PDA

View Full Version : How to make a cape...? Help?

Axelai
07-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Edit: I got help on the cape itself, but i still need help on ideas to get the Gurren symbol on the back... i still have no idea how to do that :<

Before my head gets bitten off, i did search for things on this. Google gave me a million tutorials... all of which don't really work with adding a tall collar. And i don't have the money to try a million times until i get it right x_x;; I also searched cosplay.com and found a few useful threads on it, but not... quite what i need.

I found this tutorial through searching this site: http://armag.free.fr/Costumes/mantcirc.htm

Which would i use for Kamina's cape? I was thinking the 3/4th one... but has anyone done this before? How did it turn out...?

And i saw in other threads to use interfacing for the collar, but does that really make it stick up right? At Anime Expo last week, i saw a lot of people using cardboard inside it to make it stick up, but then it looked thick and... gross.

My other problem is getting the symbol on the back. I know what NOT to do, due to seeing all the horrible mess of cosplays last week. So i know that just hand stitching fabric cut in that shape... well, looks ugly.

And my final problem (sorry so many questions!) is the orange on the bottom. My original plan was to sew orange fabric on the bottom of the cape, but if its gonna look all tattered and such... attacking it with scissors wouldn't end well. It'd split apart the two fabrics sewn together and look awful. Any ideas on this too?

Again, sorry so many questions XD;; I'm so clueless on this cosplay. (Except on kamina's tattoos. I've learned latex + blue paint looks awesome, and so does coloring sharpies on yourself... if you don't mind redoing it every hour and the inside of your cape turning blue).

Reference: http://media.animegalleries.net/albums/userpics/211270/kamina.jpg

EDIT: I see now why no one replies to this... it was moved to the Gurren Lagann section x____x;; Auh.

Axelai
07-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Help? D:

ANBUwasabi
07-08-2010, 01:36 AM
thats a verrrrry veryyyy complex looking cape in my opinion, all I can say for the collar is when you sew the collaw see if you can fit a type of flexible thin plastic inside the collar to make it stiff, and then maybe adding a little laso, or rope/string from each side of the collar so you can tie it around you neck so it wont flap up and down

dreamoflife02
07-08-2010, 01:53 AM
Interfacing DEFINITELY works. The iron-on kind is easier to work with, so get the heaviest weight of that you can find and go to town. If you're worried, fuse interfacing to both collar pieces.

I've never made a cape from that pattern, but the 3/4 shape seems to make sense to me.

Fabric stitched on in that shape can look amazing-- if you do one of two things. One, make it an applique-- basically, use something like heat'n bond to attach it to the fabric, then satin stitch all around the outside. Your other option is to make a sort of hem around the edge of the fabric, and stitch it down normally so nothing that can fray would show. Here's a reference for what applique can look like: http://i30.tinypic.com/i69yxj.jpg All of those light pink flowers are applique'd on.

Lemme think about the cape, I should be in bed right now so I'm not quite thinking straight enough for that xD

Axelai
07-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Interfacing DEFINITELY works. The iron-on kind is easier to work with, so get the heaviest weight of that you can find and go to town. If you're worried, fuse interfacing to both collar pieces.

I've never made a cape from that pattern, but the 3/4 shape seems to make sense to me.

Fabric stitched on in that shape can look amazing-- if you do one of two things. One, make it an applique-- basically, use something like heat'n bond to attach it to the fabric, then satin stitch all around the outside. Your other option is to make a sort of hem around the edge of the fabric, and stitch it down normally so nothing that can fray would show. Here's a reference for what applique can look like: http://i30.tinypic.com/i69yxj.jpg All of those light pink flowers are applique'd on.

Lemme think about the cape, I should be in bed right now so I'm not quite thinking straight enough for that xD

Thanks <3

What patterns have you used for capes? I want to make sure i'm doing it right, since i plan to wear this cosplay often and for awhile (its my favorite anime and favorite character :P ).

So what you're saying for the bottom is that after i make it look ragged... to sew the orange and red down again? Huh. Why didn't i think of that? (i feel a little silly now).

And what exactly is applique...? I keep hearing that everywhere but have no idea...

electro650
07-08-2010, 07:51 PM
The collar is going to need boning and interfacingto keep it up...Otherwise it will just flop over. You will need to get millinery wire (used in hat making) and hand stitch it into the fronts, sides and backs. You may even want to stitch the wire along the top edge to give it the correct flare. This is what is done for all high-standing flared collars. Also, you will never be able to cut a full circle out when you need a knee to floor length cape. The fabric will not be wide enough for most people. You will have to either cut demi or semi circles out and stitch them together to create a full circle.

