PDA

View Full Version : Interesting/Odd/Unique ways to work out for cosplay/retaining to cosplay

BooBearAkame
07-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Yeeup! I realized I have one of these just now. x3
Well, I normally CANNOT get motivated to lose weight, but I realized I've worked out without knowing it for a few minutes.
So, back before I made props, I bought a couple. Those would be a metal kingdom key and a wooden buster sword. Well, I got bored and started swinging them around (I'm a dork) and I realized it makes a pretty good workout.
I'm so weird and don't have any muscle XDD But, oh well.

ChilmarkGryphon
07-15-2010, 01:02 AM
I like to use the elliptical machines at my college's gym. It feels like shock-absorbed running, with resistance and bounce and weird. Sort of like, say, piloting a mecha/power-armor would feel. The experience is improved by appropriate background music (Cruel Angel's Thesis, etc) XD

bladesworn
07-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Video games.

I play them all day.

I have a treadmill that is set up in front of a tv with all my game systems hooked to it, and with my laptop on shelf that is at just the perfect height to hold it. I use to watch anime but the external hard drive that could play avi's off it by hooking it up to a tv broke.

I have the speed set to 2.0 which means that it's about the equivalent of walking around at con. I occasionally set the speed to 5 or higher and spend a couple of miles running (bad idea to game while running, common sense, not experience, is talking).

I also occasionally take breaks and do other exercises, push ups are good, but if you are going to be cosplaying a martial arts type character, squat jumps help to make your kicks look better. I also like to do marching front kicks, which are kicks done while marching.

Here's how to do them:
1. Pick up a foot off the groung so that your thigh is level with the floor or higher while having your toes point at floor, your toes should also be inline with your shin.
2. Extend the low part of you leg so that your whole leg is now completely straight. Your feet should be curled back so that if you were actually kicking something you would hit with the ball of your foot.
3. Step foward as you put the foot that just kicked down.
4. Repeat with the other foot.

Don't do it fast, do it slow, it helps build the muscles.

Also I find shadow boxing is fun, and that exercises (at least, the more sane ones) from History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (aka History's Mightiest Disciple Kenichi) are good too.

onewingedjade
07-15-2010, 08:26 PM
At my gym each machine has it's own TV, and I schedule my workouts around SciFi/Anime shows. So I get my TV/nerd time in and my workouts, it's double-win, all while listening to my Tekken soundtrack of course.

L33tsaber
07-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Lately, I've been doing the Caramelldansen to warm up before I lift weights.

Yukikittie
07-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Such good advice on here!!!
Practice dances, like Love&Joy.

distantarray
07-23-2010, 12:59 AM
when people think cardio they always think about running, but anything that involves upping your heart rate for a extended amount of time is good cardio. Personally I find that learning how to use a bo staff is GREAT cardio, and it's nice cause when you get good you can also kick someone's ass =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBFD9pVyXFY Chris Marks is great with the staff

also fire poi is a great workout, and actually helps relieve my carpal tunnel quite a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpZgxSakQ98

Yuta is one of the best in the world, imo THE best. It's a lot of fun too =) of course don't start with fire :) starting with long socks with tennis balls are probably a good cost effective way, or even socks stuffed with socks ;)

Hasn't-a-name
07-23-2010, 01:41 AM
@ Bladesworn- I do the same thing!
I find that playing the Wii helps quite a bit, too. Bleach: Shattered Blade is a great way to work out your arms.

fadedsunrise02
07-23-2010, 02:03 AM
@distantarray: I've always wanted to learn some martial arts! Or use of a bo staff. XD It looks powerful and beautiful.

KyasarinUriruzu
07-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Yay! And here I thought I was weird too...

I've totally put my exercise bike in front of a TV with my good ol' Gamecube fired up. XD