PDA

View Full Version : Mr.Lovett Striped Bustle Strolling gown fabric

xxmossgardenxx
07-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Before anyone gets mad, I did do a search of the forum. The Sweeney Todd thread is very much dead (and older), and I did not find much to help me with this gown.

I have been searching quite a bit to find the right fabric for this gown, however I am having a very hard time finding a good fabric for this gown. Most of the red and white stripped fabric I come across is for picnic cloth.
(I realize that I will more than likely have to hand paint in the smaller stripes in between the larger ones. But if you can help me find a fabric that is pretty dang close, I will love you forever.)

I am also quite lost as to what fabric would work and drape beautifully for this gown.
I've found patterns to use, it's just the fabric that is holding me up on this project.

Shots of the gown can be found here: http://www.costumersguide.com/sweeney5.shtml

Any help you can give on this gown is greatly appreciated. And if you have made this gown, and tips or tricks you can give me are also greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Garen
07-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Ooh, I'd forgotten about that dress. Nifty pleat-darts on the bodice are nifty. To be honest, the best choice would probably be silk, or a similar synthetic. I.. can't really see it working out too well in cotton, although I suppose one could try and I'd love to be proven wrong. Best places to look would probably be this very handy site (http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com), or a similar one.

alpha_helix
07-11-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm actually pretty sure the stripes are ribbons, individually sewn on the red fabric.

xxmossgardenxx
07-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Thank you. I got that confirmation over on LJ in the cosplay community. And here I was wasting my time looking for a similar fabric.
Makes my life a whole lot easier. Thank you!

alpha_helix
07-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Lol, I'm not sure if having so sew on all those ribbons is going to make your life easier!

xxmossgardenxx
07-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Well true. But better than hand painting in stripes I would guess.

Garuda_Aiacos
07-12-2010, 02:33 AM
How about "paste" them on using one of those Heat-Bond Tape?

Tho' that is a more expensive way and got to be careful when washing the dress.

alpha_helix
07-12-2010, 11:00 AM
I imagine all that glue would adversely affect the drape of the dress. You're already adding a lot of extra stiffness with the ribbons.

xxmossgardenxx
07-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Yes, plus the tape needs to be see threw in spots so that the red shows through to create the striping.

UchihaGirl
07-13-2010, 06:31 PM
As someone who attempted this dress....I can say this: Glue was horrid for the project. Made the fabric unbelievably hard. Like, brick hard. I quickly passed on that idea....which led me to hand-painting. Now, I am not the best artist in the world, and after two strips, I hated it and gave up because it didn't look right.

Since then, I've been scouring the fabric world for the perfect underfabric and ribbons to match. The underfabric has horizontal lines (the red fabric that is actually under the ribbons) the ribbons are a variety of stripes - some are 3 sections, some are 5 and some are 7. No wiring and sheer.

Other thing I'd like to add - the red stripped fabric is also sheer. There is two layers to the bodice and skirt parts, with a full red lining underneath. In the pictures (http://www.costumersguide.com/fidm2007/experiencela/sweeney1.jpg), you can see the sheerness on the sleeves, and the ruffles.

Good luck, friend. I'll tackle this beast another day.

xxmossgardenxx
07-13-2010, 07:02 PM
I am thinking that to save myself, I may try to find a stripped red fabric, that is a little thicker to save myself. If it can not be helped though, I may just have to stick to doing that. I noticed the different ribbon, but the most I counted was 3. I have not seen the 7.

Thank you so much for this tho!

mdelgiorno17
07-13-2010, 10:35 PM
I am thinking that to save myself, I may try to find a stripped red fabric, that is a little thicker to save myself. If it can not be helped though, I may just have to stick to doing that. I noticed the different ribbon, but the most I counted was 3. I have not seen the 7.

The ribbons with 7 stripes are on the skirt.

alpha_helix
07-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Timely tresses sometimes stocks this one kind of ribbon that would be perfect if they weren't wired. The wiring is very light, but in that quantity it would be problematic. cheeptrims.com has organza ribbon with solid edges. Not exact, but will look damn close to most who've only seen the movie. The minimum buy is a 100yd spool, but you will probably need that much, and for 5-10$ a spool, you can't beat the price.

The red looks like silk organza.

UchihaGirl
07-13-2010, 11:11 PM

3 stripes - bodice and sleeves
5 stripes - ruffle pieces and skirt
7 stripes - skirt

On the skirt, it more or less goes 7-7-5 repeatedly. Yep, I had studied the details that much....>_< I'm such a dork

xxmossgardenxx
07-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Oh! Sorry no, I mean I only saw 4 stripes, as in red coming through. I was not counting the white as well. Sorry for that.

I was thinking it was a silk organza too. However without a job, I doubt I can afford that type of material. Any other material suggestions?

alpha_helix
07-14-2010, 10:51 PM
thaisilks.com has silk organza for 7.65 per yard, which is comparable in price to many synthetics, and will look nicer. It doesn't have the little stripes, though, but as far as fabric quality, you'd have to really luck out to beat that price. You will probably need 7-9 yards. I can vouch for the quality of thai silks organza, I used it for my pink dress of DOOM.

xxmossgardenxx
07-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Alright thank you for that. The biggest part about this, is it's what I want for my 21st birthday. So I am planning everything out, finding where I need to get things. That was I can give a list, and give plenty of warning.