PDA

View Full Version : Casual Steampunk.

Lexandra
07-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Hey world.
I was so eager for this Steampunk-dedicated forum to arrive and now i'm having my thread in it.
Aha!
Anyways.

Am I the only one here wearing steampunk-ish things as casual outfits?
If not, then come here to talk about it, share your knowledge!!

C:
You didn't know you could wear steampunk casually?
Stick around, you might be surprised. C:

Cadmium Polyphony
07-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Being a steampunk crossplayer, its a bit tricky for me to be more casual with my garb; at the very least, choices seem limited, when I try to stick to authenticity that is.

Braithcakes
07-12-2010, 10:17 PM
I don't, but alot of my friends on brassgoggles.co.uk do.

but then again, they aren't cosplayers, just...steampunks.

Lexandra
07-12-2010, 10:28 PM
I don't, but alot of my friends on brassgoggles.co.uk do.

but then again, they aren't cosplayers, just...steampunks.

Hahaha well I don't consider myself a STEAMPUNK.
But I do try to wear steampunk casually here and there. C:
But when I wear it heavilly at Cons, I don't consider it 'cosplay'

You know?

MPsy
07-13-2010, 03:03 AM
My day to day wear has sometimes been considered causal 'steampunk'. Usually consist of graphic tee, vest with pocketwatch chain, paperboy hat, jeans, large belt buckle, cowboy boots, and leather satchel (camera bag).

Braithcakes
07-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Hahaha well I don't consider myself a STEAMPUNK.
But I do try to wear steampunk casually here and there. C:
But when I wear it heavilly at Cons, I don't consider it 'cosplay'

You know?

erm, yeah...well, unless you make it to be a costume it isn't exactly a costume ^^ just a fashion.

same with lolita, lolita isn't cosplay, it's fashion, same as dandy and steampunk and stuff :3

mandi_uchiha
07-16-2010, 08:43 AM
I'm starting to get into steampunk fashion, but i've got no clue if it would be wise to wear it casually to my sixth form >.> like just little bits of it like the boots and such items?

Mangochutney
07-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Go for it, Mandi. Steampunk is the easiest thing in the world to mix into more casual clothes, and since it's usually -more- formal than what you'd normally be wearing, few authority-figure types will object.

I don't know what your boots look like, but I imagine pretty much any boot with a long skirt and a nice blouse and vest, or with knickerbockers and a nice jacket, would be more than fine. I would advise that you leave the more prop-like things at home (i.e. guns, goggles, armored things, etc) until you have a better idea of what's acceptable. Even then it's almost certainly best to let the ray-gun wait for an event.

godmi
07-16-2010, 12:22 PM
I do! At least in the winter time. I work too much in the summer to have free time except for conventions.

But in the fall and winter, I get to bring out my lace and ruffles and lace-up boots and vests. And hats! How could I forget all of the glorious hats and ascots and scarves to come out of the steampunk world? Those cute bustier-type-things are nice too, but they're often too formal to just go to class in. Even at a liberal arts college, people still make inquiries about casual steampunk ensembles.

mandi_uchiha
07-16-2010, 01:04 PM
@Mangochutney - I'll attempt my mixes and matches then =D and i'll see my reactions ^.^

Kaoshima
07-19-2010, 10:40 PM
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu313/Kaoshima/Me/IMG_0048crop.jpg

This is an outfit I first wore going out to the Edgar Allen Poe museum in my town with a friend. (He lived there for a couple years) As you can see, it's definitely steampunk influenced but whether or not it's completely "Steampunk" is open for interpretation. I don't personally care either way, I just think it looks kinda cool.

And I wear that hat and those goggles with almost everything actually. :P

lyraparry11
08-01-2010, 04:03 PM
I consider a lot of my clothes steampunk inspired, though not totally outright steampunk. I wear black leather boots everyday in the winter (and whenever it's cold enough in general really), and I like the sort of colors steampunk uses (brown, dark reds, purples, blues, army green, tan, grey, black). I handmade my goggles and I've worn them to the fourth of July fireworks and stuff.

Archangelz
08-01-2010, 11:27 PM
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu313/Kaoshima/Me/IMG_0048crop.jpg

This is an outfit I first wore going out to the Edgar Allen Poe museum in my town with a friend. (He lived there for a couple years) As you can see, it's definitely steampunk influenced but whether or not it's completely "Steampunk" is open for interpretation. I don't personally care either way, I just think it looks kinda cool.

And I wear that hat and those goggles with almost everything actually. :P

Dude, as they seem to say in my part of Northern California now, your outfit is totally legit. Well done.

Kaoshima
08-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Dude, as they seem to say in my part of Northern California now, your outfit is totally legit. Well done.

Thank you. XD

Ahhdamnpagiers
08-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Hey, so im Autumn. and i also mix in my steampunk with a couple different looks, i often wear bronze aviator goggles, but i currently have neon pink and purple hair, (different color every 2 weeks) i also pair is up with flat Asian inspired boots, the kind that are all loose and you tie them on the sides, some times il wear a nerd vest and mini skirt, or military type jacket and dark jeans!! im called alot of things, such as living anime, cyber punk, geek, weirdo, lol yeah, but i say no one should be scared to mix it up. because if you have enough passion it always turns out, and honestly causal steampunk is always best when your not at a con, nless of course you like the attention.

Aleanna
08-17-2010, 01:38 AM
I've been trying to miss some steampunk into my outfits. It's tricky, because I don't have much, but it's fun to add just a dash to spice up my "normal" clothes.

juusanbantaigrr
09-01-2010, 08:25 AM
I wear steampunk casually all the time. In fact, most of my outfits are more casual than costume-y :D