PDA

View Full Version : help on QOTD Akasha costume??

Vani
09-21-2003, 11:53 PM
My friend Lil Qoh recommended that I do a cosplay of Akasha from Queen of the Damned and now I REEEEALLY wanna do it...however, looking at her costume I see how damn intricate it is!! I was wondering if anyone has ANY tips or ideas at all on any and all parts of the costume...I'd love to make it, but I'm just not too sure how...so any help would be AWESOME!!!!!^^

BayushiKachiko
09-23-2003, 04:05 AM
Which costume? Do you have a screen shot of it?

::only saw that god-awful movie once::

Vani
09-23-2003, 07:59 PM
Yea, the books SOOOOO kick the movie in the ass!!! lol
ok, so being the idiot that i am i chose the HARD one!!! lol
here's a pic:
http://movieweb.com/movie/queendamned/coc.jpg
and uhm yea, and there's more on the site! THANKS for ya interest!!!!^^....hope this helps!!!^.~

BayushiKachiko
09-23-2003, 08:20 PM
I guess my next two questions are as follows--

How patient are you?
Are you any good at beading?

Okay, I lied...three questions.

And how much are you looking to spend. The top could probably be made out of bra cups with decoration attatched, but most of the other stuff is all bead work.

BayushiKachiko
09-23-2003, 08:21 PM
I guess my next two questions are as follows--

How patient are you?
Are you any good at beading?

Okay, I lied...three questions.

And how much are you looking to spend. The top could probably be made out of bra cups with decoration attatched, but most of the other stuff is all bead work.

I would actually go for the Egyptian clothing she wears in the book, but that would probably not get recognized.

Vani
09-24-2003, 12:13 AM
O, oki...well, in answer to yur q's I can be pretty patient and I have alot of people who could help me with the beading, and hmm....I'd rather not spend alot, but I mean...I dun have a certain budget. But that bra cup with decoration is a really good idea!!^^ I DID actually think of her Egyptian outfit, but yea, i was worried no one would know who I was....but THANK YOUUUU for all yur help so far!!!^^

BayushiKachiko
09-25-2003, 12:45 AM
No problem. ^_^

I would go with bra cups and use those clear bra straps (if you can) to hold everything in place. Wouldn't want to lose THAT part at a con, LoL.

My best suggestion would be to make the beaded pieces yourself, or have someone else that could do it for cheap do it for you. Beyond all the decoration, it's not a complex costume--just all those damn beads! You might want to try at places like Claires for cheap jewelry you could modify or take apart to serve your purposes. ^_^

Vani
09-28-2003, 09:33 PM
okeeey! thanks SOOOO much man!!!^^ I think that the modification of jewelry is a really great idea! THANK YOU! But, I also wanted to know if u might know how to go about making her skirt and those arm bands and those other arm things with the long sheer black flowy fabric? I'd REALLY appreciate any help on that!!!!^.~

BayushiKachiko
09-29-2003, 01:46 AM
Not a problem. =)

I've made arm-sleeve thingies before, and what I did was took a piece of elastic that would fit my upper arm snugly (but not painfully) and would stay up where I wanted. I then took a piece of fabric (I used rectangles--Akasha's outfit -might- need squares instead) that was the right width at the end that would be hanging free, near or past the wrist. I then sewed up the hems along all four sides, but I left wnough space on one of the width hems open enough that I could thread the elastic through. After that, all I did was sew the elastic up.

Essentially, think about making curtains for your arms. The curtain rod is the elastic piece, and the sleeve part is the curtain itself. Sorry for the lousy analogy, LoL. It looks like all you'd need to do for the sleeves would be sew little gold beads every few inches along the edges--not too tough.

The arm bands you can usually find at places like Claires and maybe Hot Topic, or any place that might sell Indian (as in, from India) or Native American jewelry.

For the skirt, I'd probably make an a-line skirt for the base, and maybe add another layer of a more gauzy material in a sarong/wrap around style.

Hope that helps!

Vani
09-29-2003, 06:56 PM
Dude....you SO ROCK MY WORLD!!! lol Thanks sooooo damn much for all of your help...you have NO idea how much this all helps me! You'll have to be the first person I show when my costume is finito!! *hugs* THAAAANKS!!!!!^^

BayushiKachiko
09-29-2003, 11:02 PM
Huzzah! ^.^!!

I can't wait to see how it turns out. =)

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

angel
10-08-2003, 10:06 PM
Dude....you SO ROCK MY WORLD!!! lol Thanks sooooo damn much for all of your help...you have NO idea how much this all helps me! You'll have to be the first person I show when my costume is finito!! *hugs* THAAAANKS!!!!!^^

did you figure out how to do the headpiece

BayushiKachiko
10-09-2003, 05:35 PM
For the base part of the headpiece, I would use a the undecorated base piece for a bridal headband (You can get these at Craft Stores like JoAnns). Then, you could use foam pieces to get the proper height. THat should make the head piece lots easier to deal with. I would use jewelry pieces (also available at craft stores in the beading section) or pieces bought from stores like Claires to do the actual decorations. =)

angel
10-09-2003, 05:44 PM
For the base part of the headpiece, I would use a the undecorated base piece for a bridal headband (You can get these at Craft Stores like JoAnns). Then, you could use foam pieces to get the proper height. THat should make the head piece lots easier to deal with. I would use jewelry pieces (also available at craft stores in the beading section) or pieces bought from stores like Claires to do the actual decorations. =)
thanks i'll try that