Ryoko-and-Yami
07-08-2010, 08:04 PM
I am trying to remember what pattern my mom used for my Syaoran cape. I believe it was Mccall's but not a costume pattern. It said "2 hours to make" (which is probably a lie since it took like 2 hours to cut out).
I really recommend to get a pattern for any cape or else it won't lay on the shoulders correctly.
THis pattern has a standing collar:
http://www.simplicity.com/p-3057-mens-costumes.aspx

Axelai
07-08-2010, 09:27 PM
I am trying to remember what pattern my mom used for my Syaoran cape. I believe it was Mccall's but not a costume pattern. It said "2 hours to make" (which is probably a lie since it took like 2 hours to cut out).
I really recommend to get a pattern for any cape or else it won't lay on the shoulders correctly.
THis pattern has a standing collar:
http://www.simplicity.com/p-3057-mens-costumes.aspx

For some reason, that site isn't working x_x;; I'll check again later.

But thanks so much. Patterns are really useful in this situation (i don't want a sucky cape XD )

Anyone have any idea on what type of fabric to use...? i asked at the fabric store today, and they gave me some good ideas, but most of it didn't have both red and orange

Ryoko-and-Yami
07-08-2010, 10:38 PM
For some reason, that site isn't working x_x;; I'll check again later.

But thanks so much. Patterns are really useful in this situation (i don't want a sucky cape XD )

Anyone have any idea on what type of fabric to use...? i asked at the fabric store today, and they gave me some good ideas, but most of it didn't have both red and orange

Well it's Simplicity 2499 if it still doesn't work. ^^
I would use a material that doesn't wrinkle easily, something that flows.

Axelai
07-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Well it's Simplicity 2499 if it still doesn't work. ^^
I would use a material that doesn't wrinkle easily, something that flows.

The link works now~

...and is it just me, or is that first picture in it an obvious Kamina cape ripoff? XD;; Not that i mind. Makes my life a buttload easier. I'll probably end up using that pattern then :D Thanks!

Legatosgurl
07-09-2010, 08:13 PM
I know when my bf and I did the Kamina Cape (Or he did it and I just fangirled >.>) We used a combination of making the huge pattern, cutting it out, then sewing it on the actual cape on top of some interfacing or iron on stuff. I think we ironed it first, then ran a sewing machine over the lines to make sure it stuck.

Axelai
07-09-2010, 11:40 PM
I know when my bf and I did the Kamina Cape (Or he did it and I just fangirled >.>) We used a combination of making the huge pattern, cutting it out, then sewing it on the actual cape on top of some interfacing or iron on stuff. I think we ironed it first, then ran a sewing machine over the lines to make sure it stuck.

Thats what i was thinking of doing. How did you add the Gurren symbol? And can i see a picture of how it turned out? :3

Legatosgurl
07-11-2010, 06:18 PM
I think we just added the Gurren symbol by using the iron-on stuff first, making sure it was the way we wanted it, then used a sewing machine around the edges to keep it in place.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs166.snc1/6213_118021254377_505409377_2162016_447868_n.jpg
Okay, so after a bit of facebooking and looking at my pictures, the only pictures I can find are from the latest TTGL: Samurai cosplay we did. This one we did using the iron-on transfers, then used the sewing machine around the edges of the white circle that we added for "detail".

I'm still looking for the pics of the FIRST One he did, if nothing else I'll just go to his place and snag a pic that way. :p
That's him as kamina with Kamina's voice actor. <3
And me showing off (cause I can :p)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v311/98/37/505809516/n505809516_1205778_3297.jpg

Axelai
07-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Ooh. I met Kyle Hebert at Anime Expo... (( Off topic: I was dressed as Yoko, and everyone was yelling to him to "pierce my heavens with his drill", etc. Ahh, Kyle~ He was so embarrased, blushing and going "Oh god!". Eventually, he asked how old i was. "Old enough." And another spaz attack from him... XD;; Silly people... ))

I don't in particular like how your samurai one turned out... though i'll change my mind if i see your original cape's symbol XD;; I'm still trying to figure this out. I was thinking of just painting it... but knowing me, i'd screw it up somehow.