PDA

View Full Version : How about a Renne fair type meeting at AM?

JoeBoeing
09-22-2003, 04:15 PM
Hi all,

I just had a thought... what would you guys think of a wearing your Renne Faire costumes at AM for a short gathering?

I'm working on a Gypsy costume and it should be about done by AM.

From,
Joe

AM Chair
09-22-2003, 05:54 PM
Are you nuts? This is an ANIME con. Before you know it, we'll have SCA people in here. Chill

Nadeshiko
09-22-2003, 06:02 PM
at first glance, I thought it was going to be an invasion of the popstars. ^_^;

ZiggyB
09-22-2003, 07:58 PM
AM Chair: I'll bet you already have SCA people at AM, they are just wearing anime costumes. :-D

BlueLady
09-22-2003, 09:00 PM
damn us SCA peeps!!! LOL

yeah we are around dorking up the cons, however I agree that it ( renne costumes) isnt really appropriate for an anime con. Unless there is a rennaisance anime...haha

Tetsugyu
09-23-2003, 12:32 AM
I actualy agree with Revell. But then....

I'd be a hypocrite for wanting Battle Royale cosplay when that's not anime. If you can get SCA to be paying entrants into AM, I'm sure all will be accepted ;)

AM Chair
09-23-2003, 12:40 AM
I actualy agree with Revell. But then....

I'd be a hypocrite for wanting Battle Royale cosplay when that's not anime. If you can get SCA to be paying entrants into AM, I'm sure all will be accepted ;)

When you think about it, you could get away with it...wench from scene in Lodoss Wars or something...

Tetsugyu
09-23-2003, 12:43 AM
Hey that's true.

Like the Arch Mage said: Rules that cannot be broke, can surley be bent.

Um...can I get a "What What!" for David Warner? (Arch Mage, from Gargoyles, Voice Actor)

AM Chair
09-23-2003, 06:06 PM
Hey this reminds me: anyone remember that guy cosplaying Jesus at AX??? That's about as daring as Man Faye, yet very ingenious for getting souls from anime.

A J
09-23-2003, 07:47 PM
Are you nuts? This is an ANIME con. Before you know it, we'll have SCA people in here. Chill

Are we policing what people can wear at cons now? I'm not saying it's appropriate for an anime con, but if Joe really wanted to wear his renfaire gear at the con, I don't think you could stop him. :)

-AJ

AM Chair
09-23-2003, 08:33 PM
For the sake of debate, sure I could. We've always had that card. You don't have an inalienable right to wear whatever you want at any con. But is it wise to prohibit it? Prolly not. He could be a Hobbit for all I care, but he would sure stand out in an obvious anime con. It would be like me at a Klan rally.

Tetsugyu
09-23-2003, 10:46 PM
Hey this reminds me: anyone remember that guy cosplaying Jesus at AX??? That's about as daring as Man Faye, yet very ingenious for getting souls from anime.
I think the greatest tragedy of all is that, we even consider a guy dressed as Jesus cosplaying. I call it "Fanatical Christianity"

For the sake of debate, sure I could. We've always had that card. You don't have an inalienable right to wear whatever you want at any con. But is it wise to prohibit it? Prolly not. He could be a Hobbit for all I care, but he would sure stand out in an obvious anime con. It would be like me at a Klan rally.

OMG...

As much as I can delight in making fun of the stupidity that is racisim...that comparison is just not fair.

I can't believe I'm saying this!

I hate non-anime "cosplay" as well. Which brings be back to the Hypocrite thing...but then again BR was a Manga...

Anyway, he would not stand out that much. Not if he was standing next to that Lodoss wench or in a similar element.

But you at a Klan Rally is JUST as disheartening as Joe wearing his Ren Fair costume at an Anime Con.

