PDA

View Full Version : Weapon's Policy

MDA
07-15-2010, 02:20 AM
Before anyone tells me to contact the Weapons Master, I have. And I got an email back from someone else saying that the weapons policy would be posted soon. That was a month and a half ago. Still waiting.

So I'm wondering, if any of you could tell me at least a little bit of what they do and don't allow. Last year I had my keyblade, but that was a standard thing, and I knew it was allowed from one of my friends having theirs on the Friday. I'm considering bringing Oblivion (assuming I can take it on the train, and this depends on if I take Anti-Riku). But Oblivion is not the issue I'm addressing.

I'm really wondering what their policy is on metal chains >_> I still have yet to fix my weapons for Rider, and I really need to know if I can have my chains or not. Or else I shall be looking for plastic ones, and I don't want to do that a few days before the con or something. I would like to know soon so I can get that out of the way. I only wonder about this because at AN I went through a big hullabaloo to get my chains cleared, and had to explain to them about being told I could have them.

For an idea... the metal chains are each 5 feet long (and there's 2). Each is attached to a wooden spike (spike isn't actually pointed), secured with a hook and a keyring. At the opposite end of each chain is a metal hoop (about the size of my palm / I have small hands), attached to the chain with a keyring.

Will I be allowed to have this? I'm only posting this because I'm tired of checking and waiting for the weapons policy to be posted on the official site.

The*Fallen*One*
07-15-2010, 08:32 AM
When it comes to the Weapon's Policy for many cons, they really do not like allowing metal weapons into their events. Too afraid of people getting hurt from being hit by one. Typically, they will only allow metal in a weapon if it is part of the inner support structure, and can not hurt anyone.

For safety's sake, as well as to make it easier to get through the Weapon's Check, I would suggest going for the plastic chains. You would be cleared through the check much quicker, not to mention the props will be that much lighter to carry. Fortunately you can get plastic chains in nearly any color and thickness, so it should be fairly easy to get the ones you need for her weapons.

Khaos Akuma
07-16-2010, 02:31 AM
Best thing to do, send a picture to the organizer of the con for a 100% answer. Get the answer directly from the horses mouth. xD Oh wait u already did that xD I agree with the plastic idea. Then again waiting for the info from them as well is an idea. Or re-e-mail they may have forgotten about you.

The*Fallen*One*
07-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Best thing to do, send a picture to the organizer of the con for a 100% answer. Get the answer directly from the horses mouth. xD Oh wait u already did that xD I agree with the plastic idea. Then again waiting for the info from them as well is an idea. Or re-e-mail they may have forgotten about you.

You forget how many hundreds of people are attending Otakuthon? I doubt the organizers have the time to sift through hundreds of E-mails and personally answer every single one of them.

Khaos Akuma
07-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Well if the e-mail is sent to the person who is in charge of said division I don't see why not. When friends and I have question we sent them and have gotten answers and this was for AN. Ya never know never hurts to at least try.

Mokmo
07-17-2010, 12:26 AM
weapons (at) otakuthon (dot) com

trixyloupwolf
07-17-2010, 12:27 AM
normaly they do answer
its email theyr suposer to look at its only theyr departement so yeah

so try it out

good luck
friendly
trixy

Midli
07-17-2010, 12:47 AM
I hope they canned their weapons master from last year or s/he hired better staff. They allowed someone through with this; http://www.marksman.com/1010c_apistol.php . The cosplayer said it was broken, I examined it and was able to cock and fire it(after making sure no BB's where in the resivoir of course.)

Mokmo
07-17-2010, 04:11 PM
I think there were some changes to the weapons policy department, at least with the fact that there was no one at te tables at some times. The rules changed too, a gun that can fire when in working order will not be allowed.

hypersapiens
07-17-2010, 04:21 PM
I hope they canned their weapons master from last year or s/he hired better staff. They allowed someone through with this; http://www.marksman.com/1010c_apistol.php . The cosplayer said it was broken, I examined it and was able to cock and fire it(after making sure no BB's where in the resivoir of course.)

That's funny. Last year a guy on the table didn't want to allow my replica flintlocks in... even though they were clearly non-firing replicas of weapons older than 1890... and were already peace bonded from the last two conventions they'd been to. I had to stuff orange paper in the barrels to satisfy him. I do hope they have someone more experienced this year.

7-19 edit: I just heard that they do. *sound of much rejoicing*

spector
08-11-2010, 11:22 PM
While each convention has slightly different weapons policies, I would suggest that you might not want to have two 5 feet long chains...unless they are made of plastic....and even then, they do present a possible tripping hazard. At Anime North, they are seen as a hazard.

Midli
08-17-2010, 01:53 PM
a friend of a friend of mine had to check in their KFC bucket(it was empty and being used as a prop)... Food for thought on this years weapons check

That guy y'know
08-17-2010, 03:57 PM
a friend of a friend of mine had to check in their KFC bucket(it was empty and being used as a prop)... Food for thought on this years weapons check

I think I know who you're talking about. The person in question jokingly offered to get his bucket tagged, the weapon masters went along with the joke and tagged it.

Kira*chan
08-20-2010, 07:36 AM
I was surprised when I had been waiting in line for registration, and a guy approached me with a weapons check form for my stuffed bear I was carrying as a prop....
I had never expected a stuffed toy to have to go through weapons check...XD;;

As well as a plastic tulip.

Jerseymilk
08-20-2010, 11:25 AM
I had to do the same thing with my Cactuar plushie. Though the staff was really nice and the weapons guy that inspected it was sweet enough to put the tag in an inconspicuous spot and make it a green one to match him. My guess is the weapons people probably were told this year they had to check ANY hand held items after perhaps some complaint about last year maybe. I know they looked almost apologetic to me when I went through.

MDA
08-20-2010, 04:57 PM
I went through weapon's check twice on the weekend. Friday and Saturday. Different weapons.

Friday for my Oblivion keyblade... Saturday for my weapons for Rider. I got the chains changed over to plastic. Now of course I have to go buy a new can of spray paint and redo the chains in silver because I used the wrong kind of spray paint and by the end of Saturday half the paint had come off of them (having a hoop on the other end of the chains was an advantage for carrying).

Rider's weapons -> 34181
Oblivion keyblade -> 34182

Yet on Sunday I didn't have to. And I had a dog collar (with a leash attached), and a small hand-held prop (small enough it sits comfortably in your palm). Never got checked for those when I wore Neuro.