PDA

View Full Version : Lightening a wig?

projectanime
09-21-2003, 06:06 PM
There might be a thread about this already and if there is I must of missed it, but anyway. I bought a wig for my Chii costume, even though it was a little too dark of a blonde that I wanted. I was just wondering how to lighten it up a bit. I'm clueless when it comes to wigs.

Koumori
09-21-2003, 07:14 PM
I don't think you can. Wigs are plastic; they're not hair, so you can't bleach them; they'll just melt. You can make them darker, but I don't think there's a way to make them lighter.

projectanime
09-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Oi, darn. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to deal. Thanks!

dijik0nyo
09-21-2003, 08:59 PM
you might be able to use some type of color hairspray on it ... i can check at the place i buy my wigs at if you would like! PM me for a reminder ok? and i found a shop here in Colorado Springs that has great wigs for a LOT less than what i have found on the net. (hope is okay to say that ><; )

Sarcasm-hime
09-21-2003, 10:30 PM
Only problem with colour hairspray is that it makes the hair stiff and crunchy...so if you need the wig to be soft and flowy, you can't use hairspray. Plus the colour is often very uneven and flakes off.

projectanime
09-22-2003, 05:35 PM
Thanks for all the help! I've decided to just buy a different wig that is the perfect color anyway ^-^ I'm such a lazy butt!

Pommie
09-13-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm wondering...would lemon diluded in water maybe work for lightening it? I know it works to put sun in-type highlights in hair....

I just thought that since the contents are pretty safe....I dunno. What's everyones opinion?

Space Invader
09-13-2005, 11:56 PM
Since it's plastic it won't work. :< The only way I know that *might* lighten the wig just a bit is to leave it out in the sun for a few days, and even then I'm skeptical about it working (I haven't tried it myself so I can't say for sure).

Sarcasm-hime
09-14-2005, 12:15 AM
Wigs are plastic - what works on real hair won't work on plastic. Leaving a wig in the sun for a few days can lighten it, but the results are impossible to predict or control; it might turn a weird colour, it might lighten unevenly, it might weaken the fibers.