Put it this way: Would you wear your Anime Costume at a Ren Fair? That's what you should ask yourself if you're trying to decide on it.

duck
09-23-2003, 10:50 PM
I wore my faire garb to Fanime 2003(well, one of my many combinations of garb).=)

But then, I also had a sign saying "Prithee, what is all this ah-nime?"

JoeBoeing
09-23-2003, 10:57 PM
Well, it was just a suggestion... heck people wear Harry Potter and LotR to cons as well as Star Wars and Star Trek... I say it adds spice.

But I'm not sure if I can complete the entire outfit by then. I can get most of it but the boots will probibly have to wait a month or so.

I'll be buying the cloth for the shirt and pants this Thursday when I go to Barron's when they have their sale.

From,
Joe

Claire
09-23-2003, 11:24 PM
Ooohh boc.

Slighty off topic:

My friend's dad was the guy cosplaying Jesus. He is a VERY cool guy, and did it because he wanted to be involved with his daughter's hobby. He had no idea what to dress as, so decided to be the Buddy Christ from Dogma. My friend have the thumbs up, so he went for it. While wandering around alone, he bumped into some Hellsing cosplayers, and whackiness ensued. *lol*

Back on topic:

I think that allowing any kind of costume at an anime con is great, because it shows that even though the con itself is focused on anime, it doesn't descriminate against people who enjoy other things. It's silly for people who dress up like imaginary animated characters from Japan to get snippy about people dressing up like imaginary characters from America (or live action, or China, or the UK, or hundreds of years ago..). Besides, Revell, you allowed that HUUUUUUUUUGE Star Wars presentation, and Star Wars is NOT anime. Or Japanese. Sure, it's got that manga, but just about everything has a manga these days. If you wanted to discourage people cosplaying non-anime related things at Ani-magic, you blew it with the SW thing. ^^;

I personally think it's great. If you want, you can say only Japan-related things should be allowed in the masq, but it's wonderful being able to just run around in whatever and still have fun. :)

Maryssa
09-24-2003, 12:03 AM
Thats the thing. It's not like people want to say NO YOU ARENT ALLOWED TO BE ANYTHING OUTSIDE OF ANIME... it's just, the line has to be drawn somewhere otherwise you will have way too high a percentage of non-anime in relation to anime, which is the REASON you are at the con to begin with =/ I think we all understand that no one wants to discriminate, but as I have stated many times in the past, it is a matter of what is appropriate.

Although I can kick myself in the head right now and call myself a hypocrite by really wanting to wear my Neopets halloween costume to the con just because I like it so much >=p

K_Valentine
09-24-2003, 12:05 AM
The One They Call Pimp$ucon: It's not hypocritical actually. It does relate to Japanese entertainment. After all, they did release a manga. Though one can argue that the chara designs / uniform designs are different. Most cons do welcome J-related-entertainment in masquerades and special events. (ex: J-rock cosplay...though I don't know too much about it)

As for the Jeebus at AX, he was a pretty cool guy. I also believe that he was cosplaying as Buddy Jesus from Dogma. Makes you wonder when we're going to see an Amaretsu (sic?) cosplay...

Claire
09-24-2003, 12:47 AM
Thats the thing. It's not like people want to say NO YOU ARENT ALLOWED TO BE ANYTHING OUTSIDE OF ANIME... it's just, the line has to be drawn somewhere otherwise you will have way too high a percentage of non-anime in relation to anime, which is the REASON you are at the con to begin with =/ I think we all understand that no one wants to discriminate, but as I have stated many times in the past, it is a matter of what is appropriate.

One could argue that, overall, hall cosplayers don't make a difference when it comes to what the con is about. Just because people are cosplaying Harry Potter, Star Wars, Battle Royale, or whatever to anime cons doesn't mean they're suddenly going to be come Harry Potter cons, y'know? The video rooms still show anime, the panels are still anime related, and the dealer halls are still stuffed wall-to-wall with everything anime.

