PDA

View Full Version : Large Group Skits: Dances or what?

Hanyaan
09-22-2003, 09:59 PM
I might be entering a masquerade as part of a large group (definitely 5, maybe 6 or 7). I'm just wondering, since I've never gotten to see a real masquerade before this one that I might be in, what kind of skit is appropriate? We were so far thinking of having each person get a one-minute song clip to perform a dance and lip-sync to (song in-character)...or we were thinking of doing a real skit. Except we have no clue for how to do a Sandman skit. *dies*

Help help please please?

Ali
09-22-2003, 11:04 PM
Watch for time limits on skits... and know that audiences' minds tend to wander, so short is sweet.
I'm still not a huge masq expert, but I am a terrible audience member, so I could tell you 101 ways to screw up a skit. The best skits, in my opinion, are funny (easier said than done, sadly), surprise the audience (give us something unique), and the casts seem totally comfortable onstage.

Hmm... I doubt this will help, but I hope you can find something useful in it. (hey, it's late, forgive me.)

katrinastrife
09-23-2003, 01:28 AM
I might be entering a masquerade as part of a large group (definitely 5, maybe 6 or 7). I'm just wondering, since I've never gotten to see a real masquerade before this one that I might be in, what kind of skit is appropriate? We were so far thinking of having each person get a one-minute song clip to perform a dance and lip-sync to (song in-character)...or we were thinking of doing a real skit. Except we have no clue for how to do a Sandman skit. *dies*

Help help please please?

One minute per person is WAY too long. X__X That would mean your skit would be 5-7 minutes long, and most conventions only allow 2-3 minutes for your skits. Hrm... I'd say, if you're musically inclined, you should try to find a song to parody. Maybe something popular in the anime community? (anime opening songs, etc?)

I've done two group skits. The first was the full cast of Sailor Moon (9 senshi and starlights) singing and dancing to the song "Sailor War Supreme". We got the award for best group, however, the whole group thing didn't exactly work out for all of us... @_@;;

The second skit I did in a group was with 3 friends and my younger brother. We dressed as "yatta leaf-ed" versions of Evangelion characters, and danced the "Yatta!" dance to our own lyrics of the song. As our finale, my younger brother jumped out in true Yatta! attire as Shinji--in his underwear. o_O;; We got the award for funniest skit, and suprisingly, my brother is still open to cosplaying.

The most important thing, I think, is to make sure the entire group you're in is REALLY into the idea you come up with. If any one of the group members is kinda not-so-into it, you'll end up with drama. so, you should talk with them for ideas, too...

Also, remember that if you want to do singing/dancing, you're going to have to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, or it probably won't look too coherent. If you're planning on doing a skit--comedy routine (like something from "Whose Line is it Anyway?"), or a recreation of one of the scenes from the story--you might want to try your hardest to pre-record your lines and (if you have any) music, so you don't have to worry about speaking up really loud at the masquerade itself: though, this means you probably WILL have to practice lip-syncing.

And, as Ali suggested-- Short and Sweet will win over something long and drawn out, definitely!

^_^;; Hope that helps!

Eccoglyph
09-30-2003, 01:29 PM
Sandman Sandman Sandman!! YAY!!! Sorry - that wasn't helpful. :-)

The way I see it, anything that doesn't violate the Masq rules is "appropriate". Rather than trying to fit in, I'd suggest trying to stand out, either in the nature of the skit, or in the costumes (or both!) Its amazing how many "unique" ideas we've brainstormed, only to find out someone, somewhere, did a remarkably similar skit. Quite the downer. So its worth researching. Don't stress too much over it, though - its meant to be fun! For my group, the Masq makes the convention. Go to http://members.aol.com/deathcom5/ and check out some past con Masq performances - that'll give you a good idea as to what to expect. :-)

Scortia
10-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Give them a short and powerful bang... something that'll stick in their minds... it is very easy to get lost in dialogue unless the subject matter is something universal. I'm a part of a group that'll be doing a 6 person skit and we have hardly any speaking... plus,... handing over mics REAALLLLY drags

Sarcasm-hime
10-04-2003, 01:05 AM
Yes yes yes. Keep it SHORT...audience attention spans are very miniscule, so you gotta give something punchy and then get the hell off the stage while they're still impressed. If you stick around for another 3-5 minutes, the audiene moves from 'impressed' to 'bored' really fast.

Also, avoid in-jokes--make sure everybody can understand the skit, even if they're not familiar with the characters. If you want to have a music clip for each person, keep each clip very short, 15-20 seconds tops.

And I heartily reccommend pre-recording any dialogue. Most masquerades don't provide microphones, and they don't work well with large groups anyways. And without a microphone, nobody's going to hear you past the first few rows unless you're an opera singer.

As for Sandman skits...I don't know what you have in mind, but what my hubby and I did for Worldcon recently was this: We were two different versions of Morpheus, and the first (and only) idea to stick in my head was "Dancing With Myself" by Billy Idol. So the MC announced us in a very melodramatic way, wondering what would happen with two Dreamlords, would there be a terrible battle? and then the song started, and we danced, and people laughed. ^_^ It went over well.

Ali
10-05-2003, 03:55 PM
Ha ha... sounds like a wonderful skit, Sarcasm-hime!

I think I'm gonna have to agree on the pre-recorded dialouge/music... The only skit that I've had where everyone was able to hear was when I was the only one who did the talking (I do theatre, often without mics, so I've got projection skills. ^_^) .

Hanyaan
10-23-2003, 05:45 PM
I'm now thinking of doing a skit where we present Rejected Skit Ideas. (Example: "We're the Endless, Steppin' Time, we're the Endless, steppin' time, never need a reason, never need a rhyme, we're the Endless, steppin' time!) And the end would be "Aw screw it. We'll never have a funny skit." (But we've been doing such weird skit ideas that it actually was funny.) Has anybody heard of We're The Endless Steppin' Time before though? Because I thought of that just the other day and everybody thought it was hilarious but didn't want to do it if somebody else that people know of has done that...