PDA

View Full Version : muscle for cosplay

trig009
07-13-2010, 08:17 AM
So I have decided on Chris Redfield from Resident Evil to cosplay. I need a little work to get up to par for the character, thankfully it isn't much and I am in the military so my daily workout will focus more on arm and upper back size.

The reason I am posting this is to see who has questions or maybe ideas that I haven't thought of for getting muscle for their character. For my body it is tough to get above 210lb because it will start to gain strength more than size at that point.

Remember it is about dedication when working out, make every day count and test your limits (you may find new ones)

http://gamerhungary.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/gh-resident-evil-5-chris-redfield1.jpg

Kasinator
07-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Stay tuned. I am currently writing three major workout types for sever bodytypes for cosplay. One for slim, one for sleek and one for muscle. But to spare the lecture, I'll just ask you to click my workout in my signiture for some ideas in the meantime!

trig009
07-13-2010, 08:51 AM
very nice, what do you do when you hit a block for size? last time i just ended up going with the strength and slowly build more size. it did help that i had to carry around a 50 pound ruck all day for 4 weeks :drunk: i really don't want to do that again.

CloudFox
07-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Cool.

ne0ven0m
07-14-2010, 12:49 AM
You're gonna have to just keep on eating more, because size won't come without the required amount of fuel. Of course you want to try to get these extra calories from protein, fiber rich carbs, and healthy fats. A lot of athletes bump their calorie count with shakes, whether you buy pre-made kind, or the better option of just buying some protein powder and making your own.

With the workout, you probably already know you should be doing staples like rows and pull-ups for back development. And for arms, things like dips, narrow grip bench press, and maybe some kind of direct triceps work like cable extensions/skullcrushers. The key is going to be using heavy weights, keeping your rest periods short, and volume. You're gonna want to hit each muscle group 2-3 times a week.

distantarray
07-14-2010, 01:57 AM
You're gonna have to just keep on eating more, because size won't come without the required amount of fuel. Of course you want to try to get these extra calories from protein, fiber rich carbs, and healthy fats. A lot of athletes bump their calorie count with shakes, whether you buy pre-made kind, or the better option of just buying some protein powder and making your own.

With the workout, you probably already know you should be doing staples like rows and pull-ups for back development. And for arms, things like dips, narrow grip bench press, and maybe some kind of direct triceps work like cable extensions/skullcrushers. The key is going to be using heavy weights, keeping your rest periods short, and volume. You're gonna want to hit each muscle group 2-3 times a week.

everything seems good but I don't know about hitting each muscle group 2-3 times a week, usually you should let your muscles fully recover about 4-7 days depending on how sore you are, and occassionally take a week off completely from all exercise to ensure your not over working them.

mountain grip pull ups along with lat pull downs seem to work the best for me for back workout, and drop setting til 5pound is heavy with dumbbells for my arms til are spent.

also most people do the stupid thing with working out and go on such a strict low/no carb diet, remember there's always a time and a place for everything, before you workout try to carb up, like power gels made by powerbar company was basically just packet of cake frosting increasing your insulin before you workout isn't a bad thing, but can be VERY beneficial, even the Gatorade G1 prime series (pre-workout drink) contains 25g of carbs which is quite a lot.

I think most people over do the protein as well when some people take it before during and after workout, since whey protein is a fast digesting protein and 20grams typically takes about 2 hours to fully digest, I can't really see the benefit of taking it before during AND after. I think it's probably good to take it before, and just wait for your post workout meal for some extra protein. especially since your workout shouldn't really go past 1 hour unless your working towards professional goals, and even then it's iffy.

PhDPepper
07-15-2010, 11:53 PM
This may sound a little odd but if your having trouble sizing up, you may be able to size down to look bigger, mostly around the traps, obliques, abs, and lower back area. Proportions actually can have a big effect on how muscular a person will look.

But if you absolutely want that mass, i think the biggest mass building exercises are Squats, Bench Press, Deadlifts, and Clean and Press. I'd do squats for legs day, Bench for chest day, Deadlifts for back day, and Clean and Press for chest day also, unless you have a day set aside for shoulders and arms. Plus good diet, and lots of rest because you'll need the first two sleep cycles bad so you can get the repair and growth hormones throughout your body to recover. (Mostly produced in the first 6 hrs)

After a certain point though, i'd give yourself a break on going heavier because tendons and ligaments typically take longer to repair (Low blood flow + low density tissues) so they're actually more prone to injury then your muscles.

I also sometimes rotate between low number of sets on heavy weights, and high number of sets, supersetted at lighter weights to keep my body guessing, and to build both high density strength muscles, and lower density volumized endurance muscles. Its odd but after my superset cycle, i'm typically able to lift heavier on my heavy cycle.

ne0ven0m
07-16-2010, 12:41 AM
Wow, someone advocating the big compound lifts! I'm starting to think the fitness advice on here is more sound than what you'd see on health forums!

Giant Alucard
07-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Indeed! For size I normally always remember to hit the three Kings (Squats, Bench, Deadlift), since these are like bread and butter if you want to gain size. I also added in the Leg press (since I full that It works my legs a bit better than squats some days), And I normally do dips and pull ups til failure (using the different grips for the pull ups each time). I normally rotate from high weight low rep one week (6 sets of 6 reps) to medium weight high reps (5 sets of 10 reps). I also use Fat Gripz with most of my workouts (with incluse barbells or bars), wince it makes the grips wider, forcing your hand to grip harder and working the muscles a bit more, which enchances the workout a bit for me. Currently I'm trying to cut down all my body fat, so I added on a ton more cardio and crossfit, but I still work all the muscle groups to tone up what I have currently and build what I can. I'll be going back to Bulking up probably after Dragoncon.