A lot of people don't have cons like Dragoncon or San Diego Comic Con to go to and show off their non-anime costume, so they do it at anime cons. Sometimes people are just getting into the spirit of cosplay and wearing whatever they have - they're having fun, and that, I think, is the point of ANY con, above or equal to the theme of the con itself.

But I do agree with drawing the line, and I think the line should be in masquerades - I have no problem with cons disallowing non anime/video game related entries in masquerades. That is totally acceptable because it is a convention event, and they reserve to right to keep it entirely on-topic. Cons that have events for non-anime costumes are doing so as a favor to attendees.

AM Chair
09-24-2003, 03:09 AM
See, we've got a friendly debate going here. For those who couldn't handle my previous analogy, go with George Carlin: "You can wear a baseball cap to a football game; but if you wore a football helment to baseball game, they'd take you away, man!" In any case, you could wear almost any costume in our con, as long as it's reasonably on topic ( and in good taste, which Man Faye is not). But Maryssa brought up the very point I could make about too many non anime costumes at an anime event. And actually there IS a con for them in the LA area known as LOSCON, the oldest SF con in the west held over Thanksgiving weekend. But if someone had a good cosplay half time skit from Lord of the Rings, I'd have them on, because after all, I'm a showman, and I like to keep you entertained, hence the Star Wars skit, in which a lot of anime cosplayers had shown their versatility in switching from anime to fantasy film. *tips hat to Gina, Karisu-sama and family* It's a spicy bit of variety that would have lost meaning if we had Darth Mauls and Hobbits roaming the place like it was normal. And it's also a matter of craft, we come together to admire each others work, so it really wouldn't matter too much what you wore, so long as it was done well. Knowing Joe, he wouldn't throw on rags and call himself a gypsy. He's better than that.

Tetsugyu
09-24-2003, 04:54 AM
The One They Call Pimp$ucon: It's not hypocritical actually. It does relate to Japanese entertainment. After all, they did release a manga.

"The One they Call Pimp$ucon" ? You mean "The one I named as the 'Sining Pimp$ucon in my Fanime tribute music video." Hey...why didn't I get any filming credit on that! You know hard it is to film tom driving on Nothern California freeways??? I'm kidding.

But yeah...I made that argument about the Manga. It's still hypocrtical because it still isn't anime...but is Japanese entertainment.

One thing is for sure, there is no solid answer. A comon ground has been established...and a line that should not be crossed. Oh and Revell...that wisdom you gave us from Carlin was the same thing I said before:

"Would you wear your anime costume to a Ren Faire? If not, then why wear a Ren Faire costume to an Anime Con? If so, then you're good to go."

potato, po-tat-o

BlueLady
09-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Seriously I go to faires many many times a year ( sca here) and Ive seen people get harassed for wearing non appropriate costumes.. The nicest coments.. " I see thee faire sir ( madame or whatever) that you were unaware of your location/ garments. Translation, stop throwing our theme to hell. Wearing renne stuff to an anime cons is more like wearing old jeans and a t-shirt to a wedding. You can wear it , and you can still have fun, but it wont be apprieciated by most. As for star wars, buddy jesus, star wars, no it really doesn't fit either but at least its closer to the genre of the sci fi/fantasy ect that most anime falls into.

Hakaider
09-28-2003, 05:36 AM
Anime Cons have been growing in popularity year after year, so there's really no danger that an anime con will be "overwhelmed" by other genre's cosplayers. More than likely, the other genre's cosplayers will always remain a small minority at anime cons. This fact has been proven historically again & again since AnimeCon 1991 and pre 1991-Project Akon. Throughout the last 13 years of anime convention history in North America, there NEVER has been a case where the other genre's cosplayers have overwhelmed or outnumbered anime cosplayers at anime cons. Sci-fi and anime have a long & shared history of going hand in hand together in terms of both cosplay, panels, and screenings since the 1960's so historically, sci-fi cosplayers weren't really out of place at past anime cons. In fact, anime fandom wouldn't be where it is today if not for the support of the sci-fi cons. Many sci-fi conventions have also welcomed anime cosplayers for many years. ( Like Dragon Con which also allow anime entries in their Masquerade.)

