fabrics so it's not that bad if you mess up and have to re-do things. Re-do a lot and have a decent looking costume in crappy fabric.

2. Buy the expensive fabric and do a lackluster sewing job and get frustrated at the money you wasted and have a costume that you look back on not-so-fondly.

I suppose option 3 is to be totally awesome right from the start - but this is highly unlikely, even if you gave yourself months to work on this, unless you had an unlimited budget.

I would guess it will take you at least three tries of doing the same skill before you're basically competent at it - that is, if you're a very quick learner.

Sorry to be cynical. I just don't want you to lose a lot of money and get discouraged from ever making a costume again.

And, October ? THAT as your first costume ? I just don't see it happening. I am pretty experienced with sewing and a similar project of mine has taken MONTHS already. That is WITH having good fabric sources at my fingertips and knowing how to make such a thing.

You might be able to bang something together if you're very dedicated - and it might look okay - and if you're having fun, that bit does matter quite a lot. If you want to try - I can certainly offer my sources and information.

However, Kuroshitsuji is not conductive to "on a budget" and "first costume" unless you turn out to be a true genius and have lots of help in-person.

Edit : I just read your second post in the thread, about having help.

I admit, I am still very wary. This costume is Menswear - and a Master Seamstress, even a very, very wonderful one is only going to be able to lead you to do a so-so job on this project if they don't have extensive experience in men's clothing.

I guess some people have lower standards. Sorry if that makes me sound like a jerk - I've just done a lot of true men's clothing work and I could never ever settle for polyester and fused-in interfacing.

For that costume, you are going to need probably 3-4 yards of 16-18oz wool suiting / broadcloth (not the cotton quilter's stuff).

WAL*MART, JoAnn's and even DenverFabrics is not going to have what you need. But if you're willing to settle is up to you.

Just evaluate your standards - I know what mine are, I guess that's painfully obvious and probably off-putting. I know what it takes to do the best job - and I won't settle for less, even if it takes a year and a pint of blood.

Even doing a "budget" version of this costume is going to cost in excess of $100 - most likely quite a lot more once you add in accessories. The BUDGET version of that hat is $50-70, wig is probably $30-40, if you don't have shoes, probably at least $10 if you're lucky enough to get them from a thrift store.

The button will cost probably more than $20 even for cheap ones. The only way around this is if you get wooden ones and fake the metal - or bake your own clay ones and once again fake the metal - which are both totally valid options with awesome results possible.

And the stockings - if you want them to look like something Ciel would wear, they probably going to cost at least $6 - and all those little bits add up - you won't think anything about $1 thread, but it will add up and add up behind your back and bite you with a $30 bill if you're not prepared.

For the socks : http://www.sockdreams.com/products/sock-collections/trouser-socks/bella-trentata-italian-trouser-socks , I'm sure there are better ones, though (these are just cheap and easily available). If it was me and socks were too long on me, I would gently make an invisible inner pleat and hand-sew it down or shorten at the toe - but you might have to re-shape the heel that way.

My apologies for being an anal-retentive psycho.
Thank yew! i really do see your perspective it really put me in place! and yew dont sound liek a jerk! really yer just trying to make sure i dont waste money so thanks i showed yer responese to my helpers tho and they wont listen -.-' damn idiots that i call my family! wis me luck because they arent budging and i have a feeling this will be a failure DX

Rainbowgasm
09-18-2010, 08:52 PM
For something like that... honestly... unless you plan to take it in masq. where you need to have made most of it yourself... I would cheat and see if you can find something close at a thrift store and add what ISN'T there to it... Honestly I'm suprised everyone is freaking out over this outfit... Its actually not that complicated... :S I might be misjudging it but... I also like to simplify things- though I enjoy it LOOKING right... but I go for look and comfort over 100% historial accuracy...