PDA

View Full Version : American VS Japanese

Ranma Saotome
05-27-2002, 06:42 PM
http://forums.fighters.net/viewtopic.php?t=16188&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Basically, I post on that board as Ranma. Basically one guy is saying that American cosplayers are trash. I dunno if I made my point or not, but becuase of the cosplay hating, I'm about to just simply leave the board.

What do you guys think?

Rosiel
05-27-2002, 07:29 PM
I read the thread (a break in my panic-sewing) and I have to say you jumped to conclusions a little fast....

I'm not talking US vs Jap here but your pics vs. hers.

Yours were taken at cons, in poor lighting, and were very candid
Hers were obviously at least semi-professional photo shoots. Each picked out of a roll of pictures by the cosplayer, I bet.

The odds were against you.

And the thing is, the emphasis in the US is often on FUN, not perfection, people do characters they like, not characters they look like. It's a different way of seeing cosplay. Sure the pics she showed had better costumes, and the people looked like the characters, but the people on your pics seemed to have a lot more fun. ^____^

Basically, she picked hers for effect.

Had you picked US cosplayers who do photo shoots and pitted those against her it might have given US cosplayers more of a fighting chance. ;)

Ranma Saotome
05-27-2002, 07:52 PM
But that's not it. But look at mine and hers. I mean my costume is better than hers when trying to capture the style of Ranma. What annoyed me is what Hovering said about American cosplayers. Because of that, I left F.net.

Rosiel
05-27-2002, 08:29 PM
> I mean my costume is better than hers when trying to capture the style of Ranma.

Unfortunately I don't know Ranma. >_< So I can't tell.

> what Hovering said about American cosplayers.

Hmmm maybe I missed a post... Because I didn't notice anything overly mean being said... oh well..

I do think the worshipping of Japanese cosplayers is silly. It's the foreign film phenomenon, if they all seem good it's because all the bad ones aren't shown outside their country. LOL.

And sometimes, US cosplayers have advantages. That Deelit cosplayer was good, but Deedlit looks caucasian, so a real blonde girl would have probably looked more real. ^___^

Which makes me think of another thread... that Princess Serenity cosplayer who needed ideas... she would make the PERFECT Deedlit.

Ranma Saotome
05-27-2002, 08:34 PM
^^ Thank you Rosiel-chan. :) Your post made me feel better.

Babbit_Chan
05-28-2002, 12:24 AM
*ahem/gets into her morpheus costume* Isn't cosplay in general, a form a fandom? Aren't we all just fans? There shouldn't be any higher category of cosplayers, much less a racial boundary, as we are all trapped in the one category. In short, we're all the same - resulting appearance in the costume, is, however, the factor in which some people judge when in truth time, love, dedication, quality, and should really be taken in consideration for the final judgement.

It's true that some may look better in a costume, and some costumes may look shabbier compared to others, but there shouldn't be that comparation ^^ The more the love of cosplay, the better the cosplay itself. As long as the cosplayer is having fun, it's all good and we're all the same. Some take it to a more professional level, but all cosplay is what it is: great.

*bows and steps away before the tomatoes set in*

Ranma Saotome
05-28-2002, 12:39 AM
Well Hovering only defense is tha asian cosplayers are sexy and american cosplayers are ugly. I set him straight.

Tenshi
05-28-2002, 12:58 AM
Can we get an AMEN for Babbit-chan? XD

Worshipping Japanese cosplayers over North Americans is ridiculous. While it looks like most Japanese cosplayers go for accuracy, American cosplayers rely more on creativity. There's a serious lack of comedy cosplay in Japan, from what I've seen. The Japanese are pleasing to the eye most of the time, but there's no substitute for a good laugh ^_^.

And I like the originality of American cosplay, too. It's definately difficult to make anime garb come to life, but the extra details really spice up a costume, and I see that happening more here ^_^. Hey, we've both got our good points and bad points. Why are people arguing, again? O_o

Medellia
05-28-2002, 02:00 AM
Having been to both American and Japanese conventions, I totally agree with you guys! The Jp cosplayers are so business-like 0_o they don't really chat or socialize while in costume. With an American cosplayer, you can totally go up, say hi, and chat, and it makes it so much more fun.
You have to admit, tho, the Jp girls are good! I totally love Jp cosplayers, not because they're Jp, but because they do a great job! There are lots of awesome US cosplayers too, like Yaya and Lindze, and I think they get just as much props as the Jp girls do. It shouldn't be a question of Jp vs US, if you put time into a costume, it will show, and you will look glamorous!
And Tenshi is so right, people are starting to get really creative with costumes, and it's the little details (extra rhinestone, some accessories) that really make you stand apart from the 20 other people cosplaying the same costume. So shout outs to all the awesome cosplayers, regardless of where they're from! =D

Ranma Saotome
05-28-2002, 02:08 AM
:)

Duncan
05-28-2002, 11:06 AM
I was going to reply to that to help you, but instead of aruging intelligently, you just cussed them out mostly.