Heck, I even cosplayed as Indiana Jones and Darth Vader at last year's AniMagic and I enjoyed the camraderie among friends and had tremendous fun at the con. (In fact, it was the most fun that I had at a con in recent years.) We did even a non competitive Star Wars play last year at the Masquerade half-time show with the Con chairman's and Masquerade coordinator's approval.

There was also a Lara Croft and Harry Potter cosplayer at AniMagic last year. Mind you though, many of these same cosplayers were also anime cosplayers, so they switched back & forth between genres. ( And for the record, I cosplayed Macross as well, so I too, switched back & forth between genres as well.)

Just because anime cosplayers cosplay other genres doesn't mean that they are lesser anime fans or aren't "loyal" enough.

It's a misconception that Animagic is intolerant of cosplayers cosplaying genres other than anime. If anything, AniMagic has been very liberal & gracious with anime cosplayers cosplaying other genres.

If you've noticed, there's even a Matrix and Battle Royale gathering at this year's Animagic, which defintely isn't anime. There are other cons( Which shall remain unnamed) that aren't as gracious or tolerant.

The masquerades at anime cons of course, understandably allows only anime & manga entries to compete because it's supposed to be a contest /showcase of anime & manga costumes and are held in a different standard from hall cosplaying. (Although Project Akon has a different policy and does occasionally allows non-anime entries to enter and win.)

However...the point of the original thread here isn't really about wearing anime and other genre's costumes.

The big sticking point here is that Joe Boeing in his original post was asking to have a Renn Fair event at an anime con. (Which IS inappropriate for an anime con.)

There's a BIG difference between wearing an SCA costume at an anime con and asking to have an SCA event at an anime con. I've attended SCA events before and I can tell you that many of them wouldn't expect to see an SCA event either at an anime con.

Joe, if you really want to go to an SCA event, and dress up as a gypsy, then perhaps you might want to check out a Renn Fair event instead of asking the chairman, Revell to have an SCA event. There are several Renn Fairs that are being held annually in California, and they have their own websites that can be easily found with any search engines.

allyunion
09-28-2003, 07:34 AM
Technically, aren't people excusing the whole Matrix thing on the "AniMatrix"?

Tetsugyu
09-28-2003, 05:11 PM
Technically, aren't people excusing the whole Matrix thing on the "AniMatrix"?

Yes, in the same way people are excusing Battle Royale because of the Manga.

AM Chair
09-28-2003, 06:47 PM
Kinda beating a dead horse here. We don't have fashion police, just good taste. There is NO place for a renne fair gathering however, as proposed.
Bottom line is stay in fomat. We don't need a lot of renne fair people no more than they need a complment of Street Fighter cosplayers at their events.

JoeBoeing
09-28-2003, 07:07 PM
Hakaider - I never said I want a big thing out of this. I just wanted a photo shoot... but like I said earlier I most likely won't be able to finish it in time and now it looks like I defenitly wont because I have exausted my funds for fabric and other cos-play stuff.

It was just an idea.

Anyways, this thread can be closed.

From,
Joe

Karisu-sama
11-10-2003, 03:44 PM
(And I've seen a Dr. Who cosplayer at an East Coast Renfaire because, DUH, the character's specialty is time travel! ;) )

A costume "out of synch" here and there is one thing, but a whole very-different genre gathering is another. Matrix and Battle Royale don't look quite so different from regular anime costuming, and so don't seem so jarring. Anime tends to have a lot of SF/fantasy elements, so generic SF/fantasy-type costumes would probably fit fairly well.

I believe Admin actually had a photoshoot setup for Renfaire cosplay at some point, unless I am mis-remembering.

Anyway: you wish the thread closed - can be done. ^^