Bad bad bad.

You were digging your own ditch there.

Ina
05-28-2002, 12:20 PM
i agree with duncan, you didn't have to cuss that much while making you point, besides, forget about them anyways, you made your point and they just don't understand, they just shouldn't talk about things that they have no clue about, espescially when they never cosplayed before... anywho, rosiel is sooo right, we're here to have FUUUNNNN ^_^ cosplay is not like a bussiness or something

Ranma Saotome
05-28-2002, 01:12 PM
I know, everyone knows that I am very passionate about cosplay, and that's like a personal attack against me and I do attack like a guard dog.

I eventually calmed down and posted very civil and basically put the goober in his place. :D

Babbit_Chan
05-28-2002, 11:54 PM
Good for you, Ranma *pat pat* As long as life goes on... ^_^

Ranma Saotome
05-29-2002, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Babbit_Chan
Good for you, Ranma *pat pat* As long as life goes on... ^_^

(>")>

>"<

=^_^=

Ginny
05-29-2002, 05:25 AM
and THAT my friends, is why I don't post on message boards. ^.^ People aren't worth the time you take to type.

Wait, why am I posting on a message board? DAMN IT! *runs back to work on A-kon costumes*

Babbit_Chan
05-29-2002, 10:49 AM
Lol! G-chan I think you just trapped yourself XD

Forte500
03-21-2004, 03:59 PM
I don't specifically think Asians are sexy, but if you look on google images at American cosplayers some of them are balls of lard. I say us Americans should stop eating at fast food restaurants! I have never tried cosplaying, but I really want to. As for my own looks...you'll see soon enough.:) In my opinion long nosed European-Americans are sexier than flat nosed Asians (no offence to the Asians out there).

Kanna-chan
03-21-2004, 04:45 PM
In my opinion long nosed European-Americans are sexier than flat nosed Asians (no offence to the Asians out there).

Hey, I'm asian, and I don't have a flat nose. x3

In my opinion, how about we say, they're both good? I've seen piccies of some really good Japanese cosplayers, but I've seen equally good American cosplayers, so can't we just even it out somehow? ^^;

RHIshida
03-21-2004, 04:52 PM
I think when it comes down to it, it really depends on the person themself. It doesn't matter if you have the best costume in the world, if you're not doing it because you enjoy it and want to have fun then you've lost sight of what being a fan and cosplayer is all about.

kyandi-chan
03-21-2004, 06:16 PM
We can all cosplay without being incredibly accurate. Whats the point when something is an exact copy? Its our creativity that matters most...And , it definately suxx0rs if you dont have a good camera.

and about scuffles in the cosplay world, is anything necessary? like this? we shouldnt ever fight, in fact we should help each other. its fun, and if someone else is better, or takes better photos, so what?

give em to me, I'll photoshop em for ya, *wink*. yall just need to chill and bust rhymes at will... *blink* i love all cosplayers, no matter where they're from. its all about the talent and skill! no matter what cosplay someone is doing, just know that they spent time or money into getting it done!

Karisu-sama
03-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Why are we rezzing an old thread about a comparison between some Japanese and some American cosplayers that occurred on ANOTHER MESSAGE BOARD in 2002?

Especially when the thread resurrection is not actually about following up on the original topic, but is an attempt on THIS board to start a "who's better" or "who looks more 'right'" or something comparision on between cosplayers of different nationalities.

Cosplayers are cosplayers. We don't need to start petty detrimental rivalries. I just said goodbye yesterday to the Japanese Exchange Student we have been hosting, and that experience was all about friendship and building bridges and underscoring how much we actually all have in common, not rivalry and "who's better".

This is not an "argument forum". We are not interested in "Cosplay wars". Just say "No" to divisive, non-productive topics on Cosplay.com.